Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14736 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#9778 Apr 24, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, now you're saying you don't have a religion?
So you don't believe in a god, any commandments, sin, bible stories, and so on?
If you do, you DO have a religion.
Religion, as defined by dictionaries, is the belief in a supernatural, all controlling, all knowing power.
It is also to follow the rules of a doctrine, in which the bible provides.
So yes, you do have a religion.
Let's add that to the list of stupid things you've said.
Using your definition of religion, the answer is no, I have no religion.

Unlike yourself, I have no anthropomorphic mental construct of God nor do I view this being or its actions as anything "supernatural".

What you refer to as "the Bible" is a collection of oral traditions transcribed from ancient Akkadian, Sumerian, Assyrian, Egyptian, Hurrite, Canaanite, etc sources probably starting around the 9th century when the Palestinians invented the first alphabet, i.e. Aramaic. Later contributions to this collection came from Essene, Ebionite, Nazarene and Theravada Buddhist sources. None of the texts known as "the Bible" were written by "Jews" or "Christians" as both religions were politically "astroturfed" and adopted these texts as their "canon" centuries later. The Bible is an invaluable resource for studying the evolving cosmology of Neolithic humans in the Levant where civilization, agriculture, and all other technologies were invented. Why do you have such an irrational and vitriolic contempt for this book?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#9779 Apr 24, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
“The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose...” William Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice.
Your rants about Christianity's abuses are totally irrelevant to the fact that none of the Bible passages you cited allude, imply, indicate, infer, insinuate, intimate, suggest or even remotely support the claim that "The bible (genesis) empowered believers to f**k the planet over."
Odd that the Bible would even have scriptures the Devil would find useful. Likewise, it has scriptures (such as the ones presented) that some people feel justified their unbridled exploitation of the Earth's natural resources (f**k'n the planet over in the process). Surely you are not so deep in denial that you can not admit that Humans, in their quest for resources and riches, have f**k'd the planet over and that a goodly number of them were 'Good Christians'. As such, where then do you suppose they drew their justification (empowerment)?

There's another adage ... "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" ... it's author must have known you.

United States of America

#9780 Apr 24, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Odd that the Bible would even have scriptures the Devil would find useful. Likewise, it has scriptures (such as the ones presented) that some people feel justified their unbridled exploitation of the Earth's natural resources (f**k'n the planet over in the process). Surely you are not so deep in denial that you can not admit that Humans, in their quest for resources and riches, have f**k'd the planet over and that a goodly number of them were 'Good Christians'. As such, where then do you suppose they drew their justification (empowerment)?
There's another adage ... "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" ... it's author must have known you.
Blah blah blah....and still totally irrelevant to the fact that none of the Bible passages you cited allude, imply, indicate, infer, insinuate, intimate, suggest or even remotely support the claim that "The bible (genesis) empowered believers to f**k the planet over."

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#9781 Apr 24, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike yourself, I have no anthropomorphic mental construct of God nor do I view this being or its actions as anything "supernatural".
What you refer to as "the Bible" is a collection of oral traditions transcribed from ancient Akkadian, Sumerian, Assyrian, Egyptian, Hurrite, Canaanite, etc sources probably starting around the 9th century when the Palestinians invented the first alphabet, i.e. Aramaic. Later contributions to this collection came from Essene, Ebionite, Nazarene and Theravada Buddhist sources. None of the texts known as "the Bible" were written by "Jews" or "Christians" as both religions were politically "astroturfed" and adopted these texts as their "canon" centuries later. The Bible is an invaluable resource for studying the evolving cosmology of Neolithic humans in the Levant where civilization, agriculture, and all other technologies were invented. Why do you have such an irrational and vitriolic contempt for this book?
I can't answer for him, but I have a vitriolic contempt for that book because it is not what it says it is. However, there is a contemporary work that I love for the same reason, it is what it says it is. It is called, Aesop's fables!! And it is a fine source of information for what was considered moral in the first century. But that wasn't its primary mission.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#9782 Apr 24, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>I thought it fit in nicely with your 'trees' comment.
It did, it did very well.

Montreal

#9783 Apr 24, 2013
ezdzit wrote:

Do you believe in a god?
Yes?
Do you believe the bible's stories and/or follow its rules?
Yes?

Then congrats, you have a religion and lied about it like many others on this site.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#9784 Apr 24, 2013
I bet they thinking they deny behaving a specific church and are just wandering generalities this makes them better somehow?

Fact is they are just ashamed to say what religion they belong to or closely align with because they don't want to debate their actual beliefs. It's rather cowardly.

But then lol they will go back and argue about their church's religiously defined ideas and interpretations as the correct way to see the bible.

Ug you just gotta laugh :))
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>Do you believe in a god?
Yes?
Yes?

Then congrats, you have a religion and lied about it like many others on this site.

