Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14715 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#10038 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove that it doesn't, bubba.
Nothing to prove. There is no connection.
The Troll Stopper

Blacksburg, VA

#10039 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove that it doesn't, bubba.
Oh, so we're supposed to prove a negative? Tell you what, why don't YOU prove that you're not a wife-beating meth addict with a mile-long arrest record.
There, see how that works?

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#10040 Apr 30, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>I am none of those, I also have no fears of the non-existent, and I will not turn my eyes from the truth. So it pisses you off, big deal ... that's your problem, not mine.
Yeah, right. You're just all sweetness and light, aren't ya bubba?

"I will not turn my eyes from the truth" said the blind man....

Bantering with posters like yourself who self-indentify as "atheists" is just amusement to me.....nothing more. My own experience as an atheist was a very positive and necessary part of my own spiritual journey--very cathartic. I wish all atheists well and hope your journeys are the same....

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#10041 Apr 30, 2013
Still waiting for this historical proof Jesus even existed let alone he was an Essene.

I guess you are writing biblical fan fiction again yes?
ezdzit wrote:
That's what you think faith is?

Hmmmmm.....?

What is it that allows you to fly in an airplane without fear of crashing?

What is it that allows you ride in an elevator without fear of it falling?

What is it that allows you to drive or ride in a car on a road without fear of crashing into oncoming vehicles?

What is it that allows you to plant a peach tree with the expectation of enjoying its fruit in the future.

What is it that allows you to keep putting your money in a savings account with the expectation it will be there when you need it?

Atheists have "no unified doctrine of unbelief"?

Sure they do, bubba. Atheists are absolutely unified in their belief there is no God and they have absolute faith in that belief despite all evidence to the contrary....

And, Jesus was an Essene, not a "Jew". Google the etymology of the word "Jew". There were no "Jews" in the 1st century AD. The word didn't even exist until it was invented in the 12th century AD and didn't exist in copies of any Bible texts or any other ancient texts until after that date.
The Troll Stopper

Blacksburg, VA

#10042 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, right. You're just all sweetness and light, aren't ya bubba?
Right back atcha, bigot boy.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#10043 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmmm.....?
What is it that allows you to drive or ride in a car on a road without fear of crashing into oncoming vehicles?
What is it that allows you to plant a peach tree with the expectation of enjoying its fruit in the future.
What is it that allows you to keep putting your money in a savings account with the expectation it will be there when you need it?
Sure they do, bubba. Atheists are absolutely unified in their belief there is no God and they have absolute faith in that belief despite all evidence to the contrary....
And, Jesus was an Essene, not a "Jew". Google the etymology of the word "Jew". There were no "Jews" in the 1st century AD. The word didn't even exist until it was invented in the 12th century AD and didn't exist in copies of any Bible texts or any other ancient texts until after that date.
Sorry to burst your bubba but you're getting your faiths mixed up.

There's faith based on the tried and tested calculations of the engineers and the skills/safety record of the manufacturer.

In other words, faith based on real and tangible evidence.

Then there's religious faith. That's what's used by people to support their belief in whatever unfounded irrationality they've dreamed up.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#10044 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmmm.....?
Wow man, say no more - you are certifiable a little scary too ...

Since: May 11

UK

#10045 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmmm.....?
I fly because of the proven reliability of air travel.

I can drive myself because I am confident in my abilities as a driver.

The tensile strength of steel cable is reassuring enough that I will ride in an `elevator`.

A peach tree grows...the same as deadly nightshade, foxglove and monkshood. All lethal poisons.

I put my money among many diverse funds which spread the risk to the funds investment by scattering the money among different sectors of industry...it`s like spread betting.

It`s like talking to a child....

So as many religions have different denominations based upon doctrine...what form does my unbelief take? Or am I a non-denominational atheist?

What do I venerate? Where are the atheist rituals? What is the supernatural deity or being which we worship religiously?

You`d prefer jesus to be a Yehudim rather than a Jew even though the two words are interchangeable? We get it, you don`t like jews but jesus` JEWISHNESS is one of christianity`s uncomfortable problems.

There is no god/gods and there is no evidence to the contrary. You could carry on praying but... "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" ~Albert Einstein.
Imhotep

Gainesville, FL

#10046 Apr 30, 2013
<quoted text>I read the bible. All of it, and I started seeing the contradictions and lies, and I asked the question why, and I was put through some real abuse for daring to question(including about 48 hour or so demon removal farce). I was told that the answers were in the bible, and again I read it, and found even more problems with the so called word of god.
It took around twenty years of study and prayer to finally realize that there was nothing but bluster coming from my church community and even less than that from the bible. I was a non-believer long before I even realized it. I didn't know there was even one other person on this earth, who didn't believe ... but I knew without doubt I didn't, I couldn't. My first contact with another non-believer was here on topix.
Thanks for sharing;)

I can honestly say I've met more atheist on topics also.

I have three friends that are lifelong humanists.

It's a shame there are so many terms that are Associated with simply non-belief.

Blasphemy is after all a completely victimless crime

Religion is dying worldwide, A few more generations the Internet the information age it's doomed...
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#10047 Apr 30, 2013
<quoted text>.... I was a non-believer long before I even realized it.
That is not an uncommon experience.
<quoted text>
I didn't know there was even one other person on this earth, who didn't believe ... but I knew without doubt I didn't, I couldn't. My first contact with another non-believer was here on topix.
That's remarkable.

Everyone around you appeared to be religious? I imagine the religiosity of your community might be quite eye-opening for a visiting Canadians, Australians & NZs or Brits?

United States of America

#10048 Apr 30, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to burst your bubba but you're getting your faiths mixed up.
The simplest dictionary definition of "faith" is complete trust or confidence in someone or something and the mechanics of the mental processes leading to the decision to trust are the same regardless of the "someone or something"
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>.....There's faith based on the tried and tested calculations of the engineers and the skills/safety record of the manufacturer.
In other words, faith based on real and tangible evidence......
Really? What "calculations"? Tried and tested by whom or what? People you've never seen or met called an "engineers" that you merely assume exist? The "skills/safety record" of manufacturer who routinely pay out millions of dollars annually for the failure of their products?
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text> Then there's religious faith. That's what's used by people to support their belief in whatever unfounded irrationality they've dreamed up.
Faith is faith. There's no difference in the mechanics of the mental process leading to the decision to trust regardless of whether the recipient of that cathection is an invisible engineer or God.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#10049 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
The simplest dictionary definition of "faith" is complete trust or confidence in someone or something and the mechanics of the mental processes leading to the decision to trust are the same regardless of the "someone or something"
<quoted text>
Really? What "calculations"? Tried and tested by whom or what? People you've never seen or met called an "engineers" that you merely assume exist? The "skills/safety record" of manufacturer who routinely pay out millions of dollars annually for the failure of their products?
<quoted text>
Faith is faith. There's no difference in the mechanics of the mental process leading to the decision to trust regardless of whether the recipient of that cathection is an invisible engineer or God.
Wow! You must be living under a rock to never have heard of the NTSB. Which, BTW, exists because the idea of "faith" absolutely FAILS when it comes to public traffic safety. http://www.ntsb.gov/

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#10050 Apr 30, 2013
I really wish you would get your GED.
ezdzit wrote:

Khatru wrote, "<quoted text>.....There's faith based on the tried and tested calculations of the engineers and the skills/safety record of the manufacturer.
In other words, faith based on real and tangible evidence......"

Khatru wrote, "<quoted text> Then there's religious faith. That's what's used by people to support their belief in whatever unfounded irrationality they've dreamed up."

EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#10051 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
...Faith is faith. There's no difference in the mechanics of the mental process leading to the decision to trust regardless of whether the recipient of that cathection is an invisible engineer or God.
And anyone unable to see the madness in that statement, they should be given a wide berth.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cathected

Faith (like belief), should be limited to the degree the belief (or faith) can be justified by reason and evidence. cathection doesn't enter into it.

United States of America

#10052 Apr 30, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>

You`d prefer jesus to be a Yehudim rather than a Jew even though the two words are interchangeable? We get it, you don`t like jews but jesus` JEWISHNESS is one of christianity`s uncomfortable problems.
It's logical to assume Jesus was ethnically a Yehudim, i.e. a descendant of Judah, but he resided in the the Galilee not Judea, therefore he was a Galilean not a Judean. The word "Jew" was used describe a person of a particular religion and is derived from the word "Judea", the geographic place where that particular religion was thought to have originated The word "Yehudim" denotes ethnicity, i.e. the blood line descendants of Abraham through the tribe of Judah. The words "Jew" and "Yehudim" are no more interchangeable than the words "Baptist" and "Mexican", bubba.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#10053 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>Prove that it doesn't, bubba.
And there you just proved yourself wrong.
As the person who made the claim, you can't even defend your own claim.

Montreal

#10054 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:

Hmmmmm.....?

You didn't even make a single valid point. The key word was "doctrine."

Montreal

#10055 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, right. You're just all sweetness and light, aren't ya bubba?

"I will not turn my eyes from the truth" said the blind man....

Bantering with posters like yourself who self-indentify as "atheists" is just amusement to me.....nothing more. My own experience as an atheist was a very positive and necessary part of my own spiritual journey--very cathartic. I wish all atheists well and hope your journeys are the same....
I think you're confusing atheism with shopping for a religion.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#10056 Apr 30, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Why do theists lie about god being real? What must you inflict your mental illness upon innocent others?

United States of America

#10057 Apr 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do theists lie about god being real? What must you inflict your mental illness upon innocent others?
LOL Do color blind people think people who see sunsets and rainbows are mentally ill?

Consciousness, Whitehead and quantum computation in the brain: Panprotopsychism meets the physics of fundamental spacetime geometry--Stuart Hameroff

“.....Abner Shimony (1993; 1997) recognized that Whitehead’s approach was potentially compatible with modern physics, specifically quantum theory, with quantum state reductions—actual events—appearing to represent “occasions”. Quantum theory is a description of reality at small scales. To appreciate Shimony’s “modern Whiteheadianism” and bridge the gap between philosophy and physics for a scientific description of consciousness we must first attempt to come to grips with the unsettling features of quantum theory.

Reality: The quantum and classical worlds

At first glance, at least, reality (like consciousness) appears dualistic. In our everyday “classical” world, matter and energy are predictable and well behaved, following Newton’s laws of motion and Maxwell’s equations for electromagnetics. However at small e.g. atomic scales governed by quantum theory everything changes and behaviors are so strange that the American physicist Richard Feynman once commented "anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy."

In the quantum realm (and the boundary between the quantum and classical worlds remains mysterious) objects may exist in two or more states or places simultaneously—more like waves than particles and governed by a “quantum wave function”. This property of multiple coexisting possibilities, known as quantum superposition, persists until the superposition is measured, observed or interacts with the classical world or environment. Only then does the superposition of multiple possibilities “reduce”,“collapse”,“actualize ”,“choose” or “decohere” to specific, particular classical states. Early experiments seemed to show that even if a machine measured a quantum superposition, the multiple possibilities persisted until the machine’s results were observed by a conscious human. This led leading quantum theorists including Bohr, Heisenberg and Wigner to conclude that consciousness caused quantum state reduction, that consciousness “collapsed the wave function”(the “Copenhagen interpretation”, reflecting the Danish origin of Nils Bohr, its leading proponent)....

Another quantum property is entanglement, or quantum coherence, in which components of a system become unified, governed by one common quantum wave function. If one member of an entangled system is measured or perturbed, other members are instantaneously affected, even over great distances. One example of entanglement is the famous “EPR pairs”(after Einstein, Podolsky and Rosen who posed the problem as a thought experiment in the 1930’s). Imagine two members of a quantum system (e.g. two electrons with complementary spin: if one is spin up, the other is spin down, and vice versa). If the paired electrons (both in superposition of both spin up and spin down) are separated by being sent along different wires, say to two different villages miles apart from each other, they each remain in superposition. However when one superpositioned electron is measured by a detector at its destination and reduces/collapses to a particular spin,(say spin up), its entangled twin miles away instantaneously reduces/collapses to the complementary spin down. The experiment has been done repeatedly with electron spin pairs, polarized photons and other quantum systems and always results in instantaneous reduction to the complementary classical state (e.g. Aspect et al, 1982). The instantaneous, faster than light coupling, or “entanglement” remains unexplained....."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 7 min NotQuiter 230,667
News Pagans Out Of The 'Broom Closet' In Southwest R... (Jan '10) Sun indano 240
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... Sat thetruth 59
Doris w/ Spells4free Aug 25 Redd 1
News Looking for a Pagan community in Kentucky? (Mar '12) Aug 19 Dude 12
News Nigeria: Religion, morality and politics Aug 12 jinxi 1
omens of dead animals (Aug '08) Jul '15 skylar 108
More from around the web