US Supreme Court ruling faovrs prayer at council meeting

May 5, 2014 Full story: NorthJersey.com 33

The Supreme Court said Monday that prayers that open town council meetings do not violate the Constitution even if they routinely stress Christianity.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#24 May 6, 2014
Eleanor wrote:
That's right!!
The separation of church and state is specifically that CONGRESS shall make no laws regarding religion.
So, if at your town meetings, you want to murmer a few words to Abraham, or Allah or Jesus or the devil himself, people are free to do so.
Now if you don't like how they open your town council meetings, you are free to make a suggestion about it or, vote the council members out at the next election or move to an area that is more suitable to you personal beliefs.
You can bet it would be banned if the majority of the prayers WERE to Allah or the Devil.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#25 May 6, 2014
Just another example of the Christian majority forcing their will on everyone else.

I had to slam my door on yet another religious freak today. Why do these nutjobs think anyone wants to listen to their nonsense? I don't go door-to-door trying to convince people their fairytale sky-god creature is just a myth.

I need to put up a stronger electric fence; maybe some claymores....

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#26 May 6, 2014
Eleanor wrote:
That's right!!
The separation of church and state is specifically that CONGRESS shall make no laws regarding religion.
So, if at your town meetings, you want to murmer a few words to Abraham, or Allah or Jesus or the devil himself, people are free to do so.
Now if you don't like how they open your town council meetings, you are free to make a suggestion about it or, vote the council members out at the next election or move to an area that is more suitable to you personal beliefs.
1) "Congress shall make no law regarding religion..." So when Congress declared that there IS a god, and ONLY one god, and that we all have a particular relationship with that god... you agree that those actions of Congress and signed into law were unconstitutional?

2) This is not a case where individuals are murmuring their own prayers to their deity for themselves before a government function.(That is clearly constitutionally protected) This is a public statement on behalf of all and usually asking for 'guidance' as the officials go about OUR business. The Constitution is the highest authority any government official or entity can rely on. For the government, there is nothing or anyone or being above the Constitution.

3) Kennedy included language that the actions of the government or thru the actual prayer could not denigrate those with differing faiths and beliefs. So when someone seeks to have a non-mainstream prayer, those selecting the prayer-giver would run afoul of the ruling by denying the request. When that prayer turns out to be Muslim, you'll have no problem with it? How about Wiccan? Would Reform Druid be okay? This prayer would be for you too as a fellow citizen in the community.

4) Kennedy referred to 'ceremonial deism' as a justification for his ruling. Please point out where that phrase occurs in the Constitution. I cannot find the concept even remotely alluded to in the document. Kennedy, Roberts, Scalia, Thomas and Alito must be 'activist judges' creating something not found in the 'plain language' of the Constitution.

5) If you wish to live in a theocracy, there are many other countries that may meet your needs.

“Groooovin'”

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#27 May 6, 2014
AIN'T nothing NEW..way back WHEN Town Meetings Began with a Prayer!!

The POINT is are ya..GONNA put the HEAVY on GOD..if the BUDGET doesn't PASS???.
General care

Noblesville, IN

#28 May 6, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I'm "Waiting For God", Samuel Beckett - o.
;-000h, is dat yo joke Wolf!! ;-000
Eleanor

Mundelein, IL

#29 May 7, 2014
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
1) "Congress shall make no law regarding religion..." So when Congress declared that there IS a god, and ONLY one god, and that we all have a particular relationship with that god... you agree that those actions of Congress and signed into law were unconstitutional?
2) This is not a case where individuals are murmuring their own prayers to their deity for themselves before a government function.(That is clearly constitutionally protected) This is a public statement on behalf of all and usually asking for 'guidance' as the officials go about OUR business. The Constitution is the highest authority any government official or entity can rely on. For the government, there is nothing or anyone or being above the Constitution.
3) Kennedy included language that the actions of the government or thru the actual prayer could not denigrate those with differing faiths and beliefs. So when someone seeks to have a non-mainstream prayer, those selecting the prayer-giver would run afoul of the ruling by denying the request. When that prayer turns out to be Muslim, you'll have no problem with it? How about Wiccan? Would Reform Druid be okay? This prayer would be for you too as a fellow citizen in the community.
4) Kennedy referred to 'ceremonial deism' as a justification for his ruling. Please point out where that phrase occurs in the Constitution. I cannot find the concept even remotely alluded to in the document. Kennedy, Roberts, Scalia, Thomas and Alito must be 'activist judges' creating something not found in the 'plain language' of the Constitution.
5) If you wish to live in a theocracy, there are many other countries that may meet your needs.
Wiccan, Druid, Christian, Muslim. There are MANY religions and we all have the freedom to believe as we wish.

America is so complex, no one would be able to agree on a Theocracy.

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#30 May 7, 2014
Eleanor wrote:
<quoted text>
Wiccan, Druid, Christian, Muslim. There are MANY religions and we all have the freedom to believe as we wish.
America is so complex, no one would be able to agree on a Theocracy.
So if we cannot agree, why inflict religion on the rest of the citizens through governmental actions? Why not leave it totally in the hands of individuals where it belongs, and not in our city board meetings, the legislatures and our courts. I'm not the one advocating that government meetings start with a prayer.
Eleanor

Mundelein, IL

#31 May 7, 2014
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
So if we cannot agree, why inflict religion on the rest of the citizens through governmental actions? Why not leave it totally in the hands of individuals where it belongs, and not in our city board meetings, the legislatures and our courts. I'm not the one advocating that government meetings start with a prayer.
<LOL> City board meetings need all the help they can get. Maybe if they believe in some kind of 'higher power' they won't be acting foolishly.

There is nothing that says they MUST open their meetings that way. If they feel like doing it, then nothing should prevent them.

If, however, they wish to make a human sacrifice prior to the meeting, then there are other laws to stop them.

Prayer isn't necessarily 'religion'. No one is telling anyone to fast or abstain from sex or donate money to THEIR church. Prayer is the simple act of reaching out to a 'higher power' for guidance.

If someone doesn't believe in a 'higher power', then those prayer words would be falling on deaf ears anyway.

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#32 May 7, 2014
Eleanor wrote:
<LOL> City board meetings need all the help they can get. Maybe if they believe in some kind of 'higher power' they won't be acting foolishly.
There is nothing that says they MUST open their meetings that way. If they feel like doing it, then nothing should prevent them.
If, however, they wish to make a human sacrifice prior to the meeting, then there are other laws to stop them.
Prayer isn't necessarily 'religion'. No one is telling anyone to fast or abstain from sex or donate money to THEIR church. Prayer is the simple act of reaching out to a 'higher power' for guidance.
If someone doesn't believe in a 'higher power', then those prayer words would be falling on deaf ears anyway.
It is those city board members that believe in a higher power and feel the need to invoke their deity that are the ones that tend to enact foolish laws and laws that are enacted to tell others how they should lead their lives.

Prayer isn't a religious act?!? Yeah, the non-religious amongst us are the ones foisting their prayers upon others.

And you and the five on the court don't get it. Government is there for ALL of us, not just those that hold a religious belief. And any and all prayers (there can never be anything called non-sectarian) necessarily exclude some of the citizens government is supposed to serve.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#33 May 7, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>which god? the proven false one of the bible?
allah? oh yeah, they are the same proven false god...you kneel to the same god as the muzzies, pal...how foolish do you look?!?!?
cults are funny!
Thor, since we know that He is real. After all, when was the last time you even heard of a village being raided by giants. See? PROOF that Thor is real!

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#34 May 7, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Just another example of the Christian majority forcing their will on everyone else.
I had to slam my door on yet another religious freak today. Why do these nutjobs think anyone wants to listen to their nonsense? I don't go door-to-door trying to convince people their fairytale sky-god creature is just a myth.
I need to put up a stronger electric fence; maybe some claymores....
Ah, man... I never get any of these types at my door. I did have a Mormon couple come once, but that was almost 20 years ago. I spent over half an hour preaching to them.:)

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#35 May 7, 2014
Atheists =0
Christians =1
One BIG one.
I bet atheists everywhere are shaking their little fists at GOD right now,
General care

Noblesville, IN

#36 May 7, 2014
Eighthman wrote:
Atheists =0
Christians =1
One BIG one.
I bet atheists everywhere are shaking their little fists at GOD right now,
GOD grande original delimay? ;-00

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 22 min Alex WM 205,665
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 8 hr thetruth 14,438
Satanists Unveil Design for Statehouse Statue (Jan '14) Sat buckwheat 12
Student expelled for casting a spell (Jan '14) Sat Stay6c 6
Is reincarnation real?? (Feb '11) Nov 15 holysupremacy 70
Looking to correspond with Pagan's Nov 12 GordonM 1
drawing with pen Nov 11 scribbles 1

Pagan/Wiccan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE