Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14657 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

Jumper The Wise

Owensboro, KY

#6469 Feb 28, 2013
The moving finger writes.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#6470 Feb 28, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Try as we might, from examining the debris of smashed atoms to Hubble Ultra-deep exposures ... no sign of any designer. Plenty of signs to indicate how insignificant we are and how tenuous our hold on this planet. Even now, the asteroid or comet that's going to erase us off the face of the Earth is up there, in it's unstable orbit, biding it's time. Had we not squandered our time and treasure in pointless struggle, our minds and energy in worshiping make-believe gods, we could be safely scattered throughout the Solar System by now and eying the stars. I think it's cool that Momma Nature entrusted her precious DNA with giant reptiles last time. Didn't work out. Tried intelligent monkeys this time, good idea! We certainly have the potential to save the planet from further impacts. How could she have known our big brains and vivid imaginations would invent religion? I'm willing to bet the next dominant species has no gods.
The whole life-after-death thing ... religion's biggest lie. Particularly yours, which is bent on making this life so miserable and the next so enticing that people are willing to sacrifice themselves for it. Of course, early Christianity had the same problem until they decided to make it a sin.
" http://crouchfoundation.org/history-of-suicid... ;
http://crouchfoundation.org/history-of-suicid...
So that is the limit of your imagination? How come that particle came into existence? Self Creation?

How "dumb" your Experts become, I fail to realize?

Wake up and talk sense, my boy!! Wake up.
Thinking

Shaftesbury, UK

#6471 Mar 1, 2013
I don't follow a religion that places limits on imagination.

btw, when will islamic Female Genital Mutilation end?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
So that is the limit of your imagination? How come that particle came into existence? Self Creation?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#6472 Mar 1, 2013
Well you prefer experts who shoot teenage girls for asking for a better education yes?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#6473 Mar 1, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Imagination is great, but when it comes to understanding the Universe, I believe in hardware. Are you asking 'how' that particle came into existence or 'why'? How it came into existence is fairly well understood (by science)...'why' is in the province of your imagination.

It's becoming clear that godbots kind of blow off the 'how'... god did it ... and write volumes trying to give some kind of meaning to it all. Whereas Atheists (in the guise of scientists) fill libraries with the 'how' and blow off the 'why'... it just is.

The point I'm struggling to make is that there is no meaning, reason or 'why' to it. Humans fill that void with such things as nationalism, patriotism, egotism and religion. Under flags and banners and holy books we'll lend it all a grim (if temporary) reality with our wars, jihads and crusades.

What a game. What a waste!

Texas, USA

#6474 Mar 1, 2013
Lisa wrote:
God is about to punish the world because people care more about money and the things of the world than they do about God, love, heaven, and the things of God. Go to a web site called, Direction For Our Times. There is a woman who lives in Ireland who wrote these little books called, Volumes. She is a very devout Catholic (Ohhh, bad word) and also a prophet. She gets no money for the sale of the Volumes. You can purchase them at that web site OR you can read them for free at that web site. Jesus and Mary have spoken to her and told her to put their words into those little books entitled, Volumes. Read Volume 5. It tells us that the Catholic church is going to be filled with corrupt men and the church will fail. It says that there are going to be horrible natural disasters, a world wide famine, and 3 days of which the world will be entombed in darkness. It also says that, once the world is cleansed of all the enemies of God (those who have turned away from Him and rejected His only Son, Jesus Christ) the church will come back stronger and more beautiful than it ever was in history. And the entire world will be Christian. Read it and weep :)
Yada, yada, yada. Why is he always "about" to do something and never does anything? Don't you get tired of waiting? I say BRING IT ON!!!

Hey God!! How about one last, mighty, awe inspiring BLAST of nothing so your worshipers can finally fall silent!

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#6475 Mar 1, 2013
Lisa wrote:
God is about to punish the world because people care more about money and the things of the world than they do about God, love, heaven, and the things of God. Go to a web site called, Direction For Our Times. There is a woman who lives in Ireland who wrote these little books called, Volumes. She is a very devout Catholic (Ohhh, bad word) and also a prophet. She gets no money for the sale of the Volumes. You can purchase them at that web site OR you can read them for free at that web site. Jesus and Mary have spoken to her and told her to put their words into those little books entitled, Volumes. Read Volume 5. It tells us that the Catholic church is going to be filled with corrupt men and the church will fail. It says that there are going to be horrible natural disasters, a world wide famine, and 3 days of which the world will be entombed in darkness. It also says that, once the world is cleansed of all the enemies of God (those who have turned away from Him and rejected His only Son, Jesus Christ) the church will come back stronger and more beautiful than it ever was in history. And the entire world will be Christian. Read it and weep :)
Nonsense.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#6476 Mar 1, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Try as we might, from examining the debris of smashed atoms to Hubble Ultra-deep exposures ... no sign of any designer. Plenty of signs to indicate how insignificant we are and how tenuous our hold on this planet. Even now, the asteroid or comet that's going to erase us off the face of the Earth is up there, in it's unstable orbit, biding it's time. Had we not squandered our time and treasure in pointless struggle, our minds and energy in worshiping make-believe gods, we could be safely scattered throughout the Solar System by now and eying the stars. I think it's cool that Momma Nature entrusted her precious DNA with giant reptiles last time. Didn't work out. Tried intelligent monkeys this time, good idea! We certainly have the potential to save the planet from further impacts. How could she have known our big brains and vivid imaginations would invent religion? I'm willing to bet the next dominant species has no gods.
The whole life-after-death thing ... religion's biggest lie. Particularly yours, which is bent on making this life so miserable and the next so enticing that people are willing to sacrifice themselves for it. Of course, early Christianity had the same problem until they decided to make it a sin.
" http://crouchfoundation.org/history-of-suicid... ;
http://crouchfoundation.org/history-of-suicid...
Exactly!!!!

“When I Rest... I Rust ”

Since: Apr 07

SacTown

#6477 Mar 1, 2013
thennian wrote:
I don't even think hell has fire.. actually think it is like.. just a place of eternal boredom..
Sounds just like heaven.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#6478 Mar 1, 2013
Obscured by the fact that the Obama Administration submitted a brief against Prop 8 is the brief the American Sociological Association submitted.… ASA said the following about the Regnerus study in its brief (pgs. 26-29):
First, the Regnerus study does not specifically examine children born or adopted into same-sex parent families, but instead examines children who, from the time they were born until they were 18 or moved out, had a parent who at any time had “a same-sex romantic relationship.”. As Regnerus noted, the majority of the individuals characterized by him as children of “lesbian mothers” and “gay fathers” were the offspring of failed opposite- sex unions whose parent subsequently had a same-sex relationship. In other words, Regnerus did not study or analyze the children of two same-sex parents.
Second, when the Regnerus study compared the children of parents who at one point had a “same-sex romantic relationship,” most of whom had experienced a family dissolution or single motherhood, to children raised by two biological, married opposite-sex parents, the study stripped away all divorced, single, and stepparent families from the opposite-sex group, leaving only stable, married, opposite-sex families as the comparison... Thus, it was hardly surprising that the opposite-sex group had better outcomes given that stability is a key predictor of positive child wellbeing. By so doing, the Regnerus study makes inappropriate apples-to-oranges comparisons.

Third, Regnerus’s first published analysis of his research data failed to consider whether the children lived with, or were raised by, the parent who was, at some point, apparently involved in “a romantic relationship with someone of the same sex” and that same-sex partner. Instead, Regnerus categorized children as raised by a parent in a same-sex romantic relationship regardless of whether they were in fact raised by the parent and the parent’s same-sex romantic partner and regardless of the amount of time that they spent under the parent’s care. As a result, so long as an adult child believed that he or she had had a parent who had a relationship with someone of the same sex, then he or she was counted by Regnerus as having been “raised by” a parent in a same-sex relationship.
Fourth, in contrast to every other study on same-sex parenting, Regnerus identified parents who had purportedly engaged in a same-sex romantic relationship based solely on the child’s own retrospective report of the parent’s romantic relationships, made once the child was an adult. This unusual measurement strategy ignored the fact that the child may have limited and inaccurate recollections of the parents’ distant romantic past.
Finally, the study fails to account for the fact that the negative outcomes may have been caused by other childhood events or events later in the individual’s adult life, particularly given that the vast majority (thirty-seven of forty) of the outcomes measured were adult and not childhood outcomes. Factors other than same-sex parenting are likely to explain these negative outcomes in the Regnerus study. Regnerus himself concludes that “I am thus not suggesting that growing up with a lesbian mother or gay father causes suboptimal outcomes because of the sexual orientation or sexual behavior of the parent.”
In sum, by conflating (1) children raised by same-sex parents with (2) individuals who reportedly had a parent who had “a romantic relationship with someone of the same sex,” and referring to such individuals as children of “lesbian mothers” or “gay fathers,” the Regnerus study obscures the fact that it did not specifically examine children raised by two same-sex parents. Accordingly, it cannot speak to the impact of same-sex parenting on child outcomes.”

http://pamshouseblend.firedoglake.com/2013/03...
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#6479 Mar 1, 2013
Hill wrote:
01, Imagination is great, but when it comes to understanding the Universe, I believe in hardware. Are you asking 'how' that particle came into existence or 'why'? How it came into existence is fairly well understood (by science)...'why' is in the province of your imagination.

