Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,385

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story

“Engaged to the love of my life”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#10053 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>Prove that it doesn't, bubba.
And there you just proved yourself wrong.
As the person who made the claim, you can't even defend your own claim.

Montreal

#10054 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
That's what you think faith is?

Hmmmmm.....?

What is it that allows you to fly in an airplane without fear of crashing?

What is it that allows you ride in an elevator without fear of it falling?

What is it that allows you to drive or ride in a car on a road without fear of crashing into oncoming vehicles?

What is it that allows you to plant a peach tree with the expectation of enjoying its fruit in the future.

What is it that allows you to keep putting your money in a savings account with the expectation it will be there when you need it?

Atheists have "no unified doctrine of unbelief"?

Sure they do, bubba. Atheists are absolutely unified in their belief there is no God and they have absolute faith in that belief despite all evidence to the contrary....

And, Jesus was an Essene, not a "Jew". Google the etymology of the word "Jew". There were no "Jews" in the 1st century AD. The word didn't even exist until it was invented in the 12th century AD and didn't exist in copies of any Bible texts or any other ancient texts until after that date.
You didn't even make a single valid point. The key word was "doctrine."

Montreal

#10055 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, right. You're just all sweetness and light, aren't ya bubba?

"I will not turn my eyes from the truth" said the blind man....

Bantering with posters like yourself who self-indentify as "atheists" is just amusement to me.....nothing more. My own experience as an atheist was a very positive and necessary part of my own spiritual journey--very cathartic. I wish all atheists well and hope your journeys are the same....
I think you're confusing atheism with shopping for a religion.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#10056 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
The simplest dictionary definition of "faith" is complete trust or confidence in someone or something and the mechanics of the mental processes leading to the decision to trust are the same regardless of the "someone or something"
<quoted text>
Really? What "calculations"? Tried and tested by whom or what? People you've never seen or met called an "engineers" that you merely assume exist? The "skills/safety record" of manufacturer who routinely pay out millions of dollars annually for the failure of their products?
<quoted text>
Faith is faith. There's no difference in the mechanics of the mental process leading to the decision to trust regardless of whether the recipient of that cathection is an invisible engineer or God.
Why do theists lie about god being real? What must you inflict your mental illness upon innocent others?

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10057 Apr 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do theists lie about god being real? What must you inflict your mental illness upon innocent others?
LOL Do color blind people think people who see sunsets and rainbows are mentally ill?

Consciousness, Whitehead and quantum computation in the brain: Panprotopsychism meets the physics of fundamental spacetime geometry--Stuart Hameroff

“.....Abner Shimony (1993; 1997) recognized that Whitehead’s approach was potentially compatible with modern physics, specifically quantum theory, with quantum state reductions—actual events—appearing to represent “occasions”. Quantum theory is a description of reality at small scales. To appreciate Shimony’s “modern Whiteheadianism” and bridge the gap between philosophy and physics for a scientific description of consciousness we must first attempt to come to grips with the unsettling features of quantum theory.

Reality: The quantum and classical worlds

At first glance, at least, reality (like consciousness) appears dualistic. In our everyday “classical” world, matter and energy are predictable and well behaved, following Newton’s laws of motion and Maxwell’s equations for electromagnetics. However at small e.g. atomic scales governed by quantum theory everything changes and behaviors are so strange that the American physicist Richard Feynman once commented "anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy."

In the quantum realm (and the boundary between the quantum and classical worlds remains mysterious) objects may exist in two or more states or places simultaneously—more like waves than particles and governed by a “quantum wave function”. This property of multiple coexisting possibilities, known as quantum superposition, persists until the superposition is measured, observed or interacts with the classical world or environment. Only then does the superposition of multiple possibilities “reduce”,“collapse”,“actualize ”,“choose” or “decohere” to specific, particular classical states. Early experiments seemed to show that even if a machine measured a quantum superposition, the multiple possibilities persisted until the machine’s results were observed by a conscious human. This led leading quantum theorists including Bohr, Heisenberg and Wigner to conclude that consciousness caused quantum state reduction, that consciousness “collapsed the wave function”(the “Copenhagen interpretation”, reflecting the Danish origin of Nils Bohr, its leading proponent)....

