Wiccan murderer is suing prison for not allowing 'dragon's blood' cake

May 16, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Examiner.com

It was announced to the public on May 14, 2013 that Daniel LaPlante is suing a prison for not allow him items such as dragon's blood cake, medians and other such Wiccan items.

Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Friday Jul 4

Since: Aug 12

Hurst, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

A cake of dragons blood incense makes sense. While Thor's hammer medallion may sound strange, he may have to be requesting this under a list of 'check here' official religions. I doubt the Buddhists, or Christians are going to be likely to have access to the items on his list. So he is likely Asatru, rather than Wiccan.

“Dance with Fire- Boycott BS”

Since: Apr 07

Moon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

This is a much better article that lists and explains the absurdity and frivalousness of all these requests. Most non-convicts can't afford all this stuff either, at least not all at one time. Just another unbalanced nut trying to get attention. Prison is a different world.

There never was a dragon's blood cake- someone got lazy in their journalism ("Wiccan Murderer" is highly inappropriate and needless in the headline).

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2013/...
Ken Ra

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

While the title of the article was sensationalist the story itself was good. While religious items are nice they are not required by our religion. The story also makes plain that prisoners and respectable practitioners are not the same.

I have run into Dragons Blood Cake. The resin was formed into round hockey puck like blocks that had to be broken with a hammer to be used. I can't recall anyone actually eating the stuff.

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Anyone who believes the practice of their religion is hampered by a lack of what essentially are props doesn't understand their religion at all.

Moon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

The cakes were for eating- carrot cake, etc. Someone didn't edit their stuff very well and the dragon's blood incense and carrot cake were combined into one item.

Moon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

I am going to guess that "medians" was supposed to refer to the original "medallions".

Hurst, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Pagan and Proud wrote:
Anyone who believes the practice of their religion is hampered by a lack of what essentially are props doesn't understand their religion at all.
While that maybe true, this may be an attempt to get equal access, as well as a possibility that in an unnatural environment he wants to feel he has a tangible link.

“I will not go quietly.”

Indianapolis Indiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Drake_Burrwood wrote:
<quoted text>
While that maybe true, this may be an attempt to get equal access, as well as a possibility that in an unnatural environment he wants to feel he has a tangible link.
Um, equal access would be having a Wiccan priest and reading material, I don't think the Catholic Prisoners would get to have lots of candles and a large crucifix so I can't see how anyone else would be getting more.

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

if he Is Asatru attempting to get, service through check the box and make a list. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a tactic of ask for more since you're going to get less.

“I will not go quietly.”

Indianapolis Indiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Drake_Burrwood wrote:
if he Is Asatru attempting to get, service through check the box and make a list. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a tactic of ask for more since you're going to get less.
Um, the article says Wiccan so that would mean he isn't Asatru. Two different systems there.
Ken Ra

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Asatru and Wicca Are very different but I would not expect someone on the outside of our religions to know that. In prison you are just, not going to get the freedom of nature. His best tangible link would be to watch the birds, and reflect on what got him there. There are too many lousy books.
Elise Renee Gingerich

Greenville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 2

Elise Gingrich, no longer eats whoppers candy, anymore, like she used to eat whoppers candy, in Washington State, many years ago. Elise Gingrich, now likes to eat chocolate covered raisins, in Texas! Elise Gingrich, really likes her chocolate covered raisins, here in Texas!
Theological Studies

Mescalero, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Friday Jul 4

Ken Ra wrote:
Asatru and Wicca Are very different but I would not expect someone on the outside of our religions to know that. In prison you are just, not going to get the freedom of nature. His best tangible link would be to watch the birds, and reflect on what got him there. There are too many lousy books.
Both religions attract overweight teenage white girls that were formerly "emo" or "goth." It is sad that they just don't eat healthy and do some exercise.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••