haley18

Perry, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

i really need an experinced wiccan to talk to and help guide and explain everything. there is so much on the internet and i dont even know what is that im looking for exactly. i visited a few sites and read everything. ordered a couple books online and bought things i thought i might need but i dont want to just jump right in and start calling my self wiccan when i dont really know anything. i live in a very small town that doesnt even have a redlight in ga. and as far as i know there is no one around that i can talk to about it. i just need to be able to talk to, a real person. someone to be a guide and a teacher and who has respect for the religion and cares more about it than just spells and incatations. i need someone or is real and honest about there belief in it. i really want to learn and become a part of it. so someone please please please help me. i have no one.

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

Hi Haley

Sounds like you are at that point in your path where you are trying to find the path that is right for you. You said you ordered a couple of books on line. What did you order? I usually recommend several books when asked. They are An ABC of Witchcraft by Doreen Valiente, Wicca: A Guide For the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham, Buckland's Complete Guide To Witchcraft by Raymond Buckland. I'm sure others on this forum can recommend books. Witch Voice is a good Internet site. I'm sure there are also some other very good sites. Most study a year and a day before declaring themselves Wiccan. For some of us it was longer but when the time is right you will know. There are a lot of very experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum. Each is on their own path, whether it be with a coven or as a solitary. You may get the information you seek by posting questions. Keep in mind there are no dumb questions. We all faced these at one time or another. Good luck in your quest.
Earth Child

Hudson, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

NM Desert Rat always gives good advise. I, myself, found a really good book on information about Wicca and that is the book Wicca For Dummies that I found years ago. It breaks everything down so that one can understand it and all the book stores sell it. Paganism is a way of life and it is enriching with a wonderful feeling of well being with one's self, nature and people. It's not all magic and spells, which needs to be used with caution because there are risks. For every action there is a reaction and the results are not always what you want them to be and they can backfire.

“Dance with Fire- Boycott BS”

Since: Apr 07

Moon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

haley18 wrote:
i really need an experinced wiccan to talk to and help guide and explain everything. there is so much on the internet and i dont even know what is that im looking for exactly. i visited a few sites and read everything. ordered a couple books online and bought things i thought i might need but i dont want to just jump right in and start calling my self wiccan when i dont really know anything. i live in a very small town that doesnt even have a redlight in ga. and as far as i know there is no one around that i can talk to about it. i just need to be able to talk to, a real person. someone to be a guide and a teacher and who has respect for the religion and cares more about it than just spells and incatations. i need someone or is real and honest about there belief in it. i really want to learn and become a part of it. so someone please please please help me. i have no one.
I don't know if you have a car, but you might try using witchvox to find the closest big festival or event near you. Pagan Pride Days or Trad Shares are the kinds of events where you can meet people on several paths. Who knows, the urban centers or Pagan-friendly campgrounds that have these events tend to draw the Pagans out from all the surrounding small towns, you might meet someone who is closer than you realize. People who are as open at home in their small towns as they are when they. In fact, if your ISP thingy is correct, Ga has tons of Pagan gatherings all over the state. I had two invitations resulting from my attendance at Alchemy in Oct (held at the Pagan-friendly Cherokee Farms in Lafayette).

Winter is upon us and the festival season is over, but you can use the time to seek out these groups that hold these festivals. They may have Yahoo discussion groups you can join, or Facebook pages or at least a website with emails on them. Maybe you can start by asking around there and find some nearby preist/esses. The great thing about the internet is that everybody is 'out of the broom closet', whereas otherwise you might not be able to tell even if they were your neighbors!

And a final word about seeking out others is that, well, poeple are poeple and not anyone whose been Wiccan or Pagan for a long time is automatically a good guide or mentor. Take your time getting to know others and if anyone pressures you to committ to a group or a teacher before you are ready, you know they may not have your best interest at heart.

Good luck, and in the meantime the books suggested and setting up your own personal ritual or meditation for yourself are a good bet. Even if you meet a great teacher or group you need your own self-practice and good habits and self-exploration whether you are solitaire or coven-minded or somewhere in between.

Moon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

". People who are as open at home in their small towns as they are when they. "

Sorry this sentance got botched when I realized I knoew more about Ga Pagans than I first thought.

I meant that some Pagans are keep more to themselves and a trusted few if they live in small towns.
haley18

Perry, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

i do have a car and i have searched for covens near me. the closest one is a 3 hr drive away. and between work and college its very hard. i did find someone last night who clamed to be wiccan about 45 min away. but she is all about trying levitate and change your eye color and things like that. but i know there is more to wicca than that just by what i read so i cut all ties. and i have some of the suggested books. and they have been very helpful i will admit. but i still feel so lost. i mean i wonder where im suppost to start and how do i connect to the energy whithin me. how do i know if im on the right path? my boyfriend and i have been together for 4 years and he is very accepting and understanding. but he is not intersted in it and is that ok?
haley18

Perry, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

oh and im not in alapha ga im in westgreen. idk y it says alapha....

“NM Desert Rat”

Elephant Butte, N.M.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

haley18 wrote:
i do have a car and i have searched for covens near me. the closest one is a 3 hr drive away. and between work and college its very hard. i did find someone last night who clamed to be wiccan about 45 min away. but she is all about trying levitate and change your eye color and things like that. but i know there is more to wicca than that just by what i read so i cut all ties. and i have some of the suggested books. and they have been very helpful i will admit. but i still feel so lost. i mean i wonder where im suppost to start and how do i connect to the energy whithin me. how do i know if im on the right path? my boyfriend and i have been together for 4 years and he is very accepting and understanding. but he is not intersted in it and is that ok?
If your partner is accepting and supportive in what you do then you shouldn't have any problems.

Many of us had the lost feeling early in our paths. In my case it was finding a path that was right for me. I was raised Christian. Early in life I knew I was not Christian but had no idea what I was. I studied many religions in an attempt to find mine. One day I started reading a book titled Wicca: A Guide For The Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham. The first thing I discovered was there are people out there that believe like I do. In my case it was like finally finding my way home. I read and studied everything I could get my hands on. In the process I have acquired a pretty good library. I have been on this path for many years. It has continued to evolve as I go. I do not consider my path as Wiccan however I am a Pagan. The point I'm trying to make with this rambling dialog is that don't be in a hurry. Study everything you can and you will find what is right for you. Who knows you may even find out Wicca is not for you. Good luck on your quest. If you have any questions please do not be shy in asking. Hopefully more will jump in on this.
haley18

Perry, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

but i really do belive that wicca is for me. i have tried to learn what i could on my own since 7th grade. so about 5 to 6 years. off on own of course. but i always reach the same point to where im lost on where exactly i fit in. bc i dont know enough about the diffrent kinds there are and every website is diff. so i finally got to the point this time where i said no more. im going to do all i can to find someone to help me learn. someone who knows way more about it than i do. and i am determained to not stop this time to not get discouraged and find the right path im suppose to be on. it would just be so much easier if i had guidence...

“NM Desert Rat”

Elephant Butte, N.M.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2010

http://www.circlesanctuary.org/ Here is another site that has some very good information on it. For some reason I keep forgetting to mention this wonderful organization.

“NM Desert Rat”

Elephant Butte, N.M.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2010

haley18 wrote:
but i really do belive that wicca is for me. i have tried to learn what i could on my own since 7th grade. so about 5 to 6 years. off on own of course. but i always reach the same point to where im lost on where exactly i fit in. bc i dont know enough about the diffrent kinds there are and every website is diff. so i finally got to the point this time where i said no more. im going to do all i can to find someone to help me learn. someone who knows way more about it than i do. and i am determained to not stop this time to not get discouraged and find the right path im suppose to be on. it would just be so much easier if i had guidence...
I'm struggling with this a bit so hopefully Cshine or some others will jump in on this. I definitely can understand the confusion about the over load of information you are receiving. The only one that can choose the path that is right for you is you. For example my path is a spiritual path. I very seldom will, for lack of a better term, cast spells or do works of magick. I am in tune with the environment in which I live. I am self taught meaning that I studied as much as I could on a topic that resonated with me. I took what I could use and discarded what I couldn't. I have been fortunate in having several mentors in my life. They found me I did not find them. I don't believe in coincidences so this was meant to be. In your case you may consider continuing your studies. When you find a topic that interests you run with it. Take what works for you and discard what doesn't. When you are studying a particular topic keep in mind that this is what works for the author. It may not work for you. If you wish I am willing to make a suggestion or two but I do not feel it would be in your best interests to guide you. Be careful of those that are willing to do this until you are sure of them.

Moon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2010

Haley,

Even if you are certain that Wicca is the best Pagan path for you, NMDR still has good advice.

While those of us in my coven all reached a point where we wanted to join with a group, we all each had some years on our own, and we only meet 1-2 a month. That leaves much time for personal daily or as-needed rituals on our own. Esp since some of the still active founding members live a few hours away now. It is easier for them to committ to the drive b/c they both still have family here as well and they both still love Asheville.

Anyway, the point was that I kind of figured there were not any covens very close to you which is why I recommended looking for a Pagan gathering near you and to continue to use the internet asking around. And also, if you throw your net wider to include "Pagan" gatherings you may have more luck of catching a Wiccan or two.

It's sounds like you have a pretty good head on you for finding sincere people or not. I agree that the eye color girl would not be a good bet.

This might help you get started:

http://www.faeriefaith.net/festival.list.html...
Shadow

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2010

I know how you feel I'm still new to the craft and still learning but the thing is, you never stop learning. There are infinent ways to honor the Godess and God, endess ways to use magick and you never stop changing. I may still be new but I hope this helps you.

Oh and see if you can find any books by Christafer Penzack.(sorry if it is spelled wrong) He is pretty good.
haley18

Perry, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2010

Judged:

thank all of you so much and i am completly open to any suggestions or advice you may have. i just ordered some new books from the ones you recommended so maybe they will help more. they should be here in a couple days. maybe they will give me more guidence. and im sure they will probably raise more questions as well. since they always do with me. i plan on soaking up as much info as i can. and im deffinatly goin to check out those websites. who knows maybe ill find someone closer than i think. until then i guess i can study solo. besides i dont plan on living here forever so maybe i will find a coven one day. and maybe by then i will have found my way to the path thats best for me. all of you dont know how much your few suggestions mean to me. just to finally have contact with real people that have knowledge and understand where im at and have been there to. its a really great feeling. heck all i thought about today at work was "man i wanna get home to see if anyone replied" kinda cheesy i know but i am just so thankfull that i finally found a website that has intelligent people instead of the other ones i have been on.

“NM Desert Rat”

Elephant Butte, N.M.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2010

I don't know where you order your books. I get most of mine from half.com or Llewellyn's. Half.com is usually a little cheaper if you don't mind buying used books. Good luck in your quest.
http://www.google.com/aclk...

http://www.google.com/aclk...

“NM Desert Rat”

Elephant Butte, N.M.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2010

haley18 wrote:
thank all of you so much and i am completly open to any suggestions or advice you may have. i just ordered some new books from the ones you recommended so maybe they will help more. they should be here in a couple days. maybe they will give me more guidence. and im sure they will probably raise more questions as well. since they always do with me. i plan on soaking up as much info as i can. and im deffinatly goin to check out those websites. who knows maybe ill find someone closer than i think. until then i guess i can study solo. besides i dont plan on living here forever so maybe i will find a coven one day. and maybe by then i will have found my way to the path thats best for me. all of you dont know how much your few suggestions mean to me. just to finally have contact with real people that have knowledge and understand where im at and have been there to. its a really great feeling. heck all i thought about today at work was "man i wanna get home to see if anyone replied" kinda cheesy i know but i am just so thankfull that i finally found a website that has intelligent people instead of the other ones i have been on.
I kind of had a chuckle at your expense when you mentioned soaking up as much as you can. When I first started I felt like a giant sponge in absorbing anything I read or heard. Good luck. If we can be of any assistance please don't be shy in asking.
haley18

Perry, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2010

i orderd them from amazon. they were at a pretty good price. but ill check that website out too when i get paid next time. i do have one question though. and it sounds pretty stupid. but do yall celebrate christmas? i mean is there any special thing that yall do for it? of couse im goin to participate in gifts and family traditions but is there anythings that pagans or wiccans do special during this time of year?
haley18

Perry, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2010

oh and one more question... i ordered a blank book of shadows for me to write in. and i was wondering a good way to start it. i know some people's are kinda like journals and then some are spells and incatations. and what certian candles, herbs, and things like that mean. im thinking of putting all of that in the one i ordered when it gets here but since i dont really know any spells or incatations and since i havent studied nearly as long as i should to even attempt any is that a good idea?

“NM Desert Rat”

Elephant Butte, N.M.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2010

haley18 wrote:
i orderd them from amazon. they were at a pretty good price. but ill check that website out too when i get paid next time. i do have one question though. and it sounds pretty stupid. but do yall celebrate christmas? i mean is there any special thing that yall do for it? of couse im goin to participate in gifts and family traditions but is there anythings that pagans or wiccans do special during this time of year?
I participate in Christmas out of respect for my family and friends beliefs. I believe if we are to ask for respect for our beliefs we should respect the beliefs of others. The Christians celebrate the birth of their son. We celebrate the return of the sun at the Solstice. I will post some information about the Solstice in a separate post. Hopefully that will give you some ideas. Maybe some others will add to it. In our household we follow the family traditions given to us by my grandparents. Our celebrations started 6 days before the solstice with the main celebration on the solstice followed by celebrating for 6 days after. It was a great family time and I cherish those memories. Now that our children are grown and gone we have modified the tradition some. Sometimes I think the song the twelve days of Christmas may have come from this tradition. I don't know though.

“NM Desert Rat”

Elephant Butte, N.M.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2010

Yule Part 1

YULE (December 21-25)

Also Known as: Winter Solstice, Jul, Midwinter, Saturnalia, Solar New Year, Yuletide and Alban Arthan

Yule was from the Anglo-Saxon "Yula" their word for wheel. This longest night of the year celebrates the return of the Sun and the birthday of the Sun God. This lesser Sabbat usually occurs around the 21st of December, but the actual date and time fluctuate from year to year. By the old Julian calendar, the Winter Solstice was celebrated on December 25th.

Customs

The actual day of Yule, like the other Sabbats, began on the Eve before the day itself. This tradition came from the Celtic view of the day, which was from dusk to dusk. This festival, though, was a twelve day celebration ( where the "Twelve Days of Christmas" came from). This festival was also a fire festival. Fires from huge bonfires to candles were lit everywhere. Christmas lights evolved from this use of candles.

Yule was often the quietest Sabbat. The cold kept many indoors and made Yule a private holiday to be spent at home with family. Greenery was brought in to decorate the house and to symbolize the promise of life on this darkest night.

Since many people had no food during this darkest time of the year, Yule celebrated a huge feast from the remaining of the Summer's bounty. Hunters would bring game animals to be roasted and eaten with large quantities of liquor. From the last grain harvested, the Scandinavians would make a loaf of bread in the shape of a boar. They ate half on Midwinter and kept the other half until Spring, when they ground it and added it to the animal feed as a blessing.

The Celts lit a Yule log, often Oak, for twelve days and nights. They saved the remains to light the next year's Yule log. The log was kept near the hearth and protected the house for the following year. Wishes for the coming seasons were made on the Yule log. These traditions were common from Celtic North to Roman South.

Another tradition was to open all the doors at midnight to let the evil spirits out. The Celts thought that you would have a lucky month for each Yule pudding you sampled and unless you took your tree down by the twelfth night, bad luck would ensue. Mistletoe was then used for more than a kiss. It was a powerful fertility amulet if a couple made love underneath it.

Wassailing was also a Yule time tradition. Groups of people would wander from house to house singing songs in return for glasses of wassail (the alcoholic kind). The wassail carols date back to the Viking era and was a greeting, "ves heill". It evolved into Anglo-Saxon to "waes thu hal," which meant be whole or good health.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of30
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Search the Pagan/Wiccan Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 20 min Alex WM 198,592
Pagan High Priest Claims Discrimination by City... 8 hr Ernie 5
Speaking of religion: Pagans stir a fuss in Beebe Wed probably true 70
What is Ritual Sex? (Nov '11) Wed CShine 90
Ouija Board... SCARY STUFF! NEED HELP! (Aug '07) Wed CShine 1,015
Need Help - Shadow Person Protector or Harmful? (May '09) Wed Shawn 9
Novice needs Wiccan Friend..... Jul 7 Novice 1
•••
•••