Another quantum property is entanglement, or quantum coherence, in which components of a system become unified, governed by one common quantum wave function. If one member of an entangled system is measured or perturbed, other members are instantaneously affected, even over great distances. One example of entanglement is the famous “EPR pairs”(after Einstein, Podolsky and Rosen who posed the problem as a thought experiment in the 1930’s). Imagine two members of a quantum system (e.g. two electrons with complementary spin: if one is spin up, the other is spin down, and vice versa). If the paired electrons (both in superposition of both spin up and spin down) are separated by being sent along different wires, say to two different villages miles apart from each other, they each remain in superposition. However when one superpositioned electron is measured by a detector at its destination and reduces/collapses to a particular spin,(say spin up), its entangled twin miles away instantaneously reduces/collapses to the complementary spin down. The experiment has been done repeatedly with electron spin pairs, polarized photons and other quantum systems and always results in instantaneous reduction to the complementary classical state (e.g. Aspect et al, 1982). The instantaneous, faster than light coupling, or “entanglement” remains unexplained....."

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#10058 Apr 30, 2013
No because color blind people have observable evidence for these events not to mention there are varying degrees of color blindness.

My friend Eric is color blind when it comes to telling the difference between orange yellow and red but sees other colors just fine.

Your off topic rambling makes me think you are Dave Nelson's sock puppet I must say. Is that you fart bubbles?
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>LOL Do color blind people think people who see sunsets and rainbows are mentally ill?

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#10059 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
The simplest dictionary definition of "faith" is complete trust or confidence in someone or something and the mechanics of the mental processes leading to the decision to trust are the same regardless of the "someone or something"
<quoted text>
Really? What "calculations"? Tried and tested by whom or what? People you've never seen or met called an "engineers" that you merely assume exist? The "skills/safety record" of manufacturer who routinely pay out millions of dollars annually for the failure of their products?
<quoted text>
Faith is faith. There's no difference in the mechanics of the mental process leading to the decision to trust regardless of whether the recipient of that cathection is an invisible engineer or God.
I have read this this post several times and I still can't believe you are that stupid, but I have faith that you will post more unbelievingly ignorant comments.

Question if there is no such thing as an Engineer, why do we have Universities.
Lincoln

