First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jake

New York, NY

#1 Feb 10, 2007
I understand that pre-marital sex is wrong as being a Methodist but is doing other sexual acts before marriage against Methodist beliefs?
hey ho

Brecon, UK

#2 Sep 17, 2007
i believe people should be able to do as they please without the eye of god forever looking on you with shame....
you only live once
x

Since: Sep 07

Stillwater, OK

#3 Sep 17, 2007
It is so right that you only live once in this physical form. Isn't it a shame that many abuse the total life for moments of temporary pleasure? Jesus used a term in Hebrew that was really not what we have translated as Hell. He merely said that souls would be thrown in the trash dump who displeased God. How about it? Want to spend eternity sitting in the trash dump and watching others who obeyed God enjoying eternal life with God? Think about it.
HonestTruth

Elberfeld, IN

#4 Sep 22, 2007
The term PRE-MARITAL SEX is nothing more than a warm fuzzy feel good term for what the bible properly calls the sin of FORNICATION.
glam

Makati, Philippines

#5 Sep 28, 2007
i don't see anyone being called asinner for engaging in premarital sex
glam

Makati, Philippines

#6 Sep 28, 2007
i don't see anyone being called a sinner for engaging in premarital sex
HonestTruth

Elberfeld, IN

#7 Sep 28, 2007
So you dont see anyone being called a sinner for engaging in premarital sex.

That because what you are refering to as premarital sex is what is really refered to in the bible as the sin of FORNICATION. And those who engage in FORNICATION are rightly called sinners.

Jesus didnt "merely" say anyone would be thrown in any type of dump. Jesus said those who rejected him would be cast into an everlasting lake of raging fire.
Lilac

Mishawaka, IN

#8 Dec 18, 2007
Well, let's look at this from a different angle. Yes, we are ALL sinners, and we all need the saving grace of Jesus Christ. Yes, premarital sex is fornication, which is a sin. Does the HOLY GOD who created us simply set up arbitrary rules simply to keep us from having any "fun" and to test us to see who is "worthy" of entering heaven (this seems to be the common thinking of those who object to the scriptures that say sex outside of marriage is forbidden to Christians)? Well, if grace is a free gift how can that be so???Who knows us better than our Creator? The one who designed us MUST know what is good for us.

Is premarital sex good for us? Think about it, really. Think about the emotional and physical damage it can wrought. Think about the trust issues it can cause in relationships. Think about the enormous amount of energy it can take away from developing oneself as a servant of Christ.Think about the dichotomy of conscience it can cause in one who reads and trusts the Bible and who has learned that premarital sex is a sin (which literally means "missing the mark"), not to mention the day to day anxiety of dealing with issues such as "safe sex" (ie-am I going to contract an STD if I sleep with this person).

As a nurse, I learned there really is no such thing as "safe sex" unless you are in a monogamous relationship with a partner who is also monogamous, and who has not had sexual contact with persons who have an STD before they become your partner. I also learned that it is very common to contract an STD from non-intercourse sexual practices (and condoms are not always helpful, since things like warts can be contracted from other parts of the body).I have also had the HEARTBREAKING experience of seeing a 19 YEAR OLD dealing with AIDS-related complications, and of seeing family members suffer the loss of a parent due to AIDS:(

Isaiah 48:17 says
"I am the LORD your God who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go."

God loves us, knows us better than we know ourselves, and wants the BEST for us. Just take a look around and see the damage extramarital sex has wrought, emotionally and physically.As the scriptures say, we "reap what we sow."

The decision belongs to each of us, whether we trust God or not.Whether we believe He is a loving Creator with our best interests at heart, or not.
akldjfal

Austin, TX

#9 May 19, 2008
I love how no one actually answered the original question.
Teotwawki

Humble, TX

#10 May 20, 2008
Being a methodist, I'm sure you can find a minister to justify your actions somehow. My former methodist pastor could and did...particularly if his actions were the ones in question. If you're methodist, anything goes now-a-days.

