Offensive Vs. Individuality

Posted in the Pagan/Wiccan Forum

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#1 Jul 17, 2012
I have an accquaintance whom I normally share things with (experiences, life stories). This person knows I'm Pagan, and that I'm a Witch, and knows that I never take my Pentacle off. I have long naturally curly hair down my back, and this person knows that even though I am a natural brunette, I dye my hair a very vibrant red color, so ya, I get stared at from time to time lol. The other day they said to me "you know some people may find your Pentacle, and your red hair offensive, you should change it".....I thought to myself "seriously?". Why would I change who I am and what I like because a few people "may get offended" Are there really still people out there that mold who they are as a person based on society's popular demand? What ever happened to individuality? One cannot be truly open minded if that's the case. And if you ARE someone who's molding your life based on popular demand, how do you know who you are as a person? And I know there are people out there that don't even know they're doing it, it's all they've been taught. What a way to go through life, INSIDE the box.

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#2 Jul 17, 2012
Interesting point. I think that many people want to belong to something so bad that they conform to whatever is demanded of them. The fear of not being accepted is a driving force in their lives.

In my opinion a person that feels comfortable about who they are and what they believe is like a breath of fresh air. Your friend is very lucky to have you in their life.

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#3 Jul 17, 2012
Pagan Priestess wrote:
I have an accquaintance whom I normally share things with (experiences, life stories). This person knows I'm Pagan, and that I'm a Witch, and knows that I never take my Pentacle off. I have long naturally curly hair down my back, and this person knows that even though I am a natural brunette, I dye my hair a very vibrant red color, so ya, I get stared at from time to time lol. The other day they said to me "you know some people may find your Pentacle, and your red hair offensive, you should change it".....I thought to myself "seriously?". Why would I change who I am and what I like because a few people "may get offended" Are there really still people out there that mold who they are as a person based on society's popular demand? What ever happened to individuality? One cannot be truly open minded if that's the case. And if you ARE someone who's molding your life based on popular demand, how do you know who you are as a person? And I know there are people out there that don't even know they're doing it, it's all they've been taught. What a way to go through life, INSIDE the box.
Y'know, I can somewhat understand the comment on a pentacle, some are really anal about their religious opinion, but Red Hair? Seriously? Frankly if someone was offended over your hair color I'd be telling them quite quickly where they can stick that "opinion".

Location hidden

#4 Jul 18, 2012
Thanks NM. I consider myself a responsible person, although not perfect of course, but I do try to live my life with as much integrity as I can, that being said, I am not afraid to be myself, and I have and always will refuse to conform to society's image on what someone is supposed to look like, I am not perfect or vain in any stretch of the imagination, but I am confident.

And yes although I do always wear my pentacle, I don't always wear it out in the open, I'll hide it under my shirt or something. I know there are occasions in one's day wear it's best not to

“NM Desert Rat”

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#5 Jul 18, 2012
Pagan Priestess wrote:
Thanks NM. I consider myself a responsible person, although not perfect of course, but I do try to live my life with as much integrity as I can, that being said, I am not afraid to be myself, and I have and always will refuse to conform to society's image on what someone is supposed to look like, I am not perfect or vain in any stretch of the imagination, but I am confident.
And yes although I do always wear my pentacle, I don't always wear it out in the open, I'll hide it under my shirt or something. I know there are occasions in one's day wear it's best not to
I've never met the perfect person. I've met some who thought they were perfect. I look at some of the dumb things I've done in my past and it amazes me I survived my youth. Neither I or my wife wear a pentacle. She prefers a trescle and I wear a medicine pouch. At our age we are long past the point of caring what other people think.

“NM Desert Rat”

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#6 Jul 18, 2012
trescle = treskele Spelling has never been one of my stronger points.

Location hidden

#7 Jul 18, 2012
There are many symbols I like, the Pentacle just happens to be the one I am most drawn to, myself and my boyfriend who's also Pagan both wear one. What's funny is that we're also both fire elements, so when we get fired up, lol, we really get fired up.
Shadow

Columbus, OH

#8 Jul 19, 2012
The only time I hide my pentacle is for things like funerals, sensitive times like that.
Eworannod

Topeka, KS

#9 Jul 23, 2012
I appreciate the sensitivity of hiding the pentacle for funerals and such (if it's held in a church; funeral home chapels are another story), but why would one have to in everyday life? Christians certainly don't mind wearing their crosses out in the open.

I'm a pantheist with a mixed heritage from a Protestant dad and a Jewish mother. I often will wear my star of David around Christmas time as a double dog dare for anybody to wish me a merry Christmas.:-) I say it to others, of course, but it's time for Christians to come to terms with the fact that they're not the only people in the world with the right to express their spirituality.

Middleton, WI

#10 Jul 26, 2012
Eworannod,

I appreciate your sentiment, but while the US is a LOT more comfortable as a society with paganism than it was even 16 years ago when I first started on the pagan path, there is still a lot of unjustified horror and revision out there. I wear my pentacle in public often and while it usually goes unnoticed and sometimes even gets compliments, occasionally I am questioned rather accusingly or condemned. In rare occasions (twice thus far) I have been denied service. I'm proud of my beliefs and don't venture to hide it. But it has very real, practical implications I can't simply ignore because it shouldn't be that way. It shouldn't, but sadly it is.

Middleton, WI

#11 Jul 26, 2012
Side note, my sig still says Pacific Grove, CA as that was where I lived last I haunted the Pagan/Wiccan Topix forums, but I'm actually in Madison, WI. I'll have to fix that.

“Dance with Fire- Boycott BS”

Since: Apr 07

Moon

#12 Jul 31, 2012
While I think there is a certain hollywood horror factor to Pagan themed jewelry for some people, I think it is pretty hard trying to not offend anyone by your appearance. The way you look- dress, style your hair, make-up or no make-up, etc. has the possibiltiy of offending anyone for any reason. You might resemble a person they don't like or are in some way have physical features they are jealous of. I've had punk kids I met in one guise sneer at me when they spotted me on work-time in more professional clothes. I've had small local business owners about to bust an anneurism because I had a small child in their store.

People will judge based on many factors and unless I feel it might be a truly hostile environment (a judgement call on my part) leading to some kind of aggression/harassment, I tend to not worry about the silly and clickish.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 1 hr JOEL 207,200
Satanists Unveil Design for Statehouse Statue (Jan '14) 3 hr lmao 13
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Dec 10 God worships Sin ... 14,477
Student expelled for casting a spell (Jan '14) Nov 22 Stay6c 6
Is reincarnation real?? (Feb '11) Nov '14 holysupremacy 70
Looking to correspond with Pagan's Nov '14 GordonM 1
drawing with pen Nov '14 scribbles 1
More from around the web