United States

#10060 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL Do color blind people think people who see sunsets and rainbows are mentally ill?
Consciousness, Whitehead and quantum computation in the brain: Panprotopsychism meets the physics of fundamental spacetime geometry--Stuart Hameroff
“.....Abner Shimony (1993; 1997) recognized that Whitehead’s approach was potentially compatible with modern physics, specifically quantum theory, with quantum state reductions—actual events—appearing to represent “occasions”. Quantum theory is a description of reality at small scales. To appreciate Shimony’s “modern Whiteheadianism” and bridge the gap between philosophy and physics for a scientific description of consciousness we must first attempt to come to grips with the unsettling features of quantum theory.
At first glance, at least, reality (like consciousness) appears dualistic. In our everyday “classical” world, matter and energy are predictable and well behaved, following Newton’s laws of motion and Maxwell’s equations for electromagnetics. However at small e.g. atomic scales governed by quantum theory everything changes and behaviors are so strange that the American physicist Richard Feynman once commented "anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy."
In the quantum realm (and the boundary between the quantum and classical worlds remains mysterious) objects may exist in two or more states or places simultaneously—more like waves than particles and governed by a “quantum wave function”. This property of multiple coexisting possibilities, known as quantum superposition, persists until the superposition is measured, observed or interacts with the classical world or environment. Only then does the superposition of multiple possibilities “reduce”,“collapse”,“actualize ”,“choose” or “decohere” to specific, particular classical states. Early experiments seemed to show that even if a machine measured a quantum superposition, the multiple possibilities persisted until the machine’s results were observed by a conscious human. This led leading quantum theorists including Bohr, Heisenberg and Wigner to conclude that consciousness caused quantum state reduction, that consciousness “collapsed the wave function”(the “Copenhagen interpretation”, reflecting the Danish origin of Nils Bohr, its leading proponent)....
Another quantum property is entanglement, or quantum coherence, in which components of a system become unified, governed by one common quantum wave function. If one member of an entangled system is measured or perturbed, other members are instantaneously affected, even over great distances. One example of entanglement is the famous “EPR pairs”(after Einstein, Podolsky and Rosen who posed the problem as a thought experiment in the 1930’s). Imagine two members of a quantum system (e.g. two electrons with complementary spin: if one is spin up, the other is spin down, and vice versa). If the paired electrons (both in superposition of both spin up and spin down) are separated by being sent along different wires, say to two different villages miles apart from each other, they each remain in superposition. However when one superpositioned electron is measured by a detector at its destination and reduces/collapses to a particular spin,(say spin up), its entangled twin miles away instantaneously reduces/collapses to the complementary spin down. The experiment has been done repeatedly with electron spin pairs, polarized photons and other quantum systems and always results in instantaneous reduction to the complementary classical state (e.g. Aspect et al, 1982). The instantaneous, faster than light coupling, or “entanglement” remains unexplained....."
Septic has problems accepting a world in which He is not in charge.
Totalitarian atheist syndrome
Lincoln

United States

#10061 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
He seems to have issues living in a world that He does not control.LOL

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10062 Apr 30, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Septic has problems accepting a world in which He is not in charge.
Totalitarian atheist syndrome
ROFL Very astute observation!

Montreal

#10063 Apr 30, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
He seems to have issues living in a world that He does not control.LOL
The point is that the world isn't controlled by anyone.
Things happen.

You're just afraid that things happen without a reason.
You're afraid to admit that you actually don't know how the universe came to be.

That is why you need to believe in a being without a creator itself that created everything.
So you can fill the holes with imaginary putty.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10064 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
That depends-- have they examined instruments which prove beyond a doubt, that there are visible frequencies they cannot see?

Those instruments prove the colors they cannot see--exist.

Just as similar instruments prove that x-rays, microwaves and gamma rays exist-- even though YOU cannot see any of those.

In fact? You cannot detect these at all--without help.

But your idiotic ideas of god?

Cannot be detected by... anything.

There's a word for things that are 100% undetectable:

Nonexistent.

Your go, for example...

Lexington, KY

#10065 Apr 30, 2013
Lincoln is also KJV, langoliers and eagle12 those are his other screen names.
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>The point is that the world isn't controlled by anyone.
Things happen.

You're just afraid that things happen without a reason.
You're afraid to admit that you actually don't know how the universe came to be.

That is why you need to believe in a being without a creator itself that created everything.
So you can fill the holes with imaginary putty.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#10066 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, right. You're just all sweetness and light, aren't ya bubba?
"I will not turn my eyes from the truth" said the blind man....
Bantering with posters like yourself who self-indentify as "atheists" is just amusement to me.....nothing more. My own experience as an atheist was a very positive and necessary part of my own spiritual journey--very cathartic. I wish all atheists well and hope your journeys are the same....
As an atheist, I am simply free of theism. As a now non-believer, understand that it was as a believer that, I have your god. I have weighed the lack of evidence, I have found that for any bible god to exist, the believer must first be deluded into believing it to be so. Then, only in the believers mind, does it exist. This is true with all gods, they exist only in the minds of the truly delusional.
Funny thing is that none of you believe it either. The bible you all treat as a joke .... the god couldn't mean you, now could he? Tell me how many of your neighbors have yopu stoned to death, as your god commands?
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#10067 Apr 30, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeez MUQ, give us a break. How about ...'an Atheist is a person who is POSITIVE there is no deity'.
I think you were Top of your class in caricature!!
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#10068 Apr 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Atheism is what it is Muq. I'm sorry of the reality of it upsets you but an Atheist is just a person who does not believe in any god. We reject the theist claim as they are unable to show observable proof for the theist claim.
For civilized people who bathe properly and do not sell their children, it's really not that difficult to understand.
But you being a janitor at an airport I suppose it is difficult for you.
<quoted text>
Again you are in denial mode....that is not what is Atheism!!

