Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News24

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Comments (Page 386)

Showing posts 7,701 - 7,720 of14,385
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

You gotta be kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are admitting that you either don't know any or that you don't have any. Typical.
No, I'm saying that idiots like you think that evolution is tied to atheism somehow. That's why you vomit out your ignorance to atheists and honestly believe you have posed the ultimate gotcha question to those smart aleck atheists. When the only thing you have done is knock over all the chess pieces and sh!t on the chessboard.

Nunya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had actually been following this thread you would know that I didn't ask anyone, atheist or otherwise, for proof of evolution. I never ask atheists about evolution.....ever. Period.
Get it?
Is this not your post?
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists NEVER post any evidence supporting their theology of evolution....because not one scientist has ever published a peer reviewed stand alone theory for them to copy & paste. And all these posers who can barely spell claiming to have PhD status? Horse feathers....or is it dinosaur feathers these days?
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
inv e

Tonga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Argument from Motion ... if everything must be put in motion by something else, what put the "first motion" into motion??-- Refuted!!
Argument from Efficient Causes ... if everything must have a cause, what caused God??-- Refuted!!
Argument from Possibility and Necessity (Reductio argument)... If God has always existed, then what God is made of also has always existed. If that something is 'pure energy' as some maintain, then energy has never been created nor destroyed, it only changes form. Also energy makes up everything else in the universe ... that is everything is made of 'pure energy'... therefore no creator is required.--- Refuted!!
Argument from Gradation of Being ...'... there must also be something which is to all beings the cause of their being ...." Again, what caused God?--- Refuted!!!
Argument from Design ... "...some intelligent being exists by whom all natural things are directed to their end..." What designed God??... also, just because a pattern is 'perceived', it does not mean it truly exists. Sometimes you will see a bunny or a dragon in a cloud formation. That does not mean there is actually a bunny or a dragon there, your mind simply perceives that pattern. This is the same thing with "ID", just because you believe you see a pattern of design, that does not mean it exists.--- Refuted!!!
Is that all you got dummy?
On a circle, where does it begin and where does it end?

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

inv e wrote:
<quoted text>
On a circle, where does it begin and where does it end?
I love it.....so zen.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this not your post?
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Of course it's my post, bubba.

And where in my post, pray tell, do you read any words that even remotely resembles moi posing a question about evolution to an atheist, hmmmmmmm......?

“Engaged to the love of my life”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

You gotta be kidding wrote:
<quoted text>I don't live in the 'reality' that you do, I live in the true reality, not the fake evolutionary one.
You mean your deluded fantasy-reality.

You keep getting mixed up.
Donkeys don't talk in reality, in your delusional mind they do.

It's funny how you think you live in reality.

“Engaged to the love of my life”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>If you had actually been following this thread you would know that I didn't ask anyone, atheist or otherwise, for proof of evolution. I never ask atheists about evolution.....ever. Period.

Get it?
Because you realize it's a fact and that there's no point in arguing the facts?

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean your deluded fantasy-reality.
You keep getting mixed up.
Donkeys don't talk in reality, in your delusional mind they do.
It's funny how you think you live in reality.
A strawman served with a red herring garnished of snarky ad hominems?

Typical atheist wit,,,,,,

Nunya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it's my post, bubba.
And where in my post, pray tell, do you read any words that even remotely resembles moi posing a question about evolution to an atheist, hmmmmmmm......?
It's implied, f--kwit. You're not very good at plausible deniability.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you realize it's a fact and that there's no point in arguing the facts?
No, because there's no point in arguing with someone who erroneously believes opinions unsupported by any scientific evidence are called "facts". Get it?
Jumper The Wise

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Gravity is a state of mind.

Nunya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
No, because there's no point in arguing with someone who erroneously believes opinions unsupported by any scientific evidence are called "facts". Get it?
The entire field of biology says you're wrong.

If you think it's wrong then you should submit your research for peer review. You don't get to call it wrong and then not propose a replacement theory.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
It's implied, f--kwit. You're not very good at plausible deniability.
Here's what I posted, bubba:

"Atheists NEVER post any evidence supporting their theology of evolution....because not one scientist has ever published a peer reviewed stand alone theory for them to copy & paste. And all these posers who can barely spell claiming to have PhD status? Horse feathers....or is it dinosaur feathers these days?"

Which words "implied" I was asking or even inclined to ask an atheist anything about evolution?

