Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14736 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#11013 May 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it not strange that Muslims in western countries still adhere to Islam?
Who is threatening them with death?
And how about Non Muslims accepting Islam?
PS:
There is no "historical proof" that our prophet even existed!! This is great, what historical proof you are talking about?
Have you Historical proof that Moses, or Abraham or Jesus existed?
Thou art deceived...

The earliest source of information for the life of Muhammad in a historical context (ca. 570/571 – June 8, 632 AD) is the Qur'an, which gives very little information, and its historicity has also been questioned.Next in importance is the s&#299;ra literature and Hadith, which survive in the historical works by writers of second, third, and fourth centuries of the Muslim era (c. 700&#8722;1000 AD). There are also a few non-Muslim sources which are valuable both in themselves and for comparison with Muslim sources.

Attempts to distinguish between the historical elements and the unhistorical elements of many of the reports of Muhammad have not been very successful. A major source of difficulty in the quest for the historical Muhammad is the modern lack of knowledge about pre-Islamic Arabia.

At present, the study of Muhammad, the founder of the Muslim community, is obviously caught in a dilemma. On the one hand, it is not possible to write a historical biography of the Prophet without being accused of using the sources uncritically, while on the other hand, when using the sources critically, it is simply not possible to write such a biography.

The main source on Muhammad's life are Muslim sources written in Arabic, which include the Qur'an and accounts of Muhammad's life written down by later Muslims, based on oral traditions. These sources are known as s&#299;ra and hadith.

There are also non-Muslim sources written in Greek, Syriac, Armenian, and Hebrew by the Jewish and Christian communities. These non-Muslim written sources go back to about 636 AD and many of the interesting ones date to within some decades later.

HEARSAY is NOT 'evidence'.
CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#11014 May 21, 2013

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#11015 May 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
1. No Sizable and Devoted following only does not make some one a "True Prophet"?
But at least they are one of the criterion of a True Prophet, that his teachings and followers pass the test of time.
The real test of a True prophet is in his teachings.
2. To qualify you r own actions as within International Law, is patting yourself on the back.
Which International law was followed when USA attacked Iraq in 2003?
Its request for attack was rejected by the Security council, so it bypassed the UNO itself and launched the attack?
Is that what you call as following International Law?
The so called Superpower has made International law as a mockery.
3. I will say the same about your comment that it is absurd and I also leave it. Tit for tat. Another provision of so called International Law.!!
1. I would think you could expect reliable prophecies from a good prophet. Knowledge of things that no one could know. Did your favorite prophet make any good guesses?

2. I'm going strictly from memory here. I seem to recall warnings, UN sanctions & resolutions, blockades, the formation of a rather formidable multi-national coalition and lots of diplomats exercising their skills (to no avail) before a single shot was fired or bomb dropped. We had the co-operation of the Saudis (our dearest friends) and many other Arab nations giving their implicit approval or at least promising to turn their heads the other way.

I also remember, after the shooting started, the cowardly use of 'human shields' and Iraq's most elite troops surrendering in droves. You people don't even know how to fight for yourselves or your convictions honorably. Yet, you will disfigure young girls for 'honor' reasons while chanting prayers out of your holy books.

I'm not saying the entire effort wasn't CRAZY. You can't 'give' people democracy and freedom. It's like continually giving a child money ... they have no appreciation for it, they do not know the VALUE of it. We should have zapped Sadam, cleaned house a little bit and got the HELL out of there. Same goes for Afghanistan. We got what we came for, get out.

Was it illegal? I don't think so. Was it INSANE, FABULOUSLY EXPENSIVE and ultimately POINTLESS?'Fraid so.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#11016 May 21, 2013
It keeps a large number and you know it. If Islam were true it wouldn't need to have honor killings and such it could gain and keep members on it's own merits. Since violence is needed this shows it is faulty.

We civilized people who use deodorant have no need for such barbaric practices like you beasts.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>So that keeps ALL The Muslims terrified? That is very nice, why cant you use them on your people also?
CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#11017 May 21, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I would think you could expect reliable prophecies from a good prophet. Knowledge of things that no one could know. Did your favorite prophet make any good guesses?
2. I'm going strictly from memory here. I seem to recall warnings, UN sanctions & resolutions, blockades, the formation of a rather formidable multi-national coalition and lots of diplomats exercising their skills (to no avail) before a single shot was fired or bomb dropped. We had the co-operation of the Saudis (our dearest friends) and many other Arab nations giving their implicit approval or at least promising to turn their heads the other way.
I also remember, after the shooting started, the cowardly use of 'human shields' and Iraq's most elite troops surrendering in droves. You people don't even know how to fight for yourselves or your convictions honorably. Yet, you will disfigure young girls for 'honor' reasons while chanting prayers out of your holy books.
I'm not saying the entire effort wasn't CRAZY. You can't 'give' people democracy and freedom. It's like continually giving a child money ... they have no appreciation for it, they do not know the VALUE of it. We should have zapped Sadam, cleaned house a little bit and got the HELL out of there. Same goes for Afghanistan. We got what we came for, get out.
Was it illegal? I don't think so. Was it INSANE, FABULOUSLY EXPENSIVE and ultimately POINTLESS?'Fraid so.
YES... it was illegal
Iraq did not contain the WMD as advertised.
A sovereign country was invaded on a pretense.

Dubya and the US govt thought it was on a crusade.
They expected to be viewed as heros.
IF they had killed Saddam and left, maybe... as it turns out... NO

Did they study their enemy or the history of such attempts. NO!

It is more than merely land... it is a culture foreign to the USA.

This is "The UNITED STATES OF JESUS" <ROLLS EYES> where all things 'Jesus' are good...

except for our youth, they are squandered for politics in useless, illegal wars, with NO GAIN and lots of PAIN.

I once was taught we fought for freedom. Really?
Whom have we freed since WWII?

At what expense?

Was it worth it? not just no... but HELL NO!

Observation... on the wild side!

While we did eventually get bin Laden, had our government contacted the mafia in Sicily, as they did during WWII to have Nazi's killed, Osama would have been dead long ago, and rather cheap at that! <sarcasm>

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#11018 May 21, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr `Crick` considers astrology to be a science. He often speaks disparagingly regarding women and strangely enough for a misogynist he has a penchant for physically `large` men as his avatar.
Make of that what you will...
I do not, nor have I ever, considered astrology a science.

I put it on the same plane, scientifically, with modern day climatology and global warming.

I speak disparagingly of nearly everyone.

You are campaigning for inclusion in that cadre as we speak.

susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#11019 May 21, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Islam has it's numbers only because of the threat of violence if people leave.
There is no historical proof Muhammad even existed.
<quoted text>
Anti Christians and anti jews say the same thing about Jesus and Moses. I personally believe all three existed. You can't have a rational discussion about a fictional character regarding their effect on history.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#11020 May 21, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Coming from the guy who believes that jesus rode on the backs of dinosaurs and that fossils aren't "really there".
Also such greats as: water turning into wine and singing bushes.
All creationists are mentally ill and its a fact.
Jesus was a wizard and turning water into wine was a common charlatans trick. The burning bush also happened, fire is a symbol of holiness.

Texas, USA

#11021 May 21, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
YES... it was illegal
Iraq did not contain the WMD as advertised.
A sovereign country was invaded on a pretense.
Dubya and the US govt thought it was on a crusade.
They expected to be viewed as heros.
IF they had killed Saddam and left, maybe... as it turns out... NO
Did they study their enemy or the history of such attempts. NO!
It is more than merely land... it is a culture foreign to the USA.
This is "The UNITED STATES OF JESUS" <ROLLS EYES> where all things 'Jesus' are good...
except for our youth, they are squandered for politics in useless, illegal wars, with NO GAIN and lots of PAIN.
I once was taught we fought for freedom. Really?
Whom have we freed since WWII?
At what expense?
Was it worth it? not just no... but HELL NO!
Observation... on the wild side!
While we did eventually get bin Laden, had our government contacted the mafia in Sicily, as they did during WWII to have Nazi's killed, Osama would have been dead long ago, and rather cheap at that! <sarcasm>
I dunno. Decisions were made based on the best possible information. We knew (from satellite imagery) they had SCUD missiles, capable of raining chemical/biological (dare I say nuclear) warheads on neighboring countries. They quickly demonstrated this capability by firing these missiles into Israel for the sole purpose of antagonizing them into entering the conflict. Fact is, getting good intelligence information out of Arab countries is very difficult, these regimes are paranoid to a point that is difficult to believe. Admittedly, we were 'out for blood' in response to 9/11 and in the clarity of hindsight ... so yeah, stupid ... maybe, illegal, don't think so. But that's just my opinion and that and dime won't get you a cup of coffee.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#11022 May 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. "Truth will set you free" has many shades of meanings and in such issues there is flexibility and it is not a Dogma.
I prefer the straightforward, literal meaning of the phrase, "Truth will set you free".
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
02. I know that Muslims got divided into sects and each one is giving importance to their own interpretations.

When humans try to understand scripture, there is bound to be some difference of opinions and some disagreements, but they have to be within limits and people should not make sects and each start arguing and condemning others.
I agree that different sects of any religion, including Islam, shouldn’t argue and condemn each other yet this kind of bickering has been going on for centuries and is still going on today.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
03. Sufi teachings based on Quran and sayings and actions of prophet are laudable and no one is against them.
But when some one leaves straight path and starts giving more importance to their visions and their mystical experiences which go against direct teachings of Quran and ways of prophet, they have to be rejected.
Teachings of all past prophets have some basics in common.
Not sure what you mean here. What kinds of visions and mystical experiences would go against the teachings of the Quran?

United States of America

#11023 May 21, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus was a wizard and turning water into wine was a common charlatans trick. The burning bush also happened, fire is a symbol of holiness.
LOL Sounds like you're quoting what the Talmud says about Jesus.

What about healing leprosy and restoring sight to the blind? Were those common charlatans tricks, too?

United States of America

#11024 May 21, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
My Carl Sagan takes your wimpy Robert Jastrow any time. Your quote is typical godbot speak ... trying to whittle the Big Bang down into a magic 'let there be light'. Jastrow must have lost his mind at some point.
Your Carl Sagan? I like Sagan, but he claimed he was an agnostic leaning towards Spinoza's pantheism, NOT an atheist;

Anyway, I'll raise you two more Nobel Laureates, Robert Wilson and Arno Penzias (Big Bang guys) which gives me three Nobel Laureates against your agnostic. You lose, bubba.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#11025 May 21, 2013
Doctors do that all the time using scientific methodology.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
What about healing leprosy and restoring sight to the blind?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#11026 May 21, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL Sounds like you're quoting what the Talmud says about Jesus.
What about healing leprosy and restoring sight to the blind? Were those common charlatans tricks, too?
Healing leprosy, yes if you believe that. Deafness and blindness are a spiritual condition. You see and do not perceive, you hear and do not understand. At one time, in her childhood, the Messiah was also deaf and blind. The crucifixion happened but she was too young to realize it. Then, when she got older, the cat Cornus, Then the conversations with Gabriel and Rabbi Snitzer. Still she didn't know, not until it was time to know. Supertramp is the Rock that begat her in the summer of 1983.

United States of America

#11027 May 21, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Healing leprosy, yes if you believe that. Deafness and blindness are a spiritual condition. You see and do not perceive, you hear and do not understand. At one time, in her childhood, the Messiah was also deaf and blind. The crucifixion happened but she was too young to realize it. Then, when she got older, the cat Cornus, Then the conversations with Gabriel and Rabbi Snitzer. Still she didn't know, not until it was time to know. Supertramp is the Rock that begat her in the summer of 1983.
Oh yeah....right....I get it now....you're doing the thorazine shuffle, right?

Texas, USA

#11028 May 21, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Your Carl Sagan? I like Sagan, but he claimed he was an agnostic leaning towards Spinoza's pantheism, NOT an atheist;
Anyway, I'll raise you two more Nobel Laureates, Robert Wilson and Arno Penzias (Big Bang guys) which gives me three Nobel Laureates against your agnostic. You lose, bubba.
If only reality were susceptible to analysis by consensus, you might be on to something. But it's not. Unfortunately, a lot of scientists have to drag their religious brain-washing into their everyday lives, just like the rest of us ordinary folk. It's kind of what we're trying to change here. Despite expressing some questionable 'professional' opinions, I don't think any godbots-turned-scientist have cranked out any reproducible miracles in the lab or published any of their flights-of-whimsy opinions in recognized journals.

Scottsburg, IN

#11029 May 21, 2013
Jesus... Moses... You believe all three existed? All three?
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Anti Christians and anti jews say the same thing about Jesus and Moses. I personally believe all three existed. You can't have a rational discussion about a fictional character regarding their effect on history.

Scottsburg, IN

#11030 May 21, 2013
They were common myths done by sons of the gods in those days in literature at the time.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>LOL Sounds like you're quoting what the Talmud says about Jesus.

Scottsburg, IN

#11031 May 21, 2013
Obviously you do not understand Spinoza.

http://atheism.about.com/library/quotes/bl_q_...

Doesn't sound much like a believer to me.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>Your Carl Sagan? I like Sagan, but he claimed he was an agnostic leaning towards Spinoza's pantheism, NOT an atheist;

Thinking

Poole, UK

#11032 May 21, 2013
Maybe she is in two minds about this?

http://thebigpart.files.wordpress.com/2007/05...
Givemeliberty wrote:
Jesus... Moses... You believe all three existed? All three?
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) Oct 14 The Worlds Bigges... 256,291
Loner wiccan Oct 1 birdy 2
ecoven on Facebook. secret group free classes a... (Apr '14) Sep 25 de_sheets 3
News Speaking of religion: Pagans stir a fuss in Beebe (Jun '14) Sep '17 dirt reynolds 121
News Harrogate mother says foster families are relig... (Nov '15) Sep '17 ABBB 54
the 7 great clans (Jun '07) Sep '17 blessed 479
Rev. Mirado Crow (Sep '13) Aug '17 Nobody you know 14
More from around the web