Methodists next to expand inclusion o...

Methodists next to expand inclusion of gays?

There are 13 comments on the www.dispatch.com story from Aug 19, 2011, titled Methodists next to expand inclusion of gays?. In it, www.dispatch.com reports that:

In the past few years, several Protestant denominations have become more open to gay and lesbian clergy and leaders.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.dispatch.com.

What

Ava, MO

#1 Aug 19, 2011
Just as the Lord said would be as the end approaches wickedness abounds.
Pattysboi

Sacramento, CA

#2 Aug 20, 2011
My wife and I are United Methodists, and our former pastor is a WOMAN who did great things for our church. WE were very sorry when she left.
LA VERITE

Pekin, IL

#3 Aug 20, 2011
EVERY major church that waffles on the Bible's many commands against all homosexual behavior is in decline. The UMC is already loosing members and will lose droves if they discard what the Bible says about this.

Such a policy also leaves them open to enormous liability, such as was suffered by the Catholic Church in the homosexual priest scandal. Data show that that scandal was over 80% homosexual in nature and primarily involved pederasty rather than pedophilia. Pederasty is a major focus of homosexuals, and clamping down on homosexual priests has nearly ended any new cases.

“Love thy neighbor!”

Since: Dec 06

Westland , MI

#4 Aug 20, 2011
More and more, real Christians are heeding Christ's commandment to "love thy neighbor". Leaving the judgement up to God, and each person's life as a subject that is only between them and God, but spreading God's love to all of His creation....the ultimate goal.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#5 Aug 22, 2011
Gay Mom wrote:
More and more, real Christians are heeding Christ's commandment to "love thy neighbor". Leaving the judgement up to God, and each person's life as a subject that is only between them and God, but spreading God's love to all of His creation....the ultimate goal.
Amen, Sister!
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#6 Aug 22, 2011
if someones' not a methodist then it shouldn't matter to them what this major denomination does.

if someone is a methodist, i would suspect that they could hold whatever personal opinion they wanted even if it did fly in the face of the church's stated stance - they wouldn't be drummed out of the church for thinking differently.

afterall, we all know baptists that drink and dance - and they haven't been kicked out of their services and churches yet....
JB Lightfoot

Blue Ridge, GA

#7 Nov 25, 2011
Methodists need to follow Scripture rather than popular culture. If they don't, they will end up like the Episcopal Church, a declining, dying church with no Gospel.

One can be compassion about the disordered passions associated with the human condition without celebraing them. The least loving thing a person can do is to approve those things that lead to death.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#8 Nov 25, 2011
fr la 'verite':

>...Pederasty is a major focus of homosexuals, and clamping down on homosexual priests has nearly ended any new cases....<

You are completely incorrect. My wife and I (a married lesbian FAMILY) have absolutely no interest in molesting a child.
Resist Ignorance

Madison, AL

#9 Nov 25, 2011
JB Lightfoot wrote:
Methodists need to follow Scripture rather than popular culture...
You know, you are absolutely right. We must follow scripture. And scripture dictates that if a woman is not a virgin on her wedding night she MUST be killed. It also says that if a woman is raped, she must marry her rapist. So, get with the program JB, all or nothing. Sorry, no cherry picking.</sarc>

It's all faerie tales anyway.
Listen to the Word

Kingman, AZ

#11 Nov 29, 2011
GayMom assumes that saying "no" on moral issues is not "loving thy neighbor." Obviously, "each person's life" is not always "a subject that is only between them (sic!) and God." Sexual issues always involve other people -- the partner, the parents and family, friends, and fellow Christians -- if someone makes their sex lives public. All moral issues affect all people in one's area of influence.

Using this argument on moral issues, one could argue that being an alcoholic is no one's business other than the drunk's and God's (forget the spouse, family, employer, and innocent motorist), that being a drug addict is no one's business other than the druggie's and God's (forget the spouse, family, and taxpayer who pays to support many of them), that killing the unborn is no one's business one than the mother's and God's (forget the doctor, the nurse, and of course the baby) and the list could go on.

One wonders why, if homosexual's think that their sex life is no one's business, they keep on flaunting it in everyone's faces. I have never heard of a "straight pride" parade where straights take off most of their clothes, dress in disgusting ways, and flaunt their sexuality in public, while homosexuals flaunt their perversion down major streets in America in "gay pride parades", in full view of children, accompanied by law enforcement, with the blessing of the government which otherwise arrests people for contributing to the delinquency of minors and public indecency. The gays are making their sexuality everyone's business and then go crying to mama and the courts when people comment negatively of their public displays of indecency.

