Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14659 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

You gotta be kidding

Auckland, New Zealand

#7365 Mar 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. We look at the spectra that gases produce *on earth* in a reproducibly and unique way. We then look at the spectra of stars and use it to determine which gases are in that star. This is NOT circular reasoning. It is the reasoning of establishing a connection here on earth through many, reproducible experiments and then using that knowledge to determine the composition of the stars.
<.
It is because you do not know the type, mix or concentration of gas that you cannot test. You are lying and if this is your science it is not science. it is Guess work and speculation.
You gotta be kidding

Auckland, New Zealand

#7366 Mar 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
But in order for the earth and universe to be less than 10,000 years old, all modern science has to be wrong.
So, yes, you *do* declare all modern science to be wrong.
No only evolution need be wrong not any real science only evolution.
You gotta be kidding

Auckland, New Zealand

#7367 Mar 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
They evolved *after* oxygen was released by precursors to the algae.
So what was there prior to the algae, how did it's biology work. Post proof of this please.
You gotta be kidding

Auckland, New Zealand

#7368 Mar 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is fact, mixed with legend, mixed with propaganda, mixed with superstition, mixed with poor philosophy, etc. It has some historically accurate facts. It also has a lot of historically inaccurate claims.
No the BIBLE is 100% factual, you need to prove your claims once again. GO FOR IT>

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#7369 Mar 17, 2013
You gotta be kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
If carbon dating is so good why were living molluscs date at over 100,000 years old, on more than one occasion.
Because many mulluscs get their carbon from the carbonate rocks in their environment instead of the carbon dioxide in the air. In other words, the carbon that they use is OLD carbon where all the C14 has decayed away. Most living things get their carbon from the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere where the C14 level is nearly constant.

This is a very well-known example of using a good method where it doesn't apply. For the vast majority of organisms, there is no problem with carbon dating.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#7370 Mar 17, 2013
<quoted text>
So what was there prior to the algae, how did it's biology work. Post proof of this please.
Algae are eucaryotic cells-meaning their cells are complex and have embedded organelles (which often have their own DNA). Before them were various types of bacteria, which are simple cells having no organelles or nucleolus.

Many bacteria today are obligate anaerobes, meaning that oxygen is actually poisonous to them. Many others can live perfectly well in the absence of oxygen. The biology of early bacteria was likely similar to the anaerobic bacteria today.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#7371 Mar 17, 2013
<quoted text>
No only evolution need be wrong not any real science only evolution.
No, all of cosmology has to be wrong, most of biology, most of physics, all of geology. The universe is about 13.7 billion years old and the earth is about 4.5 billion years old. Those numbers do not depend on evolution, which is a theory about how biological species change over time.
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

#7372 Mar 17, 2013
Less is more.

:D
LuLu Ford wrote:
<quoted text>
I love that saying. It sure is. LOL
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

#7373 Mar 17, 2013
Why?
<quoted text>
Yes evolution is bollocks, so why don't you just admit it.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#7374 Mar 17, 2013
<quoted text>
It is because you do not know the type, mix or concentration of gas that you cannot test. You are lying and if this is your science it is not science. it is Guess work and speculation.
So then you've never heard of gas sprectromography? Why am I not surprised?

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#7375 Mar 17, 2013
<quoted text>
The very same thing can (and has been) said for the follower of the religions of evolutionism and darwinism.
The difference is that I have read both sides I have dismissed the illogical side, hence I have dismissed evolution and all it's off shoots.
Why do you fundies like to lie and say that belief in evolution is a religion?

Santa Monica, CA

#7376 Mar 17, 2013
<quoted text>
No the BIBLE is 100% factual, you need to prove your claims once again. GO FOR IT>
LOL.
The Buy bull says there were day and night before there was a sun. So, we can dismiss it as nonsense before we get to verse 6.

Santa Monica, CA

#7377 Mar 17, 2013
<quoted text>
I have no idea.
But I do know the creation story in Genesis is just Bronze Age myth. Eve was made from Adam's rib. Eve would have had the same DNA Adam did. Eve would have been a man. They didn't know about DNA back then. What's your excuse for believing that story?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#7378 Mar 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Where does it say that or anything even close to it. POST BOOK, CHAPTER AND VERSE.
Ha, ha, ha ha, ha, it has been posted a thousand times, and you loons still don't get it. The bible god is so bizarre, he is beaten by the iron chariot, yet he is going to take on every human being from a time where the iron chariot is king of the road. Judges 1:19, read it in any one of the many different buy bulls, you do buy that bull right? Tell your god RP said "Vroom, vroom!".

Your buy bull god also will make you eat your children, had sacrifices made from gold dipt rats and human hemorrhoids, came up with some weird dung barley cakes recipes, will make you drink piss, will make you eat your children, wants you to pay your taxes, and is sending every bastard even unto the tenth generation to hell(and that means Jesus* too).

*the Jewish Rabbi

It is your buybull god and it is the only reason for his claimed existence, why don't you know it?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#7379 Mar 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Whatsoever ye shall ask in his name, it shall be done.

No qualifiers, it shall be done.

The god has given his word, and broken it immediately. LOL!

Bad god!

