Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,477

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story
Reason

Skelmersdale, UK

#5165 Feb 4, 2013
Back to the original matter of the thread, check out what Christopher Hitchens had to say about religion on youtube. He had some valid and interesting points on religion and it's affects on society.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#5166 Feb 4, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Be sure to swallow like you did with all the truck drivers at the truck stop. That's a good Christhole.
Of course I always swallow like a good little girl. Truck drivers and truck stops? Think you're confusing your nightlife with mine again. Tell me. If an atheist gives a stranger a bj, does he claim the guy doesn't exist the next day? After all, there's no scientific evidence (once he's washed up and properly digested his "snack") to prove it happened. Huh, atheisthole? ;)
DaBroad

Minneapolis, MN

#5167 Feb 4, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. The Jewish historian, Josephus, documented the lives of many Biblical people. As well as more in depth biblical accounts. There's Isaac and Ishmael (the patriarchs of Judaism and Muslim). Both religions can be traced back to them. There's the ruins in Israel itself which support the writings in the Bible. Honestly, i don't really know what you consider to be "credible". Y'all like to get all analytical and super literal about things. I could tell you man can fly (wright brothers), and you might very well dispute the fact seeing as how we don't physically have wings. Ya just never know. No offense. A vast array of documentation does exist. It's authenticity can be validated. It's just a matter of how much "validation" is enough for you. I mean are you like Thomas? Do you need to put your hand into the wound of Jesus in order to believe it's him? Nothing wrong with that, btw. Or are you more like Peter who followed Jesus out onto the water? Nothing wrong with that either. Of course, I use both instances as examples. If you don't believe that any of it happened, then I really don't see how we can discuss it. I'm not being catty. Just honest. We can talk about the weather if you'd like. ;)
By that type of "validation", you must believe that the Egyptian Gods are real, and the Roman Gods, and any deity from any culture that had/has a written language. There are thousands of sacred texts in the world, that tell the stories of gods and men from ancient times to now. Your proof of the Christian sacred text, that it was written and has some real people and places in it, can be used as proof that every one of them is real and true. All involve real places, and probably people that existed at one time or another. That you choose to believe that particular mythos is why it is "real" to you. Personally, I find it to be too politically easy to manipulate. It creates a strong "us vs them" dichotomy that I cannot reconcile with reality.
Here's a little test for you (with sincere apologies to Hindus). Do you think you could ever believe in the Hindu pantheon? What if you were told you MUST believe in it or be damned for all eternity? How about if all your family and friends told you they believed in those gods, and anyone who did not must be immoral? If you were told you might not get hired, or find a place to live, unless you publicly avowed you believed in them? Would you be able to FORCE yourself to believe in those gods?
Belief in any diety - or none at all - cannot be forced. It needs to be reasoned out and accepted or rejected on its merits, by each individual. There is no way - I repeat NO WAY - to verify the existence, or absence, of a deity. It is solely a matter of belief. You believe, you do not know. Knowlege is verifiable, quantifiable, and testable.
Creation stories, by the way, are a dime a dozen. Every culture and tribe had one. If you insist one was real, you'd have to accept all of them.

Location hidden

#5168 Feb 4, 2013
DaBroad wrote:
<quoted text>By that type of "validation", you must believe that the Egyptian Gods are real, and the Roman Gods, and any deity from any culture that had/has a written language. There are thousands of sacred texts in the world, that tell the stories of gods and men from ancient times to now. Your proof of the Christian sacred text, that it was written and has some real people and places in it, can be used as proof that every one of them is real and true. All involve real places, and probably people that existed at one time or another. That you choose to believe that particular mythos is why it is "real" to you. Personally, I find it to be too politically easy to manipulate. It creates a strong "us vs them" dichotomy that I cannot reconcile with reality.
Here's a little test for you (with sincere apologies to Hindus). Do you think you could ever believe in the Hindu pantheon? What if you were told you MUST believe in it or be damned for all eternity? How about if all your family and friends told you they believed in those gods, and anyone who did not must be immoral? If you were told you might not get hired, or find a place to live, unless you publicly avowed you believed in them? Would you be able to FORCE yourself to believe in those gods?
Belief in any diety - or none at all - cannot be forced. It needs to be reasoned out and accepted or rejected on its merits, by each individual. There is no way - I repeat NO WAY - to verify the existence, or absence, of a deity. It is solely a matter of belief. You believe, you do not know. Knowlege is verifiable, quantifiable, and testable.
Creation stories, by the way, are a dime a dozen. Every culture and tribe had one. If you insist one was real, you'd have to accept all of them.
Sure. Whatever you say.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#5169 Feb 4, 2013
Yellowknightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
They also believed that the world was flat.
The christian clergy are not real christians.
1 john 2 : 15 , 16
Do not be loving either the world or the thibgsbin the world. If anyone loves the world the love of the father is not in him.
16 because everything in the world -the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one's means of life - does not originate with the father, but orginates with the world.
1 john 5:19 " we know we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one".
all true christians are suppose to do is go door to door like jesus did and tell people about the prophecies in the bible.
they are not suppose to meddlingin govermentbor human affairs.
nor are they suppose to be judging eachother.
true christians are suppose to be peaceful and not be involved in worldly affairs.
The first century christians didnt celebrate holidays nor did they participate goverment affairs.
And there it is again. Christians who are supposed to love each other and leave judgements to their God, are judging one another again.

What a bunch of lying hypocrites!

#5170 Feb 4, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I always swallow like a good little girl. Truck drivers and truck stops? Think you're confusing your nightlife with mine again. Tell me. If an atheist gives a stranger a bj, does he claim the guy doesn't exist the next day? After all, there's no scientific evidence (once he's washed up and properly digested his "snack") to prove it happened. Huh, atheisthole? ;)
So then Christians give their "Jesus" a bj? That's why they claim he exists the next day even though no one can see him? How does that work exactly?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#5171 Feb 4, 2013
trekx wrote:
Lets hope that Atheism Will Replace Religion because it is the only way we will ever have world peace.
Its time for the world to grow up and put away the superstitious non since and live in reality. The 14th century is over its the 21st century now, time to act like it ...
Really? Oh shoooooooor....and without religion man will have no reason to kill his fellow man.....because atheists are all enlightened reason individuals. Uh huh.....lack of faith in a deity, or the supernatural, does not automatically make a person peaceful.

Location hidden

#5172 Feb 4, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>So then Christians give their "Jesus" a bj? That's why they claim he exists the next day even though no one can see him? How does that work exactly?
Hey. Service is service. Prayer is done on my knees. It's words are given life by my lips. It is done out of love. Much like what I do for my husband. Only in the case of Jesus, no sexual significance is required as he is spirit. Yet the act thereof is just as intimate. Not vile or disgusting. Just an intimate expression of love.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#5173 Feb 4, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Oh shoooooooor....and without religion man will have no reason to kill his fellow man.....because atheists are all enlightened reason individuals. Uh huh.....lack of faith in a deity, or the supernatural, does not automatically make a person peaceful.
You have misread what he wrote. That isn't what he claimed.

He simply pointed out that religion is divisive and a major cause of conflict,(I would site Zionism and Islamism). Being free of religion and superstition will not, of itself, lead to peace. Ending religion (& superstitions in general) is something of a prerequisite, not a solution in itself.

If one person believes in an invisible friend,(s)he is crazy.
If many people believe in an invisible friend, it is religion.

#5174 Feb 4, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey. Service is service. Prayer is done on my knees. It's words are given life by my lips. It is done out of love. Much like what I do for my husband. Only in the case of Jesus, no sexual significance is required as he is spirit. Yet the act thereof is just as intimate. Not vile or disgusting. Just an intimate expression of love.
A holy bj?

#5175 Feb 4, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you have a muslim to blow up or something?

Location hidden

#5176 Feb 4, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>A holy bj?
As indicated before, no sexual contact is required as he is spirit. The only need for physical contact in my relationship with my husband in the first place is to show my affection. That's no longer needed in an intimate relationship with spirit. Nevertheless service is service. One is primal, utterly human, and physical. The other is spiritual and not at all physical. Both are equally intimate.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#5177 Feb 4, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>What lie? This is what you were talking about 200 grains of lead.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Air_Venturi_50_...

Just don't act on your religious born shooting spree dream. Interesting how all the threatening posters on here are Christians. Hmmm.
ROFLMAO!

Location hidden

#5178 Feb 4, 2013
trekx wrote:
Lets hope that Atheism Will Replace Religion because it is the only way we will ever have world peace.

Its time for the world to grow up and put away the superstitious non since and live in reality. The 14th century is over its the 21st century now, time to act like it ...
MythBusters: Without Religion there would be no War
Posted by Justin Ferriman
Christian Commentary

I can’t count the number of times I have heard this ‘argument’ on the internet from amateur atheists. Naturally, the more seasoned of us know that this is simply not true, but it seems to be a staple in atheistland that the newcomers love to recite.

I am not naive to the fact that religion is probably the reason most used to justify conflicts, but I strongly refute the idea that a warless world is only obtainable through the elimination of religion (human nature won’t allow it). I was looking around the internet for different wars that aren’t religiously driven to back my claim and I stumbled upon someones post in a forum. I don’t know who the author is, but it sums out my viewpoints on the matter pretty thoroughly. Enjoy

Much is said, today, on the issue of religious wars. Without question, religion has been (if only superficially) the banner of countless wars throughout history. Lists are often compiled, naming various instances of religious war (as, for example, this list).

One might reasonably ask, however, whether or not there is a corresponding list of non-religious wars. After all, if religion is really good for nothing but “starting wars,” then surely its elimination would do away with, or at least considerably diminish, the perpetuation of warfare across the globe.

