Withdrawal of Bible Literacy Project ...

Withdrawal of Bible Literacy Project Endorsement

There are 116 comments on the www.nationalledger.com story from May 29, 2008, titled Withdrawal of Bible Literacy Project Endorsement. In it, www.nationalledger.com reports that:

Alabama State Senator Scott Beason has turned out to be the principal opponent of a new textbook, the Bible and Its Influence, backed by liberals for schools which want to teach about the Bible.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.nationalledger.com.

Since: Feb 08

King Of Prussia, PA

#25 May 30, 2008
In fact, my 16-yr old daughter is always complaining that there aren't many Pagans in her age group and she's right. The few kids who are Pagan are much younger than her. There are quite a few Pagan families in my area with little kids but no teens. The rest are all adults of all ages.

As for teaching the Bible in schools - I'm all for it so long as it's in the Religious schools only and NOT in the public schools.

“Aut disce aut discede! ”

Rural Mich.

#26 May 30, 2008
hey you wrote:
<quoted text>Tell me, why is it that seventyfive percent of the people in the U.S. call themselves Christian? Tell me why the churches across the nation are filling up on Sundays and now the new trend of Mega Churches, get real . Why were there thousands and thousands of people going to see the Pope and millions watched him on the TV? Tell me why there were a million at a Popes funeral shouting John Paul II the Great. Why are there thousands and thousands of people going to see Evangalists? Because they believe in the Word Of God. Also why were there millions of pagans being baptized in the name of Jesus? You are a lyer, just as your master the Evil One is, you want to deceive as many people as you can so they will turn away from Christ. Aint gonna work.
hey you, tell me why the fastest growing religion in america is wicca? Is it because america is growing out of blind obediance?
Writing in Paradise

Waipahu, HI

#27 May 30, 2008
This is just exactly like we've been saying all along. These christians don't want their bibles taught in scholarly or critical manner at all. We said they'd have a huge problem with teaching the bible with an attitude that it might not all be 100% true (as is demanded of ANY text in a school).

The only way they want the bible taught is as though it really is the "Word of God". Neato. Should we teach the koran and the wiccan rede with the same attitude? Who gets to decide which book gets the teacher's endorsement as "truth"? The teacher? I think not.

This is why books like the bible shouldn't be taught in a public school at all. Comparative religions classes are better, where each religion's doctrines are given a once-over, all with equal scrutiny.
Writing in Paradise

Waipahu, HI

#28 May 30, 2008
Tailkinker wrote:
<quoted text>hey you, tell me why the fastest growing religion in america is wicca? Is it because america is growing out of blind obediance?
It's because wicca is very similar to christianity, and is thus a good waypoint for those leaving the church but looking for something that at least feels somewhat familiar.
George

Seattle, WA

#29 May 30, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_Heine
This link will lead one to a philosopher whose writings are applicable to any attempt to ban books or subjects from our classrooms.
One of his statements goes something like this:

"Where ever they burn books, they will end up burning people".

Read it for yourselves.

Since: Jan 08

Mestre, Venezia - Italy

#30 May 31, 2008
hey you wrote:
<quoted text>You are very wrong, there are people, the vast majority believe in the word of God, with a capital G. Your so called religion is finite, believe in God, He loves you and will always be there for you. And whomever believes in Him will be in Paradise.
Well, the CIA Worldfacts Report indicates
"Christians 33.32%(of which Roman Catholics 16.99%, Protestants 5.78%, Orthodox 3.53%, Anglicans 1.25%), Muslims 21.01%, Hindus 13.26%, Buddhists 5.84%, Sikhs 0.35%, Jews 0.23%, Baha'is 0.12%, other religions 11.78%, non-religious 11.77%, atheists 2.32%(2007 est.)"
If you are focusing only U.S.A., please take note that United States population is about 1/20 of the world.
Thank you

Mestre, Venezia - Italy

#31 May 31, 2008
Writing in Paradise wrote:
<quoted text>
It's because wicca is very similar to christianity.
Are you really sure? As wiccan, I have no gospel, I have many gods and immanent divinity, no undisputed truth, and I celebrate the equality of the female and male. It's very hard to say they are very similar, there is no evidence.
Colonel Angus

Munster, IN

#32 May 31, 2008
Sounds like you've been nippin' on the Jack Daniels this evening.
hey you wrote:
<quoted text>You are very wrong, there are people, the vast majority believe in the word of God, with a capital G. Your so called religion is finite, believe in God, He loves you and will always be there for you. And whomever believes in Him will be in Paradise.
Colonel Angus