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#7381 Mar 18, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. How do you define "science" ? What is its scope?
02. You cannot use "materialistic science" to detect Non Materialistic Creator. This is the not the problem of Science. It is your "misuse" of science.
Ask science "can things create themselves" can "any thing be created without design, plan or purpose"?
You are bringing bad name to Science and yourself too by making these childish remarks.
03. You are suffering because "Materialists" have taken control of the world and taking it to the direction of destruction.
Two "most deadly wars" in human histories WW-1 and WW-2 were fought not on religious grounds and neither would WW-3 be fought on religious ground.
Very few wars in human history have been fought on "pure religious grounds".
But many people have "misused the name of religion to camouflage their base desires on religious motives"
05. So you are ready to face "any punishment" in the next world? What about this world? Just put your hand in burning flame of a candle and see "how many seconds" you can withstand it?
I like your "courage"…cut this statement of yours and ask it to be placed in your coffin at the time of burial.
06. So "Luck" is your God? Have it your way!!
07. It seems you have never been to Middle east or toured "every country" in the world, otherwise you will not make another of your "childish comment"
08. All of us are brainwashed, you by your "biased media" and we by our study and reasoning.
09. Did you ask the same question with your politicians? What they do? They just live on people, doing NOTHING!!
01. Science is the pursuit that deciphers / demystifies reality. It is all encompassing.

02. Well, that is very convenient for those who would have you swallow their hook, is it not? No one who has ever lived was present at 'the moment of creation'. We find ourselves in the middle of an ongoing process. There are clues scattered about. Religion ignores them, science gathers them.

03. It is clear that Humanity does not need religion to justify war, but it's good to know that it's there, just in case. Jihad anyone lately? LOL

05. Like I said ... religion can punish me all it wants in the next world, in this one leave me alone.

The candle thing is interesting. I read a science fiction novel when I was a kid (I can't for the life of me remember the name) about a fierce race living on a desert planet, who would (and I paraphrase from memory here)'gladly burn themselves alive for the least of their convictions, while I couldn't endure a candle flame five seconds for the greatest of mine". It wasn't Herbert's "Dune", but some other.

My courage has not been tested in battle nor my endurance tested under torture. It is foolish to talk about how an individual will react to extreme circumstances. We are all members of the Race of Men who have demonstrated great courage and supreme endurance many times. What we seem to be lacking is common sense.

06. No gods.

07. Whatever.

08. True enough. Fight it.

09. I am more likely to see an angel than communicate directly to a politician.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#7382 Mar 18, 2013
<quoted text>If carbon dating is so good why were living molluscs date at over 100,000 years old, on more than one occasion.

I guess you and lulie mother of pervert are too blind to see anything against your man made religion.
Because there are living molecules that are over 100'000 years old.
Henry

Bischofferode, Germany

#7383 Mar 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yaaay! Thank you for your kind words - and IANS for bringing me here.
Yeah, the article is basically saying "thanks to a wider access of education, entertainment, health medicine and social connections, religion is dying." I'd agree with that.
Strong belief, as denoted by church attendance and paying attention to religious leaders, is at a historical low and continues to drop. Even those who "believe in God" and are self-professed Christians don't know the Bible, don't attend church, don't think about God much. I see this every day in my classes. Since I teach evolution, people are compelled to write to me "I believe in God, but..." I get these letters all the time instead of the assignments they are supposed to write - telling you the low quality of k-12 education in America, sorry - but few of them are strong believers. Maybe one in every class of 40.
Subsequently I get a few letters - again, only one or two - of people who write "I can't believe someone is talking about their religion again. Don't they understand anything about science?" or other letters disparaging the poor quality of thinking that Creationists have.
So it's moving away from strongly religious for a no. of reasons. America is a nation that draws strength in individuality and there's been a movement toward personalizing religion - each finds their own God. Couple that with the massive amount of easily accessible information - science has crushed all that religion once held on high. Only an uneducated person could be a Bible literalist in today's world. All but the deceitful religious leaders have admitted the world is old, evolution occurs, we don't live in an earth or heliocentric universe - and they've basically had to move to esoteric spiritualism.
The new ways in which we create community without religion make religion redundant. Religion no longer explains the universe around us (or does so with such ridiculous absurdity, it's laughably undermining itself). And I think that's the crux of the matter. Religion isn't necessary if we can form larger than kin-based social bonds through our education, entertainment, economies, treaties, societal laws and so on.
But it will remain a fascinating and rich historical narrative, so that children can ask their parents "why would anyone believe the world was 6000 years old? why would anyone believe in hell?"
Science in a child form would be more attractive
Henry

Bischofferode, Germany

#7384 Mar 18, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 25:31-46:
41"Then he will say to those on his left,'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' 44"They also will answer,'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ 45"He will reply,'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ 46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life”.
Sorry, total Marxist, no strawman, just the words of your divine god breathed scripture.
I pity people which do not accept the non existance of any god!
Henry

Bischofferode, Germany

#7385 Mar 18, 2013
<quoted text>
I am glad to say that I dismissed the evolutionary brainwashing a long time ago.
Well, you have fallen for brainwashing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 29 min NotQuiter 228,357
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... Jul 26 Shizle 40
omens of dead animals (Aug '08) Jul 24 skylar 108
Shadows and sounds Jul 23 Dizy 1
News Looking for a Pagan community in Kentucky? (Mar '12) Jul 4 Pam 11
News What is Asatru? (Dec '10) Jul 3 ex pagan 2
News Sorry Witches, You Won't Be Able to Buy Spells ... Jun '15 Drake_Burrwood 1
More from around the web