I'm no longer methodist.
Realist

Essington, PA

#11 Nov 18, 2008
You guys are hilarious, pre marital sex is par for the course, most people in the western world have it, and whether or not you sin has little bearing on what you reap. Even Hitler was in love, what kind of God would grant the joy of love to Hitler? Pre marital sex is a health issue and that's that! God is as glorious as the world, nothing more, and angels know little of being finite. Truth is, you all are subject to and dependent on fornicators all the time, your dry cleaner, garbage man, accountant and firefighters all have pre marital fornicators among them. It's none of your business, that's why we have sex in private, and it's not your place to try and guess how God would interpret what others do in private. If you want to know what's right in God's eyes, why would you ask a human? We have no authority to answer questions on God's behalf. You figure it out for yourself.
farrel

Cotabato City, Philippines

#12 Dec 18, 2008
i love sex
allturbo

Butler, PA

#13 May 11, 2009
whats wrong with being a Methodist you bastard?
citizen

Bath, PA

#15 Jan 22, 2010
Realist wrote:
You guys are hilarious, pre marital sex is par for the course, most people in the western world have it, and whether or not you sin has little bearing on what you reap. Even Hitler was in love, what kind of God would grant the joy of love to Hitler? Pre marital sex is a health issue and that's that! God is as glorious as the world, nothing more, and angels know little of being finite. Truth is, you all are subject to and dependent on fornicators all the time, your dry cleaner, garbage man, accountant and firefighters all have pre marital fornicators among them. It's none of your business, that's why we have sex in private, and it's not your place to try and guess how God would interpret what others do in private. If you want to know what's right in God's eyes, why would you ask a human? We have no authority to answer questions on God's behalf. You figure it out for yourself.
You stated "We have no authority to answer questions on GOD'S behalf".
That's a strange comment comming from a Christian, if you are one.
But I doubt you are. Jesus all ready answered all the questions we need to ask. His answer was and is SIN my friend.
What you are doing is making an excuse to SIN and Calling Jesus a liar for not agreeing with YOU. So you can't be a Christian and believe what you believe. Your lost and can't be found again. Untill you REPENT YOUR SINFUL BELIEF to JESUS. You are trapped in your ignorent mind set. Look at your self in the mirror and you will see SATAN. If you sit by me in Church I'll know who you are with out knowing your name. You put the mark of the best on your farhead and it is seen by all.
Stuart

Cowes, UK

#16 Jan 28, 2010
I was seeking a forum to help restore my faith.
It is the sort of twisted and nihilistic twaddle above which made me glad to no longer be a methodist.
dave

Delray Beach, FL

#17 Mar 23, 2010
Ask any Christian living outside this country if he/she thinks the bible condemns premarital sex or calls it a sin. Only Americans perpetuate this lie on their children. This is the same America that has the highest teen pregnancy rate of any industrialized nation. Americans need to wake up.
MIClark

Tyler, TX

#18 Jan 17, 2012
Premarital sex is a sin, however god forgives sin. Also, at the time of Jesus, people were getting married in there early teens. Nowadays, most people wait till there early to mid twenties to get married.
Dino83

Maidenhead, UK

#19 Feb 14, 2013
Damn I'm dating a Methodist! I didn't know you guys weren't allowed sex before marriage!
Wackyman

Maidenhead, UK

#20 Feb 14, 2013
Are Methodists allowed to masturbate??
Rachel 92

Maidenhead, UK

#21 Feb 14, 2013
Hey,
I'm currently seeing a boy who says he's a Methodist. Can one of you give me a rundown of what's ok and not ok for Methodists about relationships, sex etc. I just don't want to ask him and make him feel uncomfortable or pressured into doing anything he doesn't want to as he is quite shy. Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Methodist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What does Christian privilege look like at Duke... Jan '15 Thinking 2
Acknowledging a debt: Methodist bishop emphasiz... Jan '15 Believer 1
In League with Israel: A Tale of the Chattanoog... Jan '15 lavon affair 2
Methodists end case against bishop who performe... Jan '15 Christian Fumblem... 14
Repercussions for Methodist Minister for Offici... Jan '15 Rainbow Kid 2
faith alone? Dec '14 HEATH - 72 1
UMC - Bishop Watch Website. (Nov '07) Dec '14 Al Mitchell 6
More from around the web