Folklore bits
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
ministertominyaw ns411

United States

#1 Aug 9, 2007
red sky at morning, sailors take warning. salt over shoulder that sort of stuf. remember any ?

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#2 Aug 9, 2007
ministertominyawns411 wrote:
red sky at morning, sailors take warning. salt over shoulder that sort of stuf. remember any ?
Good thread, I hope this fills up, I love folklore.

Red sky at night, shepherds delight.

“I am who I am, deal with it.”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3 Aug 9, 2007
Hehe here's an odd one for dealing with Coral snakes and their counterparts. Lets just hope that you figure out which is which before they bite you :)

Red meets yellow, he's a friendly fellow, black meets red you're dead.

“Shadows and Tesseracts”

Since: Aug 07

Abilene, TX

#4 Aug 10, 2007
Anwaset:

Uh Oh. We all need to do some research (probably on wikipedia, if nothing else);

I always heard:
'Red and Black, venom lack, Red and Yellow, kill a fellow!'

“Shadows and Tesseracts”

Since: Aug 07

Abilene, TX

#5 Aug 10, 2007
Okay; copied and pasted from wikipedia:

Coral snakes are most notable for their red, yellow, and black colored banding. Several nonvenomous species have similar coloration, however, including the Scarlet Kingsnake and the Milk Snake. In some regions, the order of the bands distinguishes between the non-venomous mimics and the venomous coral snakes, inspiring some folk rhymes — Red touching yellow kills a fellow; Red touching black is a friend of Jack, Red on yellow, kill a fellow; Red on black, venom lack, Red and yellow, kill a fellow; Red and black, poison lack, or "Red touches black, you're ok Jack; Red touches yellow, you're a dead fellow.". However, this only applies to Micrurus fulvius and Micrurus tener, found in the south and eastern United States. Coral snakes found in other parts of the world can have distinctly different patterns, and can even have red bands touching black bands, have only red and black banding, or have no banding at all.

Bottom line - don't bother examining the pattern JustGetTheHellOutaThere!
hehehe

Location hidden

#6 Aug 10, 2007
Im soooooo glad we dont have too many snakes here in UK, just a few vipers but only county folk see those and that aint often, easy to identify as they have a V on their necks,lol.

“Perceptive Reality: I AM REAL”

Since: Jan 07

Tullahoma, TN

#7 Aug 10, 2007
JeffBTX wrote:
Bottom line - don't bother examining the pattern JustGetTheHellOutaThere!
hehehe
lol, no kiddin. seriously, who's gonna stop to examine the pattern on a snake that they stumble upon? "Dur, I dunno, is that red touching the...OW!! Ahh....shit"
ministertominyaw ns411

United States

#8 Aug 12, 2007
ha nice rhyme sounds bad a**. I haven't ever heard this. thanks
JeffBTX wrote:
Anwaset:
Uh Oh. We all need to do some research (probably on wikipedia, if nothing else);
I always heard:
'Red and Black, venom lack, Red and Yellow, kill a fellow!'
ministertominyaw ns411

United States

#9 Aug 12, 2007
According to ancient folklore, parsley only flourishes in gardens where the mistress of the house is actually the "master." But this may be silly one.
ministertominyaw ns411

United States

#10 Aug 12, 2007
Amber is an amulet:--a piece of red amber worn about one, is a preservative against poisons and the pestilence.
ministertominyaw ns411

United States

#11 Aug 12, 2007
Don't ever start a journey on a Thursday.

“May The Light Guide You!!!”

Small Town Manitoba

#12 Aug 12, 2007
Smoke from your local healing/spiritual plant (here it is sweetgrass, sage and cedar) can cleanse and/or remove the essense left by an arguement or ill feelings.

bloodyvisigoths

Since: Apr 07

Courtland, CA

#13 Aug 12, 2007
Darhahk wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, no kiddin. seriously, who's gonna stop to examine the pattern on a snake that they stumble upon? "Dur, I dunno, is that red touching the...OW!! Ahh....shit"
Or the one that crawls into one's sleeping bag?
ministertominyaw ns411

United States

#14 Aug 12, 2007
some silly serpent ones: A snake is afraid of a naked man, but pursues one clothed. Nothing is so much an enemy to snakes as crabs.
ministertominyaw ns411

United States

#15 Aug 12, 2007
"A lizard is of a contrary nature to a scorpion, and induces great terror to the scorpion with its very sight, and they are therefore killed with the oil of them; which oil will likewise cure the wounds made by scorpions. There is a great enmity between scorpions and mice; therefore if a mouse be applied to the bite of a scorpion, he cures it". source: "The Magus, Book of Of Antipathies"
ministertominyaw ns411

United States

#16 Aug 12, 2007
bovines: A bull gets tamed by being tied to fig tree.
ministertominyaw ns411

United States

#17 Aug 12, 2007
A toad hates man more than anything. That toads not frogs. According to legend There are toads which have gemstones within their skulls which. Such toads live at the bottom of wells and grant wishes. Another alchemy one: "If a duck be dried into powder, and put into water, frogs are soon generated; but if he be baked in a pie, and cut into pieces, and be put in a moist place under ground, toads are generated."I
ministertominyaw ns411

United States

#18 Aug 12, 2007
Bears are naturally scared of a horse skin drum.
ministertominyaw ns411

United States

#19 Aug 12, 2007
Of the herb garden-basil, bruised, and put between two stones, are generated scorpions.
ministertominyaw ns411

United States

#20 Aug 12, 2007
If a spider lands on your clothes it is considered good luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Jul 18 John 4,952
News Harrogate mother says foster families are relig... (Nov '15) Jul 16 aunt jamama 53
Do you know where you will spend eternity? Jul 14 JacquelineDeane55 1
News Woman Explains Why She Kept 100 Dead Cats in He... (Jun '10) Jul 8 Zipp 3
News Athiest tells high schoolers God is evil (May '11) Jul 7 unserve satan 8199 844
Midnight Man Madness Jun 30 just sayin 3
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) May '17 yehoshooah adam 256,309
More from around the web