Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News24

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.
Comments
4,761 - 4,780 of 14,385 Comments Last updated Nov 23, 2013

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#4955 Feb 1, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
The only person of the Bible (that I know of) that was independantly known to exist was Pontius Pilate. His name was found on some very old Roman records as a government official.
Do you know of others?

Tiglath Pileser is mentioned in 1+2 Chronicles and is known from independent Assyrian sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiglath-Pileser_...

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#4956 Feb 1, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Josephus was born AFTER the supposed Biblical events. He could not have written first hand accounts of them. The best he could have done is to record the oral legends of the time (hearsay). You've still got nothing.
We lost of LOT of information when the Library of Alexandria was destroyed. Unfortunately, most of the historians we have of the ancient world wrote centuries after the events they describe. For example, we have reports of people writing about Alexander the Great during his lifetime, but the earliest writer we *have* is from a couple centuries later. This is typical of ancient sources.

Almost no ancient historian held a firm line between legend and fact, though. Histories were often written as morality lessons for the young or as propaganda for the reigning power or for some political persona (Julius Caesar's writings were almost pure propaganda).

Josephus was not working solely from oral traditions. The Jewish people were literate and did record many events of their time. So Josephus was (often, not always) working from sources from the time he was writing about. He certainly was for the writings about later events.

For the most part, Josephus is considered a reliable historian, certainly better than, say, Herodotus. But like all ancient historians, he wrote for a political purpose and we have to understand his biases, distortions, and purpose in writing. We also have to understand that we don't have any *originals* of his writings, which means we often have to consider the biases of those who transcripted to give us the manuscripts we have today. In particular, the passages on Jesus are almost certainly later additions and not written by Josephus at all.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#4957 Feb 1, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I already addressed my opinion on the nonentity/burden of proof thingy. I'm really over it. It's boring and dull. I believe God is real. You don't have to. You are a free human being. I can respect you even if we don't see eye to eye. Keep your misguided anger off my doorstep, and we're cool. Quite frankly, I'm not the cause of it. I'd love to hear more about your pink unicorn you got out in the backyard.
I'm really not gonna go there again. I'm officially over it. It's monotonous.
Translation: I refuse to modify my definitions of beliefs, so I'll run away now.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#4958 Feb 1, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
She's much too busy reading the Bible to bother with Hermann Hesse or Irving Stone..........
She comes off as the type that only reads the parts that are highlighted. The vast majority of the religious people I know (mostly Christians) have never even opened their Bibles aside from opening the cover to fill out family info. That's the funny thing about Christians... every one of them has a Bible... so very few have ever actually read it.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#4959 Feb 1, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>She comes off as the type that only reads the parts that are highlighted. The vast majority of the religious people I know (mostly Christians) have never even opened their Bibles aside from opening the cover to fill out family info. That's the funny thing about Christians... every one of them has a Bible... so very few have ever actually read it.
Maybe they know whats in it, but chose to ignore it, cause they dont really believe it, just pay lip service?

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#4960 Feb 1, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>She comes off as the type that only reads the parts that are highlighted. The vast majority of the religious people I know (mostly Christians) have never even opened their Bibles aside from opening the cover to fill out family info. That's the funny thing about Christians... every one of them has a Bible... so very few have ever actually read it.
I used to be involved in Christianity, the church, bible studies, etc., but the more I read and listened, the more I disbelieved. I'm not knockng Christianity; I just don't believe believe all of its teachings.

Location hidden

#4961 Feb 1, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe they know whats in it, but chose to ignore it, cause they dont really believe it, just pay lip service?
I'm of the opinion (based on what I've seen over the years) that if there was no perceived threat of repercussions from family, friends, and community over one declaring that they really don't believe and are only pay lip-service because of tradition and family expectations... churches would be a whole lot emptier a whole lot sooner.

