Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 603098 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#391579 Sep 26, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
And, separated from God..
AMEN.

Location hidden

#391580 Sep 26, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you are. So become a Priest or minister and hide from yourself.
You class me sick and abominable because I disagree with lesbianism? WOW! And to think I used to stand up for you...
Free Mind

Orlando, FL

#391581 Sep 26, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting.
If I don't feally want to bother with you, as I don't think you are making a serious query, I am "diverting."
but If I try taking it seriously, you mock the attempt to "give you a list of dogma," you mock the attempt.
But ... isn't this what you asked for?
I think my i itial impression was correct. You are not making a serious query, and my time would be better spent replying to someone else.
God bless you.
Rob
Allow me to clarify once again...

In defense of the "one-true" claim I believe, you and/or others state that certain RCC dogma is unchangeable and has never been changed.

I give examples of changes in what I believe is "unchangeable dogma," but then the counter-argument becomes "that is not such an RCC dogma, that is doctrine," or whatever.

So for clarification, I ask for an official Church listing of this ultra important, unchangeable or infallible dogma -- so I have a chance to address the claim head on.

I'm sorry, but everyone has an opinion of what this dogma is, but no one seems to have an official listing -- of the most important dogma in the RCC. Strange!

It is very telling that simple and obvious questions are termed "hostile." I believe it's only that way because you don't find the answer comfortable.

Location hidden

#391582 Sep 26, 2012
Orville wrote:
<quoted text>
Thus is sin brother....." Sick. Abominable."
her sin is no greater than mine nor your's.
Romans 3:....
9. What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;
10As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
11There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
12They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
13Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
14Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
15Their feet are swift to shed blood:
16Destruction and misery are in their ways:
17And the way of peace have they not known:
18There is no fear of God before their eyes.
19Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
21But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Orville, I never claimed to be sinless. But lesbianism and homosexuality ARE abominations, as the Bible clearly tells us.

Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
Free Mind

Orlando, FL

#391583 Sep 26, 2012
JUST-A-CHRISTIAN wrote:
<quoted text>
You class me sick and abominable because I disagree with lesbianism? WOW! And to think I used to stand up for you...
Everyone wants to put words in the mouths of others.

Please show me where I classed you "sick and abominable."

The truth is I never wrote anything like that. If you want to address my actual statement, I'll back it up with links.
harvey

Monessen, PA

#391584 Sep 26, 2012
The Vatican is full of shyt as usual. The Catholics are primarily liberal azzwipes who supported and continue to support Obama. The priest, Bishops and cardinals have a long history of homosexual activity and preying on young boys. They take money from the poor people who seek Gods forgiveness unaware they do not need some charlatan who presides at the alter sucking the very blood from these people. The Catholics are VAMPIRES and they are LIBERALS. The Catholics nor any other religion is recognized by GOD!
Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#391585 Sep 26, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
?
Back to my original statement -- giving you a concrete historical example of a change in top-level dogma. You cited the Nicene Creed, so I quoted from the early version: "we acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins..."
Sigh.

Okay.

You have no idea how much I would simply like to shrug and have done with you.

Okay.

I'll try to put it under the category of "dying to self."

Okay.

Maybe we have a misunderstanding of phrasing here.

Are you somehow under the impression that "we acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins" (which is the example you cite) somehow refers to "one baptism, such as Catholic, as opposed to some other baptism, such as Protestant?"

Perhaps you will not believe me, but I have never heard it being read that way.

Rather, that the Church acknowledges one instance of baptism for the forgiveness of sins, but not a second one.

One of the effects of baptism (you could say, I suppose that I am stating this as "fact." Lest's take it as a given that we are discussing matters of "faith." By definition, this means they are not proven. I take it as fact, but you do not. Okay. I don't really think we could get anywhere by quibbling.)

I'll just start the paragraph over.

One of the effects of baptism is the forgiveness of sin. A catechumen (one who is entering the Church, usually atthe Easter Vigil) who is receiving baptism does not have to receive the Sacrament of Reconcilliation ("go to confession"), because ney are being baptised for the very first time.

A convert, on the other hand, would have to go to confession. But NOT because we do not recognize their baptism, but because we DO.

If we didn't, they would be baptized on their entry into the Church, and not need to go to confession.

The problem cannot be solved by baptizing the person a second time, as baptism is only received validly ONE time (As with confirmation, ONE time only, and with Holy Orders, well, that's more complicated. Let's just say I can only be validly ordained a priest ONE time. It is non-repeatable. You could call me on a technical foul, re diaconate or episcopacy, but let's not. I think you probably understand what i am getting at. Recall what I said about quibbling.).

So "acknowledge one baptism" has not changed from "we only acknowledge Catholic baptism" to "we now acknowledge Protestant baptism." It is still, and afaik, always has been, that baptism confers what is named 'character,'(different than the English word ...perhaps better translated as "a chracteristic"), and is not to be repeated.

That's the "one" baptism referred to. One TIME.

Rob
Free Mind

Orlando, FL

#391586 Sep 26, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh.
Okay.
You have no idea how much I would simply like to shrug and have done with you.
Okay.
I'll try to put it under the category of "dying to self."
Okay.
Maybe we have a misunderstanding of phrasing here.
Are you somehow under the impression that "we acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins" (which is the example you cite) somehow refers to "one baptism, such as Catholic, as opposed to some other baptism, such as Protestant?"
Perhaps you will not believe me, but I have never heard it being read that way.
Rather, that the Church acknowledges one instance of baptism for the forgiveness of sins, but not a second one.
One of the effects of baptism (you could say, I suppose that I am stating this as "fact." Lest's take it as a given that we are discussing matters of "faith." By definition, this means they are not proven. I take it as fact, but you do not. Okay. I don't really think we could get anywhere by quibbling.)
I'll just start the paragraph over.
One of the effects of baptism is the forgiveness of sin. A catechumen (one who is entering the Church, usually atthe Easter Vigil) who is receiving baptism does not have to receive the Sacrament of Reconcilliation ("go to confession"), because ney are being baptised for the very first time.
A convert, on the other hand, would have to go to confession. But NOT because we do not recognize their baptism, but because we DO.
If we didn't, they would be baptized on their entry into the Church, and not need to go to confession.
The problem cannot be solved by baptizing the person a second time, as baptism is only received validly ONE time (As with confirmation, ONE time only, and with Holy Orders, well, that's more complicated. Let's just say I can only be validly ordained a priest ONE time. It is non-repeatable. You could call me on a technical foul, re diaconate or episcopacy, but let's not. I think you probably understand what i am getting at. Recall what I said about quibbling.).
So "acknowledge one baptism" has not changed from "we only acknowledge Catholic baptism" to "we now acknowledge Protestant baptism." It is still, and afaik, always has been, that baptism confers what is named 'character,'(different than the English word ...perhaps better translated as "a chracteristic"), and is not to be repeated.
That's the "one" baptism referred to. One TIME.
Rob
Thank you, that is a direct reply and good information.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#391587 Sep 26, 2012
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't know why you bother so much with this simpleton. Yes, the reality is Catholics can produce higher evidence of Protestant bloodshed quite easily. The Mythical proportions of the Inquisitions and Crusades is mass hysteria and have grown beyond the whole population of Europe in those times. Honest Protestant scholars who have come to light are refreshing. I would suggest you google Marion T Horvat the myth of the Inquisition to get insight from several respected scholars to put it all into perspective.
You are Correct though on the Crusades it was initially launched as a response to pleas for help from Muslim Agression. If not for I forget the French General who pushed them back they were on their way to conquering Europe and were half way through France. It is interesting to see how many Protestants were beating the drums to go to war with Iraq and were fine with torture in the polls, but cannot understand how people centuries ago and governments worked. If all Christianity was under the umbrella of guests ecclesiastical union then I suppose we could be pointing fingers because they had it all wrong since they were part of the Govt of the time.
Try this analogy. Lets say Michigan with a large Muslim Population tries to secede from the union and proclaim themselves a seperate country and institue Sharia law. I believe in certain provinces in Canada now mention of Jesus is forbidden, but Muslims are allowed to say their prayers. But I digress, "How would the country respond to Michigan becoming an Islamic country? Very likely force would be inolved unless we want Indias Pakistan. I have no doubt any of the Protestants in here would have an objection to forcing people to learn Islam and killing Christians. There would be no response or outcry from Protestants nor would they ask the Govt to step in, because unlike Catholics they are all Christians. If guests church was in charge of the govt. they would have all just fell down with no response. ;0 Well the Germans did make coins and objects with Luther and Goebels quoted often from his book the Jews and their lies.
ONE human being arrested,tortured,having all assets confiscated,held in a horrible castle dungeon or prison,and then finally after much physical and mental torment lead to a stake,humiliated with a dunce cap,than burned to death,is far too many.WHY? Because that unfortunate soul was tried and tortured by Catholic priests and laymen who after their fiendish torture, went to Mass and took the Eucharist into their mouth.

Those same priests read the Holy Word and talked about the Lord Jesus who said"Come unto Me those of you who are weary and heavy laden,and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you and learn of Me ,for I am meek and lowly of heart,for you will find rest for your soul."Matthew 11:32-33.

The Jesus of the Word of God the Bible would never have a person arrested,beaten tortured and than burned to death for not having the right theology.And I doubt that our Lord would have done so to His own Jewish people,who by the way suffered the most in the Roman Catholic Inquisitions.

Just ONE person would have been too much,but thousands suffered such and all in the Holy Name of the Jewish Messiah,Yeshua ha Moshiach. Kind of ironic isn't it?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#391588 Sep 26, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
What you believe and what is the TRUTH are two different things....
You are very lost....
"What you believe and what is the truth are two different things"
- prove it.
- please post the facts you have that explicitly states that what you believe is accurate.

Albuquerque, NM

#391589 Sep 26, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Diverting....NO!!!
Trying to show you the TRUTH...YES!!!
You have yet to post any truth, so you divert.

If you have the facts - I'm waiting.

Albuquerque, NM

#391590 Sep 26, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Diverting....NO!!!
Trying to show you the TRUTH...YES!!!
In fact, I've refuted all the supposed "truths" you've posted so far, so you really have nothing that hasn't been disputed and shown to be false.

Post away....I'll wait.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#391591 Sep 26, 2012
Catholic Girl wrote:
In WW II the Germans were defeated, maybe reason why they can't walk to mass.:)
sorry I couldn't resist.
My husband is German and catholic but doesn't attend Sunday Mass with me. He says he sees St. Mattress every day. couldn't resist again.
To really answer your question, it may be because Germany was mostly Pagan country during/before Hitler's rein? Catholics had to worship secretly.
Lady in our church came over to US from Germany. She sits in last row end seat every Sunday. When I asked why she described to me her childhood in Nazi Germany. It was the safest place to sit incase the Germans came busting through doors with guns ready. Plus her mother told her to always sit last row because of this fear.
germany was mostly a lutheran state. luthernism is less pagan than roman catholic, but never completely broke-away from all roman imposed sacraments.

Cathy the Catholic says: keep the sacraments; they're more important than trusting Jesus for your redemption.

Albuquerque, NM

#391592 Sep 26, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
"The Savior said to his disciples, "Already the time has come, brothers, for us to abandon our labor and stand at rest. For whoever stands at rest will rest forever. And I say to you, be always above [...] time [...] you [...] be afraid of [...] you [...] anger is fearful [...] arouse anger [...] but since you have [...] they accepted these words concerning it with fear and trembling, and it set them up with governors, for from it nothing was forthcoming. But when I came, I opened the path, and I taught them about the passage which they will traverse, the elect and >>>solitary<< <, who have known the Father, having believed the truth and all the praises while you offered praise."
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/dialog.html
Judging Jesus words as "spam"??

Talk about the hypocracy within Christianity.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#391593 Sep 26, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
According to the Bible sexual sin is more abominable that other sins
1Co_6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
Are you sure that is not referring to spiritual fornication ?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#391594 Sep 26, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not really subtle about saying I'm lesbian.

I'm a girl. I like the company of other girls. Sometimes, when the mood hits us, we have girl sex.

Any other questions?
Yes?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#391595 Sep 26, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>I IS gay.

:-)
Eye gnu dat.:)

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#391596 Sep 26, 2012
JUST-A-CHRISTIAN wrote:
<quoted text>Sick. Abominable.
Yes. Yes you are.
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

#391597 Sep 26, 2012
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>up you choose to lead a good life of peace and harmony with your fellow man there is a place in heaven for you,if you choose the other path of
This is clearly understood Jethro8!! I have experienced over 35 years of (bible only) Protestant (anti-catholic) judgemental condemnation of the personal faith in Jesus Christ and Salvation of ANY and ALL other Christians, who disagree with their "self-appointed twisted interpretation of the bible". Peace and harmony you say! EVERY ONE of you Protestants on this forum have come here for one purpose; to attack, judge and condemn the Catholics. You bible only "buffoons" have "no clue" how to live in peace and harmony with ANYONE (unless they agree with you) and that is impossible--because NONE of the 41.885 contradicting, conflicting and inconsistent Protestant beliefs HAVE NEVER nor WILL EVER agree on ANYTHING--accept attacking the historical and biblical PROVEN TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His One True Catholic Church.---We, as Catholics, cannot help you "get out" of the bondage of anti-catholic "hate" that has you "shackled in antagonism and judgemental hostility.---We, as followers of Jesus Christ, can only pray, each day, at Daily Mass, that Our Lord will heal your misguided, misdirected and condemning hearts, minds and souls.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#391598 Sep 26, 2012
Orville wrote:
<quoted text>Thus is sin brother....." Sick. Abominable."

her sin is no greater than mine nor your's.

Romans 3:....
9. What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;

10As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

11There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

12They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

13Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:

14Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:

15Their feet are swift to shed blood:

16Destruction and misery are in their ways:

17And the way of peace have they not known:

18There is no fear of God before their eyes.

19Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

21But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Her "sin" is no sin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orthodox Church Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Church lends weight to Putin patriotism Aug 20 HNC 1
News Russia-Ukraine row over ancient prince Aug 12 KIEVAN not RUSSIA... 14
News Fatal stabbing at Jerusalem Gay Pride march spa... Aug 5 Frankie Rizzo 4
News Orthodox Jewish man stabs 6 gay pride marchers ... Aug 3 Fa-Foxy 8
News Patriarch Kirill: Belarusians and Ukrainians ar... Jul '15 Tony Dewar 1
News Leaders, villagers remember victims of downed M... Jul '15 Tom Dwain 1
News Giant statue of Orthodox prince stirs controver... Jul '15 George 123
More from around the web