Since: Feb 08

West Palm Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

Finches are very short lived. Generally 5 years or so is pretty good, depending on the type. They are very likly to get a cold from something as simple as a draft. I used to raise finches and still raise exotic birds. Finches and Cockatiels are some of my favorites of the smaller avian species. Finches are fragile, they die easily. If they don't have enough calcium they can get an egg stuck and die. If there are two females rooming together it's not unheard of for the two to lay eggs until they both die. If they are near the kitchen and you use non-stick cookware, the fumes could have poisoned them. A lot of scented candles can be highly toxic to birds and the list goes on.....

ANOKA, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

Just like the canaries that used to warn miners of poison by keeling over, the birds may have been more sensitive to something environmentally toxic that could have been a cause in the other losses.

Make sure you check for any environmental causes. Birds and babies tend to be more vulnerable because of size; some toxins can bring on miscarriage.
Carrie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2008

I have a question seeing a dead sparrow on my way back to work from getting lunch. I saw one in September, I stopped and buried it right away. I had planned on burying this one too but the day got in the way and I didn't think about it again till tonight . It was a green bird.

ANOKA, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Judged:

Song birds are not the brightest bulbs in the marquee. They run into buildings alot, thinking that the reflection on the glass is actually sky. I work in a tall, mirrored building; we get, in spring and fall, lots of migratory songbird corpses around the building. We've had woodpeckers, goldfinches, purple finches, not so many sparrows - they live here year round, and have wised up to the whole can't-fly-thru-glass thing.

There was one poor little goldfinch that had got itself into a building entryway one morning, and kept getting spooked by the buses and people walking past,and kept flying into the windows. I cornered and caught him, before he could beat himself into unconsciousness, and carried him about 8 blocks to the nearest park area. He gave me a look like "you mean, your NOT gonna eat me?", hopped onto a tree branch, and flew off to a nearby flock of goldfinches.

ANOKA, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

Judged:

BTW, I noticed that goldfinches tend to have a greenish hue when they're not in mating season, when they're migrating.

“GO TOPLESS!!”

Since: Apr 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2008

DaBroad wrote:
Song birds are not the brightest bulbs in the marquee. They run into buildings alot, thinking that the reflection on the glass is actually sky. I work in a tall, mirrored building; we get, in spring and fall, lots of migratory songbird corpses around the building. We've had woodpeckers, goldfinches, purple finches, not so many sparrows - they live here year round, and have wised up to the whole can't-fly-thru-glass thing.
There was one poor little goldfinch that had got itself into a building entryway one morning, and kept getting spooked by the buses and people walking past,and kept flying into the windows. I cornered and caught him, before he could beat himself into unconsciousness, and carried him about 8 blocks to the nearest park area. He gave me a look like "you mean, your NOT gonna eat me?", hopped onto a tree branch, and flew off to a nearby flock of goldfinches.
My fiance's mother used to live in a house that was pretty much all windows in the back... hardly any wall at all. It was on a mountainside. They always fed the birds and other little critters that wandered into their yard (she and her ex- had like 100 acres of land in the woods).

They actually had a hawk fly into their windows! You could see the "print" of his body left in the glass. He hit it pretty hard, too. The hawk ended up dying.:(
warhorse

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2008

Ok... here's something to chew on:
I have had a weasel kill my chickens (in my backyard) twice in the past month.
Tonight, there was a large vulture sitting on my backporch and it wouldn't leave.
Any opinions on these things?

ANOKA, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2008

Vultures have a good sense of smell - they stink to high heaven, but can smell something dead from pretty far away. He probably scents something has died, and there might be a lingering smell of death from the chickens - even if you can't smell it, it might still be there. As for the weasels, set traps and improve your chicken housing. They know there's an easy meal there, and they'll keep coming back.

Sorry, I usually look to logical explanations over metaphysical ones for such things.

“Please don't feed the trolls.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2008

warhorse wrote:
Ok... here's something to chew on:
I have had a weasel kill my chickens (in my backyard) twice in the past month.
Tonight, there was a large vulture sitting on my backporch and it wouldn't leave.
Any opinions on these things?
Be on the lookout for a REALLY big freaking weasel!

Ok, seriously now, my condolences on the loss of your animals. He is probably waiting to see if he can score again after the weasel comes back. Clean the yard area where you found the deceased chickens, removing all bloodstained dirt and scrabble. If you can hose it, that will help, as will a spray of something like lemon juice or orange juice mixed with water.
Addonia

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

I don't know if this is a good place to post this or not, but my friend said this could have been an omen, and I thought I'd ask. I was driving home tonight about 10:00 pm, and I saw a brown rabbit dart in front of my car. Now, I have never hit an animal before in the 6 years I've been driving, so a flipped out (I'm a huge animal lover, I was devastated.). I pulled into a nearby neighborhood and my friend in the passenger seat had to calm me down. Even though I knew I'd hit him, and three cars had passed coming from the same direction, I had this urge to go back and check on this rabbit. So I drove back down the road, towards the area where I hit him, and there was nothing. Both my passenger and myself saw and felt me hit him, but there were no signs of any rabbit. Not on the road, in a ditch on the side of the road, not even any blood or anything. No marks or flesh on the tires, my car, or anything. And it made me think of a story my friend told me where she all of a sudden saw this man while she was driving, and couldn't stop. So she hit him, saw him roll up on the hood, blood everywhere. But when she stopped and got out to check on him; there was nothing. No man. No blood on the car. Can anyone tell me anything about this? What could have happened? I still am a little spooked by the whole thing, so any information would be appreciated. Even if it's just telling me I'm going crazy.