02. It's becoming clear that godbots kind of blow off the 'how'... god did it ... and write volumes trying to give some kind of meaning to it all. Whereas Atheists (in the guise of scientists) fill libraries with the 'how' and blow off the 'why'... it just is.

03. The point I'm struggling to make is that there is no meaning, reason or 'why' to it. Humans fill that void with such things as nationalism, patriotism, egotism and religion. Under flags and banners and holy books we'll lend it all a grim (if temporary) reality with our wars, jihads and crusades.

What a game. What a waste!
Ans.

01. Why you think asking :"why" is not important? "Why" is as important as "How".

It is only people who try to get "superficial knowledge" that they ask about "how"….those who want real knowledge they start asking "why"?

Why this universe and everything in it is created? Why am I created as human? Why should I be responsible for my actions?

02. God did not stop you finding out "how" things are working…..but you should not forget your main duty "What is your purpose of your life"?

If you fail to work on that, then it would be that your spent all your life on preparing for a Math exam and the paper was about Social Sciences? What marks will you get in exam of your life?

Zero or Below Zero? Zero is for doing nothing, below Zero is asking other people also to do nothing!!

03. As I said only a "Dumb" man will say there is no "why" in this universe.

Have you seen any thing that any human made at any age where the question "why" was not involved?

Do you think this Universe is just a doodle game, an idle sport and mere plaything?

You have no imagination mate, get some from observing nature!!

Texas, USA

#6480 Mar 2, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. Why you think asking :"why" is not important? "Why" is as important as "How".
It is only people who try to get "superficial knowledge" that they ask about "how"….those who want real knowledge they start asking "why"?
Why this universe and everything in it is created? Why am I created as human? Why should I be responsible for my actions?
02. God did not stop you finding out "how" things are working…..but you should not forget your main duty "What is your purpose of your life"?
If you fail to work on that, then it would be that your spent all your life on preparing for a Math exam and the paper was about Social Sciences? What marks will you get in exam of your life?
Zero or Below Zero? Zero is for doing nothing, below Zero is asking other people also to do nothing!!
03. As I said only a "Dumb" man will say there is no "why" in this universe.
Have you seen any thing that any human made at any age where the question "why" was not involved?
Do you think this Universe is just a doodle game, an idle sport and mere plaything?
You have no imagination mate, get some from observing nature!!
1. Philosophy is the "science of why" and has churned out Theists and Atheists and everything in between trying to answer it. The question remains. It is "important" because it has diverted our efforts from more productive pursuits.

2. God does not do much of anything. The purpose of all life is to pass DNA on to future generations. If God were real he'd tell you that.

3. Why I was here was adequately answered for me when I held my first born child. I knew at that moment that I had fulfilled my duty as a Human Being and living organism. All questions of "why" fell away for me. I suppose that if it is some kind of personal immortality you seek, that's just not good enough. I stand in awe of Nature and understanding it is one of my favorite hobbys.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#6481 Mar 2, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Philosophy is the "science of why" and has churned out Theists and Atheists and everything in between trying to answer it. The question remains. It is "important" because it has diverted our efforts from more productive pursuits.
2. God does not do much of anything. The purpose of all life is to pass DNA on to future generations. If God were real he'd tell you that.
3. Why I was here was adequately answered for me when I held my first born child. I knew at that moment that I had fulfilled my duty as a Human Being and living organism. All questions of "why" fell away for me. I suppose that if it is some kind of personal immortality you seek, that's just not good enough. I stand in awe of Nature and understanding it is one of my favorite hobbys.
Personally, I sense there's more beyond this physical existence. Can it be empirically proven? Not that I'm aware of. Is it your belief we came into existence from non existence and return to non existence?

