The Black Castle

Posted in the Pagan/Wiccan Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of174
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Here's Lookin' At You, Kid”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Dec 17, 2011
 

Judged:

3

2

1

This is a hangout for the refugees from that "Top Stories" thread of "Prove there's a god," which has turned into a really, really ugly slugfest, thanks to an invasion of christian fundamentalists. Hopefully, this will be a much more mellow place where people can actually kick back, relax, and share views on whatever subject might happen to pop up.

And, hopefully, there won't be any more flame wars.

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Dec 18, 2011
 
I was wondering where the Top Stories Forum went. It just disappeared. That forum was so toxic that about all posters wanted to do was flame each other.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 18, 2011
 
.. hi ya, Kaitlin. Flame wars are toxic. Hopefully, this forum will be a pleasant experience ..

“I'm not Religious ”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Dec 18, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. hi ya, Kaitlin. Flame wars are toxic. Hopefully, this forum will be a pleasant experience ..
is there room for one more?

“Pepsi is better than coke”

Since: Mar 11

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Dec 18, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

One of the discussions I was trying to have on the other thread was "what is the nature of faith?" but couldn't quite get it started, since the fundamentalists only used that to preach and the atheists didn't seem interested.

I think everyone knows I'm take an extreme position as an atheist and so I'd interpret faith through the phenomenological - that of "being in the body." I see it as a way of connecting with the world around us in a non-mundane way and as a way of mobilizing bodily resources that can only be indirectly accessed by the cognitive part of us. These bodily resources would include the immune system, biofeedback, etc.

Yet, clearly faith has a deep impact on people. Would anyone care to give it a go?

“Here's Lookin' At You, Kid”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Dec 18, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>is there room for one more?
Always!

(*...i'm gonna have to get a bigger hot tub...*)

“Here's Lookin' At You, Kid”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Dec 18, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

Hidingfromyou wrote:
One of the discussions I was trying to have on the other thread was "what is the nature of faith?" but couldn't quite get it started, since the fundamentalists only used that to preach and the atheists didn't seem interested.
I think everyone knows I'm take an extreme position as an atheist and so I'd interpret faith through the phenomenological - that of "being in the body." I see it as a way of connecting with the world around us in a non-mundane way and as a way of mobilizing bodily resources that can only be indirectly accessed by the cognitive part of us. These bodily resources would include the immune system, biofeedback, etc.
Yet, clearly faith has a deep impact on people. Would anyone care to give it a go?
I see two kinds of faith; reasonable and unreasonable. Reasonable faith is, "My car *will* start in this rainy Costco parking lot." "I *will* wake up tomorrow, despite all the wine I drank tonight." "My friend Jordan *will* get me out of this mess."

Unreasonable faith: "God *will* take away my tumor." "God *will* cure that child's leukemia." "God won't let my hand burn if I pick up this hot coal."

I have no argument with people's faith in God; what bugs me is when they tell me their faith is fact, and they refuse to be reasoned with any further.

“Here's Lookin' At You, Kid”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 18, 2011
 
NM Desert Rat wrote:
I was wondering where the Top Stories Forum went. It just disappeared. That forum was so toxic that about all posters wanted to do was flame each other.
I have it on my tracker; it's still there.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Dec 18, 2011
 
Howdy.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Dec 18, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Hidingfromyou wrote:
One of the discussions I was trying to have on the other thread was "what is the nature of faith?
.. you are the nature of faith, the decisive element. It is your approach to life that creates the climate for faith ..

“Here's Lookin' At You, Kid”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Dec 18, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

The "Prove there's a god" thread is turning into Chunky/XENAXENAXENA/Nanoanomal ly's personal little shitfest.

“Here's Lookin' At You, Kid”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Dec 18, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

Tide with Beach wrote:
Howdy.
HI!!

The Tide is in!

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Dec 18, 2011
 
La Strega Kaitlin wrote:
The "Prove there's a god" thread is turning into Chunky/XENAXENAXENA/Nanoanomal ly's personal little shitfest.
.. Chunky + multiple socks will ruin the PROVE thread as he/she ruined the FUNDAMENTALIST thread. Everyone will become tired of the constant attacks and leave. Unfortunately, he/she will also find this forum. It's just a matter of time ..

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Dec 18, 2011
 
"Knitting"

All alone in my cottage,
with nary a thing to do,
I often sit in my rocking chair,
and knit a sock or two.

I knit one for my neighbor,
who I've never actually met,
and I knit one for the me that never was,
I call that one Regret.

I knit knight and day,
and even knit inside my dreams,
I often wake up knitting socks,
but it's not as pathetic as it seems.

Knitting is just a hobby,
just something to pass the time,
everyone appreciates my socks,
and I don't charge them a dime.

“Pepsi is better than coke”

Since: Mar 11

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Dec 18, 2011
 
La Strega Kaitlin wrote:
<quoted text>
I see two kinds of faith; reasonable and unreasonable. Reasonable faith is, "My car *will* start in this rainy Costco parking lot." "I *will* wake up tomorrow, despite all the wine I drank tonight." "My friend Jordan *will* get me out of this mess."
Unreasonable faith: "God *will* take away my tumor." "God *will* cure that child's leukemia." "God won't let my hand burn if I pick up this hot coal."
I have no argument with people's faith in God; what bugs me is when they tell me their faith is fact, and they refuse to be reasoned with any further.
Yeah, I totally agree with your descriptions there and also hate the proselytizing.

