Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14668 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#10884 May 17, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
So then you endorse the same kind of thinking that would lead to an Intelligent Design conclusion on the other side of the discussion?
That's a touch hypocritical, don't cha think?
No. QM is useful. IDC is not.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#10885 May 17, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Well ... it would be if that were my intent but, since it's not ... no. Pretty sure neither Polymath nor anything in 'real' QM investigations suggest any kind of link between consciousness (thought) and 'collapsing' anything. That was a suggestion by Godbot Ezdzit who, I am certain, reads (longs for) some kind of ID validation into it. Polymath was quick to point out that the three early QM theorists the Zit was quoting are all dead and their early interpretations no longer accepted.
Seems like Ooga has issues with the idea that the universe is not only stranger than we imagine but stranger than we CAN imagine.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#10886 May 17, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not worried about my aesthetic conscious.
I have been downloading videos and songs for years since the advent of Napster.
When all of these filesharing sites shut down we switched to using bit torrents.
Even YouTube has a rather good downloader to download and convert everything that appears on YouTube free. The only advantage to paying the 29.95 is to do the conversion and download and delete all at the same time. Also, it Automatically downloads things that are in sections like part one part two part three etc.
Roxio Creator Pro will convert anything into a DVD or CD.
Using bit torrent's and ISO search you can download the entire albums in fact the entire Discography of some entertainers.
I've done my share of file-sharing, usually assuaging any associated guilt trips by rationalizing that if I have paid for <name it> in the past, I 'own' the right to it's future iterations in updated media. In other words ... I bought it on CD, the ripped MP3 is mine too or I paid to see it in theater, I can download it via Bit Torrent. If I own it in paperback, I can scam it in eBook, etc. But ... some things are outright stealing and I try to avoid that.

Texas, USA

#10887 May 17, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like Ooga has issues with the idea that the universe is not only stranger than we imagine but stranger than we CAN imagine.
Apparently so. Gods (disguised today as Intelligent Designers) were some of the first things that popped into our heads, not 'stranger than we CAN imagine' at all. Quite the opposite.

“Freedom and Liberty”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#10888 May 17, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure they do. Killing is bad, unless God sez so. Shagging your sister is bad, unless God sez so.
In reality all "God's rules" are relayed to us by fundies with serious reality issues, and it just so happens that those rules coincide with everything they hate.
You put that in such a nice way! "Serious reality issues" I like that. Biblical teachings on killing are inconsistent and contradictory. One the one hand God orders killings, and he kills himself. God says there is a time to kill but tells us not to kill, then says those who kill must be killed.

No wonder our resident pew warmers are so confused and hostile.
Imhotep

Ocala, FL

#10889 May 17, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I've done my share of file-sharing, usually assuaging any associated guilt trips by rationalizing that if I have paid for <name it> in the past, I 'own' the right to it's future iterations in updated media. In other words ... I bought it on CD, the ripped MP3 is mine too or I paid to see it in theater, I can download it via Bit Torrent. If I own it in paperback, I can scam it in eBook, etc. But ... some things are outright stealing and I try to avoid that.
I have a different take than you on that conundrum.

I download the latest movies within weeks of them being released. Haven't been to a theater in years.

If you go to the Pirate Bay you will see thousands of things that you can download.

If I want to keep a copy I'll burn it to CD DVD or keep it on removable drive.

I feel as long as I don't sell this for profit and use it for my own personal entertainment I'm just taking advantage of a loophole. Not much different than jailbreaking an iPhone.

Windows software is perfect. Many things are available.

I have MS office Pro 2013 installed - cost? 0!

