Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News24

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Comments (Page 281)

Showing posts 5,601 - 5,620 of14,385
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
They give out Ph.Ds for "common sense"? Did Thomas Paine get one then?
http://www.bartdehrman.com/biography.htm
Biography of Bart D. Ehrman
Bart D. Ehrman is the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He came to UNC in 1988, after four years of teaching at Rutgers University. At UNC he has served as both the Director of Graduate Studies and the Chair of the Department of Religious Studies.
A graduate of Wheaton College (Illinois), Professor Ehrman received both his Masters of Divinity and Ph.D. from Princeton Theological Seminary, where his 1985 doctoral dissertation was awarded magna cum laude. Since then he has published extensively in the fields of New Testament and Early Christianity, having written or edited twenty-four books, numerous scholarly articles, and dozens of book reviews.
Among his most recent books are a Greek-English edition of the Apostolic Fathers for the Loeb Classical Library (Harvard University Press), an assessment of the newly discovered Gospel of Judas (Oxford University Press), and four New York Times Bestsellers: Jesus Interrupted (an account of scholarly views of the New Testament), God’s Problem (an assessment of the biblical views of suffering), Misquoting Jesus (an overview of the changes found in the surviving copies of the New Testament and of the scribes who produced them) and Forged (discusses why some books in the New Testament are deliberate forgeries). His books have been translated into twenty-seven languages.
Among his fields of scholarly expertise are the historical Jesus, the early Christian apocrypha, the apostolic fathers, and the manuscript tradition of the New Testament.
Professor Ehrman has served as President of the Southeast Region of the Society of Biblical literature, chair of the New Testament textual criticism section of the Society, book review editor of the Journal of Biblical Literature, and editor of the monograph series The New Testament in the Greek Fathers (Scholars Press). He currently serves as co-editor of the series New Testament Tools, Studies, and Documents (E. J. Brill), co-editor-in-chief for the journal Vigiliae Christianae, and on several other editorial boards for journals and monographs in the field.
Professor Ehrman lectures extensively throughout the country. Winner of numerous university awards and grants, he is the recipient of the 2009 J. W. Pope “Spirit of Inquiry” Teaching Award, the 1993 UNC Undergraduate Student Teaching Award, the 1994 Phillip and Ruth Hettleman Prize for Artistic and Scholarly Achievement, and the Bowman and Gordon Gray Award for excellence in teaching.
Professor Ehrman has two children, a daughter, Kelly, and a son, Derek. He is married to Sarah Beckwith (Ph.D., King's College London), Marcello Lotti Professor of English at Duke University. He lives in Durham, North Carolina.
Ahhh, you DO know that he is an agnostic now.....don't you?
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

So, what is it about islam that makes muslims so easy to divide?
Is submission really a good thing?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing like WAHABI in Quran, and there is nothing like Shia or Sunni in Islam either.
It is Muslims who have divided themselves into these sects and fighting with each other against the express warnings given by Quran and sayings of our prophet.
Because of that Muslims are harming themselves more than the Non Muslims, Non Muslims are watching and feeling happy and fanning their fights and supply both sides with arms and ammunition and first show their concern for one group and then for another group.
While the reality is that they do not like ANY Muslim, be him a Shia, or a Sunni or a Wahabi, or of any so called sects!!
That is why I deal with Muslims and Non Muslims issues. and not these sects and denominations.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Is submission really a good thing?
<quoted text>
Sometimes.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

I'm not going to be able to sit down for a week, am I?
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>When you are right, you're right, and this time you are right. When it comes to excrement, I defer to your elite education which has provided you with an unsurpassed submersion in all things fecal. What I recognise the smell of, you are literally slathered in. What I step around, you wade off into. What I flush away, forgotten, you roll and frolic in. I don't know shit, but you sure do.
Lol! But Reason Petrified needs adult diapers because at her age she can't control her poop. Problem is, it comes from her back side and her mouth. Lol! Her nickname is Fecal.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not going to be able to sit down for a week, am I?
Wow, I see Bob got you. Well to each their own.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
...It is Muslims who have divided themselves into these sects and fighting with each other ...
True
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
... Non Muslims are watching and feeling happy ..
Nonsense.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
..and first show their concern for one group and then for another group.
It is natural to feel concerned when people are suffering.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
While the reality is that they do not like ANY Muslim, be him a Shia, or a Sunni or a Wahabi, or of any so called sects!!...
It is the sort of Islamist, sectarian dogma such as you express that is objectionable. It is religiously motivated sectarianism, ingnorance, and contempt for education and democracy that need to be challenged.

Relgion = superstition
https://www.google.co.uk/search...
Jumper The Wise

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

<quoted text> Your post >>> Jumper The Wise wrote:
<quoted text>Yea! Just like the 'grade' of horse-meat you guys have been eating. <<<
Did you notice the words "you guys", how about "'grade' of horse-meat", that looks to me like the words stupid and liar are top of the list when it comes to describing you.
Well I do not know your racial background.
Only that idiots come in all colors.
Jumper The Wise

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

<quoted text>Hint? You offer a hint and then completely ditch any point you might have been attempting to make? Ok, so you are back to the vapid hole, and you have managed to get back in without ever getting out.
Hint: A hint would be a clue leading to possibly solving a obscure point. No point, so no need for a hint.
Ah...but I'm still here.And that must tell you that no matter how much you dislike me,that I think you are peachy-king!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhh, you DO know that he is an agnostic now.....don't you?
Yes...I've read several of his books. I was pointing out his credentials, and the fact he believes Jesus was a real person.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Have you coloured them all in yet?
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes...I've read several of his books. I was pointing out his credentials, and the fact he believes Jesus was a real person.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Have you coloured them all in yet?
<quoted text>
Jolly good response mate. Let's head down to the pub and share that with the lads, pints are on you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Till Death Us Do Part?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>True
<quoted text>Nonsense.
<quoted text>It is natural to feel concerned when people are suffering.
<quoted text>It is the sort of Islamist, sectarian dogma such as you express that is objectionable. It is religiously motivated sectarianism, ingnorance, and contempt for education and democracy that need to be challenged.
Relgion = superstition
https://www.google.co.uk/search...
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

A lifelong evangelical only recently self proclaimed agnostic who believes but can't prove and he even admits that. His argument states you have to believe Paul to believe Jesus existed yet that is a horrible argument because Paul never met Jesus!
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Which one?
Enlighten us of Wise Wizard.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:

Enlighten us of Wise Wizard.
First, tell me what difference the degrees I have make.

If an idea and the truth stand on their own merit, they should make no difference at all.

I'll wait for your answer ......

any one have an emery board I can borrow?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
A lifelong evangelical only recently self proclaimed agnostic who believes but can't prove and he even admits that. His argument states you have to believe Paul to believe Jesus existed yet that is a horrible argument because Paul never met Jesus!
<quoted text>
It is an interesting "twist" on the usual Christian scam of claiming to be a "former atheist", but equally ineffective and silly.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Their claims mean nothing it is their proof that is the sum of their argument. And for being a smart dude I can only contend that Bart Ehrman is retreating to his old evangelical roots with his argument that Jesus existed.

Lee Strobel is sad because he admits he converted because his wife gave him an ultimatum, convert or she would leave him!
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
It is an interesting "twist" on the usual Christian scam of claiming to be a "former atheist", but equally ineffective and silly.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
First, tell me what difference the degrees I have make.
If an idea and the truth stand on their own merit, they should make no difference at all.
I'll wait for your answer ......
any one have an emery board I can borrow?
Let's look at this from an academic standpoint as Professor Ehrman does. Now you can argue he is "biased" to beleive, perhaps he is...but the flip side of that is a "bias" not to beleive. He has spent a great deal of his adult life studying, teaching, and writing about early Christianity. It's accurate to say he is an expert in his field. If he, which he has, expresses the belief that Jesus existed, why should anyone not consider the possiblity that he is right? We're not talking about some guy that has a velvet Jesus on the wall of his trailer.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Their claims mean nothing it is their proof that is the sum of their argument. And for being a smart dude I can only contend that Bart Ehrman is retreating to his old evangelical roots with his argument that Jesus existed.
Lee Strobel is sad because he admits he converted because his wife gave him an ultimatum, convert or she would leave him!
<quoted text>
Then Lee made a very poor choice. Probably has never had any say in his own home since then.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 5,601 - 5,620 of14,385
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Search the Pagan/Wiccan Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 30 min bmz 198,787
Pagan High Priest Claims Discrimination by City... 4 hr Jumper The wise 15
Speaking of religion: Pagans stir a fuss in Beebe 8 hr a person 83
Cosmic ordering (Nov '09) 14 hr bren 3
What is Ritual Sex? (Nov '11) Jul 9 CShine 90
Ouija Board... SCARY STUFF! NEED HELP! (Aug '07) Jul 9 CShine 1,015
Need Help - Shadow Person Protector or Harmful? (May '09) Jul 9 Shawn 9
•••
•••