What about faith in oneself? For eg., I am faced with what I see as an impossible task. If I have faith in my abilities, I can do it with hard work. If not, I will fail (this argument thanks to HL).

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Dec 18, 2011
 
Hidingfromyou wrote:
One of the discussions I was trying to have on the other thread was "what is the nature of faith?" but couldn't quite get it started, since the fundamentalists only used that to preach and the atheists didn't seem interested.
I think everyone knows I'm take an extreme position as an atheist and so I'd interpret faith through the phenomenological - that of "being in the body." I see it as a way of connecting with the world around us in a non-mundane way and as a way of mobilizing bodily resources that can only be indirectly accessed by the cognitive part of us. These bodily resources would include the immune system, biofeedback, etc.
Yet, clearly faith has a deep impact on people. Would anyone care to give it a go?
Do you ever just....dance?

“Here's Lookin' At You, Kid”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Dec 18, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I totally agree with your descriptions there and also hate the proselytizing.
What about faith in oneself? For eg., I am faced with what I see as an impossible task. If I have faith in my abilities, I can do it with hard work. If not, I will fail (this argument thanks to HL).
Agreed. I figger that comes under the "reasonable faith" part.

“I'm not Religious ”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Dec 18, 2011
 
La Strega Kaitlin wrote:
<quoted text>
I see two kinds of faith; reasonable and unreasonable. Reasonable faith is, "My car *will* start in this rainy Costco parking lot." "I *will* wake up tomorrow, despite all the wine I drank tonight." "My friend Jordan *will* get me out of this mess."
Unreasonable faith: "God *will* take away my tumor." "God *will* cure that child's leukemia." "God won't let my hand burn if I pick up this hot coal."
I have no argument with people's faith in God; what bugs me is when they tell me their faith is fact, and they refuse to be reasoned with any further.
ive always been told by my pastors to let go and let Jesus take over and cast my cares into him, but I personally have always had a problem with that. I see that as a cop out to accept responsibility. Somehow in my deluded brain I see it as if God will give me the instructions and I just need to hustle my happy little ass and get er done. I think I see things a little differently than most Christians.

“Here's Lookin' At You, Kid”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Dec 18, 2011
 
La Strega Kaitlin wrote:
<quoted text>
I see two kinds of faith; reasonable and unreasonable. Reasonable faith is, "My car *will* start in this rainy Costco parking lot." "I *will* wake up tomorrow, despite all the wine I drank tonight." "My friend Jordan *will* get me out of this mess."
Unreasonable faith: "God *will* take away my tumor." "God *will* cure that child's leukemia." "God won't let my hand burn if I pick up this hot coal."
I have no argument with people's faith in God; what bugs me is when they tell me their faith is fact, and they refuse to be reasoned with any further.
Al Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>ive always been told by my pastors to let go and let Jesus take over and cast my cares into him, but I personally have always had a problem with that. I see that as a cop out to accept responsibility. Somehow in my deluded brain I see it as if God will give me the instructions and I just need to hustle my happy little ass and get er done. I think I see things a little differently than most Christians.
Interesting way of looking at it.

To me, anyone who says "let go and let Jesus take over" is no different from someone who says, "Hey, don't worry; have a hit of this, and all your problems will disappear..."

I once had a visit from a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses who attempted to lecture me about the futility of voting, since "all politicians are corrupt;" I responded with a quote from Edmud Burke:

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing."

“I'm not Religious ”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Dec 18, 2011
 
La Strega Kaitlin wrote:
La Strega Kaitlin wrote:
<quoted text>
I see two kinds of faith; reasonable and unreasonable. Reasonable faith is, "My car *will* start in this rainy Costco parking lot." "I *will* wake up tomorrow, despite all the wine I drank tonight." "My friend Jordan *will* get me out of this mess."
Unreasonable faith: "God *will* take away my tumor." "God *will* cure that child's leukemia." "God won't let my hand burn if I pick up this hot coal."
I have no argument with people's faith in God; what bugs me is when they tell me their faith is fact, and they refuse to be reasoned with any further.
<quoted text>
Interesting way of looking at it.
To me, anyone who says "let go and let Jesus take over" is no different from someone who says, "Hey, don't worry; have a hit of this, and all your problems will disappear..."
I once had a visit from a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses who attempted to lecture me about the futility of voting, since "all politicians are corrupt;" I responded with a quote from Edmud Burke:
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing."
I still have faith, I use it as a guideline but I don't rely on it by itself. This is where I've had my disagreements with my Pastors and Christian "brothers"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of174
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Pagan/Wiccan Forum right now

Search the Pagan/Wiccan Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 25 min JOEL COOL DUDE 193,494
Ex-Disney Star Renounced Christianity and Becam... 44 min Grumpy Guy 51
Create A Potted Plant Altar 4 hr Drake_Burrwood 1
What is Ritual Sex? (Nov '11) 10 hr Ken Ra 71
Paganism still suffering from wounds inflicted ... 10 hr Ken Ra 4
Wiccan Threefold Law Is Overrated 10 hr Ken Ra 7
Woman Injured in Wiccan Ceremony (Jul '08) 11 hr Ken Ra 5
•••
•••
•••
•••