Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,456

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#6953 Mar 9, 2013
DNF wrote:
I don't think religion will ever cease to exist. Certain Dogmas and Doctrines may change and new ones may become established. But I also see a rise in Atheism and Agnosticism due to the inflexibility most religions eventually reach.
The thing is, if someone has decided there is no God, it makes no sense to me for people of faith to try to convince them they are wrong.
That's the problem with any religion that claims to be the "one true way to God". It's sort of schizophrenic in a way. On the one hand humility to God is expected. Yet at the same time, a type of 'self-arrogance' is also preached; the idea that only YOUR group is actually "God's Chosen".
All this arguing back and forth is pointless.
I agree. Either one believes in God, Goddess, Divine Providence, or something beyond this life, or one does not.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#6954 Mar 9, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>Faith and science are not incompatible. There are scientist who also maintain a religious faith.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...
Okay, and?
You can still know the facts like evolution and believe in a god. You can still exercise your belief in god even if you know the truth about the stories.

Anyone can believe in anything they want, I just don't believe because there's no evidence. That's what faith is; believing in something without proof.

I never said one can't be a scientist and believe in a god.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#6955 Mar 9, 2013
DNF wrote:
I don't think religion will ever cease to exist. Certain Dogmas and Doctrines may change and new ones may become established. But I also see a rise in Atheism and Agnosticism due to the inflexibility most religions eventually reach.

The thing is, if someone has decided there is no God, it makes no sense to me for people of faith to try to convince them they are wrong.

That's the problem with any religion that claims to be the "one true way to God". It's sort of schizophrenic in a way. On the one hand humility to God is expected. Yet at the same time, a type of 'self-arrogance' is also preached; the idea that only YOUR group is actually "God's Chosen".

All this arguing back and forth is pointless.
You must also admit that those with faith cannot be convinced that there is no god.
It is something I admit is unprovable.

Though letting others believe or not believe as they wish, and not forcing beliefs or non-beliefs on them, is something everyone should learn.
Sadly, there are many who think that their beliefs trump human rights.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#6956 Mar 9, 2013
Higher the IQ the less likely you fall for the myth of god/s.
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Either one believes in God, Goddess, Divine Providence, or something beyond this life, or one does not.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#6957 Mar 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Higher the IQ the less likely you fall for the myth of god/s.
<quoted text>
http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Secular-Philo...

Believe in God?

Contrary to the slanders voiced by arrogant atheists, we who believe in God are in very distinguished company indeed.

Excerpted from Can A Smart Person Believe In God? with permission of Nelson Books.

Can a smart person believe in God? The only reason the question even needs asking is this: persons identifying themselves as atheists, agnostics, humanists, and secularists-a total of less than 1 percent of the population, according to the City University of Mew York's 2001 American Religious Identification Survey-tend to see themselves as Marines of the mind: they are the few, the proud, the rational materialists.

Boasted the nineteenth-century American politician and atheist Robert Green Ingersoll:

"For ages, a deadly conflict has been waged between a few crave men and women of thought and genius upon the one side, and the great ignorant religious mass on the other."

In Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith, best-selling author Anne Lamott describes how she became a born-again Christian. It wasn't easy: it involved overcoming a sixties childhood dominated by sex, drugs, alcohol, and snooty secularism:

None of the adults in our circle believed [in God]. Believing meant that you were stupid. Ignorant people believed, uncouth people believed, and we were heavily couth. My dad was a writer, and my parents were intellectuals who went to the Newport Jazz festival every year for their vacation and listened to Monk and Mozart and the Modern Jazz Quartet. Everyone read all the time...We were raised to believe in books and music and nature.

Atheism and its attending superiority complex are especially rampant among certain leading scientists. In an article titled, "Scientists Are Still Keeping the Faith," published in the April 3, 1997 issue of Nature, Edward Larson and Larry Witham revealed that about 40 percent of all American physical scientists believe in a personal God (presumably, still more of them believe in a non-personal God). Considering science's widespread reputation for being godless, that's a pretty sizable fraction. But in a subsequent study, the authors discovered that among members of the National Academy of Sciences-science's high priests-a mere 7 percent believe in a personal God.

During my years at Harvard, I recall a physics professor teaching undergraduates about the seminal contributions of the early twentieth-century Cal-Tech physicist and Nobel Prize-winner Robert Millikan. Millikan is renowned for his brilliant and historic oil-drop experiment, in which he discovered that every electron carries an indivisible electric charge. It's too bad, lamented the Harvard professor, that Millikan, a devoutly religious man, was such a "low-brow" (his exact words) when it cane to his personal beliefs.