Agrace

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

I found a dead Sparrow near my mailbox. I am starting to get concerned it is a bad omen. Wondering what kind of interpretations there are.

I work for the Postal Service. My marriage is not always ideal.

I have started to notice a lot of synchronicities in my life; to be honest this spooks me a little.

Any ideas?
Thank you :)
Amy

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Agrace wrote:
I found a dead Sparrow near my mailbox. I am starting to get concerned it is a bad omen. Wondering what kind of interpretations there are.
I work for the Postal Service. My marriage is not always ideal.
I have started to notice a lot of synchronicities in my life; to be honest this spooks me a little.
Any ideas?
Thank you :)
Amy
Sometimes a dead bird is just a dead bird. Don't look for omens to blame your personal troubles on...rather, work within yourself to resolve them, and overlook the dead birds in favor of little bits of happiness. If you notice that every time you have a fight with your partner, you see a bird...try not to deliberately seek a scapegoat in the form of a fallen feathered friend.

If you are determined to see patterns, you'll find them whether they are there or not. Don't defeat yourself before you try to resolve the problems first. Best of luck, I hope everything works out!

PS...try feeding pigeons or get a canary. Maybe nurturing one will make you feel more positively about their presence?
unknown

Lavallette, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2009

in the past month my pets have been dying,all of them very healthy than out of no where gone, my snake, frog, mouse, and now my rabbit. what could this mean? i am a very spiritual person i dont understand this.

“WOOH!!”

Since: May 08

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2009

unknown wrote:
in the past month my pets have been dying,all of them very healthy than out of no where gone, my snake, frog, mouse, and now my rabbit. what could this mean? i am a very spiritual person i dont understand this.
Might have nothing to do with spirituality. These are all relatively short-lived pets. How old were they? Another likely possibility is some type of contagious infection.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2009

NiftyWitch wrote:
<quoted text>
Might have nothing to do with spirituality. These are all relatively short-lived pets. How old were they? Another likely possibility is some type of contagious infection.
If they were in close proximity to one another, that would be my guess as well. If you have other animals, please thoroughly clean their eating and sleeping areas, as well as any tanks, bowls, or cages. I hope the others are all right.
Makin Sense

Capay, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2009

Could be something in the environment. Pesticides, heat wave, fungi spores, etc. Perhaps you should look into getting a carbon monoxide detector. Everyone should have one, in my opinion.
movingon09

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

I've got a question -- two days in a row, I've seen two dead birds in my path. The first day I was taking a walk on my lunch hour and it was laying on the edge of the sidewalk and I almost stepped on it. The second day, I walked into a store and didn't see anything but on the same path out of the store less than an hour later, there was another bird - same type as the first one, dead on the sidewalk. There were no windows for these birds to fly into and die, they were just there. Could this be a coincidence or should I take more stock in it?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2009

This time of year, when food is more scarce for all creatures, those birds could have either starved, fallen ill, or been victims of cats or other feral animals who prey upon them. How old were they? Could they have fallen from a nest and perished? Do you know what kind they are? Are there animals who could have killed them? Even people who spray pesticides or leave out rat bait could have inadvertantly killed the birds.

Ask around a tidge, then if there is NO other possible explanation, I'd say that it could be sign of something spiritual. I prefer to look for the logical first, then seek a paranormal explanation. Dead birds are sometimes associated with the death of a child. Have there been any children who have recently passed? Is this place a historic site, or near a graveyard?
movingon09

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2009

Thanks. They were both little brown birds that we see throughout the winter, but I guess by some sort of coincidence, these two could have frozen to death during the day(?)even though it's not too cold. The first one I saw was on the edge of the sidewalk of the university where I work along a river. I have never seen a cat or other animal besides birds, chipmunks and squirrels on the campus. The second was in front of the closed gated entrance of the garden center of a very busy store. The garden center is open on the top and has a fence going around it that is just big enough to prevent a small child from getting through. Neither of the birds were extremely young, but as to how old they were, I have no idea. I just found it ironic that at the same time I'm contemplating ending my 9 year marriage/14 year relationship, in two days, I see two dead birds when I usually never see any and on top of that, I almost stepped on both of them. I do hope that it doesn't really have anything to do with children as I have two young boys who are my entire life. If this has nothing to do with my marriage, what type of omen could I look for to see if I should end it or continue to stick it out?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2009

The one bird, being near a garden center, likely ingested some sort of chemical pellet that they sell or store there. The one by the river, I have no idea. If it's on a university kept property, whatever they are winterizing the grounds with can sometimes harm animals. Have there been sick or dead squirrels or chipmunks too?

As for your marriage, the best advice I could suggest is asking your partner what he or she thinks. Looking for omens when they might not be omens at all can be confusing, I can certainly understand that. But for something this serious and life-changing, I'd look for something more solid and professional than dead birds. If a licensed therapist hasn't worked for you, and you still have doubts, your partner may be having the same distress over this as you are. I hope it can be worked out for the peace of mind of you both.

Good luck. 8^)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••