Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News24

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.
Comments
9,441 - 9,460 of 14,385 Comments Last updated Nov 23, 2013

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
And trees!
Oh the trees!
There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the Maples want more sunlight
and the Oaks ignore their pleas

N. Peart

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Do 20 goat farmers half of which are married to 5-8 year olds count as peer reviewed?
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have any peer reviewed evidence for your claim?
CunningLinguist

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
None of those passages allude, imply, indicate, infer, insinuate, intimate, suggest or even remotely support the claim that "The bible (genesis) empowered believers to f**k the planet over."
What part of none don't you understand?
This is what you fail to understand and it is only 1 of 10!

The Ten Commandments – A simple logic problem

1. I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

The first commandment has God, who describes himself as a "jealous God," proclaim by fiat that only he is to be worshipped. All other Gods are to be shunned, and the proper penalty for worshipping Gods other than the biblical God, as the Bible itself repeatedly makes clear, is summary execution, without trial or investigation.

"If your brother, your own mother's son, or your son or daughter, or your wife, or your closest friend, entices you in secret, saying,'Come let us worship other gods'- whom neither you nor your fathers has experienced... do not assent... but take his life. Let your hand be first against him to put him to death, and the hand of the rest of the people thereafter.

Stone him to death, for he sought to make you stray from the lord your god... Thus all of Israel will hear and be afraid, and such evil things will not be done again in your midst" (Deuteronomy 13:7-12).

As we shall see repeatedly, the biblical commandment not to kill cannot be taken as an absolute moral command, and was not even intended to be such by the author of Genesus. The Biblical God in fact commands the death penalty for a whole slew of offenses, such being homosexual (Lev. 20:13), being a witch (Ex. 22:18), saying bad things about Yahweh (Lev. 24:16), worshipping gods other than Yahweh (Deut. 17:2-5 RSV), not being a virgin on your wedding day (Deut. 22:20-21), striking one's parents or being a stubborn and rebellious son (Ex. 21:17 , Lev. 20:9), bestiality (Ex. 22:19, Lev. 20:15-16), working or performing prohibited activities on the seventh day of the week (Ex. 31:14-15; Num 15:36). Luckily for Hagar and Ishmael, Yahweh intervenes at the last minute. Moses was a murderer, and incited others to murder as well. After some members of the camp took to worshipping a God other than Yahweh, in this case a golden calf, Moses, speaking with Yahweh's authority, commanded his own people to kill each other in a wild, indiscriminate bloodbath.

"Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is on the LORD's side? let him come unto me. And the children of Levi did according to the word of Moses: and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men" (32:26-28).

This is the same God who, according to Christian evangelists and apologists, is a morally perfect entity, providing the sole ground and justification for all human moral values.

. Thus the fundamentalist logic forces one to admit that accepted moral evils such as infanticide, gerontocide, genocide and slavery are actually morally perfect actions when their God performs them.

Go figure. I must have missed somethin in the
'translation' huh?

The biblical Yahweh, who commanded genocide against whole nations (DEU 7:1-5), who incited his own "special people" to kill one another in a senseless riot (EX 32:37-8), who SPECIFICALLY demanded the murder of infants (1SAM 15:3; EZ 9:6), who caused men to engage in cannibalism (EZEK 5:10; ISA 49:26), who commanded incest, and who killed someone for refusing to comply (GEN 38:8-10; DEU 25:5-6), who engaged in deception (1KINGS 22:23; 2 THESS 2:11), and who demanded bloody animal sacrifices by the dozen (LEV 1:12; EXO 29:15-18; EXO 29:36, etc., ad infinitum), is portrayed in a light which would make Saddam Hussein look like a saint by comparison.

And... the 'EVIDENCE' BELIEVERS SO OFTEN DEMAND... THERE IT IS!
Get out your verion of the Bibile... it could not possible lie could it?
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Only if they're illiterate!
Givemeliberty wrote:
Do 20 goat farmers half of which are married to 5-8 year olds count as peer reviewed?
<quoted text>

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
All of it. Regrettably, history shows that many 'Good Christians', particularly ones who find themselves in positions of power, have chosen to make such inferences. Are the Capitalists and Industrialists instruments of the Devil? This is ostensibly a 'Christian Nation' founded upon 'Christian Principles' and we have done much harm. Perhaps you don't believe the planet has been f**k'd over enough. Maybe your god was derelict in his duties by issuing his newest creations such ambiguous instructions. It is clearly subject to interpretation as is so much of 'The Good Book'. It has served villain and Saint equally well.
“The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose...” William Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice.

Your rants about Christianity's abuses are totally irrelevant to the fact that none of the Bible passages you cited allude, imply, indicate, infer, insinuate, intimate, suggest or even remotely support the claim that "The bible (genesis) empowered believers to f**k the planet over."

“Engaged to the love of my life”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>
There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the Maples want more sunlight
and the Oaks ignore their pleas
N. Peart
Some Rush, excellent Canadian band.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Some Rush, excellent Canadian band.
I thought it fit in nicely with your 'trees' comment.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, now you're saying you don't have a religion?
So you don't believe in a god, any commandments, sin, bible stories, and so on?
If you do, you DO have a religion.
Religion, as defined by dictionaries, is the belief in a supernatural, all controlling, all knowing power.
It is also to follow the rules of a doctrine, in which the bible provides.
So yes, you do have a religion.
Let's add that to the list of stupid things you've said.
Using your definition of religion, the answer is no, I have no religion.

Unlike yourself, I have no anthropomorphic mental construct of God nor do I view this being or its actions as anything "supernatural".

What you refer to as "the Bible" is a collection of oral traditions transcribed from ancient Akkadian, Sumerian, Assyrian, Egyptian, Hurrite, Canaanite, etc sources probably starting around the 9th century when the Palestinians invented the first alphabet, i.e. Aramaic. Later contributions to this collection came from Essene, Ebionite, Nazarene and Theravada Buddhist sources. None of the texts known as "the Bible" were written by "Jews" or "Christians" as both religions were politically "astroturfed" and adopted these texts as their "canon" centuries later. The Bible is an invaluable resource for studying the evolving cosmology of Neolithic humans in the Levant where civilization, agriculture, and all other technologies were invented. Why do you have such an irrational and vitriolic contempt for this book?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
“The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose...” William Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice.
Your rants about Christianity's abuses are totally irrelevant to the fact that none of the Bible passages you cited allude, imply, indicate, infer, insinuate, intimate, suggest or even remotely support the claim that "The bible (genesis) empowered believers to f**k the planet over."
Odd that the Bible would even have scriptures the Devil would find useful. Likewise, it has scriptures (such as the ones presented) that some people feel justified their unbridled exploitation of the Earth's natural resources (f**k'n the planet over in the process). Surely you are not so deep in denial that you can not admit that Humans, in their quest for resources and riches, have f**k'd the planet over and that a goodly number of them were 'Good Christians'. As such, where then do you suppose they drew their justification (empowerment)?

There's another adage ... "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" ... it's author must have known you.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Odd that the Bible would even have scriptures the Devil would find useful. Likewise, it has scriptures (such as the ones presented) that some people feel justified their unbridled exploitation of the Earth's natural resources (f**k'n the planet over in the process). Surely you are not so deep in denial that you can not admit that Humans, in their quest for resources and riches, have f**k'd the planet over and that a goodly number of them were 'Good Christians'. As such, where then do you suppose they drew their justification (empowerment)?
There's another adage ... "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" ... it's author must have known you.
Blah blah blah....and still totally irrelevant to the fact that none of the Bible passages you cited allude, imply, indicate, infer, insinuate, intimate, suggest or even remotely support the claim that "The bible (genesis) empowered believers to f**k the planet over."

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike yourself, I have no anthropomorphic mental construct of God nor do I view this being or its actions as anything "supernatural".
What you refer to as "the Bible" is a collection of oral traditions transcribed from ancient Akkadian, Sumerian, Assyrian, Egyptian, Hurrite, Canaanite, etc sources probably starting around the 9th century when the Palestinians invented the first alphabet, i.e. Aramaic. Later contributions to this collection came from Essene, Ebionite, Nazarene and Theravada Buddhist sources. None of the texts known as "the Bible" were written by "Jews" or "Christians" as both religions were politically "astroturfed" and adopted these texts as their "canon" centuries later. The Bible is an invaluable resource for studying the evolving cosmology of Neolithic humans in the Levant where civilization, agriculture, and all other technologies were invented. Why do you have such an irrational and vitriolic contempt for this book?
I can't answer for him, but I have a vitriolic contempt for that book because it is not what it says it is. However, there is a contemporary work that I love for the same reason, it is what it says it is. It is called, Aesop's fables!! And it is a fine source of information for what was considered moral in the first century. But that wasn't its primary mission.

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>I thought it fit in nicely with your 'trees' comment.
It did, it did very well.

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

ezdzit wrote:

Do you believe in a god?
Yes?
Do you believe the bible's stories and/or follow its rules?
Yes?

Then congrats, you have a religion and lied about it like many others on this site.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

I bet they thinking they deny behaving a specific church and are just wandering generalities this makes them better somehow?

Fact is they are just ashamed to say what religion they belong to or closely align with because they don't want to debate their actual beliefs. It's rather cowardly.

But then lol they will go back and argue about their church's religiously defined ideas and interpretations as the correct way to see the bible.

Ug you just gotta laugh :))
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>Do you believe in a god?
Yes?
Yes?

Then congrats, you have a religion and lied about it like many others on this site.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe in a god?
Yes?
Yes?
I believe in the Laws of Causality and that all causes and effects can be tracked backward to a First Cause. I choose to refer to that First Cause as "God".

You equate believing in a cause and effect universe as "religion"?

Bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaha....

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

You can't chose your own facts reject that's not how it works. You can't just see something and say rub a dub dub dub... God!

Lol!

You can't assign attributes, actions and properties to this god until you have demonstrated there is a god there in the first place.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>I believe in the Laws of Causality and that all causes and effects can be tracked backward to a First Cause. I choose to refer to that First Cause as "God".

You equate believing in a cause and effect universe as "religion"?

Bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaha....

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't answer for him, but I have a vitriolic contempt for that book because it is not what it says it is. However, there is a contemporary work that I love for the same reason, it is what it says it is. It is called, Aesop's fables!! And it is a fine source of information for what was considered moral in the first century. But that wasn't its primary mission.
The Bible is what it is. What it isn't is what most religions say it is. Big difference.

I love Aesop's fables, also Iliad and Odyssey, Epic if Gilgamesh, Grimm's Fairy Tales, etc

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

So you enjoy fiction which includes the bible.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible is what it is. What it isn't is what most religions say it is. Big difference.

I love Aesop's fables, also Iliad and Odyssey, Epic if Gilgamesh, Grimm's Fairy Tales, etc

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is what it is. What it isn't is what most religions say it is. Big difference.
Only Aesop's and Grimm's are what they say they are.

The Bible is not what it says it is. At best it is recorded oral traditions of the first century.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Only Aesop's and Grimm's are what they say they are.
The Bible is not what it says it is. At best it is recorded oral traditions of the first century.
What do you think the Bible says it is?

NT texts date to 1st century AD but there is consensus among scholars that original sources for various OT books are much much older. The Book of Proverbs was sourced to an Egyptian book called the "Instructions of Amenemhat", written circa 7th century BC as well as another book called the "Words of Ahikar", an Aramaic papyrus dated at 500 BC Parts of Genesis were sourced to fragments of a Babylonian book called the Sha naqba &#299;muru aka "He who Saw the Deep" which has been dated to the 13th century BC.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••