Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14657 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#7739 Apr 1, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it is! Science and technology makes any kind of 'belief' system redundant and unnecessary. You are swimming in the milk and cookie world of the perpetual agnostic (or apologist). Here's a towel. You'll find the pure Light of Reason both warms and illuminates. Mind the gap.
Should we throw all scientific discoveries made by people of the religious persuasion?

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#7740 Apr 1, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
It's good that some religious folk are smart enough to see that their only real choice is to incorporate scientific realities into their belief systems. Many do not. It is those in particular (who refuse to incorporate scientific realities into their belief systems) that invite ridicule and questions regarding their IQ and mental health. I presume you recall your bringing these aspects up in an earlier post. I personally do not understand how you can reconcile 'faith' in a world of magic and science. It seems to me they would be forever at odds with each other. Of course, a great many people WANT this conciliation ... religious people who like science and scientists who, for whatever bizarre reason, like religion for it's ritual or artificial 'fellowship'. There's always a lot of 'experts' willing to sell their manufactured opinions to those who want to buy them. I like the purity of Atheism. Everything else is just muddying the water.
I don't believe in purity.
Although I would have to say that my favorite part about religion is using it to try and ' get into the heads' of those in the past.. sort of an anthropological thing. I am not an anthropologist but I do find it interesting.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7741 Apr 1, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Should we throw all scientific discoveries made by people of the religious persuasion?
Nope. All "scientific discoveries" are welcome, regardless of the source, as long as they pass the scrutiny of the Scientific Method, which they would, I suppose, by definition. It is, after all, the unsettling search for truth that leads religious folk into scientific endeavor. Their religion just doesn't satisfy. Their minds rebel.

Texas, USA

#7742 Apr 1, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>I don't believe in purity.
Although I would have to say that my favorite part about religion is using it to try and ' get into the heads' of those in the past.. sort of an anthropological thing. I am not an anthropologist but I do find it interesting.
There was little else in their heads so I can certainly understand where you are coming from on that. You'd almost have to. It is all very interesting ... it's a pity we don't have more time. We can come so close to an understanding then BAM! it's over and the next generation has to figure it out all over again.

Texas, USA

#7743 Apr 1, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>That suspicion is well founded.
It is indeed!! Considering that just about everything we think, feel and 'know' is programmed into us by some kind of 'authority figure'.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#7744 Apr 1, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Should we throw all scientific discoveries made by people of the religious persuasion?
Science is science regardless of religion.

There are lots of scientist that do science yet are religious. Granted its less than 5% of scientists, but they do exist.

None of this prove that god is real however, so you fail yet again...

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#7745 Apr 1, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>"Typical" East Texas lake w/ dam on some river or another. Kind of murky water with a lot of stumps, weed beds, etc. I enjoy coaxing bass from such places.
I really need a vacation. Fishing is the way to go! Well enjoy yourself! Some of my friends want to plan a fishing trip, I might suggest the place you are going.

Location hidden

#7746 Apr 1, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>It's beautiful, my father had a place near there for the last twenty years or so. According to my brother the crappie are hitting right now, on little green jigs.
Fishing is amazing. I might have to try that place.

Location hidden

#7747 Apr 1, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
I really need a vacation.
We've been saying that for ages. Please f*ck off.

“Can't help being fabulous”

Since: Dec 10

Sparkle <3

#7748 Apr 1, 2013
This is a really good point...

Tbf people use religion merely as a way to overcome thanatophobia... because the human mind can't truly understand and accept the concept of death.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#7749 Apr 1, 2013
Yes that was a great one! Sad when even though the people had their conspiracy factually destroyed in front of their eyes they still couldn't let go.

Check out that guy and his, I'm a scientist series. You will probably like it.
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>I haven't seen it but I will see if I can find it..
I found this interesting though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Oju_lpqa6UgXX

Texas, USA

#7750 Apr 1, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
I really need a vacation. Fishing is the way to go! Well enjoy yourself! Some of my friends want to plan a fishing trip, I might suggest the place you are going.
I kind of like Lake Sam Rayburn a little better for bass fishing but both are beautiful areas (not very far apart), camp grounds abound and a good time would be had by all.

United States

#7751 Apr 1, 2013
Disproof in belief comes from the proposition of god having no observable evidence to back it up.
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Your post made it seem as if anyone who claims to have a religion must deny science. Proof of science and technology is not disproof against belief.

United States

#7752 Apr 1, 2013
I fear death as much as I fear taking a nap. Death is merely part of nature.
Kesla15 wrote:

Tbf people use religion merely as a way to overcome thanatophobia... because the human mind can't truly understand and accept the concept of death.

Texas, USA

#7753 Apr 1, 2013
Kesla15 wrote:
Not accepting the concept of death and having a strong survival instinct probably go hand in hand. DNA molecules certainly want the organisms they encapsulate themselves within to have a strong survival instinct. Religion (and dreams of postmortem immortality) is just some unfortunate, undesired consequence of what is otherwise a perfectly reasonable instinct.

Cool word by the way. It must be really hard to work it into a normal conversation.

Location hidden

#7754 Apr 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>We've been saying that for ages. Please f*ck off.
You are something else. It's fun ticking you off.

Texas, USA

#7755 Apr 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
It is, but it ain't. I think DNA molecules know about 'transcription errors' and program organisms for death to keep the code relatively intact. I think death, from 'old age' at least, is as natural as any other disease and just as curable. Transcription errors remain a problem. How about lead-lined snow shoes?

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#7756 Apr 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an interesting statement. However, it is only provable at the time of your death, and then, only if you know it is imminent.

Location hidden

#7757 Apr 1, 2013
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
You are something else. It's fun ticking you off.
We should expect perversity in fun from a person that actually believes that jesus rode on the backs of dinosaurs for real.

United States

#7758 Apr 1, 2013
It is a true statement regardless if you find it interesting or not. I enjoy life and waste not one second ever dreading death. Rather I live a good healthy lifestyle and try to naturally. I would fear pain and suffering and say if some gunman was pointing a gun at me it would be tragic. But the actual death thing scares me as much as taking a nap.

Everybody is going to die just as every living person is going to sleep. I don't fear death anymore than I fear going to sleep.
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>That's an interesting statement. However, it is only provable at the time of your death, and then, only if you know it is imminent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 5 min JOEL GEN Y 228,353
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... Jul 26 Shizle 40
omens of dead animals (Aug '08) Jul 24 skylar 108
Shadows and sounds Jul 23 Dizy 1
News Looking for a Pagan community in Kentucky? (Mar '12) Jul 4 Pam 11
News What is Asatru? (Dec '10) Jul 3 ex pagan 2
News Sorry Witches, You Won't Be Able to Buy Spells ... Jun '15 Drake_Burrwood 1
More from around the web