Withdrawal of Bible Literacy Project Endorsement

May 29, 2008 | Posted by: WiccaNews | Full story: www.nationalledger.com

Alabama State Senator Scott Beason has turned out to be the principal opponent of a new textbook, the Bible and Its Influence, backed by liberals for schools which want to teach about the Bible.

Comments
1 - 20 of 116 Comments Last updated Jun 6, 2008
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Feb 08

ANOKA, MN

#1 May 30, 2008
There are too many people who are afraid to look at the judeo-christian bible as what it is - a book written by men. A giant hand didn't come out of the sky and drop the manuscript off. There was no holy dictaphone. It is a book - literature - and just because you have chosen to follow it as god's word doesn't mean that the rest of us cannot analyze it as a piece of literature.

For those whose lives are completely invested in the bible being the inerrant dictated word of god, it is a terrifying thing to be asked to consider it as anything else. What if you DO find out that it isn't what you've believed it is? Would your whole existance be invalidated? That kind of faith, for all it's strength, can actually be surprizingly fragile, because it can fall like a house of cards. The whole house is like a giant pyramid, built upside down upone one single card - that the bible is the inerrant word of god. And they will do their damndest to make sure that that card stays exactly where it is.

Those who have built their faith and beliefs on a broader base find that a good strong foundation helps keep things more steady, and as long as they make sure to shore up their foundation, it will weather any storm.

Since: Sep 07

Fort Myers, FL

#2 May 30, 2008
I rejoiced, thinking that this was a way for students to study religion in the Godless public schools. I endorsed the Project. Now that I have been made aware of what this Project is really about
He thought it was ok, so long as it was teaching a religion. hmmm

The text book points out the stuff that are objectionable. Which shows the blindness of the group who wanted this done. A honest text book is going to do that. DUH!
hey you

United States

#3 May 30, 2008
DaBroad wrote:
There are too many people who are afraid to look at the judeo-christian bible as what it is - a book written by men. A giant hand didn't come out of the sky and drop the manuscript off. There was no holy dictaphone. It is a book - literature - and just because you have chosen to follow it as god's word doesn't mean that the rest of us cannot analyze it as a piece of literature.
For those whose lives are completely invested in the bible being the inerrant dictated word of god, it is a terrifying thing to be asked to consider it as anything else. What if you DO find out that it isn't what you've believed it is? Would your whole existance be invalidated? That kind of faith, for all it's strength, can actually be surprizingly fragile, because it can fall like a house of cards. The whole house is like a giant pyramid, built upside down upone one single card - that the bible is the inerrant word of god. And they will do their damndest to make sure that that card stays exactly where it is.
Those who have built their faith and beliefs on a broader base find that a good strong foundation helps keep things more steady, and as long as they make sure to shore up their foundation, it will weather any storm.
You are very wrong, there are people, the vast majority believe in the word of God, with a capital G. Your so called religion is finite, believe in God, He loves you and will always be there for you. And whomever believes in Him will be in Paradise.

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#4 May 30, 2008
hey you wrote:
<quoted text>You are very wrong, there are people, the vast majority believe in the word of God, with a capital G. Your so called religion is finite, believe in God, He loves you and will always be there for you. And whomever believes in Him will be in Paradise.
False. The majority of the World doesn't believe in your bible, among those who Do believe the interpretation varies greatly. Your belief is also a religion, regardless of how you attempt to claim otherwise.

ANOKA, MN

#5 May 30, 2008
You are very wrong, there are people, the vast majority DON'T believe in the word of God, with a capital G.

She must have that same little paragraph on her clipboard that she pastes over and over. First she starts with the lovey-dovey stuff, then when you tell her to bug off 'cause your not interested she turns into a junkyard dog - just plain mean.

Reminds me of a sweet little old lady that used to come to a psych clinic I worked at. She was the most darling little thing, and we all loved scheduling her (she'd come in twice a week) and talking to her. She'd call us dear, tell us how wonderful and blessed we were, etc.

Then one day her doctor went on vacation out of the country and she couldn't talk to him for a couple weeks. In protest, she went off her meds. She called us constantly, first trying to sweetly cajole the doctor's hotel and contact info out of us...then when we told her no, she'd turn into the kid from The Exorcist - screaming you're evil, you're going to burn in hell, I'll put you in the oven myself,- and then, like a light switch, she'd try the sweet honeyed cajoling again. She ended up getting committed to the state hospital. Sad. Very sad.

“Reality = Playdough”

Since: Aug 07

Merced, CA

#6 May 30, 2008
hey you wrote:
<quoted text>You are very wrong, there are people, the vast majority believe in the word of God, with a capital G. Your so called religion is finite, believe in God, He loves you and will always be there for you. And whomever believes in Him will be in Paradise.
Ah missing the point as usual. I missed our little Fundy.

“Just call me Das. ”

Since: Jul 07

United States

#7 May 30, 2008
Okay, let's say for a moment that the Bible is inspired by God, just for the sake of argument.

If that's the case, it's still humans who were inspired to write it down, right?

And humans are finite, right?

Anything inspired in finite humans, even by an infinite deity, would have to be rendered finite by that deity to get it into the minds of those humans.

It would have to be inspired in a human language, for instance.

Human cultural contexts would have to be taken into account, as well as already existing, and very human, presuppositions about the nature of reality, ethics, and human nature itself.

So, even if the Bible is inspired by God, it is a finite and limited document, or, rather, set of documents, which would be quite contextual and limited indeed if it is to make any sense at all to humans.

And this makes it subject to interpretation.
hey you

United States

#8 May 30, 2008
DaBroad wrote:
You are very wrong, there are people, the vast majority DON'T believe in the word of God, with a capital G.
She must have that same little paragraph on her clipboard that she pastes over and over. First she starts with the lovey-dovey stuff, then when you tell her to bug off 'cause your not interested she turns into a junkyard dog - just plain mean.
Reminds me of a sweet little old lady that used to come to a psych clinic I worked at. She was the most darling little thing, and we all loved scheduling her (she'd come in twice a week) and talking to her. She'd call us dear, tell us how wonderful and blessed we were, etc.
Then one day her doctor went on vacation out of the country and she couldn't talk to him for a couple weeks. In protest, she went off her meds. She called us constantly, first trying to sweetly cajole the doctor's hotel and contact info out of us...then when we told her no, she'd turn into the kid from The Exorcist - screaming you're evil, you're going to burn in hell, I'll put you in the oven myself,- and then, like a light switch, she'd try the sweet honeyed cajoling again. She ended up getting committed to the state hospital. Sad. Very sad.
Tell me, why is it that seventyfive percent of the people in the U.S. call themselves Christian? Tell me why the churches across the nation are filling up on Sundays and now the new trend of Mega Churches, get real . Why were there thousands and thousands of people going to see the Pope and millions watched him on the TV? Tell me why there were a million at a Popes funeral shouting John Paul II the Great. Why are there thousands and thousands of people going to see Evangalists? Because they believe in the Word Of God. Also why were there millions of pagans being baptized in the name of Jesus? You are a lyer, just as your master the Evil One is, you want to deceive as many people as you can so they will turn away from Christ. Aint gonna work.
hey you

United States

#9 May 30, 2008
Dasein9 wrote:
Okay, let's say for a moment that the Bible is inspired by God, just for the sake of argument.
If that's the case, it's still humans who were inspired to write it down, right?
And humans are finite, right?
Anything inspired in finite humans, even by an infinite deity, would have to be rendered finite by that deity to get it into the minds of those humans.
It would have to be inspired in a human language, for instance.
Human cultural contexts would have to be taken into account, as well as already existing, and very human, presuppositions about the nature of reality, ethics, and human nature itself.
So, even if the Bible is inspired by God, it is a finite and limited document, or, rather, set of documents, which would be quite contextual and limited indeed if it is to make any sense at all to humans.
And this makes it subject to interpretation.
You are only finite if you want to be, believe in Christ and you will live forever.
hey you

United States

#10 May 30, 2008
< prev | Chapter 17 | next >

The description of the great harlot and of the beast upon which she sits.

1 And there came one of the seven angels, who had the seven vials, and spoke with me, saying: Come, I will show thee the condemnation of the great harlot, who sitteth upon many waters, 2 With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication; and they who inhabit the earth, have been made drunk with the whine of her whoredom. 3 And he took me away in spirit into the desert. And I saw a woman sitting upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. 4 And the woman was clothed round about with purple and scarlet, and gilt with gold, and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand, full of the abomination and filthiness of her fornication. 5 And on her forehead a name was written: A mystery; Babylon the great, the mother of the fornications, and the abominations of the earth.

5 "A mystery"... That is, a secret; because what follows of the name and title of the great harlot is to be taken in a mystical sense.

5 "Babylon"... Either the city of the devil in general; or, if this place be to be understood of any particular city, pagan Rome, which then and for three hundred years persecuted the church; and was the principal seat both of empire and idolatry.

6 And I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. And I wondered, when I had seen her, with great admiration. 7 And the angel said to me: Why dost thou wonder? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast which carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns. 8 The beast, which thou sawest, was, and is not, and shall come up out of the bottomless pit, and go into destruction: and the inhabitants on the earth (whose names are not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world) shall wonder, seeing the beast that was, and is not. 9 And here is the understanding that hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, upon which the woman sitteth, and they are seven kings: 10 Five are fallen, one is, and the other is not yet come: and when he is come, he must remain a short time.

8 "The beast which thou sawest"... This beast which supports Babylon, may signify the power of the devil: which was and is not, being much limited by the coming of Christ, but shall again exert itself under Antichrist. The seven heads of this beast are seven mountains or empires, instruments of his tyranny; of which five were then fallen.(See chap. 13. 1, and below, ver. 10.) The beast itself is said to be the eighth, and is of the seven; because they all act under the devil, and by his instigation, so that his power is in them all, yet so as to make up, as it were, an eighth empire, distinct from them all.
hey you

United States

#11 May 30, 2008
Prayer against Every Evil
Spirit of our God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, Most Holy Trinity, descend upon me. Please purify me, mold me, fill me with yourself, and use me. Banish all the forces of evil from me, destroy them, vanquish them so that I can be healthy and do good deeds.

Banish from me all spells, witchcraft, black magic, malefice, ties, maledictions, and the evil eye; diabolic infestations, oppressions, possessions; all that is evil and sinful; jealousy, perfidy, envy; and physical, psychological, moral, spiritual, and diabolical ailments.

I command and bid all the powers who molest me — by the power of God Almighty, in the name of Jesus Christ our Savior — to leave me forever, and to be consigned into the everlasting lake of fire, that they may never again touch me or any other creature in the entire world.

Denouncing the Occult
Heavenly Father, in the name of your only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, I denounce Satan and all his works; witchcraft, the use of divination, the practice of sorcery, dealings with mediums, the Ouija board, astrology, horoscopes, numerology, all types of fortune telling, palm readings, levitation, and anything associated with the occult or Satan. I denounce all of them in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ who came in the flesh and by the power of his cross, his blood and his resurrection, I break their hold over me.

I confess all these sins before you and ask you cleanse and forgive me. I confess with my mouth that Jesus Christ is the only Son of God, and ask you Lord Jesus to enter my heart and create in me the kind of person you have intended me to be. I ask you to send forth your Holy Spirit and baptize me with the gifts of your Spirit, just as you baptized your disciples on the day of Pentecost.

I thank you, Lord, according to the riches of your glory, for strengthening my inner-spirit, with the power of your Holy Spirit, so that Christ may dwell in my heart. Through faith, rooted and grounded in love, may I be able to comprehend with all the saints, the breadth, length, height, and depth of Christ’s love which surpasses all knowledge; in Jesus’ name, Amen.
Ralph

Saint Louis, MO

#12 May 30, 2008
I really don't know if I think teaching this is a good idea or not. However, I am most assuredly against teaching the Bible in the way that the religious folks would want. If they do that, I feel it is only right that the other faiths be included. Only problem with that is that teaching every faith in the U.S. would take up so much time that the basics like reading, writing, etc. would never be covered. Best solution is to keep religion out of schools and in the home where they belong. After all, if you begin teaching the Bible, how long before Muslims, Hindus, Wiccans, etc. will be suing to get their teachings into the school? Does anyone on the Right want that? Or haven't you thought any further than your nose?

ANOKA, MN

#13 May 30, 2008
See? What did I tell ya? Lovey-dovey, sanctimonious, then she starts with the cut-n-paste and then she gets downright nasty.

And the mega-church fad is fading - they're trying to find other uses for the buildings, including adding YMCA's. There's just so many times people will see the same ol' dog-n-pony show before they get bored with it. It's always been about keeping the people entertained. The only way religions can keep numbers up is to put on a good show, or to get people whipped up enough for them to stay frothy and faithful (example, all the anti-non-muslim demonstrations - sure to get people riled up). Once upon a time, masks and smoke, light and sound effects were used to captivate the audience. Now, it's big-screen TVs and rock bands.
hey you

United States

#14 May 30, 2008
I really think you need to see reality here. There is no way a pagan religion is mainstream in the U.S.. Christianity is seventy five per cent of people or even more than that. Besisdes i trust in Jesus, Jesus said His Church will never be destroyed. Also did you know that Christians and their good works help people like yourself? Without us the poor would not get fed etc. I see that you are in big denial. You still did not explain all the Christians who watched the arrival of the pope on T.V. and in person. Also the million or so and the millions who watched on tv who went to the funeral of Pope John Paul II the Great. Also the millions of pagans turning to Christ and being baptized in His Holy Name. Christ has died , Christ has risen and Christ will come again!!!! Trust in Jesus!
hey you

United States

#15 May 30, 2008
Also YOUR so called religion is thought of a fad for disgruntled young kids . the kids turn back to Christ after a while.

“A Proud Gay Parent”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#16 May 30, 2008
hey you wrote:
I really think you need to see reality here. There is no way a pagan religion is mainstream in the U.S.. Christianity is seventy five per cent of people or even more than that. Besisdes i trust in Jesus, Jesus said His Church will never be destroyed. Also did you know that Christians and their good works help people like yourself? Without us the poor would not get fed etc. I see that you are in big denial. You still did not explain all the Christians who watched the arrival of the pope on T.V. and in person. Also the million or so and the millions who watched on tv who went to the funeral of Pope John Paul II the Great. Also the millions of pagans turning to Christ and being baptized in His Holy Name. Christ has died , Christ has risen and Christ will come again!!!! Trust in Jesus!
You're confusing being Christian with being Religous. How many more poor would be fed if the "pastors" of these mega-churches didn't rake in all the money to buy their million dollar homes and Mercedes. Have you ever been to a church service where a major portion of it wasn't about collecting money? How many times have you seen a Lexus with the fish emblem speeding down the street, breaking the laws of the land? I've seen it a lot of times. So, you can talk all you want about 75% being Christian. Playing the part doesn't make it real. Now, the minister who stayed behind in New Orleans after Katrina and used all his own money to buy food and water for the survivors - that's a real Christian. When was the last time you did something like that?

Since: Sep 07

Fort Myers, FL

#17 May 30, 2008
hey you wrote:
<quoted text>Tell me, why is it that seventyfive percent of the people in the U.S. call themselves Christian?
Cultural answer. It means they come from a family that identify with the Christina religion. Not that they practice it, etc. Many who do are not anything, but born from such a family,claim to be Christian, until they choose the path they wish to follow.
Tell me why the churches across the nation are filling up on Sundays and now the new trend of Mega Churches, get real .
Actually, I'm hearing about a drought in the churches. with much talk about how to get folks to come and attend. The Mega Churches is are wolves in sheep's clothing. Don't get me started on the TV Preachers. Their god is Money, greed and power. They use Christianity as a told to worship their god.
Why were there thousands and thousands of people going to see the Pope and millions watched him on the TV? Tell me why there were a million at a Popes funeral shouting John Paul II the Great.

Why did so many watch Charles and Diane's wedding? Cause it is history in the making. It's pomp and all that. Also, one can be of a different religion and still respect the man, if he is worthy of such respect.
Why are there thousands and thousands of people going to see Evangalists? Because they believe in the Word Of God.

They are going to see a TV Star. For some reasons, that means a person is more special.
Also why were there millions of pagans being baptized in the name of Jesus?
Really? You started out saying that 75% of all Americans claim to be Christian. So these millions are coming from that 25%?? Shouldn't the percentage be changing??? If all these millions are being baptized, then at some point we should have 100%. But we do not. Your spouting BS. Lot of the baptisimes are folks being re-baptised. Going from one christian faith to a different one.

The sad part about you making these statements here is.. that alot of pagans started out as Christians. Both the kind that was just born in a christen family and those that where baptisted into the Christian faith. Such folks tend to know more about Christianity and the Bible, then alot of folks who claim to be Christian.

Don't you find that SAD?? I do. I find it shameful.

ANOKA, MN

#19 May 30, 2008
See? She just gets meaner and meaner. I think she thrives on meanness. And she's probably just sweet as a peach to folks faces. They'd probably never imagine in a thousand years the sort of things she puts on the 'net.

Oh, and the Pope's visit? Brought down the ratings on all the stations that broadcast it. Check with Nielsen or any of the other broadcast number crunchers. People turned of their tv's in droves.

“Reality = Playdough”

Since: Aug 07

Merced, CA

#23 May 30, 2008
hey you wrote:
I really think you need to see reality here.
If you wont then why should anyone else?
There is no way a pagan religion is mainstream in the U.S..
The nice thing about our country is you don't have to be mainstream to have rights. But hay more folk like you in government should get that pesky Bill of Rights rid of right?
Christianity is seventy five per cent of people or even more than that.
So 25%, thats 76,052,290 people, is a fad these days. Wow!
Besisdes i trust in Jesus, Jesus said His Church will never be destroyed.
Here is some news for ya; NO ONE IS TRYING TO DESTROY YOUR FAITH. The Bill of Rights that protects me also protects you and every other faith.
Also did you know that Christians and their good works help people like yourself? Without us the poor would not get fed etc.
And to those who selflessly do good works I thank. I need to point out that many pagans also try to help their fellow humanity too.
I see that you are in big denial.
I deny that.
You still did not explain all the Christians who watched the arrival of the pope on T.V. and in person.Also the million or so and the millions who watched on tv who went to the funeral of Pope John Paul II the Great.
Uh... why should we? Millions watched Nixon leave office. Millions watched the Apollo 11 landing. So I ask this; SO?
Also the millions of pagans turning to Christ and being baptized in His Holy Name. Christ has died , Christ has risen and Christ will come again!!!! Trust in Jesus!
Prove those numbers and I can find numbers of those that went pagan.

Mount Sinai, NY

#24 May 30, 2008
hey you wrote:
Also YOUR so called religion is thought of a fad for disgruntled young kids . the kids turn back to Christ after a while.
What a bunch of baloney!
I am 52, my husband 49, my late Aunt was in her 60's. A fad for kids, eh? You are so deluded.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 56 min Shamma 201,321
SHADOW PEOPLE... i need help (May '07) Aug 25 Only1Likeme212 347
Speaking of religion: Pagans stir a fuss in Beebe Aug 25 Ernie 117
Pagan community northern kentucky? (Nov '12) Aug 25 scorpion123 27
Reagan appointee sides with Wiccans: NM town mu... Aug 20 Kathwynn 5
Looking for a Pagan community in Kentucky? (Mar '12) Aug 13 Lady shay 8
Satanists Unveil Design for Statehouse Statue (Jan '14) Aug 9 Kathwynn 11
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••