Amish heading westward | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

The search by the booming North American population of Amish for affordable, fertile farmland has produced settlements in 28 states and Ontario -- and has even led parties to scout recently for suitable properties in Alaska and Mexico.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Jon H

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

1

Lets hope they move to the Northwest, since the wind usually blows out of the southwest.

“I wake up and piss excellence”

Since: Nov 09

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 28, 2010
 
What about Tuscarawas County, OH? I know personally there are well over 10,000 Amish living there.
anonymous

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

4

2

2

In Ohio, Holmes County is really ground zero. Knowing many Amish myself, I applaud them for fleeing the grips of a mroe intrusive government and sick society. I wish the best travels and propserous rewards.
thatwasthen

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

3

I used to have much respect for the Amish until i learned about their abusive practices. They are a main cause of the puppy mill tragedy in America. They overbreed and keep these dogs in deplorable conditions.

Also, their treatment of women and children is anything but respectful. Just because they adhere to the past does not mean it is a good thing.
Observer

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

5

1

1

I've heard that the Amish run huge stolen cart operations, complete with chop shops. Tru TV is developing a new series called "Bait Cart" in which they will trap Amish by parking a cart, with horses attached and waiting for the Amish to steal it.
bumper sticker

Zanesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

3

2

1

anonymous wrote:
In Ohio, Holmes County is really ground zero. Knowing many Amish myself, I applaud them for fleeing the grips of a mroe intrusive government and sick society. I wish the best travels and propserous rewards.
hahaha.. no group is more intrusive on personal freedoms than the amish. duh.
Random

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

I don't know about anyone else, but personally this information concerns me.

Double-digit population growth? Spreading westward? Soon there will be barn-raisings in Vegas, for heaven's sake. I see it as an attempt to reproduce their way into political power; the "Plaining of America" if you will.

No good can come from this.
Bucky Goldstein

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

Observer wrote:
I've heard that the Amish run huge stolen cart operations, complete with chop shops. Tru TV is developing a new series called "Bait Cart" in which they will trap Amish by parking a cart, with horses attached and waiting for the Amish to steal it.
Or maybe the Amish can have a Alumini Softball tournement where all hell breaks loose and they become the laughing stock that is Grove City
Bwarny Fwank

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

5

4

2

Id rather have Amish as a neighbor than a bunch of Illegals.
cld

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

I love their cheese!
el duderino

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

4

1

1

Bwarny Fwank wrote:
Id rather have Amish as a neighbor than a bunch of Illegals.
Would you? Because a big problem in the Akron/Canton area is an influx of Amish construction crews. They undercut everybody, including the illegals and tkae the money back to their Amish communities.
hamburger pimp

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Kind of uppity for the Amish to be all patronizing towards that lady's grocery store. Who do they think they are?
workingdadof7

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

1

el duderino wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you? Because a big problem in the Akron/Canton area is an influx of Amish construction crews. They undercut everybody, including the illegals and tkae the money back to their Amish communities.
There's nothing wrong with that.When was the last time you heard of a drive by buggy shooting?
Scotia Banks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

1

I seem to remember something about a cocaine connection between the Amish and Hell's Angels a few years back over in Pennsylvania. Not sure I want a motorcycle riding Amish cocaine dealer as my neighbor.
Indiabound

Riverstone, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Weird - I was in a Bob Evans restaurant in Columbus OH once and a whole clan of them came in. Some of the kids had to go back outside, however - because they were smoking. Couldn't have been older than 14-16. Quite surprised.
tip

Blacklick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Indiabound wrote:
Weird - I was in a Bob Evans restaurant in Columbus OH once and a whole clan of them came in. Some of the kids had to go back outside, however - because they were smoking. Couldn't have been older than 14-16. Quite surprised.
rumspringa -- sowing their wild oats
AIM9Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 28, 2010
 

Judged:

1

tip wrote:
<quoted text>
rumspringa -- sowing their wild oats
At Bob Evans?
Former Amish

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jul 29, 2010
 

Judged:

1

bumper sticker wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaha.. no group is more intrusive on personal freedoms than the amish. duh.
It is true that you have few personal freedoms as an Amish person. It's a big part of the reason I left. I can breathe now and get an education.
robert

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Aug 11, 2010
 
They bring peace and stability, they are human, will have faults, any parents here? Do you have the perfect teenager/ They are Amish not Angels, can you give them a break?
Parasite Government

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Aug 11, 2010
 
Wow - condemning the Amish?

Our society is in it's final days.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••