Munster, IN

#33 May 31, 2008
Why would anyone be interested in THAT "lifestyle choice"?
hey you wrote:
<quoted text>You are only finite if you want to be, believe in Christ and you will live forever.
Colonel Angus

Munster, IN

#34 May 31, 2008
The booze, ciggys and wild sex in your trailer park lifestyle havent caught up with you yet.
Ilona wrote:
<quoted text>
What a bunch of baloney!
I am 52, my husband 49, my late Aunt was in her 60's. A fad for kids, eh? You are so deluded.
Writing in Paradise

Waipahu, HI

#35 May 31, 2008
WiccaNews wrote:
<quoted text>Are you really sure? As wiccan, I have no gospel, I have many gods and immanent divinity, no undisputed truth, and I celebrate the equality of the female and male. It's very hard to say they are very similar, there is no evidence.
Prayer is virtually identical to ritual magick. Christianity teaches that man is fallen and needs to atone. Wicca teaches that man is ignorant and needs to reincarnate. Christianity has a triune, patriarchal god. Wicca has a dual-deity with two aspects. Christian extremists hate women. Wiccan extremists hate men. Christianity teaches that god punishes sinners. Wicca teaches that karma punishes evildoers. Christianity teaches that good christians will be rewarded by God. Wicca teaches that good wiccans will be rewarded by karma. Both christians and wiccans celebrate the solstices. Christians do a baptism. Wiccans do a wiccaning. Both religions have an initiation ceremony.

The similarities between wicca and christianity are endless. They're far more similar than opposite.

Mestre, Venezia - Italy

#36 May 31, 2008
<quoted text>
Prayer is virtually identical to ritual magick..... Both religions have an initiation ceremony.
The similarities between wicca and christianity are endless. They're far more similar than opposite.
Well, most of religions have prayers and initiation ceremonies. But the principles are quite different.
Your dualities between wicca and christianity are opposite or differences, not similarities.
Christianity do not celebrates solstices, anyway they have incorporated many Jewish and pagan cultural elements, and Wicca has a Rede, sometimes we refere to the Rule of Three, but no karma, that's Indic.
To hate men/woman is not a wiccan core belief.
But Christianity stated that man is Superior, see Bible 1st Corinthians 11,3 "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man..." and lately, very lately, Vatican Says Will Excommunicate Women Priests - link http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080529/lf_nm_lif...
Who is really wrong, and who is really right?

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#37 May 31, 2008
WiccaNews wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, most of religions have prayers and initiation ceremonies. But the principles are quite different.
Your dualities between wicca and christianity are opposite or differences, not similarities.
Christianity do not celebrates solstices, anyway they have incorporated many Jewish and pagan cultural elements, and Wicca has a Rede, sometimes we refere to the Rule of Three, but no karma, that's Indic.
But Christianity stated that man is Superior, see Bible 1st Corinthians 11,3 "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man..." and lately, very lately, Vatican Says Will Excommunicate Women Priests - link http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080529/lf_nm_lif...
Who is really wrong, and who is really right?
Good luck. I agree with you fully but attempting to change "writings" mind, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that it's wrong, is simply not worth the effort. He sees superficial similarities as "proof" and listens to no other source than himself.

ANOKA, MN

#38 May 31, 2008
For those to whom religion is just the trappings - the robes, incense, chanting, candles - the two would seem fairly similar.

“Trolls, the canker sores of”

Since: Jul 07

the internet.

#39 May 31, 2008
hey you wrote:
<quoted text>You are only finite if you want to be, believe in Christ and you will live forever.
My spirit will live forever no matter if I believe in your Christ or not.

“Trolls, the canker sores of”

Since: Jul 07

the internet.

#40 May 31, 2008
<quoted text>
Prayer is virtually identical to ritual magick. Christianity teaches that man is fallen and needs to atone. Wicca teaches that man is ignorant and needs to reincarnate. Christianity has a triune, patriarchal god. Wicca has a dual-deity with two aspects. Christian extremists hate women. Wiccan extremists hate men. Christianity teaches that god punishes sinners. Wicca teaches that karma punishes evildoers. Christianity teaches that good christians will be rewarded by God. Wicca teaches that good wiccans will be rewarded by karma. Both christians and wiccans celebrate the solstices. Christians do a baptism. Wiccans do a wiccaning. Both religions have an initiation ceremony.
Little do most people know the fundamentalists on either side have their good and bad points.
Of course Christianity has made the bigger splash, but Dianics who can be just as hardcore fundi and they as I have known(met plenty of them)hate men. They even refuse to have male gods in attendance in their ceremonies.

I will have to get back to this little confab later. I have to go to work now.

“Aut disce aut discede! ”

Rural Mich.

#41 May 31, 2008
<quoted text>
It's because wicca is very similar to christianity, and is thus a good waypoint for those leaving the church but looking for something that at least feels somewhat familiar.
I would respectfully disagree. I think that it is because Wicca suits human nature and makes sense scientifically.

Human nature requires a direct connection to the divine-not an intermediary connection. Human nature craves ritual-which although it has remained in some denominations has been stripped out of the majority of christian churches. Human nature craves a solidarity with our environment wicca gives that sense of oneness while christianity teachers that the Devil is the "Prince of the World" and the world must be transended.

Scientifically- christians bulk at any scientific discovery even ones that appear to be innocuis(sp?). Whereas Wicca sees science as being a way to learn more about the world and through the world the diety. As well science continually makes discoveries that affirm many wiccan beliefs. The energies and auras that we learn to direct are daily being brought to the realm of fact via our increasing technology. We are now able to see and measure energy fields that were only speculated upon before. We are learning that what was once "magic" is now explainable.

Americans in general are an independant people. We don't like blind obediance nor blind faith. Wicca due to its total lack of hierarchy and its call to learning and studying for yourself is a far more suitable religion for the american mind. America was founded by a desire for freedom of religion, a right for our people to worship God in our own fashion. Now christian denominations, when they are not busy tearing one another appart, are attempting to say that the religious freedom is only for christians and other "people of the book". But that is slowly changing and soon the fundies will relize what moderate christians already know-that america can only preserve the christian right to religion if it preserves everyone's right to religion.
Writing in Paradise

Waipahu, HI

#42 May 31, 2008
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Good luck. I agree with you fully but attempting to change "writings" mind, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that it's wrong, is simply not worth the effort. He sees superficial similarities as "proof" and listens to no other source than himself.
No, I see both religions from the outside, which gives me a less biased picture than yours.
Writing in Paradise

Waipahu, HI

#43 May 31, 2008
WiccaNews wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, most of religions have prayers and initiation ceremonies.
And many don't. Mine doesn't.
WiccaNews wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity do not celebrates solstices
Winter Solstice = Christmas. Spring Equinox = Easter.
WiccaNews wrote:
<quoted text>
anyway they have incorporated many Jewish and pagan cultural elements
Adding to the similarities, yes.
WiccaNews wrote:
<quoted text>
and Wicca has a Rede, sometimes we refere to the Rule of Three, but no karma, that's Indic.
That isn't true. The "Rule of Three" IS karma.
WiccaNews wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a core christian belief either.
WiccaNews wrote:
<quoted text>
But Christianity stated that man is Superior
And correspondingly, many wiccan sects prevent men from being clergy, and teach that the feminine is superior.
Writing in Paradise

Waipahu, HI

#44 May 31, 2008
Tailkinker wrote:
<quoted text>
I would respectfully disagree. I think that it is because Wicca suits human nature and makes sense scientifically.
No it doesn't. The Rule of Three, for example, is the exact opposite of making scientific sense.
Tailkinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Human nature requires a direct connection to the divine-not an intermediary connection.
No it doesn't. Atheists are quite happy without such a connection. Many christians are quite happy with an intermediary.
Tailkinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Human nature craves a solidarity with our environment
The state of our environment says otherwise.
Tailkinker wrote:
<quoted text>
wicca gives that sense of oneness while christianity teachers that the Devil is the "Prince of the World" and the world must be transended.
What you're leaving out is that wiccans are concentrated on the spirit side of this world as well, making it similar again.
Tailkinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientifically- christians bulk at any scientific discovery even ones that appear to be innocuis(sp?).
Except that most modern scientific advances have been made BY christians, which really throws a monkey wrench into that argument.
Tailkinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Whereas Wicca sees science as being a way to learn more about the world and through the world the diety.
So do most christians. Most scientists are christians.
Tailkinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Americans in general are an independant people. We don't like blind obediance nor blind faith.
And yet wiccans submit to karma, the Earth's will and reincarnation blindly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 10 min JOEL GEN Y 230,470
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 3 hr JustASkeptic 14,714
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... 15 hr thetruth 59
Doris w/ Spells4free Aug 25 Redd 1
News Looking for a Pagan community in Kentucky? (Mar '12) Aug 19 Dude 12
News Nigeria: Religion, morality and politics Aug 12 jinxi 1
omens of dead animals (Aug '08) Jul '15 skylar 108
More from around the web