If you believe in God and the importance of intelligence and education and civility, how do you respond properly to such haughty atheism? For starters, by recognizing that for all their superior airs, atheists are really no different from you and me. Like us, atheists believe in something they can't prove scientifically.

Advertisement

Can a Smart Person Believe in God?
Contrary to the slanders voiced by arrogant atheists, we who believe in God are in very distinguished company indeed.
BY: Michael Guillen

5  1  2  1
Continued from page 1

Atheists Are Believers

The British actor and writer Quentin Crisp tells a funny story about the time he visited Northern Ireland and announced he was an atheist. Crisp recalls: "A woman in the audience stood up and said,`Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?'"

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#6958 Mar 10, 2013
beliefnet? Stop humiliating yourself already.
Pietro Armando wrote:

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#6959 Mar 10, 2013
B_Girl_Turco wrote:
who said atheism will replace religion ?
Do you think yourself a man supercool when you deny the religions ?
:)
Religions will continue to fade into obscurity, as mankind becomes more educated. We are no longer a species who believes that earthquakes are messages from gods, we no longer see storms as godly threats or punishments. We have become aware of the very real factors, and their causes that influence our earths stability and it's atmosphere.

Education: get yourself some.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#6960 Mar 10, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Religions will continue to fade into obscurity, as mankind becomes more educated. We are no longer a species who believes that earthquakes are messages from gods, we no longer see storms as godly threats or punishments. We have become aware of the very real factors, and their causes that influence our earths stability and it's atmosphere.
Education: get yourself some.
Education: available today at a school near you.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#6961 Mar 10, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith and science are not incompatible. There are scientist who also maintain a religious faith.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...
Going to some kind of 'Paradise' after you die is as appealing to scientists as it is disillusioned Popes. Who really knows? Maybe there is some kind of ...

Oops. Almost spiraled off into godbot fantasy land. But really ... even the smartest, most educated, most scientist sounding people on here dance around and won't just come out and say there's ZERO chance for a God of some kind. They'll launch into a probability and statistics lesson to an audience, most of whom, make their decisions with a coin toss. From the seeds of these miniscule philosophical improbabilities ENORMOUS AND TERRIFYING RELIGIONS BLOSSOM!!!

Science has explored the electromagnetic spectrum from DC to light, dug and bounced sound waves off layers deep underground, counted photons from the edge of the Universe and THERE AIN'T NO HEAVEN AND THERE AIN'T NO HELL. There ... I've said it. This dumb-ass radio technician from Texas has come on out and said it. Prove me wrong. Spare me the tales of how Aunt Bessy May's nose wart fell off after a night of intense prayer or how a 'voice' led you to your dead Grandpa's long lost stash of silver dollars. The evidence for my assertion is all around you. It's in the faces of the starving and the neglected and the frightened. It's in the BILLIONS of unanswered prayers that get muttered in quiet desperation every minute of every day. Your God is an evil basterd and we're trying to club it to death with words.
Lincoln

United States

#6962 Mar 10, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Going to some kind of 'Paradise' after you die is as appealing to scientists as it is disillusioned Popes. Who really knows? Maybe there is some kind of ...
Oops. Almost spiraled off into godbot fantasy land. But really ... even the smartest, most educated, most scientist sounding people on here dance around and won't just come out and say there's ZERO chance for a God of some kind. They'll launch into a probability and statistics lesson to an audience, most of whom, make their decisions with a coin toss. From the seeds of these miniscule philosophical improbabilities ENORMOUS AND TERRIFYING RELIGIONS BLOSSOM!!!
Science has explored the electromagnetic spectrum from DC to light, dug and bounced sound waves off layers deep underground, counted photons from the edge of the Universe and THERE AIN'T NO HEAVEN AND THERE AIN'T NO HELL. There ... I've said it. This dumb-ass radio technician from Texas has come on out and said it. Prove me wrong. Spare me the tales of how Aunt Bessy May's nose wart fell off after a night of intense prayer or how a 'voice' led you to your dead Grandpa's long lost stash of silver dollars. The evidence for my assertion is all around you. It's in the faces of the starving and the neglected and the frightened. It's in the BILLIONS of unanswered prayers that get muttered in quiet desperation every minute of every day. Your God is an evil basterd and we're trying to club it to death with words.
godbot fantasy land ...
into atheist fantasy land,
the land rejected my most Americans
and President Obama :-)

Earth,TX

#6963 Mar 10, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
we who believe in God are in very distinguished company indeed.
How much intelligence does it require to accept that the god who loves you and the god who would make you eat your child, are one and the same?

Distinguished company indeed!

Atheist: not theist, nothing more just not a theist.

Earth,TX

#6964 Mar 10, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Education: available today at a school near you.
:)
Fr Petronius

Sonoma, CA

#6965 Mar 10, 2013
My flock and I had never met Hugo Chavez or V.I. Lenin and now they are both dead and yet they each in some awesome respects continue to await visits. This means to the faithful that we should visit the model of the only permitted variety democracy in the world as it selects its Holy Father by vote of an assemblage of the Princes of the Church. We should adopt this model in practice, it already exists in fact, and have our Prezdents chosen by the sequestered Princes of Wall Street. The usual hoo-ah-ah-booh of the never ending campaign cycle as an Industry of tradition would, of course, have to continue. There could be the same effort and coin invested in displays of sacrifice, posed encounter and control, staged victories and defeats by replicating the colloseum concept with 24/7 showings on the current hand held electronic distraction device. I'll take a pound and half, sliced thin.
Lincoln

United States

#6966 Mar 10, 2013
Fr Petronius wrote:
My flock and I had never met Hugo Chavez or V.I. Lenin and now they are both dead and yet they each in some awesome respects continue to await visits. This means to the faithful that we should visit the model of the only permitted variety democracy in the world as it selects its Holy Father by vote of an assemblage of the Princes of the Church. We should adopt this model in practice, it already exists in fact, and have our Prezdents chosen by the sequestered Princes of Wall Street. The usual hoo-ah-ah-booh of the never ending campaign cycle as an Industry of tradition would, of course, have to continue. There could be the same effort and coin invested in displays of sacrifice, posed encounter and control, staged victories and defeats by replicating the colloseum concept with 24/7 showings on the current hand held electronic distraction device. I'll take a pound and half, sliced thin.
amusing

"..so Help Me God." President Obama
Lincoln

United States

#6967 Mar 10, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>How much intelligence does it require to accept that the God who loves you and the God who would make you eat your child, are one and the same?
Distinguished company indeed!
Atheist: not theist, nothing more just not a theist.
Jeffrey Dahmer was an atheist in good standing, and sitting for a meal.

Texas, USA

#6968 Mar 10, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
godbot fantasy land ...
into atheist fantasy land,
the land rejected my most Americans
and President Obama :-)
Politicians say what they think "most Americans" want to hear, it's their job. Large groups of people behave in predictable and malleable ways. Best to keep "most Americans" god-fearing and it doesn't really matter much WHICH god. The Islamic god seems to eat brains for breakfast ... I'm particularly scared of that one, but tyrants seem to love him. Our President is adept at using either one, whichever suits his audience. BEWARE THE JABBERWOCK!!!

Texas, USA

#6969 Mar 10, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeffrey Dahmer was an atheist in good standing, and sitting for a meal.
Okay. You forced me to read Dahmer's rather bizarre bio where I learned that his father was a Creationist. No other mention was made of religion. I could certainly see where an atheist could be driven mad by a Creationist father.

Since: May 11

UK

#6970 Mar 10, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Sir,

I cannot tell you how much I wish I had come up with such an erudite analysis of the whole mess we call religion as the one I have just read.

If I read one of that calibre per week the time spent on topix has not been wasted.

Credit where credit is due. Thank you.
Lincoln

United States

#6971 Mar 10, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. You forced me to read Dahmer's rather bizarre bio where I learned that his father was a Creationist. No other mention was made of religion. I could certainly see where an atheist could be driven mad by a Creationist father.
Dahmer's greatest Hits Album

"My Hot-dog has a first Name,
his first Name in Frank" :-)

Creationists seems odd
but metaphysical certainty may be an illusion, eh?
Peace
Lincoln

United States

#6972 Mar 10, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Politicians say what they think "most Americans" want to hear, it's their job. Large groups of people behave in predictable and malleable ways. Best to keep "most Americans" god-fearing and it doesn't really matter much WHICH god. The Islamic god seems to eat brains for breakfast ... I'm particularly scared of that one, but tyrants seem to love him. Our President is adept at using either one, whichever suits his audience. BEWARE THE JABBERWOCK!!!
George Harrison

"Watch out now, take care
Beware of greedy leaders
They take you where you should not go
While weeping Atlas cedars
They just want to grow, grow and grow
Beware of darkness (Beware of darkness)"

Peace

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 27 min FRCS FRCOG 205,926
Satanists Unveil Design for Statehouse Statue (Jan '14) Nov 22 buckwheat 12
Student expelled for casting a spell (Jan '14) Nov 22 Stay6c 6
Is reincarnation real?? (Feb '11) Nov 15 holysupremacy 70
Looking to correspond with Pagan's Nov 12 GordonM 1
drawing with pen Nov 11 scribbles 1
Shadow Energy / Shadow Magic (Feb '08) Nov 11 scribbles 25

Pagan/Wiccan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE