Mother Pulls Kid From School After Seeing Reading Material

Aug 23, 2007 Full story: www.wrcbtv.com

A book in Catoosa County has one parent raising a ruckus. Cher Ridenhour says her son brought home a book that was riddled with references to demons and witchcraft. via Wrcbtv.com

Full Story
Rane

Lexington Park, MD

#1 Aug 23, 2007
I personally did not see the title of the book. So honestly i can't say whether I would want my child to read it or not. As a PAGAN mother of 4 daughters (of different Faiths of THEIR choosing), I would like to educate my child on whether what was written could be construed as real or simply an art of fiction. Perhaps if the mother educated herself with what a REAL witch is, she wouldn't have pulled the child from school and sought media attention.
Cher Ridenhour

Dalton, GA

#2 Mar 25, 2013
Rane wrote:
I personally did not see the title of the book. So honestly i can't say whether I would want my child to read it or not. As a PAGAN mother of 4 daughters (of different Faiths of THEIR choosing), I would like to educate my child on whether what was written could be construed as real or simply an art of fiction. Perhaps if the mother educated herself with what a REAL witch is, she wouldn't have pulled the child from school and sought media attention.
To this, I reply: I did not remove him out of fear of witches or witchcraft. I am not afraid. I do not think it makes any sense to indoctrinate our children in any way at school. That's the parents' job. Separation of church and state is just that; it's not supposed to be separation of Christianity and state, but that's what it's become. I "sought media attention" as you put it because there are plenty of mothers with children in school who get up early every Sunday morning to take their children to church. They may not know what is being taught at school, so I thought I'd tell 'em. Now they know.

“Dance with Fire- Boycott BS”

Since: Apr 07

Moon

#3 Mar 26, 2013
The story is gone and it was 5.5 years ago..

Without having even the original article to go on, I can't imagine a public school attempting to convert anyone to any religion. Sometimes students or teachers are overly zealous and forget that school is not the place for their proselytizing, but as it has been pointed out, public schools are places to learn.

So why would there be a book about "demons and witchcraft"? If it was a literature class it could be any number of fictional stories.

If it was history it could be about the any number of death campaigns by the Catholic Church against perceived enemies.

A world religions, cultures, or other anthropological class may be teaching information on classical or Neo-Paganism in which case (pun intended :) the term witchcraft may be used, but demons is an outside term put upon our idea of spirits and deities by those that would, essentially demonize the religion. Those terms are also sometimes used by Western/Judeo-Christian centric anthropologists when describing indegenous cultures' religions (i.e "witch doctors" in aboriginal practices, could also be found in historical references to the discovery of native cultures during the Imperialistic era.)

Additionally, the book in question may have used none of those terms itself, but was the Western/Judeo-Christian centric intepretation of the mother in question in learning about other cultures outside of our modern Western culture.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 40 min bmz 207,567
Satanists Unveil Design for Statehouse Statue (Jan '14) Dec 22 thefinestallmoved... 18
torn sash Dec 21 Wanderinsoul 1
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Dec 10 God worships Sin ... 14,477
Student expelled for casting a spell (Jan '14) Nov '14 Stay6c 6
Is reincarnation real?? (Feb '11) Nov '14 holysupremacy 70
Looking to correspond with Pagan's Nov '14 GordonM 1
More from around the web