United States of America

#9785 Apr 24, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe in a god?
Yes?
Yes?
I believe in the Laws of Causality and that all causes and effects can be tracked backward to a First Cause. I choose to refer to that First Cause as "God".

You equate believing in a cause and effect universe as "religion"?

Bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaha....

Scottsburg, IN

#9786 Apr 24, 2013
You can't chose your own facts reject that's not how it works. You can't just see something and say rub a dub dub dub... God!

Lol!

You can't assign attributes, actions and properties to this god until you have demonstrated there is a god there in the first place.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>I believe in the Laws of Causality and that all causes and effects can be tracked backward to a First Cause. I choose to refer to that First Cause as "God".

You equate believing in a cause and effect universe as "religion"?

Bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaha....

United States of America

#9787 Apr 24, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't answer for him, but I have a vitriolic contempt for that book because it is not what it says it is. However, there is a contemporary work that I love for the same reason, it is what it says it is. It is called, Aesop's fables!! And it is a fine source of information for what was considered moral in the first century. But that wasn't its primary mission.
The Bible is what it is. What it isn't is what most religions say it is. Big difference.

I love Aesop's fables, also Iliad and Odyssey, Epic if Gilgamesh, Grimm's Fairy Tales, etc

Scottsburg, IN

#9788 Apr 24, 2013
So you enjoy fiction which includes the bible.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible is what it is. What it isn't is what most religions say it is. Big difference.

I love Aesop's fables, also Iliad and Odyssey, Epic if Gilgamesh, Grimm's Fairy Tales, etc

#9789 Apr 24, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is what it is. What it isn't is what most religions say it is. Big difference.
Only Aesop's and Grimm's are what they say they are.

The Bible is not what it says it is. At best it is recorded oral traditions of the first century.

United States of America

#9790 Apr 24, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Only Aesop's and Grimm's are what they say they are.
The Bible is not what it says it is. At best it is recorded oral traditions of the first century.
What do you think the Bible says it is?

NT texts date to 1st century AD but there is consensus among scholars that original sources for various OT books are much much older. The Book of Proverbs was sourced to an Egyptian book called the "Instructions of Amenemhat", written circa 7th century BC as well as another book called the "Words of Ahikar", an Aramaic papyrus dated at 500 BC Parts of Genesis were sourced to fragments of a Babylonian book called the Sha naqba &#299;muru aka "He who Saw the Deep" which has been dated to the 13th century BC.

Scottsburg, IN

#9791 Apr 24, 2013
Links?
ezdzit wrote:

NT texts date to 1st century AD but there is consensus among scholars that original sources for various OT books are much much older. The Book of Proverbs was sourced to an Egyptian book called the "Instructions of Amenemhat", written circa 7th century BC as well as another book called the "Words of Ahikar", an Aramaic papyrus dated at 500 BC Parts of Genesis were sourced to fragments of a Babylonian book called the Sha naqba &#299;muru aka "He who Saw the Deep" which has been dated to the 13th century BC.

#9792 Apr 24, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Among other passages;

Jhn 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
Jhn 10:36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
Jhn 10:37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.

United States of America

#9793 Apr 24, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Among other passages;
Jhn 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
Jhn 10:36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
Jhn 10:37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
John 10:35-37 is Jesus' reference to Psalm 82:6 "I say, You are gods; you are all children of the Most High" as his scriptural authority for claiming to be the son of God.

How is this an example of the Bible claiming to be something it's not?

#9794 Apr 24, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
John 10:35-37 is Jesus' reference to Psalm 82:6 "I say, You are gods; you are all children of the Most High" as his scriptural authority for claiming to be the son of God.
It is not the word of God or even the words of the Son of God.

Really? You are that Obtuse?

Montreal

#9795 Apr 24, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
So you say you have no religion, yet you defend the bible at every corner?
You say you have no religion, yet believe in a god?

Jeez, how many times can you lie to yourself and everyone else?

Montreal

#9796 Apr 24, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
You know another hilarious thing?
He has small tells as well as the obvious ones.
For example: only the religious would capitalize the "b" in "bible."

United States of America

#9797 Apr 24, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Nowhere in the verses you cited is there any claim that the Bible is the word of God.

There are no verses that say what you are claiming the Bible and there are no verses which allude, imply, indicate, infer, insinuate, intimate, suggest or even remotely support the claim that "The bible (genesis) empowered believers to f**k the planet over."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Jun 24 John 4,952
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) May '17 yehoshooah adam 256,358
omens of dead animals (Aug '08) May '17 Tete Rouge 119
News Harrogate mother says foster families are relig... (Nov '15) Apr '17 Jogirl 52
News Magic 101: Who was Aleister Crowley? (Mar '11) Apr '17 skeptic 176
News Speaking of religion: Pagans stir a fuss in Beebe (Jun '14) Feb '17 guest 119
News Looking for a Pagan community in Kentucky? (Mar '12) Feb '17 Not a modern Chri... 15
More from around the web