of 2
Next Last

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#21 Dec 4, 2010
Yule Part 2

Mythology that corresponds to this Sabbat

This day celebrates the rebirth of the Sun in many different cultures.

In the North, the months of December and January were called Freyja's Nights of Darkness. On Midwinter, She gives birth to Freyr, the Lord of the Sun, rain and agricultural fertility. In Egypt, Isis gives birth to Horus, whose sign is the winged Sun. Kore gives birth to Aeon, the new year. Juno Lucina, Goddess of the Moon and Midwinter Sun, is born on Midwinter night. Lucia is honored from Italy to Sweden by crowns of candles. The Persians held December 25 as sacred to Mithra, the Sun God.

Kwanzaa, the Swahili first fruits festival, is celebrated during this time. The Chinese Kitchen God is also honored during this time.

The Lord of Light celebrates his victory over the Lord of Darkness. The Goddess, the Great Mother, gives birth once again and recovers from her labor during the rest of the cold months. The Holly King, who has been ruling since Samhain, is defeated by the Oak King.

Mundane things to do during this season

Strengthen the bonds between your family members by celebrating together and exchanging gifts. It is not necessary to make a fuss over their "Christmas" gifts or your "Yule" gifts, since the spirit of the season is one of renewal and light. Take turns telling stories to the little ones or to each other. Place birdseed out for the birds to feast upon, and remember that they have had a long Winter too. Greet the Sun at dawn by ringing bells or lighting a fire.

What spells and Magick correspond to this Sabbat

Cast major waxing spells on this day. Any theme that needs growth (love, success, strength, closeness, etc) is great to begin on the Solstice. Spells to bless any new endeaver are also appropriate.

What you can include in your rituals

Perform rituals to raise the spirits out of the Winter blues. Yule celebrates rebirth from death, light from darkness---change. Rituals dedicated to causing changes are appropriate. For assistance in designing rituals refer to the Book of Shadows files: blessings, prayers, invocations and verses.

Other correspondences

Color: red, green, white, gold, silver

Tools: Yule log, fire, bells, drums

Food: nuts, meat, wine, dried fruit

Herbs:(oils and scents as appropriate): pine, cedar, fir, spruce, sandalwood, myrrh, wintergreen, bayberry

Decorations: evergreen boughs, holly, mistletoe, ivy, pine cones

“NM Desert Rat”

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#22 Dec 4, 2010
haley18 wrote:
oh and one more question... i ordered a blank book of shadows for me to write in. and i was wondering a good way to start it. i know some people's are kinda like journals and then some are spells and incatations. and what certian candles, herbs, and things like that mean. im thinking of putting all of that in the one i ordered when it gets here but since i dont really know any spells or incatations and since i havent studied nearly as long as i should to even attempt any is that a good idea?
A book of shadows is personal and different for each of us. Over the years I have found what works for me is to have a book that I can take apart and add sheets or remove sheets as needed. I have a BOS that is in four separate volumes. First is ritual. These are rituals that I have written for the Sabbats and moon cycles. I also write a critique behind each ritual on what went right and what needs to be improved. As I get older my rites are getting simpler because my brain doesn't work as well as it used to. I believe a sincere simple ritual is far more powerful than one with a lot of pomp and circumstance. My second book is on plants that are native to our area of New Mexico. In this book is how to identify them, how they are used in ritual rites, as natural medicines and in every day life. My third volume is magick. I seldom spellcast but when I do I write it down along with a critique on how to improve it. My fourth volume is the most unruly and disorganized. It is miscellaneous stuff I jot down that isn't covered in the other volumes. If one of the books you ordered is Cunningham's "Wicca A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" he has an example of his BOS in the book and how it was laid out.

Don't be in a hurry with the spells and incantations. Now is the time for study. If you aren't meditating I would suggest that you start. There are several good meditation techniques in Cunninghams book. Meditation will help you learn to focus. Most of the work you will do will come from this ability. This is over simplified but this is how a spell works for me. First I need to decide what I want to accomplish. Then I focus and build energy towards that goal. Once the energy is built and focused then I release it to do what it is intended. Hopefully more will jump in with more on this subject and what works for them. Enough rambling for this time.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#23 Dec 4, 2010
Try this book. It is good for the beginner, and quite easy to understand.

http://books.google.com/books...
haley18

Newton, IA

#24 Dec 5, 2010
that sounds alot like chritmas to me. i wonder if any of the christains know that story and if it would make them think diffrently about pagans? prolly not though since all the ones i know are set to their ways. any advice on how to start my book of shadows? or do you have one since you said you dont really use magick?
haley18

Newton, IA

#25 Dec 5, 2010
disreagard that last one
haley18

Newton, IA

#26 Dec 5, 2010
that is one of the books that i ordered and i cant wait for them to get here. and i think that ima wait until i have learned enough before i start my book of shadows. if i write anything it will prolly be the holidays and things like that. besides im still trying to focus my energy through meditation and i havent quite got the hang of that so any spells prolly wouldnt work and if they did they wouldnt go the way i would want them to. not right now anyway.and im not sure what i would want to use a spell for anyway unless there is one that can give me all A's on my midterms coming up lol.

“NM Desert Rat”

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#27 Dec 6, 2010
haley18 wrote:
that sounds alot like chritmas to me. i wonder if any of the christains know that story and if it would make them think diffrently about pagans? prolly not though since all the ones i know are set to their ways. any advice on how to start my book of shadows? or do you have one since you said you dont really use magick?
As you continue in your studies you will find that many of the things that Christians hold so near and dear have Pagan roots. Christmas was invented by the early Christian church in an attempt to compete with Yule and lure the Pagans into their religion.

“Dance with Fire- Boycott BS”

Since: Apr 07

Moon

#28 Dec 6, 2010
NM Desert Rat wrote:
<quoted text>
As you continue in your studies you will find that many of the things that Christians hold so near and dear have Pagan roots. Christmas was invented by the early Christian church in an attempt to compete with Yule and lure the Pagans into their religion.
Also, in some cases, the new Church couldn't stop the locals from indulging in rites and celebrations they always did. In some cases the local priests even presided over (and took part!) such celebrations- especially spring and harvest ones. People might have 'converted' because they felt they had no choice, but they sure didn't want to anger the 'fairies' and regional gods either and risk their fields and harvests. Thus many saints have their origin in Pagan mythology. Fun stuff. I've even heard that the nuns (to this day) in the convent charged with keeping "Saint" Brighit's sacred well are more Pagan in feeling and catholic in name.
rmac1313

United States

#29 Apr 18, 2013
do you live near moultrie? I am a witch.
Ken Ra

Saint Paul, MN

#30 Apr 18, 2013
A good overview book is Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 20 min Amused 4,509
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 1 hr CantHideTheTruth 252,992
Astrology and Paganism Thu Wolf 1
SHADOW PEOPLE... i need help (May '07) Jun 28 Friendly User17 348
News Ancient Spirituality and Commerce Clash in Mari El (Aug '10) Jun 25 yav1112 13
News Pastor: Church sign on Ramadan drew angry call,... Jun 20 The Prophet MO LIES 9
omens of dead animals (Aug '08) Jun 15 Jakes mom 112
More from around the web