Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News24

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Comments (Page 654)

Showing posts 13,061 - 13,080 of14,394
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The definition of god itself is problematic. There is no universally accepted definition and no facts to define what it is.
Because of this, it isn't really a thing, just an empty headed made up concept that mentally ill people enjoy claiming they have contact with.
Good point! So if you can not define a thing, it is rather silly to claim you know it exists or it doesn't .... right??

It seems, even based on your own description, agnosticism, which you rightly called "the highest form of ignorance", is the right call. There is no way to know ... possibly because there is nothing to know.
henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Computers have a long, long, long way to go. Even a Josephson-junction-superconduc ting-supercomputer could only give us a brute-force simulation of what our brains can do. You could probably program such a computer to recognize a match, pick it up and light a cigarette, but, it would have to be reprogrammed to scratch it's own ass.
Whatever one may say: the nuclear Age is the end . AKWs in a capitalist System is the last for human Society. We will not overcome it, it is too late. Together with the other natural calamities we will not survive as mankind.
henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

RHill wrote:
Oh and on that "designed to fall apart" note ... we are. Momma Nature knows about 'transcription errors' and she knows that if organisms were 'allowed' to live forever or breed indefinitely, we would eventually be passing a lot of seriously screwed up genes down the line. Can't let that happen.
She's in it for the species, boys, so let's keep those zippers up and both hands on the wheel!!!
Humanity had its Chance but it missed it.
henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not I who is equating Faith and Knowledge, rather the Agnostic who declares 'we cannot know'. It is only here, on this particular thread where "Atheism" has liberally been defined as "includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans" etc. In fact, Atheism does not include or encompass these lessor or philosophically ambiguous divergences.
I know there is no God because I have looked, admittedly through other's eyes, at our reality from dancing sub-atomics to filigreed galaxies and he's not there. Anyone who says different best come up with some evidence beyond mere longing. If you relish the 'fog of uncertainty', so be it. Sounds a lot like "fence setting" to me. We're here to argue the one side or the other, not the gray area in-between. Hell, it's so small it's more like an infinitely fine line connecting two points ... not an "area" at all.
I find in the nuclear Age and the final end of man religions are superfluous. Our survival chances as man are Zero. We are on its way of extinction.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
So then, if as Spinoza suggested, we exist as a means for the universe to learn about itself .... is that not a "God" of a sort? Although, by this proposition, I would not see any rationale to believe in "divine intervention" making any sort of sense.
If you were to believe in Spinoza's God, could you really call yourself an "Atheist"?
How would you prove such a God exists? How would you prove such a God does not exist?
The brief descriptions of "Spinoza's God" I have read simply equate "God" to Nature. Nature devoid of any of our popular anthropomorphism's that invest God with what are clearly reflections of our own notions. I really don't believe the Universe wants "to learn about itself". That's what drives us ... the Universe as a system of physical laws lacks even that capacity. "Spinoza's God" just seems an attempt to revere Nature as we would a more conventional reverential 'construct'. Now, if Spinoza was really saying the Universe has it's own motives and goals then that's a Horse of a Different Color. It would be, in fact, the same old song & dance.

On the other hand, we are clearly 'matter organized to such an extent that it wants to understand itself' and perhaps unique or, at least, very rare in the Universe. That does, I believe, place a burden of responsibility upon us, while also investing us with that 'specialness' godbots seem to yearn for. We have some obligation to preserve and utilize our intelligence and make efforts to spread it around. But, ultimately, in a Universe destined for some kind of 'heat death' or 'big crunch', even these goals are entirely of our own ambition, not part of some 'grand scheme' by the disorganized matter that surrounds us.

We are tiny parts of something very big. Scary. Something inside us seems to murmur that if we do the right thing or say the right thing or worship something the right way we can enhance our position. Nope. Nothing knows or care what we do or say. We just have to learn to deal with it. Those who have learned, more or less, to 'deal with it' call themselves Atheists, for lack of a better name.

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Hear hear, finally someone understands why I demand proof from people how lie about god being real...
Agnosticism is not a position, its an excuse for not assessing information that is readily available.
Agnosticism is like not showing up for the exam because you did not do enough homework, and labeling willful ignorance as a "position".
Couldn't agree more!

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The definition of god itself is problematic. There is no universally accepted definition and no facts to define what it is.
Because of this, it isn't really a thing, just an empty headed made up concept that mentally ill people enjoy claiming they have contact with.
There ain't been a god one that wasn't anthropomorped in some kind of way. Invested with all our hopes, dreams and jealousies. Kind of silly really. Even a Universe wanting to understand itself ... a reflection of us.

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point! So if you can not define a thing, it is rather silly to claim you know it exists or it doesn't .... right??
It seems, even based on your own description, agnosticism, which you rightly called "the highest form of ignorance", is the right call. There is no way to know ... possibly because there is nothing to know.
I believe you've missed his point. No offense intended, Agnostics are rocking the boat and that's certainly a step in the right direction!