Do I feel guilty? Not in the least! ;)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#10890 May 17, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this what they mean when it is said that the measurement invalidates or disturbs the outcome? As a tech, I've seen it in real life when the impedance of your scope or meter 'changes' the circuit conditions causing it to shut down (or more rarely, start to work). I always hated that ... it can make troubleshooting a real joy. I mean ... I know what I'm seeing in the macro-world isn't a Quantum effect, but in the QM domain is the coherence broken BY the observation (spooky) or by the INTRUSION of whatever detector is necessary to determine the states (not so spooky)?
Actually, the coherence is broken more by the *extrusion* of the quantum state into the environment. It is closely linked to entropy increase. The *intrusion* of the environment (detector) into the quantum state is a separate thing, which also disrupts things.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#10891 May 17, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you are just trying to be an annoying "showboat" ... congratulations, you've succeeded.
Not at all. The 'shut up and calculate' viewpoint is seriously taken by many (if not most) working physicists.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#10892 May 17, 2013
The Dude wrote:
Except the concept makes potentially scientific predictions of what lays beyond the singularity of the Big bang. Theism does not, as it would be compatible with all scenarios, or lying just even further "outside" whatever we find.
<quoted text>
Bub. Srsly?
(eyeroll)
Pfffft! Yeah, right, and I ask for a demonstration of such a "prediction" and your keyboard gets diarrhea and no demonstration is forthcoming, just like a religiturd.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#10893 May 17, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I hope they are in the public domain cause I just easily downloaded both in PDF on my first search. Now I have a moral quandary. I should probably go buy them somewhere to ease my non-existent atheistic conscious.
They are too recent to be in public domain. I saw the Illuminatus Trilogy at pirate bay. Now the question is whether RAW would really mind.....

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#10894 May 17, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
True, so far as I've seen to date. For this comment you get props and a big fat B.I.N.G.O!!!

Eventually, I do believe we will "get it", but I am skeptical that we already have "gotten it".

Texas, USA

#10896 May 17, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Pfffft! Yeah, right, and I ask for a demonstration of such a "prediction" and your keyboard gets diarrhea and no demonstration is forthcoming, just like a religiturd.
I got introduced to the Multiverse conjecture (theory?) in an excellent Scientific American article several years ago. It's 'fringe' science, I realize that, but don't feel it's supportive of any kind of mysticism, creationism, ID or anything supernatural. It would just be an amazing amplification of an already amazing reality.

Texas, USA

#10897 May 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
They are too recent to be in public domain. I saw the Illuminatus Trilogy at pirate bay. Now the question is whether RAW would really mind.....
I would imagine he would be quite pissed.
CunningLinguist

Lady Lake, FL

#10898 May 17, 2013
The Great Agnostic - Robert Green Ingersoll

He was a Humanist and authored his own creed:“Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.” He delivered a rousing speech in opposition to the Supreme Court’s overturning of the Civil Rights Act of 1875. Introduced in Washington, D.C. by Frederick Douglass, Ingersoll’s speech was so popular that he was drafted to deliver it again a few days later to another full auditorium.

He was a secularist and advocate of free speech.“I deny the right of any man, of any number of men, of any church, or any State, to put a padlock on the lips — to make the tongue a convict.… Blasphemy is the word that the majority hisses into the ear of the few.” This is from the 1887 trial for blasphemy brought by the State of New Jersey against C. B. Reynolds, whom Ingersoll, the lawyer, represented.

Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-1899)

Ministers wonder how I can be wicked enough to attack the Bible.

I will tell them:

This book, the Bible, has persecuted, even unto death, the wisest and the best.

This book stayed and stopped the onward movement of the human race.

This book poisoned the fountains of learning and misdirected the energies of man.

This book is the enemy of freedom, the support of slavery. This book sowed the seeds of hatred in families and nations, fed the flames of war, and impoverished the world. This book is the breastwork of kings and tyrants -- the enslaver of women and children.

This book has corrupted parliaments and courts.

This book has made colleges and universities the teachers of error and the haters of science.

This book has filled Christendom with hateful, cruel, ignorant and warring sects.

This book taught men to kill their fellows for religion's sake.

This book funded the Inquisition, invented the instruments of torture, built the dungeons in which the good and loving languished, forged the chains that rusted in their flesh, erected the scaffolds whereon they died.

This book piled fagots about the feet of the just.

This book drove reason from the minds of millions and filled the asylums with the insane.

This book has caused fathers and mothers to shed the blood of their babes.

This book was the auction block on which the slave-mother stood when she was sold from her child.

This book filled the sails of the slave-trader and made merchandise of human flesh.

This book lighted the fires that burned "witches" and "wizards."

This book filled the darkness with ghouls and ghosts, and the bodies of men and women with devils.

This book polluted the souls of men with the infamous dogma of eternal pain. This book made credulity the greatest of virtues, and investigation the greatest of crimes.

This book filled nations with hermits, monks and nuns -- with the pious and the useless. This book placed the ignorant and unclean saint above the philosopher and philanthropist.

This book taught man to despise the joys of this life, that he might be happy in another -- to waste this world for the sake of the next.
I attack this book because it is the enemy of human liberty -- the greatest obstruction across the highway of human progress.

Let me ask the ministers one question: How can you be wicked enough to defend this book?

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/ro...

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#10899 May 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad. Pay attention. There are several ways to reply, all of which have their merits and faults. To insist on one is just being silly.
I, for example, prefer to have the interspersed version of a reply.
In the future, watch carefully, MUQ does respond to line by line queries and with line by line replies. It is dependant on his being flattered or whether he can evade certain subjects.

Earth,TX

#10900 May 17, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism IS a religion. The US courts have ruled that it's a religion.
No they didn't. They simply gave the lack of any theist bents, the same slot of time out of the cell as any of the claimed worshippers gets.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#10901 May 17, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that Muslims exist in other cultures where the dominant religion is not Islam is not any great news.
Unlike you I was born perfect the first time.
everything works perfect no God was present, no God was necessary.
Contrary to my belief no - contrary to your belief!
Long before the desert religions there was this... and this all that will ever be needed.
"This is the sum of duty. Do not unto others that which would cause you pain if done to you." -- Mahabharata 5:1517, from the Vedic tradition of India, circa 3000 BCE
"What is hateful to you, do not to our fellow man. That is entire Law, all the rest is commentary." -- Talmud, Shabbat 31a, from the Judaic tradition, circa 1300 BCE
"That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for itself." -- Avesta, Dadistan-i-dinik 94:5, from the Zoroastrian tradition, circa 600 BCE
"Hurt not others in ways that you find hurtful." -- Tripitaka, Udanga-varga 5,18 , from the Buddhist tradition, circa 525 BCE
"Surely it is the maxim of loving kindness, do not unto others that which you would not have done unto you." -- Analects, Lun-yu XV,23, from the Confucian tradition, circa 500 BCE
"One should treat all beings as he himself would be treated." -- Agamas, Sutrakrtanga 1.10, 1-3, from the Jain tradition, circa 500 BCE
"Regard your neighbor's gain as your gain and your neighbor's loss as your loss." -- Tai-shang Kang-ying P'ien, from the Taoist tradition, circa 500 BCE
"Do not do to others that which would anger you if others did it to you." -- Socrates (the Greek philosopher), circa 470-399 BCE
Please do not carry two parallel discussions with me on two threads.

Earth,TX

#10902 May 17, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
and bald is a hair colour...
... and it is so easily styled.

Earth,TX

#10903 May 17, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
Contrary to your belief, all Newborn are Born with True Nature which is nothing but Islam.
In one saying our prophet, peace be on him said "Every Newborn is born on true nature (i.e. Islam), it is his parents who make him into a Jew, a Christian and a Magi".
What examples you give prove this and not otherwise.
And not every one follows the religion of their parents. There are thousands who leave the religion of their parents and choose what they think as "best religion".
How come we have so many Atheists whose parents were followers of these religions?
If your theory be true, there would be "very few atheists" in the world.
And do not think that all children of these Atheists would become atheists, many of them would pick and choose their own religion for them.
So your theory is flawed!!
PS:
For your info, I was born in India and I am a Muslim!!
You do not know that there are around 200 Million Muslims in India and that Muslims ruled India for about 1000 years!!
So you are saying, that every newborn human child is really only born so you that dirty fuckwits will have more human sex toys to thigh?

Everything is a hole when you male and are following a pedo prophet.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#10904 May 17, 2013
Please stop spamming and actually answer a question once in a while.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>Please do not carry two parallel discussions with me on two threads.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 1 hr bmz 228,444
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... Fri thetruth 42
omens of dead animals (Aug '08) Jul 24 skylar 108
Shadows and sounds Jul 23 Dizy 1
News Looking for a Pagan community in Kentucky? (Mar '12) Jul 4 Pam 11
News What is Asatru? (Dec '10) Jul 3 ex pagan 2
News Sorry Witches, You Won't Be Able to Buy Spells ... Jun '15 Drake_Burrwood 1
More from around the web