Methodists Urged to Debate Marriage E...

Methodists Urged to Debate Marriage Equality, Gay Clergy

There are 19 comments on the EDGE story from Apr 27, 2012, titled Methodists Urged to Debate Marriage Equality, Gay Clergy. In it, EDGE reports that:

Several LGBT activists recently attended the United Methodist Church's General Conference in Tampa, Fla., in order to argue that the United Methodist Church should lift the ban on homosexuality in the church, which prohibits gay clergy and same-sex marriage, the Washington Post reported.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

FaFoxy

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Apr 28, 2012
As more Christian denominations come around to supporting equal marriage rights for us, it's going to become more difficult for the courts to deny us our rights.

The courts that due rule against us most often cite "tradition" as the reason. And "tradition" is one of teh worst resaons to cite in a case to deny people their rights.

“Love thy neighbor!”

Since: Dec 06

Westland , MI

#2 Apr 28, 2012
Come on, my fellow Methodists. Do the fair and right thing.

Since: Jan 12

New Port Richey, FL

#3 Apr 28, 2012
FaFoxy wrote:
As more Christian denominations come around to supporting equal marriage rights for us, it's going to become more difficult for the courts to deny us our rights.
The courts that due rule against us most often cite "tradition" as the reason. And "tradition" is one of teh worst resaons to cite in a case to deny people their rights.
Are you referring to the Conservative courts or the Liberal courts
Ito

Pekin, IL

#4 Apr 28, 2012
No church that is truly Christian can EVER bless what God condemns!
Listen to the Word

Kingman, AZ

#5 Apr 28, 2012
If UMC listens to LGBT activists instead of God's word, they will see the faithful leaving as fast as they are leaving TEC and LCMS. Watch for big growth in the community churches, non-denoms, and mega-churches where the spiritual leaders have at least a legitimate understanding of the Bible.
Chriscord

United States

#6 Apr 28, 2012
What churches are suppose to be doin is upholding the standard which God had set before us. And not about human right. CHURCH IS NOT AN ASSOCIATION OF HUMAN ACTIVIST........

FaFoxy

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#7 Apr 29, 2012
Listen to the Word wrote:
If UMC listens to LGBT activists instead of God's word, they will see the faithful leaving as fast as they are leaving TEC and LCMS. Watch for big growth in the community churches, non-denoms, and mega-churches where the spiritual leaders have at least a legitimate understanding of the Bible.
The LCMS (Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod) is one fo THEE MOST anti-gay denominations in the U.S. I was raised in LCMS when I was a kid..
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#8 Apr 29, 2012
Ito wrote:
No church that is truly Christian can EVER bless what God condemns!
Bingo! This is exactly the reason churches are not allowed to sell marriage licenses. Jews; Buddhists; Hindus; Atheists; Muslims; mormonizers; and catholics would be out of luck
.
So to assure marriage for everybody; $35 marriage licenses are sold only by clerks in county courthouses
.
Judges and Justices of the Peace perform marriages sometimes for free. No religion needed
.
Its the American Way; sugar

FaFoxy

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#9 Apr 29, 2012
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo! This is exactly the reason churches are not allowed to sell marriage licenses. Jews; Buddhists; Hindus; Atheists; Muslims; mormonizers; and catholics would be out of luck
.
So to assure marriage for everybody; $35 marriage licenses are sold only by clerks in county courthouses
.
Judges and Justices of the Peace perform marriages sometimes for free. No religion needed
.
Its the American Way; sugar
In states and other jurisdictions whre gay marriage is now legal, I wonder if they all still require blood tests. Because many jurisdictions did, and many probably still do, require blood tests for heteros to get a marriage license.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#10 Apr 29, 2012
Listen to the Word wrote:
If UMC listens to LGBT activists instead of God's word, they will see the faithful leaving as fast as they are leaving TEC and LCMS. Watch for big growth in the community churches, non-denoms, and mega-churches where the spiritual leaders have at least a legitimate understanding of the Bible.
The schism is already well established. It will become official during the upcoming last and final 'general conference'
.
1000 of the richest churches have already signed in solidarity and will cut off financial support of the homophobic African-led 'general conference'; forcing it out of business

“Your religion is NOT in charge”

Since: Nov 11

Columbus

#11 Apr 29, 2012
This entire issue would be a lot easier to figure out if humanity could grow up and get over this religion foolishness altogether.

What does "god" say about homosexuality?

...who freakin' cares?!?

Since: Jan 12

New Port Richey, FL

#12 Apr 29, 2012
Nytebreid wrote:
This entire issue would be a lot easier to figure out if humanity could grow up and get over this religion foolishness altogether.
What does "god" say about homosexuality?
...who freakin' cares?!?
allot of people do care, allot of gay people also care very deeply the point that has gotten lost is Christians are suppose be followers of Jesus Christ who never once said anything against homosexuality

Since: Jan 12

New Port Richey, FL

#13 Apr 29, 2012
FaFoxy wrote:
<quoted text>
In states and other jurisdictions whre gay marriage is now legal, I wonder if they all still require blood tests. Because many jurisdictions did, and many probably still do, require blood tests for heteros to get a marriage license.
hers your answer :http://usmarriagelaws.com/sea rch/united_states/blood_test_r equirements/index.shtml

how about you answering my question on #3

Since: Jan 12

New Port Richey, FL

#14 Apr 29, 2012
Aaron in Afghani

Thebarton, Australia

#15 May 20, 2012
I submitted a idea last week. I live in the DC area. It was not posted .I will NEVER buy another paper. Also i will convey the same to others.Did i say something ,that did not answer some of the above ideas. Shame on you. WE over here ARE ASHAME OF WHAT IS TAKING PLACE IN OUR COUNTRY. We have seriuos promblems that NEED OUR ATTENTION.
Aaron in Afghani

Thebarton, Australia

#16 May 21, 2012
This is for all of you(same sex), who want to get married. Is LOVE the Driving Force,or is it a drive to,TRY to CHANGE what the BIBLE say is truth, to what you THINK &FEEL IS TRUTH.The truth of the Bible says that we are to LOVE YOU,NOT what you DO. Now for those who wayed in with your silly icon of 1.judged & 2. offtopic. God destroyed those of the same sex.Read Genesis Chapter 18verse17thru chapter 19 verse 1thru.29.I posted this to say,GOD Judged then and HE will be the last judge on this so called,offtopic. We again are to LOVE YOU. BUT not you actions.
Trucker

Hawesville, KY

#17 May 23, 2012
Gay Mom wrote:
Come on, my fellow Methodists. Do the fair and right thing.
First of all you are not a true Methodist so therefore stop coming into the church where you clearly dont belong and stop claiming to be something you clearly are not. In other words get gone to some place where your views are accepted and once you get there stay there and dont come back to where you dont belong.
Trucker

Hawesville, KY

#18 May 23, 2012
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
The schism is already well established. It will become official during the upcoming last and final 'general conference'
.
1000 of the richest churches have already signed in solidarity and will cut off financial support of the homophobic African-led 'general conference'; forcing it out of business
Listen to this you normalphobic Rainbow Retard.
The African UMC's dont need the North American UMC's for any type of support whatsoever. We are talking about African congregations and not your typical spoiled rotten and sissified USA congregations. African christians have been know to walk fifteen miles one way barefoot and dodge charging bull elephants with the sole intent of attending church services in wide open fields with other African christians.

FaFoxy

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#19 May 23, 2012
disaster in the making wrote:
<quoted text>
hers your answer :http://usmarriagelaws.com/sea rch/united_states/blood_test_r equirements/index.shtml
how about you answering my question on #3
I looked at the site. Connecticut is one of the few states that require a blood test before marriage. What's odd is that they allow gay marriage, and require a blood test. I wonder what the blood test is for.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Methodist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dozens of Methodist clergy come out as LGBT May '16 Imprtnrd 356
News Methodists Trying to Avoid Church Split Over Ga... May '16 Logic Analysis 3
News Methodists trying to avoid church split over ga... May '16 Prosperity Fundie... 7
News United Methodist bishops commit to maintaining ... May '16 Robert N Tripson ... 3
News House GOP presses ahead with Zika measure May '16 Pope Out To Pasture 1
News Watch live stream video of the United Methodist... May '16 Three Days 1
News The United Methodist Church to LGBTQ: You're "S... May '16 Three Days 1
More from around the web