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever one may say: the nuclear Age is the end . AKWs in a capitalist System is the last for human Society. We will not overcome it, it is too late. Together with the other natural calamities we will not survive as mankind.
We have our minds, our intellects, the resources of a Solar System at our disposal ... if we don't survive it's our own fault. Evolution has provided us a way to survive virtually any calamity. Unfortunately,'stupid' genes seem to be dominant. I like to look at it as if all the wars, all the churches, all the religions, in fact, any thing that breeds ignorance and detracts from our ultimate destiny 'off planet' are, well ... evil.

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

henry wrote:
<quoted text>
We haven't "missed it" yet ... not by a long shot. Given the enormity of the task though, a certain amount of despair seems appropriate.

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

henry wrote:
<quoted text>
I find in the nuclear Age and the final end of man religions are superfluous. Our survival chances as man are Zero. We are on its way of extinction.
If we only stay on the Earth, we are indeed doomed. The "nuclear Age" is as likely to give us propulsion systems that might ultimately save us as it is to destroy us. Let's not be too harsh on the old Nuclear Age. I think we've managed to eek our way through most of the Mutual Assured Destruction scenarios.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

This is not the first time Germany has proposed a final solution.
henry wrote:
<quoted text>

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
The brief descriptions of "Spinoza's God" I have read simply equate "God" to Nature. Nature devoid of any of our popular anthropomorphism's that invest God with what are clearly reflections of our own notions. I really don't believe the Universe wants "to learn about itself". That's what drives us ... the Universe as a system of physical laws lacks even that capacity. "Spinoza's God" just seems an attempt to revere Nature as we would a more conventional reverential 'construct'. Now, if Spinoza was really saying the Universe has it's own motives and goals then that's a Horse of a Different Color. It would be, in fact, the same old song & dance.
On the other hand, we are clearly 'matter organized to such an extent that it wants to understand itself' and perhaps unique or, at least, very rare in the Universe. That does, I believe, place a burden of responsibility upon us, while also investing us with that 'specialness' godbots seem to yearn for. We have some obligation to preserve and utilize our intelligence and make efforts to spread it around. But, ultimately, in a Universe destined for some kind of 'heat death' or 'big crunch', even these goals are entirely of our own ambition, not part of some 'grand scheme' by the disorganized matter that surrounds us.
We are tiny parts of something very big. Scary. Something inside us seems to murmur that if we do the right thing or say the right thing or worship something the right way we can enhance our position. Nope. Nothing knows or care what we do or say. We just have to learn to deal with it. Those who have learned, more or less, to 'deal with it' call themselves Atheists, for lack of a better name.
RE: ".... the universe wanting to learn or having it's own motives ..." .... prove it does or prove it doesn't ..... I'll wait ....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

henry wrote:
<quoted text>
I've often stated that mankind will create it's own successor, either by accident or on purpose. Even if not by our own action .... Evolution does seem to march on .... in the long run, you are correct, mankind is doomed .... but then, so what?
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I've often stated that mankind will create it's own successor, either by accident or on purpose. Even if not by our own action .... Evolution does seem to march on .... in the long run, you are correct, mankind is doomed .... but then, so what?
Do you mean EVERYONE who is born dies? What is THAT for humanity being doomed?

"Every man is at a loss" Quran says, "Except those who believe, do good deeds, enjoin truth to others and show patience and perseverance (received by doing do)"

They die in this world and get eternal life in the next world.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
"Every man is at a loss" Quran says, "Except those who believe, do good deeds, enjoin truth to others and show patience and perseverance (received by doing do)"
Still no word from you as to why your religion abuses, rapes and murder little girls and why you support such barbarity.

“Engaged to the love of my life”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>Do you mean EVERYONE who is born dies? What is THAT for humanity being doomed?

Your quote is very hypocritical, especially when thinking of your attitudes towards atheists, gays, child marriage, and so on.
Dak-Original

Slough, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Belief in supernatural is not good for next life but this life. Beliefs are just that and not the truth as religions portray. Why is this MUQ is minded to deliberately misconstrue a post which correctly warns us to wake up as we are heading for a doom! As per MUQ all is well since what matters is "belief" in his book (which told us of creation lies like other religions) and a better afterlife! If there is a better afterlife then those who lie and let us proceed as specis to the doom by far sooner than the billion years time that our Sun stops supplying the required conditions on the planet.

OH!MUQ! Real GOD will not be content!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove there is a next world. I'll wait ....

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Judged:

Please don't hold your breath. Muq runs from questions like wildfire.
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>Prove there is a next world. I'll wait ....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 13,061 - 13,080 of14,394
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Search the Pagan/Wiccan Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Ex-Disney Star Renounced Christianity and Becam... 5 min Richie T 50
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 6 min Richie T 193,470
Wiccan Threefold Law Is Overrated 23 hr ZenMama1 6
Paganism still suffering from wounds inflicted ... Tue PINCH11 3
Woman Injured in Wiccan Ceremony (Jul '08) Tue PINCH111 3
What is Ritual Sex? (Nov '11) Mon Jumper The Wise 70
Celebrate Spring With an Egg in Your Cocktail Mon Jumper The Wise 1
•••
•••