Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News24

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Comments (Page 497)

Showing posts 9,921 - 9,940 of14,385
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

“Why atheism grows faster than religion”

Published on May 18, 2010 by Nigel Barber, Ph.D. in The Human Beast

“Atheists are heavily concentrated in economically developed countries, particularly the social democracies of Europe (Barber, 2012). In underdeveloped countries, there are virtually no atheists. Atheism is thus a peculiarly modern phenomenon. Why do modern conditions produce atheism?

First, as to the distribution of atheism in the world, a clear pattern can be discerned. In sub-Saharan Africa there is almost no atheism (Zuckerman, 2007). Belief in God declines in more developed countries and is concentrated in Europe in countries such as Sweden (64% nonbelievers), Denmark (48%), France (44%) and Germany (42%). In contrast, the incidence of atheism in most sub-Saharan countries is below 1%.

The question of why economically developed countries turn to atheism has been batted around by anthropologists for about eighty years. Anthropologist James Fraser proposed that scientific prediction and control of nature supplants religion as a means of controlling uncertainty in our lives. This hunch is supported by data showing that the more educated countries have higher levels of non belief and there are strong correlations between atheism and intelligence....”

Barber asserts:

“Atheism is thus a peculiarly modern phenomenon.”

This statement certainly affirms Barber’s ignorance regarding atheism’s history.

The Book of Psalms is a collection of poetry authored by various Canaanite Arabs between 1500 and 500 BC

Psalm 14:1 confirms that atheism and atheists existed as ideology in ancient Neolithic times  

“.....The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is none who does good.”

Barber asks:“Why do modern conditions produce atheism?” and says anthropologists have debated this question for 80 years. Barber then cites statistical data supporting his theory that belief in God decreases among human populations as wealth increases. The only issue I have with Barber’s theory is his apparent belief that it’s a new idea when in fact this theory has been a common theme in Neolithic wisdom literature, such as the Book of Proverbs, etc, and dates back to at least 6,000 BC.

Proverbs 30:8-9 says:

“Remove falsehood and lies far from me; Give me neither poverty nor riches— Feed me with the food allotted to me;

Lest I be full and deny You, And say, "Who is the LORD?" Or lest I be poor and steal, And profane the name of my God.”

This article is remarkably unimpressive, especially coming from the brain of some guy who attaches “Phd” to his name....

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
is there something wrong with you?
"I assert that a world with no murder would be wonderful".
"I asert that a world without honour killing of muslim girls would be wonderful"
"I assert that a world without child marriage would be wonderful"
"I assert that a world without religious dogma and where a persons sense of moral responsibility is to ones fellow man rather than an imaginary being would be wonderful"
They all assert negatives but have a with a positive outcome if fulfilled.
There is no ideology associated with Atheism, and belief is not a matter of will, it in an unconscious act, one either believes or one doesn`t, anyone who says "You should try to believe in god" is an idiot and/or liar.
While I appreciate that english is not your first language your performance on this thread is something akin to a plumber lecturing a cardiovascular surgeon on the intricacies of a coronary artery bypass graft.
In short you are the man who came to the battle of wits UNARMED...and you bore me.
No, there's nothing wrong with MUQ.

He was graciously trying to elevate the discussion on this thread above logical fallacies like strawmen, red herrings, ad hominems, etc, by using the Socratic method to stimulate your critical thinking skills. It's obvious by your response that you just don't have any, bubba.....

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
who is an Atheist
That has been answered many, many a time. I can understand that someone that is stanchly religious may have a hard time grasping it, but it is just a person that does not believe in god or gods nothing more.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Don't you guys wish the theists could come up with something new once in a while?

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, he supports:-

1. child marriages.
2. thighing.
3. the murder of young girls.

If you think there nothing wrong with him then you are as sick as he.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Lol

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

He approves of child brides as you know so we can safely assume you approve of the practice as well?
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>No, there's nothing wrong with MUQ.

He was graciously trying to elevate the discussion on this thread above logical fallacies like strawmen, red herrings, ad hominems, etc, by using the Socratic method to stimulate your critical thinking skills. It's obvious by your response that you just don't have any, bubba.....

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Don't you guys wish the theists could come up with something new once in a while?
Yes, it would be refreshing to have honest discussion on a subject without all the emotional baggage that accompanies a religious debate.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you had a chance to read MUQ’s response to the questions posed to him/her?

There have been very few answers from MUQ’s own thoughts and words.
A direct question about anything closely resembling morals is directly ignored.

Yes I know morals are subject to geographical and cultural, but there are some universal values or I would hope so.
gohdude

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

youtube.com/watch...
Probally soon

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I know morals are subject to geographical and cultural, but there are some universal values or I would hope so.
The ethic of reciprocity comes closest ... and so far it works fine on this planet. Though an active imagination could come up with some hypothetical situations where it might not.

The Ameglian Major Cow for example ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, he supports:-
1. child marriages.
2. thighing.
3. the murder of young girls.
If you think there nothing wrong with him then you are as sick as he.
Defamation is any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, intended to harm a person's reputation; to decrease the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or to induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against the targeted person.

You are a pathological liar and what you have posted is unequivocally defamation.

Another equally repulsive poster has just been banned from Topix for this cowardly behavior.

Would you like to be next?

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
I've been reading MUQ's posts in response to the questions posed to him on various threads for about three years now. I've always been impressed with how calm and civil he remains despite the number of filthy insults and accusations from sick, ignorant perverts and bigots on Topix.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Defamation is any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, intended to harm a person's reputation; to decrease the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or to induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against the targeted person.
You are a pathological liar and what you have posted is unequivocally defamation.
Another equally repulsive poster has just been banned from Topix for this cowardly behavior.
Off your meds again, I see!

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been reading MUQ's posts in response to the questions posed to him on various threads for about three years now. I've always been impressed with how calm and civil he remains despite the number of filthy insults and accusations from sick, ignorant perverts and bigots on Topix.
MUQ merely gets back what he/she throws out.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
No it is fact. Any defamation here comes from you to me by saying that I am "pathological liar" show me one post where I have lied.

Mud refuses to comment on:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch...

therefore he gives consent by his silence.

He has also spoken out in favor of child brides and thighing.

BTW. We know you are his sock puppet.

All he and you (his sock) have done is prove that atheists have much higher moral standards.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Really you have just told a lie, you have only been here 2 years.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

I just wish for them to come up with something new and not just a rehash of the tired old stale logical fallacies and attempts to change the subject.

Sigh
<quoted text>Yes, it would be refreshing to have honest discussion on a subject without all the emotional baggage that accompanies a religious debate.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Oh who got banned? Give us a screen name or you made it up.

Chop chop!

PS you don't get to come onto the atheism forum, troll and insult and then throw a fit when you get rightfully treated as a troll.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>Defamation is any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, intended to harm a person's reputation; to decrease the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or to induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against the targeted person.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

He said a girl can be sold into marriage as long as she has had her first menstrual cycle or reached the age of 15. You approve yes or no?
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>I've been reading MUQ's posts in response to the questions posed to him on various threads for about three years now. I've always been impressed with how calm and civil he remains despite the number of filthy insults and accusations from sick, ignorant perverts and bigots on Topix.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 9,921 - 9,940 of14,385
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••