Lexington, KY

#6482 Mar 2, 2013
You have been indoctrinated to believe that. We came from non existence? That is what theists believe because they say their creator didn't have a creator.
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally, I sense there's more beyond this physical existence. Can it be empirically proven? Not that I'm aware of. Is it your belief we came into existence from non existence and return to non existence?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#6483 Mar 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
You have been indoctrinated to believe that. We came from non existence? That is what theists believe because they say their creator didn't have a creator.
<quoted text>
Indoctrination comes in many forms, religion is but one.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#6484 Mar 2, 2013
http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2012...

Impact of Same-Sex Parenting on Children: Evaluating the Research
By Christine Kim June 19, 2012

According to conventional wisdom, research regarding outcomes for children of parents in same-sex relationships shows “no difference.” For example, the American Psychological Association (APA) stated in 2005 that “not a single study has found children of lesbian or gay parents to be disadvantaged in any significant respect relative to children of heterosexual parents.”[1] This conclusion has been cited in the judicial proceedings on the nature of marriage. For example, Judge Vaughn Walker’s decision regarding Proposition 8, California’s constitutional amendment defining marriage, stated:“The research supporting this conclusion is accepted beyond serious debate in the field of developmental psychology.”[2]

However, a number of researchers have pointed out significant methodological problems with the research that would cast doubt on the conclusiveness of the “no difference” findings.[3] Even some researchers supportive of same-sex parenting have acknowledged the significant methodological limitations in the research to date.[4] Examples of the methodological problems are discussed below, as well as a profile of the recently released New Family Structures Study, which has raised the bar on quality of research in this area. Given the magnitude of the policy issues under debate, much more study is needed.

Non-Representative Samples

In order to generalize a set of social scientific evidence to a broader group, the samples upon which the evidence is based should accurately represent the broader group. In a probability sample, every member of the broader group has an equal chance of being selected into the sample, and the selection is random.[5] Non-probability samples, on the other hand, cannot make valid generalizations about the broader group because they do not represent it. These samples “may give us interesting leads, and suggest possible insights, but nothing reliable can be inferred from them outside the individuals studied.”[6]

Convenience Samples

A 2010 article reviewed 44 same-sex parenting studies and noted that only five had probability samples; moreover, only three used a nationally representative sample. However, this same sample used by all three studies contained only 44 children of same-sex parents.[7]

The remaining studies were all based on convenience samples, which are comprised of volunteers recruited through targeted advertisement (e.g., in specific publications), the “snowball” method (when respondents identify additional subjects), and/or an existing group.

Consequently, most of the no-differences findings “describe samples of lesbian families that are disproportionately middle class, White, and highly educated.”[8] For example, a 2012 review of the 59 studies reported in the 2005 APA brief on same-sex parenting “reveals a tendency towards not only non-representative but racially homogeneous samples.”[9] Even studies of donor-inseminated (DI) parenthood “do not know the extent to which the comparatively high socioeconomic status of DI parents studied accurately reflects the demographics of lesbian and gay parenthood generally.”[10]

Moreover, in many studies, even the opposite-sex comparison groups are not representative of their respective populations.[11] Researchers also acknowledge the nearly non-existent research on gay fathers and parents who are bisexual or transgender.[12]

Lexington, KY

#6485 Mar 2, 2013
An you have been indoctrinated to believe superstitious nonsense and worse you have been indoctrinated to believe it's always infallible always correct regardless of the mountains of evidence to the contrary.
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Indoctrination comes in many forms, religion is but one.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#6486 Mar 2, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
[Nothing even remotely related to religion]
Why are you posting that here, mister bigot?
Can't stay on topic?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#6487 Mar 2, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you posting that here, mister bigot?
Can't stay on topic?
Sorry, saw DNF post, and lost my head. Laces out.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#6488 Mar 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
An you have been indoctrinated to believe superstitious nonsense and worse you have been indoctrinated to believe it's always infallible always correct regardless of the mountains of evidence to the contrary.
<quoted text>
You don't know what I have been "indoctrinated" to believe, what I actually believe based on that "indoctrination, not did you acknowledge the statement I made. Indoctrination comes in many forms, religion is but one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 1 hr Little Lord Faunt... 228,350
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... Jul 26 Shizle 40
omens of dead animals (Aug '08) Jul 24 skylar 108
Shadows and sounds Jul 23 Dizy 1
News Looking for a Pagan community in Kentucky? (Mar '12) Jul 4 Pam 11
News What is Asatru? (Dec '10) Jul 3 ex pagan 2
News Sorry Witches, You Won't Be Able to Buy Spells ... Jun '15 Drake_Burrwood 1
More from around the web