Jack Perry has presented one such list of non-religious wars, as follows:

1.) The Seven Years’ War (Britain & France)
2.)The American Revolution
3.)The French Revolution
4.)The Napoleonic Wars (France & Europe)
5.)The Revolutions in the Americas
6.)The Wars to create and preserve the British Empire (Boer War, Irish Revolution, and the Great Game with Russia would all be examples)
7.)The American Civil War
8.)The Crimean War
9.)The Spanish-American War
10.)The Great War, The War to End All Wars, or World War I (whatever you want to call it)
11.)The Italian invasion of Ethiopia
12.)The Spanish Civil War
13.)Stalin’s invasions of Finland, the Baltic states, and Poland
14.)World War II
15.)The Chinese Revolution
16.)The Cold War, including but not limited to the Korean War, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Vietnam War, the American intervention in Grenada, and the Soviet campaign in Afghanistan
17.)The Cultural Revolution in China (If you don’t want to call this a war I’ll concede it)
18.)Pol Pot’s Khmer Rouge Revolution
19.)The Falklands War
20.)The Persian Gulf War between Iran & Iraq
21.)The Persian Gulf War between the United Nations and Iraq
The Breakup of Yugoslavia (beginning with Slovenia).

http://de-conversion.com/2008/08/01/mythbuste...
Barry O

United States

#5179 Feb 4, 2013
Doubtful. Religion is big business, just like auto makers and oil companies. Lack of belief produces no commodities, like bibles, torahs, and korans. Also no action figures or symbols. Plus religion helps fuel wars, which help sell weapons.

Location hidden

#5180 Feb 4, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>A holy bj?
Urban Dictionary

Ooogah Boogah

Butt sex
As in death by Ooogah Boogah

Location hidden

#5181 Feb 4, 2013
Barry O wrote:
Doubtful. Religion is big business, just like auto makers and oil companies. Lack of belief produces no commodities, like bibles, torahs, and korans. Also no action figures or symbols. Plus religion helps fuel wars, which help sell weapons.
Christian Commentary

I can’t count the number of times I have heard this ‘argument’ on the internet from amateur atheists. Naturally, the more seasoned of us know that this is simply not true, but it seems to be a staple in atheistland that the newcomers love to recite.

I am not naive to the fact that religion is probably the reason most used to justify conflicts, but I strongly refute the idea that a warless world is only obtainable through the elimination of religion (human nature won’t allow it). I was looking around the internet for different wars that aren’t religiously driven to back my claim and I stumbled upon someones post in a forum. I don’t know who the author is, but it sums out my viewpoints on the matter pretty thoroughly. Enjoy

Much is said, today, on the issue of religious wars. Without question, religion has been (if only superficially) the banner of countless wars throughout history. Lists are often compiled, naming various instances of religious war (as, for example, this list).

One might reasonably ask, however, whether or not there is a corresponding list of non-religious wars. After all, if religion is really good for nothing but “starting wars,” then surely its elimination would do away with, or at least considerably diminish, the perpetuation of warfare across the globe.

3.)The French Revolution
6.)The Wars to create and preserve the British Empire (Boer War, Irish Revolution, and the Great Game with Russia would all be examples)
8.)The Crimean War
10.)The Great War, The War to End All Wars, or World War I (whatever you want to call it)
14.)World War II
16.)The Cold War, including but not limited to the Korean War, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Vietnam War, the American intervention in Grenada, and the Soviet campaign in Afghanistan
17.)The Cultural Revolution in China (If you don’t want to call this a war I’ll concede it)
19.)The Falklands War

Barry O

United States

#5182 Feb 4, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Christian Commentary
3.)The French Revolution
8.)The Crimean War
14.)World War II
19.)The Falklands War
That's a good list, but some on the list had elements of religion in the reasons for war or to rally citizens. But there have been many wars fought over religion. Just a couple for examples: Muslim expansion across north Africa and into Southern Europe. Christian crusades. America's expansion across the continent all in the belief that God intended it. Disagree with breakup of Yugoslavia listed above- Christian Serbians and Croats regularly targeted ethnic Muslims. Irish revolution- lets look at Northern Ireland and the fighting between Catholics and Protestants.
Also look at Europe's Thrity Year war- which was fought between Catholics and Protestants- resulting in 8 million dead. Look at 9/11 and the resulting Afghan invasion- started by Osama Bin Laden and his belief in strict Wahabism. During the Cold War Americans would regularly refer to Communist as God less heathen. So to say religion does not influence or is not responsible for wars is just outright wrong. Hell, I didn't even go back to King David or even Moses. Religion sells.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#5183 Feb 4, 2013
I figured you would, gulping spunk for Christ.
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I always swallow like a good little girl at the Truck drivers and truck stops! ;)

Since: Mar 11

United States

#5184 Feb 4, 2013
You were made to swallow spunk as a little girl!?!?!?? Your male family members or preacher? Both?
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 19 min bmz 207,590
The Storm Clan (Jun '07) 1 hr Terry Hiltibidal 3
Satanists Unveil Design for Statehouse Statue (Jan '14) Dec 22 thefinestallmoved... 18
torn sash Dec 21 Wanderinsoul 1
Student expelled for casting a spell (Jan '14) Nov '14 Stay6c 6
Is reincarnation real?? (Feb '11) Nov '14 holysupremacy 70
Looking to correspond with Pagan's Nov '14 GordonM 1
More from around the web