US Supreme Court ruling faovrs prayer...

US Supreme Court ruling faovrs prayer at council meeting

There are 33 comments on the NorthJersey.com story from May 5, 2014, titled US Supreme Court ruling faovrs prayer at council meeting. In it, NorthJersey.com reports that:

The Supreme Court said Monday that prayers that open town council meetings do not violate the Constitution even if they routinely stress Christianity.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NorthJersey.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Eleanor

Vernon Hills, IL

#1 May 5, 2014
That's right!!

The separation of church and state is specifically that CONGRESS shall make no laws regarding religion.

So, if at your town meetings, you want to murmer a few words to Abraham, or Allah or Jesus or the devil himself, people are free to do so.

Now if you don't like how they open your town council meetings, you are free to make a suggestion about it or, vote the council members out at the next election or move to an area that is more suitable to you personal beliefs.
Sterkfontein Swartkrans

Pennington, NJ

#2 May 5, 2014
I wasn't aware that a majority of the justices were members of the vatican cult!! Scary!!
Your Ex

Versailles, IN

#3 May 5, 2014
Oh Invisible New-Testament (not Old-Testament, that guy was a dick) White-Bearded White-Skinned White-Robed Sky Wizard, bless this forum and all who post on it.
Every single one of them.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#4 May 5, 2014
Sterkfontein Swartkrans wrote:
I wasn't aware that a majority of the justices were members of the vatican cult!! Scary!!
wow..THAT was stupid...even by your standards

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#5 May 5, 2014
and today's score....
god 1
left wing losers 0

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#6 May 5, 2014
God has nothing to do with any of this bullshit. Trying to fight this ruling is about as likely to succeed as removing the "god" reference from our currency.

I don't support prayer in council meetings, but neither do I strongly oppose it. This kind of stuff is entrenched in America's consciousness. If it soothes some people, fine. For others, try to ignore it. Maybe some day America will grow up.
INFIDEL

Socorro, NM

#7 May 5, 2014
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"... That's it. That's all the Constitution says on the matter of religion.

The purpose of the amendment was to ensure that our nation never had an "official religion" like the C. of E. in England. The intent was to guarantee religious freedom not to ban religion. Extremist freaks have hallucinated constitutional separation of church and state to the point that the law now does the exact opposite of what it was intended to do. How does a guarantee of religious freedom get perverted to the point that it bans any public religious activity. This case had no merit from day 1. Thanks to the SCOTUS for putting this stupidity to bed (for now...).

Petal Power

“It's a New Dawn”

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#8 May 5, 2014
WHAT??? WHOOOO IS BROWN NOSING WHOOO?? WAS IT...the Obama's WHO turned away..Billy Graham..from PRAYER Day..praying in the WH?? PLEASE correct me if I am WRONG!! SO ya know the OTHER religions are GONNA get TICKED OFF if THEY are NOT included!!

Location hidden

#9 May 5, 2014
INFIDEL wrote:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"... That's it. That's all the Constitution says on the matter of religion.
The purpose of the amendment was to ensure that our nation never had an "official religion" like the C. of E. in England. The intent was to guarantee religious freedom not to ban religion. Extremist freaks have hallucinated constitutional separation of church and state to the point that the law now does the exact opposite of what it was intended to do. How does a guarantee of religious freedom get perverted to the point that it bans any public religious activity. This case had no merit from day 1. Thanks to the SCOTUS for putting this stupidity to bed (for now...).
What you say is interesting. The same statement you quote also strongly implies the right to be non-religious. Of course the first amendment goes on to address freedom of speech ad freedom of assembly. It also adds wording about freedom to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

This last "freedom" in the amendment seems to allow protest against prayer in a government institution. This is where I think the matter gets a bit confusing. If I am a non-religious person, and I enter an official government meeting, is it my right to protest the prayer I'm being asked to experience? That goes to petitioning the government for redressing of my grievance. Suppose I choose to outshout the prayer with my own protestation. Wouldn't that go to freedom of speech? I think the issue is far more complex than you suggest.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#10 May 5, 2014
INFIDEL wrote:
shouldn't people show up to work ready to work and take care of their personal business on their own dime?

the purpose of the amendement was as described by jefferson in his "wall of separation" letter

the fact that this actually made it tot the Supreme court shows that US citizens are getting tired of these ridiculous cults infiltrating our public life.

keep the cults in your homes and tax subsidized houses of worship where they belong...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#12 May 5, 2014
Eighthman wrote:
LOL
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
God Bless the USA.......FOREVER
And Obama stinks.
which god? the proven false one of the bible?

allah? oh yeah, they are the same proven false god...you kneel to the same god as the muzzies, pal...how foolish do you look?!?!?

cults are funny!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#15 May 5, 2014
Eighthman wrote:
LOL
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
God Bless the USA.......FOREVER
And Obama stinks.
In Frederich Engles I trust

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#16 May 5, 2014
oops typo 'Engels'

“Proud to be a Wiccan Priest”

Since: Jul 09

Jonesboro AR

#17 May 5, 2014
carey529 wrote:
and today's score....
god 1
left wing losers 0
No today was

christian right wing fools: 1

Constitution: 0

Happy now..
General care

Greenfield, IN

#18 May 5, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
God has nothing to do with any of this bullshit. Trying to fight this ruling is about as likely to succeed as removing the "god" reference from our currency.
I don't support prayer in council meetings, but neither do I strongly oppose it. This kind of stuff is entrenched in America's consciousness. If it soothes some people, fine. For others, try to ignore it. Maybe some day America will grow up.
ruling faovrs!! the Robotopix is missed smelling;-00h, what do U think about God?!!! it"s all aboot ( In God U Trustee )!!! ;-000h, U Got God?;-000
General care

Greenfield, IN

#19 May 5, 2014
swedenforever wrote:
oops typo 'Engels'
Indy, U sell (in god you trust) licensed play for a few buck?? ;-00
General care

Greenfield, IN

#20 May 5, 2014
Kathwynn wrote:
<quoted text>
No today was
christian right wing fools: 1
Constitution: 0
Happy now..
Gooooooooooooood9 vs. God;-00000h, back to the Y House!! that was appointment the Court!!! ;-00
General care

Greenfield, IN

#21 May 5, 2014
mov on kids! God was deadth yr ago! ;-00

Location hidden

#22 May 5, 2014
General care wrote:
<quoted text>
ruling faovrs!! the Robotopix is missed smelling;-00h, what do U think about God?!!! it"s all aboot ( In God U Trustee )!!! ;-000h, U Got God?;-000
I'm "Waiting For God", Samuel Beckett - o.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#23 May 5, 2014
So let me get this straight.

Those that support this ruling will be perfectly fine when demands that other prayers start the meeting and it turns out to be a Wiccan prayer... you'll be perfectly happy with that prayer representing you? Or lets keep it mainstream, a Muslim prayer.... okay with you? How about Reform Druid (from a M*A*S*H episode) prayer? All and every prayer to any and all gods will be okay with you?

I think not!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 33 min Frijoles 255,965
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Dec 3 Eagle 12 4,907
omens of dead animals (Aug '08) Nov 25 Jillifitz 115
News Paganism no better than Atheism (May '10) Nov 17 Amused 30
News Why All Jews Should Hate Halloween - And So Sho... Oct '16 Hecate 1
Beauty spell worked last year but not anymore Oct '16 Prettyicy 1
Wiccan Coven Secrets Anyone? Oct '16 Julius the Jules 1
More from around the web