Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14715 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#10970 May 20, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries”-- Nobel Laureate Robert Jastrow, God and the Astronomers, p. 107)
What a crock.
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#10971 May 20, 2013
No matter how much you lie and try to revise history, religitards like you f**king boys up the Gary didn't get Apollo 11 to the Moon.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries”-- Nobel Laureate Robert Jastrow, God and the Astronomers, p. 107)

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10972 May 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
No matter how much you lie and try to revise history, religitards like you f**king boys up the Gary didn't get Apollo 11 to the Moon.
<quoted text>
Wrong again, bubba. Robert Jastrow did get Apollo 11 to the moon.

"Now we see how the astronomical evidence supports the biblical view of the origin of the world. The details differ, but the essential elements in the astronomical and biblical accounts of Genesis are the same: the chain of events leading to man commenced suddenly and sharply at a definite moment in time, in a flash of light and energy."

-- Nobel Laureate Robert Jastrow--first chairman of NASA’s Lunar Exploration Committee, which established the scientific goals for the exploration of the moon during the Apollo lunar landings. Chief of the Theoretical Division at NASA, founding director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, Professor of Geophysics at Columbia University, Professor of Earth Sciences at Dartmouth College, Member of the NASA Alumni Association, Founder and Chairman Emeritus of the George C. Marshall Institute, and Director Emeritus of Mount Wilson Observatory and Hale Solar Laboratory.

Like a stake through your poor ol' atheist heart, huh?

Bwaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahaha..........
cartooni

Santa Monica, CA

#10974 May 20, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
"Now we see how the astronomical evidence supports the biblical view of the origin of the world. The details differ, but the essential elements in the astronomical and biblical accounts of Genesis are the same: the chain of events leading to man commenced suddenly and sharply at a definite moment in time, in a flash of light and energy."
-- Nobel Laureate Robert Jastrow--first chairman of NASA’s Lunar Exploration Committee, which established the scientific goals for the exploration of the moon during the Apollo lunar landings. Chief of the Theoretical Division at NASA, founding director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, Professor of Geophysics at Columbia University, Professor of Earth Sciences at Dartmouth College, Member of the NASA Alumni Association, Founder and Chairman Emeritus of the George C. Marshall Institute, and Director Emeritus of Mount Wilson Observatory and Hale Solar Laboratory.
ezDipsh!t says: usually nothing.

“MiamiCorrupt”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#10975 May 20, 2013
DavidQuinn wrote:
I think atheism will replace religion, but i'd say not in the next 200 years so its pretty futile, I wish i had Jean-Paul sartre's attitude to religion, a man so thoroughly atheist he deemed the whole subject beneath his intelligence to consider. Simply religion is divisive and restricts us as a species, simple as that. Check out a book that's causing a bit of a buzz in the Uk called 2082 the chronicles of hope. On the website the 1st chapter for the 1st book is on there for free, there's a speech in there by an atheist politician that's genius
"I think atheism will replace religion, but i'd say not in the next 200 years""

I agree that it won't be for awhile, the vast majority of immigrants coming in from Latin America are rather religious even the one's coming from Cuba who grew up without religion.

Interestingly enough there was a vote here in Miami about "generic" prayer before city meetings which I found absurd and close to everyone I know other than us yankee transplants voted for the prayer.

Many of these people never bother voting at all but yet they did vote for prayer.

I myself am agnostic ,NY 'Catholic' but do not want religion anywhere near gvmt and do not like the hypocrite Bible squad.

“MiamiCorrupt”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#10976 May 20, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
What a crock.
I notice your in Texas, It is rare, is it not to be from Texas but not into religion?

No different than it is rare to find an honest Hispanic politico in USA or Latin America.

