Kitty

Perryville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

I have always been interested in Greek mythology and also always been Wiccan. I never took a specific deity I've really felt most comfortable practicing worships to the Night and elements because Night is my favorite time of practice. I just think there are too many Gods and Goddesses out there to know about and that's not including the Romans and so on. I was just wondering about your take on this and how you handle it.

“A different view”

Since: Sep 08

West Riding

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Kitty wrote:
I have always been interested in Greek mythology and also always been Wiccan. I never took a specific deity I've really felt most comfortable practicing worships to the Night and elements because Night is my favorite time of practice. I just think there are too many Gods and Goddesses out there to know about and that's not including the Romans and so on. I was just wondering about your take on this and how you handle it.
I always think of Gods and Goddesses as representations of the elements (rather like the Green Man), the elements infact everything in nature are my partners and my equals we are there to help each other along, but I have special responsibilities as I am capable of destroying what we have and I am equally capable of putting things right.
While Greek mythology has interest and influences for everyone I dont quite see the connection.

“Please don't feed the trolls.”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

I do like the fact that the Romans and Greeks had representations of their more human aspects in their gods. Love, anger, warmongering, death...and for secondary aspects, demigods...chaos, discord, harmony. The children of the gods walked and lived and worked among the humans they were sent to, and were no more infallible than the limitations they put upon themselves. The Greeks and Romans preferred gods they could relate to, unlike the Christians who made their god so untouchable and infallible it became more of a religion of fear than love.

Regarding the relation to the Wiccan path, in a certain way it can be seen as similar. There are many aspects of Nature, Man, and Element as well as the Divine in many different parts of it.

How you choose to see it, as well as how you choose to follow, is entirely up to you. You can choose one deity, or many, or none at all. I would suggest reading a few books by reputable authors on Wicca and on the ancient gods or goddesses you find the most connection with. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would be more than willing to suggest a few or to field questions.(My library is sadly lacking)

You may find a very fun and rewarding combination, or you may want to keep learning before you choose. Either way, the decision is yours to make, and I wish you all the best on your journey!

And welcome!

“Dance with Fire- Boycott BS”

Since: Apr 07

Moon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

You could choose to try and get the attention of a particular matron (or patron) Goddess (or God). In many pantheons there is a Goddess of Night/Underworld/Oblivion, etc- depending on how you relate. The ancient world was a big and changing world as well, so one could easily be confused or overwhelemed by all the information on the various Gods.

Personally, I tend to go back as far as there is data and go from there. The attributes of Dieties can be simpler that way, too. Out of room!

Since: Apr 10

Perryville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

You all are very helpful and I appreciate that. It can just get very confusing because I have always dome my rituals straight to the elements and Night itself but someone I had talked to said I wasn't a true Wiccan because I hadn't chose a deity like she had. Hers was Hades. I just never wanted to because there are way too many and they're all from different types of places and what not. I

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Judged:

Because you haven't chosen a deity like your friend doesn't mean you are any less of a Wiccan than she is. Each pantheon has its own set of Godesses and Gods. It can be very confusing to try to keep up with them. I no longer consider myself Wiccan but do consider myself Pagan. As you study the different pantheons you will find that even though the names are different they are pretty close to the same. For me it was easier to dispense with names and refer to them as Lady and Lord or Consort. Many Native American traditions refer to them as Grandfather and Grandmother. I get the impression from your posts that you are young and just starting. There are many very knowledgeable people here. Also witchvox is a good site to look for information.

Perryville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

I am 19 I have always had a close relationship with the night so to speak and the elements. I have only considered myself Wicca tho for about a year. I have been reading a book called Nocturnal Witchcraft by Konstantinos and it's pretty good but I learn better face to face.

Moon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2010

I am sorry your friend pulled the witchier than thou attitude on you. Don't worry or rush into the Diety aspect. It is a major part of Wicca, but everyone starts somewhere and I would more trust the person who is honest about their interest, rather than the person who boasts about their relationship to Gods. It is a very personal thing and those who really have them do not speak lightly and informally of them.

