Poll Finds More Americans Believe In ...

Poll Finds More Americans Believe In Devil Than Darwin

There are 6841 comments on the Wren's Nest story from Nov 29, 2007, titled Poll Finds More Americans Believe In Devil Than Darwin. In it, Wren's Nest reports that:

“Um yeah, I took first year Philosophy too... Even took upper levels and still can't make a bold statement, brother.”

Title: POLL FINDS MORE AMERICANS BELIEVE IN DEVIL THAN DARWIN More Americans believe in a literal hell and the devil than Darwin's theory of evolution, according to a new Harris poll released on Thursday. via Wren's Nest

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wren's Nest.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#6270 Mar 11, 2008
Truth wrote:
Only in a universe governed by God can universal, immaterial, unchanging laws exist.... Only in a universe governed by God can rational thinking be possible..... We use rational thinking to prove things....
Thank you for your opinion. I disagree. I see no reason to postulate a deity simply because there are descriptive laws.
Truth

Northfield, MN

#6271 Mar 11, 2008
Polymath writes:

Your understanding of math and the real world is inadequate. First of all, it is quite common in the real world to be able to add 2 things to 2 other things and get other than 4 things: the individuals can meld together or split apart, for example. So the specifics of the case determine whether 2+2=4 is a good model to use when investigating reality, and how it is to be used when it is.

Truth:

Yes, Yes, Yes, Two pigs plus two pigs = 4 pigs until one of them has a litter of piglets...But two pigs + two pigs equaled four beforehand....

Two pennies plus two pennies equals Four cents if each penny's true value is one cent......

Since: Dec 06

Saint Petersburg, FL

#6272 Mar 11, 2008
knit and pray wrote:
<quoted text>It is the religion of the Evil One. Christians are fishers of men, we know the truth . We need to tell everyone about Christ.
How dare you call someone else's religion the religion of the "evil one"! That can just as easily be said of your religion. It's all a matter of your perspective. You think your religion is so great and true because...well, because some book says so and you choose to believe that book. Others believe their religions are every bit as great and true as you think your is...and have every bit as much proof and basis as do you.
Bud

Tallahassee, FL

#6273 Mar 11, 2008
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont believe that everyone of other religions (false) are doomed to hell either...
I do believe that true Christianity is the one true religion......We have Jesus!!!!
I believe the time is coming upon us when many wonderous things will happen....Some good and some not.....
I wish you luck in your search for the truth!!!
After all I do believe that is why we are all on this forum.....
Not sure about that last sentence...in that I am not so sure everyone on this forum is really looking for the truth.

I've seen quite a few here that seem to be looking to hear what they wish to hear.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#6274 Mar 11, 2008
>>>>polymath257
Actually, base 2, you would have 10+10=100 since there is not a digit '2' in that system. Base 3, you would have 2+2=11.

>>>>Gillette
Well, I figured the Math Police would arrive soon enough and set us all straight!:)

My point to "Truth' though still stands, namely that the 'truth" value of almost everything is RELATIVE, not ABSOLUTE, since it depends on the original assumptions that are made.

Society's moral values are PLAINLY relative, changing, and dependent on majority opinion.

The only way people like Truth can claim they are absolute is by pointing to the Bible, which, of course, was written by men, and so therefore, again, relative, not absolute.

Since: Dec 06

Saint Petersburg, FL

#6275 Mar 11, 2008
knit and pray wrote:
There is only One God.
...yes, and it's Zeus. This conclusion is as valid as your choice of who that god is.
Truth

Northfield, MN

#6276 Mar 11, 2008
The Proof that God exists is that without Him you couldn't prove anything..........

I am not saying that professed unbelievers do not prove things....... The argument is that you must borrow from the Christian worldview, and a God who makes universal, immaterial, unchanging laws possible in order to prove anything........

In logic, this type of proof is called 'transcendental logic,' or 'the impossibility of the contrary,' where God is the basis for any rational thought........ Only the Christian worldview can logically support rationality........
Truth

Northfield, MN

#6277 Mar 11, 2008
Gillette wrote:
In the decimal system of counting, 2 + 2 = 4.
But in the base 2 system, 2 + 2 = 20.

Actually, base 2, you would have 10+10=100 since there is not a digit '2' in that system. Base 3, you would have 2+2=11.

Gillette,
According to polymath......You have fired your first dud.......

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#6278 Mar 11, 2008
Truth wrote:
Truth:
Yes, Yes, Yes, Two pigs plus two pigs = 4 pigs until one of them has a litter of piglets...But two pigs + two pigs equaled four beforehand....
Two pennies plus two pennies equals Four cents if each penny's true value is one cent......
But if you add 2 quarts of water to 2 quarts of alcohol, you will get less than 4 quarts of the mixture. Whether the usual rules of addition apply depends on the system you want to apply it to. In other words, it is NOT absolute.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#6279 Mar 11, 2008
>>>>Truth
Only the Christian worldview can logically support rationality.......

>>>>Gillette
Ancient Greece got along just fine without Jesus.

They invented science, much of mathematics, most of the philosophy that you are badly and incorrectly spouting at the moment, etc.

So your point, predictably, is more BS.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#6280 Mar 11, 2008
Truth wrote:
The Proof that God exists is that without Him you couldn't prove anything..........
I am not saying that professed unbelievers do not prove things....... The argument is that you must borrow from the Christian worldview, and a God who makes universal, immaterial, unchanging laws possible in order to prove anything........
In logic, this type of proof is called 'transcendental logic,' or 'the impossibility of the contrary,' where God is the basis for any rational thought........ Only the Christian worldview can logically support rationality........
Interesting that rational thought and logic was invented by the Greeks.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#6281 Mar 11, 2008
The Christian world view and Christian philosophy is based solidly on Aristotle, and ancient Greek who did NOT "believe in Jesus."

Anytime you hillbilly fundamentalists start mouthing off about "two things that are true cannot contradict one another," you're quoting ancient GREEK philsophy.
Bud

Tallahassee, FL

#6282 Mar 11, 2008
Dennis2 wrote:
<quoted text>
How dare you call someone else's religion the religion of the "evil one"! That can just as easily be said of your religion. It's all a matter of your perspective. You think your religion is so great and true because...well, because some book says so and you choose to believe that book. Others believe their religions are every bit as great and true as you think your is...and have every bit as much proof and basis as do you.
And the better religions, IMHO, are ones that don't claim to be the only path to God.

The Abrahamic religions are so arrogant...
Ossuary

United States

#6283 Mar 11, 2008
Truth wrote:
The Bible teaches us that there are 2 types of people in this world, those who profess the truth of God's existence and those who suppress the truth of God's existence.....
And yet, in truth, this is patently incorrect. One can travel to rural China today, or the depths of the Amazon, or even parts of Indonesia, and find people who are in no position to take either side. For such people, and for countless many more at the time of the writings, the Bible was utterly unknown.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#6284 Mar 11, 2008
knit and pray wrote:
<quoted text>I never hate, maybe you,re conscience is bothering you, I disagree with your religion because it is a false one and you will lose your soul and will not live forever. that is not hate. By the way disagreeing is not hate.
My religion is no more false than yours is. My spirit is just fine, and will live forever, and I have done nothing wrong for my conscience to bother me about.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#6285 Mar 11, 2008
knit and pray wrote:
<quoted text>The magick of the Egyption gods lost, remember? There is only One God.
Okay, did you read that before you posted it? Read it again

"The magick of the Egyption gods lost, remember?"

Think about this for a minute. In order for the Egyptian Gods to have lost the battle, they existed in the first place. Did you go a read the commandments like I suggested? That commandment doesn't say that there are no other Gods, just that the Jews were not to worship any Gods before Yahweh. Technically speaking, it doesn't even say the other Gods could not be worshipped, just not ahead of Yahweh.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#6286 Mar 11, 2008
knit and pray wrote:
<quoted text>It is the religion of the Evil One. Christians are fishers of men, we know the truth . We need to tell everyone about Christ.
No, it is not. You lie.
EADGBE

Bozeman, MT

#6287 Mar 11, 2008
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Romans 1 vs. 18 - 21 says:
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.
Yeah, I read it the first time, but again, your reply would only seem to illustrate the point within the comment you were replying to.
Truth

Northfield, MN

#6288 Mar 11, 2008
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting that rational thought and logic was invented by the Greeks.
Christians account for universal, immaterial, unchanging laws as they reflect the very nature of God.....

The Bible accounts for immaterial entities as in John 4 vs. 24 it states: "God is spirit, and his worshippers must worship in spirit and in truth."

In Malachi 3 vs. 6 God says "I the Lord do not change." accounting for His unchanging nature....

Psalm 90 vs. 2 states: "Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting, you are God." and Psalm 139 vs. 7 - 10 states: "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast," accounting for God's universality.

The laws of logic, mathematics, science, and morality, reflect the thinking and character of God and what He has created in order to accomplish His purposes.

In Jeremiah 33 vs. 25 God speaks of how He has 'fixed the laws of heaven and earth.' These universal, immaterial, unchanging laws are the basis for all knowledge and are rooted in God's word. The apostle Paul said in his letter to the Colossians: My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." (Chapter 2 vs. 2 - 3)

Of course everyone uses universal, immaterial, unchanging laws, but many do so denying their only possible source. Christianity proclaims the source which can be summarized with Christ's declaration: "apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15 vs. 5)

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#6289 Mar 11, 2008
knit and pray wrote:
<quoted text>y faith has strengthened, and do you know the diferance between disagree and hate? I do not think you do.
Yes, I do know the difference. It's you who remain ignorant of that difference. You are not merely disagreeing, you are spouting hate.

See, what I'm doing right now is called disagreement. If I were calling you names, calling you evil, saying bad things about your religion, you personally, or your family, THAT would be spouting hate. You do these things regularly, nearly every post to me. That is not mere disagreement, it's hate, whether you want to admit it or not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 5 hr I Smell Like A Mo... 256,430
News Athiest tells high schoolers God is evil (May '11) Oct 1 Juan 867
News Why All Jews Should Hate Halloween - And So Sho... (Oct '16) Sep '18 God Damned Holy S... 2
News Serena Williams won't celebrate daughter Olympi... Sep '18 JEHOVAH witness 6
Shadow Realm Aug '18 KageLupin 1
Andrekia the Wiccan witch. Aug '18 God Damned Holy S... 2
Ouija Films: Diarism? Jul '18 Abishai100 1