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#10069 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
“.....Abner Shimony (1993; 1997) recognized that Whitehead’s approach was potentially compatible with modern physics ... yada, yada, yada
I think it's funny how you embrace the theories behind the subtle and esoteric quantum "realm" but reject the far more common-sensical Theory of Evolution. Has your god been reduced to sub-atomic parlor tricks? You know, both sets of theory exist as frameworks to build an understanding of Nature as we observe her at various resolutions. Mysteries remain but nothing observed in the macro or micro realms suggest we have reached the limits of our ability to discover or understand Nature. We have no need to resort to 'magical'(supernatural) explanations. Thinking our minds and 'spacetime geometry' are somehow intertwined is simply another example of the supreme egotism of godbots, anxious to hold some special place in a Universe that simply does not notice (or care) whether we exist or not.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#10070 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
It's logical to assume Jesus was ethnically a Yehudim, i.e. a descendant of Judah, but he resided in the the Galilee not Judea, therefore he was a Galilean not a Judean. The word "Jew" was used describe a person of a particular religion and is derived from the word "Judea", the geographic place where that particular religion was thought to have originated The word "Yehudim" denotes ethnicity, i.e. the blood line descendants of Abraham through the tribe of Judah. The words "Jew" and "Yehudim" are no more interchangeable than the words "Baptist" and "Mexican", bubba.
Surely the matter of arguing the ethnicity of Jesus is a futile pursuit given the paucity of information provided. You would do well to focus your efforts on developing a convincing argument that Jesus actually existed. That question is far more fundamental to Christianity and far from resolved.

Lexington, KY

#10071 Apr 30, 2013
Oh really? Are you an atheist? If not you have no cause to tell us what it is. Sorry that we are not the silly definition as forced down your throat by child raping imams.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>Again you are in denial mode....that is not what is Atheism!!

Lexington, KY

#10072 Apr 30, 2013
I have a feeling he doesn't comprehend 1/8th of what he copied and pasted but thinks if he uses science sounding words to argue for his god that will give it more credence.

Seriously I bet it's one of Dave's sock puppets.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>I think it's funny how you embrace the theories behind the subtle and esoteric quantum "realm" but reject the far more common-sensical Theory of Evolution. Has your god been reduced to sub-atomic parlor tricks? You know, both sets of theory exist as frameworks to build an understanding of Nature as we observe her at various resolutions. Mysteries remain but nothing observed in the macro or micro realms suggest we have reached the limits of our ability to discover or understand Nature. We have no need to resort to 'magical'(supernatural) explanations. Thinking our minds and 'spacetime geometry' are somehow intertwined is simply another example of the supreme egotism of godbots, anxious to hold some special place in a Universe that simply does not notice (or care) whether we exist or not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 21 min Shamma 202,651
I...(gulp) am a Pagan Agnostic Taoist Sep 28 Ol Fuddy Duddy 2
Respecting belief: why should you? And why shou... Sep 21 thetruth 21
Pagan caught performing naked ritual with teena... (Nov '12) Sep 8 Kathwynn 14
Bloomfield woman behind Ten Commandments monume... Sep 7 Kathwynn 2
Who exactly was Gjoub, and should I trust him? (Mar '09) Sep 1 Kathwynn 503
SHADOW PEOPLE... i need help (May '07) Aug '14 Only1Likeme212 347

Pagan/Wiccan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE