Fox News Attacks Wiccans

Fox News Attacks Wiccans

There are 24 comments on the mediamatters.org story from Feb 17, 2013, titled Fox News Attacks Wiccans. In it, mediamatters.org reports that:

The hosts of Fox & Friends Sunday attacked the Wiccan religion, discounting its adherents as either Dungeons & Dragons players or "middle-aged, twice-divorced" women who "like a lot of incense." On the February 17 edition of the show, hosts Tucker Carlson, Anna Kooiman, and Clayton Morris discussed a story about the University of Missouri including ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at mediamatters.org.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#1 Feb 17, 2013
And Again, it's FOX, the National Enquirer has a better reputation as a reliable and accurate news source.
Dren

Rochester, MN

#2 Feb 17, 2013
So, freedom of religion is Ok as lon as it is their religion?
Eidh Lyn

Franklinville, NC

#3 Feb 17, 2013
Why is the original story gone??
Debi Appleton

Kingston, PA

#4 Feb 17, 2013
Starhawk

Casselberry, FL

#5 Feb 17, 2013
They left out "fat, middle aged guys looking to get laid"...
Terri M

Lawrence, MA

#6 Feb 17, 2013
The loudest oponents of my Wiccan lifestyle are the ones that are the most ignorant of my beliefs and practices. Wicca predates Christianity and many of the rites have been borrowed from the Wiccans and reorganized to suit their own needs. They should educate themselves regarding the nature and naturalist religion of Wicca before they spout off and look like fools!
Airmid

Tacoma, WA

#7 Feb 17, 2013
Consider the source.....
Kelly

Des Moines, IA

#8 Feb 17, 2013
Yet another great example as to why I hate this show! Have not been able to trust their info since 9-11
Jenna

Brockton, MA

#9 Feb 17, 2013
Terri M wrote:
The loudest oponents of my Wiccan lifestyle are the ones that are the most ignorant of my beliefs and practices. Wicca predates Christianity and many of the rites have been borrowed from the Wiccans and reorganized to suit their own needs. They should educate themselves regarding the nature and naturalist religion of Wicca before they spout off and look like fools!
Wicca is actually a relatively new religion. But it is based on paganism, which does predate Christianity. I agree with everything else though.(We have to keep our facts straight or they'll use it against us.) Blessed Be!:)
Paula

Abilene, TX

#10 Feb 17, 2013
I agree with Jenna. Her facts are correct.
Sarah

Steelville, MO

#11 Feb 17, 2013
Terri M wrote:
Well, I agree with the first part of your statement, but Wicca does not predate Christianity. The Wiccan religion was created by a man named Gerald Gardener in the 1950's after the ban on Witchcraft was lifted. But, you are on the right track...many of the beliefs in the Wiccan religion do stem from ancient belief systems such as Celtic Shamanism, Druidism etc. But no, Wicca absolutely does not predate Christianity...only the ideals behind it.:)
Lisa Newton

Longview, WA

#12 Feb 17, 2013
Terri M wrote:
Well said, Blessed Be!!
Nivasi

Meadville, PA

#13 Feb 17, 2013
Eidh Lyn wrote:
FEAR & Censorship
Jennifer Bogard

Franklin, KY

#14 Feb 18, 2013
FOX news has gone downhill. I quit watching mainstream media a long time ago. I got tired of the lies, biased reporting, and untruths. For someone to attack another religion or belief system just shows their ignorance. I am a proud Wiccan. I love nature and animals and my fellow human beings, which is a lot more than some other religions that shall not be named.
Chris

United States

#15 Feb 18, 2013
Jenna wrote:
<quoted text>
Wicca is actually a relatively new religion. But it is based on paganism, which does predate Christianity. I agree with everything else though.(We have to keep our facts straight or they'll use it against us.) Blessed Be!:)
Thank you for correcting the previous comment, gotta keep the facts straight.
Darke

New York, NY

#16 Feb 18, 2013
Terri M wrote:
Wicca doesn't predate Christianity. It's about 80 years old and stems from the Golden Dawn. It's posts like these that make the rest of us pagans look like jackasses.
Starhawk

Casselberry, FL

#17 Feb 18, 2013
Gerald Gardner lifted almost everything from outer order of The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn/Rosicrucianism, and Crowleyan OTO with a lot of old sounding language and fairy tales rolled in.
Shadow

Parkville, MD

#18 Feb 18, 2013
Before we all get our broomsticks in a bunch, we need to realize this is media sensationalism not a great news story. As a pagan myself, of Native American roots, I am glad that the university is allowing the professors to decide how they want to schedule their tests and other things around the holidays. Not all of our holidays are all demanding of our time. Unlike many Jewish or Muslim holidays that require the believer to fast and meditate the entire day until sunset, our holidays simply allow us to worship as we see fit to worship. On Samhain (Halloween for those who don't know) I spend a bit of time reflecting on those who have gone before me but then I have three children who want to go on the hunt for that free sugar (which they never eat anyway!) so I focus on the new life before me and enjoy my life. Rather than focus on the wrong information here, we should do as much as we can to educate those around us so the next time uneducated news reporters come on television, we can collectively shut them down with our knowledge!
Shadow

Parkville, MD

#19 Feb 18, 2013
Not to mention, trying to find the original video on their site, it's already been removed. I think they understand how hateful that news story made them look. As for the first guy's comment about there being more Zoroastrians than Wiccans I highly doubt that he even knows what Zoroastrians believe in either!
Tinion Daye

Memphis, TN

#20 Feb 18, 2013
Eidh Lyn wrote:
the reason the ORIGINAL story is gone is because of the backlash they recieved from the wiccan community. from what i am already hearing.... heads may roll for their little screw-up. i am wiccan myself, and, yes, i took offense to how we were portrayed !!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 15 hr Eagle 12 - 4,965
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) Dec 7 Mr goody two shoes 256,266
News Looking for a Pagan community in Kentucky? (Mar '12) Dec 3 Nope 17
News Poland's bishops say Halloween is harmful, pagan (Oct '12) Oct '17 Kim 21
can spells be done in the daytime? (Sep '06) Oct '17 Scarlet Hernandez 7
News Curtis Brown column: Trick-or-Treat not to ever... (Oct '10) Oct '17 RationalChick 11
News Out of the Broom Closet: DC Witches in Their Ow... Oct '17 Hajinon 1
More from around the web