Dark side of Hell

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2010

NM Desert Rat wrote:
Because you haven't chosen a deity like your friend doesn't mean you are any less of a Wiccan than she is. Each pantheon has its own set of Godesses and Gods. It can be very confusing to try to keep up with them. I no longer consider myself Wiccan but do consider myself Pagan. As you study the different pantheons you will find that even though the names are different they are pretty close to the same. For me it was easier to dispense with names and refer to them as Lady and Lord or Consort. Many Native American traditions refer to them as Grandfather and Grandmother. I get the impression from your posts that you are young and just starting. There are many very knowledgeable people here. Also witchvox is a good site to look for information.
Desert Rat, you beat me to it.

Long time, amigo! So how's life been treating you?

Dark side of Hell

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2010

Kitty617 wrote:
I am 19 I have always had a close relationship with the night so to speak and the elements. I have only considered myself Wicca tho for about a year.
The only real hard and fast rule of Wicca is the Rede: "An' ye harm none, do as ye will." You don't have to live up to the expectations of your friend who seems to be on some kind of a superiority trip.
Kitty617 wrote:
I have been reading a book called Nocturnal Witchcraft by Konstantinos and it's pretty good but I learn better face to face.
When the student is ready, the master will appear.

“A Generic User”

Since: Jan 10

Another Person on the Internet

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2010

Judged:

Kitty617 wrote:
I am 19 I have always had a close relationship with the night so to speak and the elements. I have only considered myself Wicca tho for about a year. I have been reading a book called Nocturnal Witchcraft by Konstantinos and it's pretty good but I learn better face to face.
Like the idiot before me said, "When the student is ready, the master will appear." Well here I am. I will show you the true God.

“A Generic User”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2010

Judged:

CShine wrote:
I am sorry your friend pulled the witchier than thou attitude on you. Don't worry or rush into the Diety aspect. It is a major part of Wicca, but everyone starts somewhere and I would more trust the person who is honest about their interest, rather than the person who boasts about their relationship to Gods. It is a very personal thing and those who really have them do not speak lightly and informally of them.
It's obvious that you need Jesus Christ in your life. I will pray for you.
The Gnome

Dos Palos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

Judged:

Real Morgan Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the idiot before me said, "When the student is ready, the master will appear." Well here I am. I will show you the true God.
If that isn't a good pickup line for a molester than I don't know what is.

Moon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

Judged:

Real Morgan Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
It's obvious you are a hippy and should just relax, dude.

“Proud to be a Wiccan Priest”

Since: Jul 09

Jonesboro AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

The Gnome wrote:
<quoted text>If that isn't a good pickup line for a molester than I don't know what is.
Yea it sure does come across as a lame pick up line..
Silent Whispers

Ardee, Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

Whoa CShne I wish I got as many prayers said for me as you do! Guess this means the poster likes you.:)

Go mBeannaí na Beannachtaí na Déithe ort á Leamhóir! ;)

Dark side of Hell

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

Real Morgan Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a newsflash for you, scooter--no one needs your worthless jesus.

“A Generic User”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

Bloody Damn Visigoths wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a newsflash for you, scooter--no one needs your worthless jesus.
When - not "if" but when you discover that Jesus Christ is the One True God then it might be too late. I will pray for you.

“Proud to be a Wiccan Priest”

Since: Jul 09

Jonesboro AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

Judged:

Real Morgan Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
When - not "if" but when you discover that Jesus Christ is the One True God then it might be too late. I will pray for you.
your belief only applies to those who believe as you do. We Pagans have worked out our own arrangements with our Deities for the after life..

if you are going to try to witness to a pagan you might want to learn how to do it.. Right now pal, you are setting your self up to look like a prize fool.

“A Generic User”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

Judged:

dhckfjhfhsnjfzsfk wrote:
<quoted text>
your belief only applies to those who believe as you do. We Pagans have worked out our own arrangements with our Deities for the after life..
if you are going to try to witness to a pagan you might want to learn how to do it.. Right now pal, you are setting your self up to look like a prize fool.
Yes the "diety" is named Satan and he lives in a place called Hell.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••