Texas, USA

#10977 May 20, 2013
Jose - in Miami wrote:
<quoted text>
I notice your in Texas, It is rare, is it not to be from Texas but not into religion?
No different than it is rare to find an honest Hispanic politico in USA or Latin America.
It is rare. I kinda feel like an Atheist Lone Ranger over here. There's a couple more of us on Topix but we don't know each other in real life. This is for the best so that should we be captured, we can't be tortured into ratting each other out. I don't know of any honest politicians of any race, creed or color.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#10978 May 20, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
It is rare. I kinda feel like an Atheist Lone Ranger over here. There's a couple more of us on Topix but we don't know each other in real life. This is for the best so that should we be captured, we can't be tortured into ratting each other out. I don't know of any honest politicians of any race, creed or color.
I could torture you into giving names you didn't even know.

So could my ex-wife.

Location hidden

#10979 May 20, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>

Are you participating in what the Universe is doing?
I usually do, except when I'm drunk.

At those times, the universe gives me time off. It thinks I'm too much trouble.

There was a bar in Tuscaloosa that wouldn't serve me drinks unless I was handcuffed to the bar.

Even that way, I started 3 fist fights.

Texas, USA

#10980 May 20, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
My Carl Sagan takes your wimpy Robert Jastrow any time. Your quote is typical godbot speak ... trying to whittle the Big Bang down into a magic 'let there be light'. Jastrow must have lost his mind at some point.

Texas, USA

#10981 May 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I could torture you into giving names you didn't even know.
So could my ex-wife.
No doubt. Your ex-wife says "hi".

Location hidden

#10982 May 20, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Go ahead. You won't reach the part I had.

Location hidden

#10983 May 20, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
My Carl Sagan takes your wimpy Robert Jastrow any time. Your quote is typical godbot speak ... trying to whittle the Big Bang down into a magic 'let there be light'. Jastrow must have lost his mind at some point.
Carl Sagan was an idiot. Now he's a dead idiot.

Had some cool sweaters, though.

Texas, USA

#10984 May 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? Had her tonsils out?

Texas, USA

#10985 May 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Takes one to know one!
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

#10986 May 20, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Visit the clinic as soon as possible!
That's why she left him.
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

#10987 May 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
She had that part removed.
People were beginning to talk
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

#10988 May 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No way Jose!
Mr. Rogers rules the sweater, Well maybe Rick Santorum as well

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#10989 May 20, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
No way Jose!
Mr. Rogers rules the sweater, Well maybe Rick Santorum as well
Hallo, Hoe gaat u dit fijne avond?

Hope it's readable... ll
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#10990 May 20, 2013
Jose wrote:
"So please be careful as to what you write, do not treat me as a Saudi Citizen"

I had no idea.

I am referring to the ultra-conservative branch of Sunni Islam.

Saudi law is based on it , perhaps you call it Wahhab?

However do not be coy because you know exactly what I am speaking of.

I have been to Afghanistan but never to Saudi Arabia thus I do not know what it is called there.
Ans.

Saudi Law is based on the teachings of Quran and sayings and actions of the prophet (at least that is what they say!!).

It is a monarchy in its simplest form.

There is no one called Wahhab to do any thing with it.

There was a scholar name Mohammad bin Abdul Wahhab, some 200 years back who started a movement of reform in land of Arabia.

He and his teachings are held high in opinion amongst the religious scholars in Saudi Arabia.

But to call it as a separate Islam and Wahabism is going too far.

I am not being coy, just asking questions to test your knowledge.

Come to Saudi Arabia and see what type of Wahabism is practices here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Episcopal Church, Wiccans, and the Divine F... (Mar '10) 1 hr Really 64
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 1 hr HughBe 230,736
News Pagans Out Of The 'Broom Closet' In Southwest R... (Jan '10) Sun indano 240
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... Aug 29 thetruth 59
Doris w/ Spells4free Aug 25 Redd 1
News Looking for a Pagan community in Kentucky? (Mar '12) Aug 19 Dude 12
News Nigeria: Religion, morality and politics Aug 12 jinxi 1
More from around the web