To never say "no" to children and others is not loving them. Even the most liberal minded parent has said no to his children -- no to touching the stove, no to hitting a sibling, no to using the F word, no to lying to mom and dad. God says no to many things, including homosexuality. Does that make him unloving.

People who quote the God by saying "Love your neighbor" to support sin have no idea what is all included in love. It is a God of love who, in the commandments and other scriptures, said, "Thou shalt not..." I would assume that GayMom would therefore conclude the God is not loving and should be labelled a bigot in these blogs.

“Love thy neighbor!”

Since: Dec 06

Westland , MI

#12 Nov 30, 2011
Listen to the Word wrote:
GayMom assumes that saying "no" on moral issues is not "loving thy neighbor." Obviously, "each person's life" is not always "a subject that is only between them (sic!) and God." Sexual issues always involve other people -- the partner, the parents and family, friends, and fellow Christians -- if someone makes their sex lives public. All moral issues affect all people in one's area of influence.
Using this argument on moral issues, one could argue that being an alcoholic is no one's business other than the drunk's and God's (forget the spouse, family, employer, and innocent motorist), that being a drug addict is no one's business other than the druggie's and God's (forget the spouse, family, and taxpayer who pays to support many of them), that killing the unborn is no one's business one than the mother's and God's (forget the doctor, the nurse, and of course the baby) and the list could go on.
One wonders why, if homosexual's think that their sex life is no one's business, they keep on flaunting it in everyone's faces. I have never heard of a "straight pride" parade where straights take off most of their clothes, dress in disgusting ways, and flaunt their sexuality in public, while homosexuals flaunt their perversion down major streets in America in "gay pride parades", in full view of children, accompanied by law enforcement, with the blessing of the government which otherwise arrests people for contributing to the delinquency of minors and public indecency. The gays are making their sexuality everyone's business and then go crying to mama and the courts when people comment negatively of their public displays of indecency.
To never say "no" to children and others is not loving them. Even the most liberal minded parent has said no to his children -- no to touching the stove, no to hitting a sibling, no to using the F word, no to lying to mom and dad. God says no to many things, including homosexuality. Does that make him unloving.
People who quote the God by saying "Love your neighbor" to support sin have no idea what is all included in love. It is a God of love who, in the commandments and other scriptures, said, "Thou shalt not..." I would assume that GayMom would therefore conclude the God is not loving and should be labelled a bigot in these blogs.
First off, homosexuality is not a moral issue. If you are letting my being a lesbian and living with my partner effect you..that is your issue. So your whole analogy falls apart at that point.

Let's jump from that to the Love of God and spreading that love to others. You do not get to choose who to love. God did not give you the right to judge His children. That is His job. You are to spread love, care, help, compassion,...to the alcoholic...to the prisoner...to the unlovable. That is the meaning of "love your neighbor". If you hold yourself as superior to others, you can not fulfill Christ's second Commandment. Humble yourself and spread His love.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#14 Dec 5, 2011
Gay Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
First off, homosexuality is not a moral issue. If you are letting my being a lesbian and living with my partner effect you..that is your issue. So your whole analogy falls apart at that point.
Let's jump from that to the Love of God and spreading that love to others. You do not get to choose who to love. God did not give you the right to judge His children. That is His job. You are to spread love, care, help, compassion,...to the alcoholic...to the prisoner...to the unlovable. That is the meaning of "love your neighbor". If you hold yourself as superior to others, you can not fulfill Christ's second Commandment. Humble yourself and spread His love.
A remarkably simple message that the biblical fundamentalist cannot understand.

Rev. Ken

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#15 Dec 6, 2011
fr listen:

>...I have never heard of a "straight pride" parade where straights take off most of their clothes, dress in disgusting ways, and flaunt their sexuality in public...<

Oh, so you've NEVER seen a mardi gras parade then, I see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Methodist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Methodists elect 1st openly gay bishop in defia... Jul 16 Mitt s Baptism of... 3
News Voices of Faith: Does number 3 hold special sig... Jun 30 Rev Geroge Pell 1
News Methodists nominate 3 openly gay candidates for... Jun 29 Robin Hood 1
News Dozens of Methodist clergy come out as LGBT May '16 Imprtnrd 356
News Methodists Trying to Avoid Church Split Over Ga... May '16 Logic Analysis 3
News Methodists trying to avoid church split over ga... May '16 Prosperity Fundie... 7
News United Methodist bishops commit to maintaining ... May '16 Robert N Tripson ... 3
More from around the web