Withdrawal of Bible Literacy Project ...

Withdrawal of Bible Literacy Project Endorsement

There are 116 comments on the www.nationalledger.com story from May 29, 2008, titled Withdrawal of Bible Literacy Project Endorsement. In it, www.nationalledger.com reports that:

Alabama State Senator Scott Beason has turned out to be the principal opponent of a new textbook, the Bible and Its Influence, backed by liberals for schools which want to teach about the Bible.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.nationalledger.com.

“Trolls, the canker sores of”

Since: Jul 07

the internet.

#45 May 31, 2008
Hhhhmmmm quiet here.

"Writing in Paradise
That isn't true. The "Rule of Three" IS karma."

Not exactly. The rule of three is more along the line of the Christian golden rule. The one main difference in that is we who are Pagan pay more attention to our will, intent and the purpose of how we live. We know if we do something outside the law of the land or of not protecting that which needs protecting, we get it back worse.
It is three times worse when we knowingly do something harmful, then if something is done as an accident. Natural consequences is what this is.

The law of Karma is not the westernized version that most people think it is.

"Writing in Paradise
And correspondingly, many wiccan sects prevent men from being clergy, and teach that the feminine is superior."

You are thinking of the Dianics again and not the rest of the Wiccan or Pagan world. On the path we celebrate both male and female energy and to do that without a male god is just silly.

"Writing in Paradise
The state of our environment says otherwise."

Yep, the greedy aspect of human nature. I wish it wasn't so, but more of the Christians I have met are the ones who have caused these problems.

"Writing in Paradise
And yet wiccans submit to karma, the Earth's will and reincarnation blindly."

Not blindly. We don't do anything blindly.

Writing in Paradise

Waipahu, HI

#46 May 31, 2008
Gryph wrote:
Not exactly. The rule of three is more along the line of the Christian golden rule. The one main difference in that is we who are Pagan pay more attention to our will, intent and the purpose of how we live. We know if we do something outside the law of the land or of not protecting that which needs protecting, we get it back worse.
It is three times worse when we knowingly do something harmful, then if something is done as an accident. Natural consequences is what this is.
The law of Karma is not the westernized version that most people think it is.
I know what the rule of three is. Describing it to me doesn't change anything. It's still karma. You're being punished for bad things you do, and rewarded for good things you do, all while pretending it's the "universe" (a conveniently unappeasable authoritarian figure) doing it.
Gryph wrote:
You are thinking of the Dianics again and not the rest of the Wiccan or Pagan world. On the path we celebrate both male and female energy and to do that without a male god is just silly.
I did say wiccan extremists, did I not?
Gryph wrote:
Yep, the greedy aspect of human nature. I wish it wasn't so, but more of the Christians I have met are the ones who have caused these problems.
The claim was that human nature revered the environment. I refuted that claim with the obvious evidence.
Gryph wrote:
Not blindly. We don't do anything blindly.
That's what the christians say, too. People who are doing things blindly aren't capable of realizing they're doing them blindly.

Submitting to the Rule of Three is blind obedience.

Since: Jan 08

Mestre, Venezia - Italy

#47 Jun 1, 2008
Writing in Paradise wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what the rule of three is.....That's what the christians say, too. People who are doing things blindly aren't capable of realizing they're doing them blindly.
I think you do not know it: the Rule of Three is not a Law as the christian commandments are. This is a common misunderstanding: the 3-fold Law is something like an explanation of a law of nature. It deals with actions and how these affect the cosmos and the apparent source of these actions. As an explanation, it ought to be tested by the skeptical and disregarded by those who feel it inaccurate. So... no blind obedience to anyone and/or anything, sorry.
Blond Prince

Chattanooga, TN

#48 Jun 1, 2008
I don't believe in a three fold. What I don't believe in doesn't exist. What I do believe in does even if it doesn't yet.

the internet.

#49 Jun 1, 2008
"Writing in Paradise
I know what the rule of three is. Describing it to me doesn't change anything. It's still karma. You're being punished for bad things you do, and rewarded for good things you do, all while pretending it's the "universe" (a conveniently unappeasable authoritarian figure) doing it."

I have not seen any Pagan I know using the excuse of the "universe is doing it to me". We all know that it is our own behavior in the cause and effect of life. I know that if I smack your face there will be natural consequences, so I don't smack your face. Doesn't mean I won't call you a bone head for being so stuck in the rut of your thinking.
Karma on the other hand is the build up over many lifetimes, not just this one and to try comparing the two are actually a fallacy.

"Writing in Paradise
I did say wiccan extremists, did I not?"

I didn't think that the Dianics considered themselves Wiccan, last I knew they didn't. Wicca is more about the balance and is not one sided.

Yet we do agree that Fundies no matter what their stripe are a pain to deal with.

"Writing in Paradise
The claim was that human nature revered the environment. I refuted that claim with the obvious evidence."

GEEEEEZZZ I was just pointing out the greedy aspect of human nature is where the blame lies, but if you want to get into the fine details of samanitics... Lets see if we can agree on this...
Thinking, caring people revere nature, greedy a**holes revere the dollar and nothing else.

"Writing in Paradise
That's what the christians say, too. People who are doing things blindly aren't capable of realizing they're doing them blindly."

And you are not blind.*chuckles* You are though by your own perceptions. I do agree more with WiccaNews on this.

the internet.

#50 Jun 1, 2008
Ooopppsss I missed the last line of what you posted.*grumble* I know I shouldn't post on only one cup of coffee.

This is the law of three in action, not Karma.

*gee, couldn't have asked for a better way to show you. LMPAO!!!!!*

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#51 Jun 1, 2008
<quoted text>
Prayer is virtually identical to ritual magick. Christianity teaches that man is fallen and needs to atone. Wicca teaches that man is ignorant and needs to reincarnate. Christianity has a triune, patriarchal god. Wicca has a dual-deity with two aspects. Christian extremists hate women. Wiccan extremists hate men. Christianity teaches that god punishes sinners. Wicca teaches that karma punishes evildoers. Christianity teaches that good christians will be rewarded by God. Wicca teaches that good wiccans will be rewarded by karma. Both christians and wiccans celebrate the solstices. Christians do a baptism. Wiccans do a wiccaning. Both religions have an initiation ceremony.
The similarities between wicca and christianity are endless. They're far more similar than opposite.
The flaw in your argument is that Karma is not a teaching of Wicca.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#52 Jun 1, 2008
<quoted text>
And many don't. Mine doesn't.
<quoted text>
Winter Solstice = Christmas. Spring Equinox = Easter.
<quoted text>
Adding to the similarities, yes.
<quoted text>
That isn't true. The "Rule of Three" IS karma.
<quoted text>
It's not a core christian belief either.
<quoted text>
And correspondingly, many wiccan sects prevent men from being clergy, and teach that the feminine is superior.
Christians do not celebrate the Soltices. Wicca does. The Sabbats in Wicca celebrate the seasons, and the cycle of all life, Christianity celebrates the events of the life of Jesus. Really, it's not the same.

Many sects??? Do tell which 'many sects' do this. I don't know of a tradition that teaches against male clergy. Dianics do revere the Goddess above the God, and the fact that the covens are made up of women probably goes a long way toward explaining the absence of male clergy. But, I suppose you know better than the rest of us who actually practice the religion, so please, enlighten us.
Writing in Paradise

Waipahu, HI

#53 Jun 1, 2008
Gryph wrote:
I have not seen any Pagan I know using the excuse of the "universe is doing it to me". We all know that it is our own behavior in the cause and effect of life. I know that if I smack your face there will be natural consequences, so I don't smack your face. Doesn't mean I won't call you a bone head for being so stuck in the rut of your thinking.
You're evading. If I strike your face, there don't have to be consequences to me at all. You might never hit me back.
Gryph wrote:
Karma on the other hand is the build up over many lifetimes, not just this one and to try comparing the two are actually a fallacy.
And we're back to "the universe does it to me".
Gryph wrote:
I didn't think that the Dianics considered themselves Wiccan, last I knew they didn't.
And you'd be wrong.

http://www.google.com/search...
Gryph wrote:
And you are not blind.*chuckles* You are though by your own perceptions. I do agree more with WiccaNews on this.
Did I ever say there weren't things I'm blind about?
Writing in Paradise

Waipahu, HI

#54 Jun 1, 2008
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
The flaw in your argument is that Karma is not a teaching of Wicca.
Oh?

253,000 hits says otherwise.
Writing in Paradise

Waipahu, HI

#55 Jun 1, 2008
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians do not celebrate the Soltices. Wicca does. The Sabbats in Wicca celebrate the seasons, and the cycle of all life, Christianity celebrates the events of the life of Jesus. Really, it's not the same.
You know better than this, Bitner. The pagan origins of Easter and Christmas are easy to find for anyone who wants to look.
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Many sects??? Do tell which 'many sects' do this. I don't know of a tradition that teaches against male clergy. Dianics do revere the Goddess above the God, and the fact that the covens are made up of women probably goes a long way toward explaining the absence of male clergy. But, I suppose you know better than the rest of us who actually practice the religion, so please, enlighten us.
You answered the question for me. Dianic Wiccan sects do this.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#56 Jun 1, 2008
<quoted text>
Oh?
253,000 hits says otherwise.
Did you read any of them?
Top ten

1)Cannot be found.
2)A 'universal' dictionary that incorporates from many faiths. Does not say that Karma is a teaching of Wicca.
3)The only Wiccan reference her is the quote by Buckland, and it also does not say that Karma is a teaching of Wicca.
4)An opinion piece written by a solitary Eclectic Wiccan with no formal training.
5)Eclectic Pagans. Note two things;
a)They are not Wiccans, and
b)They tell you right on there that they borrow Karma from Buddhism.
6)Blog. Do you consider such to be the authority on ANYTHING?
7)An Eclectic Witch, again opinion. Not all Wiccans are Witches.
8)A review of a book by a person with the screen name Karma.
9)A Tarot Deck, called Karma Angels Oracle, based upon Christian and Jewish traditions. Nothing to do with Wicca.
10)Another book review, written by someone who apparently does not approve of Wicca. Hardly authoritative, or even knowledgeable.

The fact remains that Karma is not a teaching of Wicca. That is not to say that many Wiccans don't subscribe to it, but they come to that on their own, not through initiation or training.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#57 Jun 1, 2008
<quoted text>
You know better than this, Bitner. The pagan origins of Easter and Christmas are easy to find for anyone who wants to look.
<quoted text>
You answered the question for me. Dianic Wiccan sects do this.
The fact that the Christian church chose to have their own holidays, incorporating some symbols from the Pagan holidays, and on dates near those of the Pagan holidays does not mean that the Christians are really celebrating the Solstices. Christians are celebrating events, Wiccans/Pagans are celebrating seasons. It's not the same.

One tradition constitutes 'many sects' to you? Really?
1)Saying that the Goddess is revered above the God is not the same as saying they teach that the female is superior to the male, simply that they prefer to worship the female aspect of Divinity rather than the male.
2)You have yet to prove that they teach that men cannot be clergy.
Colonel Angus

Munster, IN

#58 Jun 1, 2008
This is typical of perverted "xtians" trying to indoctrinate our children into their kweer cult.
Writing in Paradise

Waipahu, HI

#59 Jun 1, 2008
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read any of them?
Top ten
1)Cannot be found.
2)A 'universal' dictionary that incorporates from many faiths. Does not say that Karma is a teaching of Wicca.
3)The only Wiccan reference her is the quote by Buckland, and it also does not say that Karma is a teaching of Wicca.
4)An opinion piece written by a solitary Eclectic Wiccan with no formal training.
5)Eclectic Pagans. Note two things;
a)They are not Wiccans, and
b)They tell you right on there that they borrow Karma from Buddhism.
6)Blog. Do you consider such to be the authority on ANYTHING?
7)An Eclectic Witch, again opinion. Not all Wiccans are Witches.
8)A review of a book by a person with the screen name Karma.
9)A Tarot Deck, called Karma Angels Oracle, based upon Christian and Jewish traditions. Nothing to do with Wicca.
10)Another book review, written by someone who apparently does not approve of Wicca. Hardly authoritative, or even knowledgeable.
The fact remains that Karma is not a teaching of Wicca. That is not to say that many Wiccans don't subscribe to it, but they come to that on their own, not through initiation or training.
I'm starting to wonder if perhaps we're definining "karma" differently. Could you give me your definition, please?

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#60 Jun 1, 2008
<quoted text>
I'm starting to wonder if perhaps we're definining "karma" differently. Could you give me your definition, please?
It really doesn't matter how each of us defines it, it still is not a teaching of Wicca.
Writing in Paradise

Waipahu, HI

#61 Jun 1, 2008
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
It really doesn't matter how each of us defines it, it still is not a teaching of Wicca.
The Rule of Three is a karmic teaching.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#62 Jun 1, 2008
<quoted text>
The Rule of Three is a karmic teaching.
No.
Writing in Paradise

Waipahu, HI

#63 Jun 1, 2008
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
And this is why I need your definition of "karma".
Blond Prince

Chattanooga, TN

#64 Jun 1, 2008
The more of the bible people read, the more people realize it's a crock.

The bible is as much the words of a god as the quran, and most here would agree the quran (aka koran)is nothing but toilet paper. The bible is the same thing. Pure garbage. Throw it out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 11 min NotQuiter 226,047
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Mon TC_Tia 14,656
News Looking for a Pagan community in Kentucky? (Mar '12) Jul 4 Pam 11
News What is Asatru? (Dec '10) Jul 3 ex pagan 2
News Sorry Witches, You Won't Be Able to Buy Spells ... Jun 23 Drake_Burrwood 1
News Illogical Religious Positions? Jun 15 Looney Tunes 1
omens of dead animals (Aug '08) Jun 14 Davglix 107
More from around the web