Location hidden

#4962 Feb 1, 2013
Jupiter wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to be involved in Christianity, the church, bible studies, etc., but the more I read and listened, the more I disbelieved. I'm not knockng Christianity; I just don't believe believe all of its teachings.
The teachings that are morally relevant to society as a whole are not unique to the Bible and predate it by millennia
bobobobobob

Springfield, MA

#4963 Feb 1, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
People pray when they don't understand the world, and when they are fearful of it for lack of control.
A partial list of reasons for why atheism does better in first world countries than third world countries drawn from the links in footnote 1 include:
First world citizens are better educated, more intelligent, have better access to information and the media, are healthier, more urbanized, and are more socially and economically secure, all of which undermine religiosity by increasing ones sense of understanding, safety, independence and control.
As an example, from http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human... :
Highly religious countries (Barber, 2012):
•Are poorer.
•They are less urbanized.
•Have lower levels of education.
•They have less exposure to electronic media that increase intelligence (Barber, 2006).
•Experience a heavier load of infectious diseases that impair brain function.
•Suffer more from low birth weights.
Have worse child nutrition.
Do a poor job of controlling environmental pollutants such as lead that reduce IQ.
so highly religious countries are poorer lololol so america i guess is not number 1, also you think the world is bad if atheism takes over which i doubt very highly you will have more poor people starving for the fact no one will donate to them loloolololol are death of children will be enormus, lololololol ect ect ect, here in america all churches are pretty much open to everyone if they are gone you will have more homeless ect ect ect ect religion keeps more of the world safe lololololol gives people alot more compassion, without that the world will suffer lololololol

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#4964 Feb 1, 2013
bobobobobob wrote:
<quoted text>so highly religious countries are poorer lololol so america i guess is not number 1, also you think the world is bad if atheism takes over which i doubt very highly you will have more poor people starving for the fact no one will donate to them loloolololol are death of children will be enormus, lololololol ect ect ect, here in america all churches are pretty much open to everyone if they are gone you will have more homeless ect ect ect ect religion keeps more of the world safe lololololol gives people alot more compassion, without that the world will suffer lololololol
Atheists have morals and also donate to charities. Bill Gates, an atheist has given more to causes than any group on the planet.

You are ignorant of atheism and don't understand what was being said.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#4965 Feb 1, 2013
its etc, an abbreviation of et cetera
bobobobobob

Springfield, MA

#4966 Feb 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists have morals and also donate to charities. Bill Gates, an atheist has given more to causes than any group on the planet.
You are ignorant of atheism and don't understand what was being said.
lololololll sry maby im missing something but bill gates 1s 1 out of the over 300million americans which most beoieve in a god or religion, esp all the illegals that come into this country, which that is another story and you are very wrong in the number of people who donate and were the most money comes from, bill gates doesnt even make a dent to what religion has donated, the catholic church alone has way more money then bill gates

Since: Mar 11

United States

#4967 Feb 1, 2013
Indeed the Jesus line in his work is certainly a forgery and even some apologetics after looking at the proof are coming to realize this.

They just ask how much of a forgery is it!

Lmfao!
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
We lost of LOT of information when the Library of Alexandria was destroyed. Unfortunately, most of the historians we have of the ancient world wrote centuries after the events they describe. For example, we have reports of people writing about Alexander the Great during his lifetime, but the earliest writer we *have* is from a couple centuries later. This is typical of ancient sources.
Almost no ancient historian held a firm line between legend and fact, though. Histories were often written as morality lessons for the young or as propaganda for the reigning power or for some political persona (Julius Caesar's writings were almost pure propaganda).
Josephus was not working solely from oral traditions. The Jewish people were literate and did record many events of their time. So Josephus was (often, not always) working from sources from the time he was writing about. He certainly was for the writings about later events.
For the most part, Josephus is considered a reliable historian, certainly better than, say, Herodotus. But like all ancient historians, he wrote for a political purpose and we have to understand his biases, distortions, and purpose in writing. We also have to understand that we don't have any *originals* of his writings, which means we often have to consider the biases of those who transcripted to give us the manuscripts we have today. In particular, the passages on Jesus are almost certainly later additions and not written by Josephus at all.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#4969 Feb 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>No christian has ever demanded that the bible be corrected for its false words against athiests.

So we should expect all believers to take responsibility for their beliefs, including all the beliefs printed in black and white in their books.

Christians just claim to be polite - its all a show for selfish gain ultimately.

In your food you all blindly think that atheists are fools and abominable people.

But not a single theist has stood up and challenges this baseless hatred in your bible.
I'm making no such assumption. I'm simply accepting you as you are. What is this baseless hatred toward atheists that you're referring to? The only passage I can recall even remotely associated with atheists is "The fool says in his heart there is no God." Are you basing your statement off of the Bible's view of unbelievers? Islam has the same exact view of infidels. Judaism has the same exact view of gentiles. Why are you not lashing out at them? Also, as a Christian I follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. Not the Romanized interpretation thereof. Or paulianity for that matter. I don't claim a denomination. Jesus taught love, hope, and the offer of salvation to those who choose to believe. I'm kind of confused as to exactly what you're trying to say. You can make whatever assumptions you want as to the nature of my character. But to place all Christians in one great big pile together is as illogical as me assuming that all atheists are Aholes based solely upon the crap encounters I've had with a select few. It's a false generalization as all humans are individually unique. Irregardless of their religious affiliations. Honestly, I think your anger is misplaced. Perhaps you should try addressing me as an individual instead of blaming me for the actions of others. Where's the logic in that?

Location hidden

#4970 Feb 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong, when facts demonstrate something could not have happened, and evidence proves it, we can call it exactly what it is - a false cult which lies to its followers about the nature of the universe.

In the real world, nobody has respect for liars.
Again with the insults. Which, as we know, are the lowest form of dialogue. Religious belief cannot be analyzed under a microscope. The fact remains that you cannot prove that God doesn't exist. Thus I'm not a liar. I simply have different beliefs than you. Nothing wrong with that. Simply part of being human. I think the real question is why do you feel the need to get angry at the fact that I don't believe in the same way as you? That's just illogical.

Location hidden

#4971 Feb 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Religion has less power every year.
Witches rarely get burned to death by religitards these days.
Lol Religitards? I love it! Aye. We do live in a very modern age. I'm glad to see it too. Lord knows we've all fought like hell to get here. Which kinda brings me to my point of equality. Each human being has the freedom to believe in any manner they choose without being condemned for having said beliefs. I am happy religion has less power every year. Religion is not faith. Religion is man-made and constricting. Oftentimes it has very little to do with God.

Location hidden

#4972 Feb 1, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>Belief systems of the past, pagan mythologies are myths. We all agree on that. Stories of Muhammed, his night flight to heaven, is a myth. We can agree. 000s of gods and supernatural beings, fairies, goblins, elves, etc. are all myths. We all agree. Shape shifting reptiles, UFOs humping prehistoric man, these are myths if you are a sane person.

It is obvious to all of us. These are myths. But we cannot question the beliefs of the "holy" bible cause it might upset people.

Personally I think its operating a double standard.
No double standard here, friend. Question all you want. After all, how are we supposed to get answers if we don't ask questions. Kindly refrain from judging me as an individual for formulating my own opinion seeing as how I don't do that to you, however. Religious beliefs cannot be analyzed under a microscope. The fact remains that you cannot prove that God (or whatever name other religious groups use for him) doesn't exist. Each of us are entitled to our own beliefs, and believing in God just so happens to be mine.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#4973 Feb 1, 2013
Why do you as a believer come to the atheism forum. Oh and just because you are not a catholic doesn't make you any less deluded. The onus is on the person making the claim that something exists not the people who wisely say not buying it.

By that reasoning the crazy man on the corner screaming that he saw a demonic army gathering to storm the city must be taken seriously. Would you take his delusion as serious? If not your argument has fallen apart. You like him are free to live in your delusional world but the rest of us will just walk by and chuckle at both of you.
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Again with the insults. Which, as we know, are the lowest form of dialogue. Religious belief cannot be analyzed under a microscope. The fact remains that you cannot prove that God doesn't exist. Thus I'm not a liar. I simply have different beliefs than you. Nothing wrong with that. Simply part of being human. I think the real question is why do you feel the need to get angry at the fact that I don't believe in the same way as you? That's just illogical.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#4974 Feb 1, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
You're so confused.
Repeat after me
There is evidence for God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
There is no proof of God
Really? What evidence? What proof?

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#4975 Feb 1, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Them don't.
Were is the evidence for spontaneous life?
Them don't? Who do?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 16 min JOEL 201,310
SHADOW PEOPLE... i need help (May '07) Aug 25 Only1Likeme212 347
Speaking of religion: Pagans stir a fuss in Beebe Aug 25 Ernie 117
Pagan community northern kentucky? (Nov '12) Aug 25 scorpion123 27
Reagan appointee sides with Wiccans: NM town mu... Aug 20 Kathwynn 5
Looking for a Pagan community in Kentucky? (Mar '12) Aug 13 Lady shay 8
Satanists Unveil Design for Statehouse Statue (Jan '14) Aug 9 Kathwynn 11
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••