You're not very good at admitting you're wrong when you're dead wrong, are you? TypicaL atheist....

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Jumper The Wise wrote:
<quoted text>Little wooden dude!
How's things?!
I'll take that as your abject failure to rebuke me.

Bye.
Jumper The Wise

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll take that as your abject failure to rebuke me.
Bye.
How can I rebuke a cute little wood chip like you.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. The love of money does indeed corrupt, and there's a mountain of irrefutable empirical evidence extending back over 12 thousand years of civilization for support support that argument which is a standard proverb in all religious texts, not just the "good book".
That said, nothing about Flew's life suggests a love of money influenced his decision to change his religion from atheism to deism. Flew said he came to believe in a Creator God as a result of the scientific evidence and philosophical argument. Maybe he, a philosopher, was finally confronted with real science, i.e. that it's mathematically impossible that the present diversity of life on this planet could have evolved from a random mix of swamp soup by accident in the short span of 4.6 billion years. Ya think?
Maybe we can apply "Occam's Razor" ... which is simpler? He had this amazing philosophical reversal as a result of "scientific evidence" (?) which the rest of us have somehow missed or he wanted to enrich himself by selling his book to a receptive audience?

As for "mathematically impossible" I remind you that we have far too few life-bearing planets in our database to calculate the odds in any meaningful way. We look with a measure of optimism towards Mars, Europa and even tiny Enceladus as possibly supporting life. The Kepler mission is finding hundreds of planets, some of which orbit in their star's "habitable zone" and the latest estimates place literally trillions of planets in our Universe.

4.6 billion years is hardly a "short span" and represents an appreciable chunk of the age of the Universe. At least you concede the Earth is that old ... I congratulate you for that.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
The entire field of biology says you're wrong.
If you think it's wrong then you should submit your research for peer review. You don't get to call it wrong and then not propose a replacement theory.
LOL Dream on, bubba.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries”

-- Robert Jastrow, American astronomer, physicist and cosmologist, Noble Laureate, and agnostic, from his book, "God and the Astronomers" ( p. 107)

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hiya,
I suppose you coud argue it that way.
To me, agnosticism is purely a state of 'not knowing' what there is out there. While I accept the fact that there may or may not be a God, or an afterlife, i'm unable to commit to either idea because I don't have enough evidence to point me either way.
Personally, I think a majority of people who identify as athiests are actually agnostic, because athiesm in itself is a very devout belief that there is nothing afterwards, and I think everyone, no matter how firm they are in their beliefs, always have a nagging feeling at the back of their head; "what if i'm wrong?"
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, while the wise, so full of doubt." <Bertrand Russel>

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hiya,
I suppose you coud argue it that way.
To me, agnosticism is purely a state of 'not knowing' what there is out there. While I accept the fact that there may or may not be a God, or an afterlife, i'm unable to commit to either idea because I don't have enough evidence to point me either way.
Personally, I think a majority of people who identify as athiests are actually agnostic, because athiesm in itself is a very devout belief that there is nothing afterwards, and I think everyone, no matter how firm they are in their beliefs, always have a nagging feeling at the back of their head; "what if i'm wrong?"
You will notice there are some on here that have to have things black and white. There is either a god or not, an afterlife or not,you are either an athiest or a creationist, there are no room for maybes..according to some.

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe we can apply "Occam's Razor" ... which is simpler? He had this amazing philosophical reversal as a result of "scientific evidence" (?) which the rest of us have somehow missed or he wanted to enrich himself by selling his book to a receptive audience?
As for "mathematically impossible" I remind you that we have far too few life-bearing planets in our database to calculate the odds in any meaningful way. We look with a measure of optimism towards Mars, Europa and even tiny Enceladus as possibly supporting life. The Kepler mission is finding hundreds of planets, some of which orbit in their star's "habitable zone" and the latest estimates place literally trillions of planets in our Universe.
4.6 billion years is hardly a "short span" and represents an appreciable chunk of the age of the Universe. At least you concede the Earth is that old ... I congratulate you for that.
There's certainly no need to speculate about his reasons for reversing his beliefs about God as they are clearly stated and thoroughly explored in his book: "There is a God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed his Mind."

One might say that Flew simply experienced the "worst fate of philosopher" phenomena which Nietzsche humorously described, i.e. to successful argue your position for decades, finally convert your opponents, and then become aware that you have serious doubts about that very same position

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 7,701 - 7,720 of14,385
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••