Withdrawal of Bible Literacy Project ...

Withdrawal of Bible Literacy Project Endorsement

There are 116 comments on the www.nationalledger.com story from May 29, 2008, titled Withdrawal of Bible Literacy Project Endorsement. In it, www.nationalledger.com reports that:

Alabama State Senator Scott Beason has turned out to be the principal opponent of a new textbook, the Bible and Its Influence, backed by liberals for schools which want to teach about the Bible.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.nationalledger.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“Just a Koldunia”

Since: Jan 08

Kostroma

#109 Jun 5, 2008
Writing in Paradise wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a discussion of the similarities between wicca and christianity. My spiritual beliefs are immaterial to the discussion and would add nothing.
Well in that case I will just choose not to converse with you further.
Writing in Paradise

Honolulu, HI

#110 Jun 5, 2008
CShine wrote:
Again, I know what Wicca is for me. I know what is it for the Wiccans around me and I have a good handle on the traditional intent.
If the "traditional intent" isn't open to change or compromise, then it becomes dogma, according to your very own definition.
CShine wrote:
Why need be a reason to prevent people from becoming a Christian?
I was just providing another similarity, since you seemed to be implying that wicca was different than christianity since there's no way to prevent anyone from becoming a wiccan. I pointed out that there's no difference there at all, as there's no way to prevent anyone from becoming a christian either.
CShine wrote:
Most Christians just say their prayer and go about their business. In great times of need, they might actually raise a little energy. But they generally don’t make into a chant or mantra or tonal vibrational sort of thing. I think that is pretty common knowledge, even to me.
Actually, chants are extremely common in christian churches.
CShine wrote:
Dystopian seems an odd adjective for it (as I am only familiar with the literary use of it), but yes, Ereshkigal’s realm- or, at least, her part of it.
You actually believe in a punishment hell? Why?
Writing in Paradise

Honolulu, HI

#111 Jun 5, 2008
Natalia Tikimirova wrote:
<quoted text>
Well in that case I will just choose not to converse with you further.
That's fine. It's a free forum. We're all free to discuss (or refuse to discuss) with anyone we want.

“Dance with Fire- Boycott BS”

Since: Apr 07

Moon

#112 Jun 6, 2008
<quoted text>

<quoted text>
You actually believe in a punishment hell? Why?
No, I believe that the world spirals in as well as out. My experiences journeying to the underworld (a'la 'shamanic' journey) are clearly different then your own experiences/ideas/beliefs.

Just because there is a realm that can be entered by descending deep into the Earth does not mean it is a punishment hell.

In my view, down, inward, under, deep, earthy, & darkness does not equal bad or punishment or hell. Even death I do not equate as a punishment. Merely a change of state. It can be scary for being unknown & sad for loss of familiar comforts, but I suspect time & age will help with that.

As well as, upwards & heavenly does not automatically represent all that is good & pure. They just are, the stellar realms and the underworld realms are just other places. There are more, I suspect.

I do not honor God/esses as complete & perfect beings to emulate, but rather for the very interesting beings they are. I don't know everything there is to know about them, I know only what I have gained through interactions.

Hey, its not for everyone, there are lots of ways for poeple to find balance & happiness, to come to terms with this place we're either thrown into or somehow choose. But, I like to challange myself. I like to see how far I can go before the next death.

Moon

#113 Jun 6, 2008
<quoted text>
If the "traditional intent" isn't open to change or compromise, then it becomes dogma, according to your very own definition.
I never said the traditional intent was static. I also said that traditional intent has to do with actions, not faith. Like I've said before, poeple who have been involved with a system can recognize when the system has evolved organically as a result of it's own purpose being carried out... and when people with little experience and/or understanding of the system as it is have imposed new a definition on the system.
Ralph

Fenton, MO

#114 Jun 6, 2008
hey you wrote:
<quoted text>Tell me, why is it that seventyfive percent of the people in the U.S. call themselves Christian? Tell me why the churches across the nation are filling up on Sundays and now the new trend of Mega Churches, get real . Why were there thousands and thousands of people going to see the Pope and millions watched him on the TV? Tell me why there were a million at a Popes funeral shouting John Paul II the Great. Why are there thousands and thousands of people going to see Evangalists? Because they believe in the Word Of God. Also why were there millions of pagans being baptized in the name of Jesus? You are a lyer, just as your master the Evil One is, you want to deceive as many people as you can so they will turn away from Christ. Aint gonna work.
Same story was true in Nazi Germany in the late 30's. Just because a majority believe something does not make it so. Hence the Calif. Supreme Court and Gay Marriage ruling.

Moon

#115 Jun 6, 2008
I was just providing another similarity, since you seemed to be implying that wicca was different than christianity since there's no way to prevent anyone from becoming a wiccan. I pointed out that there's no difference there at all, as there's no way to prevent anyone from becoming a christian either.
I am sure there are similarities, since both systems are comprised of human beings. I am sure there are similarities as human beings have this thing about assigning definitions to things for the purpose of communication... and just like human beings, the definitions get tied up in individual bias, insight, and cultural influences.

To me, the similarities are just immaterial similarities that people could just as well say of the beekeepers association or an intentional community or the young republicans.

“Just a Koldunia”

Kostroma

#116 Jun 6, 2008
CShine wrote:
<quoted text>
To me, the similarities are just immaterial similarities that people could just as well say of the beekeepers association or an intentional community or the young republicans.
OK, this is where I draw the line in the sand. Young Republicans can not be Wiccan.:)

(5986)

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#120 Jun 6, 2008
<quoted text>
OK, this is where I draw the line in the sand. Young Republicans can not be Wiccan.:)
(5986)
What about older Republicans? I'm thinking of my husband here :)

Moon

#121 Jun 6, 2008
If they're old & crunchy & salty :)

Since: Feb 08

ANOKA, MN

#122 Jun 6, 2008
Garlic and onion salt?'Cause then, you need some sour cream dip as well.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#123 Jun 6, 2008
CShine wrote:
If they're old & crunchy & salty :)
He says he's old. I don't think 52 is old. And I personally think he's yummy. Does that qualify? ;-D

“Just a Koldunia”

Kostroma

#124 Jun 6, 2008
The question is ....

Is he a republican?

if one is republican then you must add at least 10 years.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#125 Jun 6, 2008
The question is ....
Is he a republican?
if one is republican then you must add at least 10 years.
Yes, he is Wiccan and Republican :) So, you're saying he's really 62? LOL.

“Not Christian, Not Atheist”

Since: Nov 07

United States

#126 Jun 6, 2008
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
What about older Republicans? I'm thinking of my husband here :)
That describes me! I like to think with my head and feel with my heart.:)

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#127 Jun 6, 2008
Questions about allthings wrote:
<quoted text>
That describes me! I like to think with my head and feel with my heart.:)
I think that's a good thing :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I'm searching for answers Feb 14 You and everyone 3
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb 10 superwilly 5,154
News How to Cast a Spell to Levitate Objects (Jun '10) Feb 5 Arturo 6
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) Feb 3 David 256,266
News "Juggalos" Speak Out After Arson Arrests (Sep '07) Feb 2 Boogie man 50
Journalism Diorama(s): Pluralism Theocracy Jan '18 Abishai100 1
Journaling Questions for Deeper Exploration Dec '17 Raavyncloud 1
More from around the web