Attuned to the guests | The Columbus ...

Attuned to the guests | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 25 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Mar 14, 2010, titled Attuned to the guests | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Amish surreys have no fringe on top. Yet here in the largest Amish community in the world, Rodgers and Hammerstein are as much a part of breakfast as buttermilk biscuits, at least for guests of the Lamplight Inn.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sandy from Indianapolis

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Mar 14, 2010
This Inn and the innkeepers are fantastic! My family hosted a surprise birthday party for me at the inn, and we had the most wonderful, unique time ever! It is everything one could want it to be, and then some! I had the most memorable birthday, with my family friends, and hope to return for a rerun some day soon!
Jill

Columbus, OH

#2 Mar 14, 2010
How beautiful! I definitely want to visit the Lamplight Inn B&B and hope to do so this spring or summer.
Brenda Rushing

Dayton, OH

#3 Mar 15, 2010
I have stayed at the Lamplight Inn and it is lovely. We loved to sit on the wrap around porch in the rocking chairs and watch the Amish community at work. It is a slow pace that caused you to relax and enjoy your own family. We loved it. We plan to return this Spring.
Lou Youngling

Brighton, MI

#4 Mar 15, 2010
Reading this review brought back fond memories of the visit that my New York daughter, and I, now from Michigan, had when we met midway and stayed at your wonderful, restfull bed and breakfast. It was a relaxing, bonding time aided by the atmosphere of your fine inn.
Marnie and Mike

Kent, OH

#5 Mar 15, 2010
Your heart, spirit, and body will find complete refreshment at this gentle, peaceful, delicious and musical B&B! You will want to return again and again for the peaceful, musical, and delicious refreshment of body and spirit provided by the wonderful Wilgus hosts!
R L - Columbus

Hilliard, OH

#6 Mar 15, 2010
We have stayed at this B&B and there is a lot to like. The breakfast was wonderful and the scenery couldn't be better. Rooms are very clean. However, as a traveler who prefers B&B's there were a few things that didn't sit well with me that I haven't experienced before. There are so many RULES. Rules on the website, rules at check in, rules on the back of the door, etc. I was surprised there wasn't a list of rules on my pillow. Check-in is very inflexible. Driving from Columbus takes about 2 hours and the latest check-in is 7 p.m.- not a minute later (another rule). I would have stayed the entire weekend if I knew there was some flexibility. We could leave at 4:30 (right after work) but what if there was a traffic accident - it is Columbus after all? What if we happened to lose our way or what if the weather was bad? The website states if you can't make it by 7:00 don't come. Then, there is to be no noise after 10 p.m. including showers, laughing, snickering (this is on the back of the door). Maybe they should say don't be romantic after 10 p.m. because it seemed as though that is what the rules were getting at. We like to sleep in a cool room but the bedding is very flimsy. We are accustomed to much nicer quality bedding in B&B's. I couldn't sleep because it felt like I only had a sheet on me. One would think in Amish country they would have nice Amish made quilts on the beds. Our stay would have been a 9 out of a 10 if it weren't for the rules - it was over the top and I was frankly very surprised the Dispatch article did not touch on this.
Dale

Akron, OH

#7 Mar 15, 2010
My wife and I try to get to the Inn at least once a year. This time we were able to stay 2 nights. One night is good but two nights is even better for reducing stress and just relaxing. The atmosphere is so laidback that you just want to sit overlooking the valley and drink deep of the peace. Between the beautiful rooms, great breakfast, entrancing music, and stories from both Larry & Helen this makes a fantastic time-out from the hustle and bustle of the world.
Singing Innkeeper

Rockaway Park, NY

#8 Mar 15, 2010
It is unfortunate that some guests don't grasp the climate of a B&B - rest and quiet, which is different from a hotel! When my wife and I took over 4-years ago, we didn't have any rules posted that give instructions on how to enjoy your stay at our B&B. YES - we want guests to be considerate of other people in the building, and since that posting, our occupancy has increased with more guests returning every year because they know they will get a good night sleep! We make no apology in a world filled with selfishness and rude manners. The Dispatch story didn't touch of this because it is understood among B&B guests nationwide!
Lynda Peel

Columbus, OH

#9 Mar 15, 2010
The Lamplight Inn B & B is a restful haven with allows one to reflect in the beauty of the surrounding countryside in peace. I enjoyed my stay and found the tranquil environment relaxing and refreshing while on the porch swing overlooking the Amish farms in the valley below. The tranquility was just what I needed to revitalize. I appreciate going to a B & B that offers a serene place away from the hustle and bustle.
Great place to visit!!
Lynne Cromes

Sidney, OH

#10 Mar 15, 2010
My daughter, Christy, and I have had the privilege of lodging at this beautiful B&B four days/five nights in 2008 and four days/five nights in 2009. Both trips were in the fall so we could enjoy the drive from Dayton/Springfield, OH and the changing colors of the leaves along the way. We so enjoy quality time together in this busy hectic paced world.(girl time). The Innkeepers are very hospitable, friendly, knowledgeable and we enjoy the RULES, if you will, regarding the Inn. So nice for the peace and quiet, the Hillside suite is lovely. On own kitchenette and bath, plus a rolling hillside view from our porch, while sitting in the wicker rocking chairs. Horses, cows and plenty of Amish buggies up and down the hillside. Great places to shop and great restaurants to replenish ourselves before we head out to the next cheese shop, flea market, quilt shop and Lehman's Hardware store. Can't wait till our next visit.
Kay Eakin

Massillon, OH

#11 Mar 15, 2010
We thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay at the Lamplight. There may be RULES but they are for the benefit of each guest. I appreciated the quietness after 10PM. Their overall hospitality was terrific! The rooms were lovely and the bed was wonderful. The breakfasts were right out of a fine dining experience with lovely piano music, some singing and delightful stories. We would certainly return and would recommend this as an outstanding B&B!
WFish

Massillon, OH

#12 Mar 15, 2010
We gave stayed at the Lamplight Inn several times and each time was a delight. The Wilguses are super people who genuinely know how to host and serve people. The rooms are all great and the view from the porch is as beautiful as it gets in Holmes County.
Jim Smith

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Mar 15, 2010
I have only stayed at a few B&B's and this was the first one that fit my image of a B&B. The inn keepers are great people with entertaining stories and excellent meals. The inn and rooms are clean and top notch.
Wayne and Glenda Brown

Decatur, AL

#14 Mar 15, 2010
We were lucky enough to be guests at the Lamplight Inn when we revisited the Amish region. Although we had been frequent visitors to Berlin while residents of Columbus, retirement and relocation now makes Alabama our home. This revisit was more enjoyable than other because of our stay at the Inn. It truly is a great 'home' away from home! We look forward to our next visit to the Inn this spring!
Bill

Sunbury, OH

#15 Mar 15, 2010
I read all of the comments posted to date. The commentaries express our sentiments accurately, except the remarks about the rules. In fact, it was the rules that convinced me that we would have a restful and peaceful stay, and we did.( My wife and I have been "victims" of inconsiderate behavior in many of the motels we have stayed in over the years.) My wife took a great deal of delight in the furnishings, decor, and the cleanliness, while I focused on the building construction, appointments and landscaping. She being from Germany and I from the countryside of Lancaster, Pa. waxed nostalgic as we took in the rolling hills and the immaculate Amish farm community. And the breakfast - indescribably delicious! We hope to make our stay an annual event.
Ken Stephen

United States

#16 Mar 15, 2010
My wife and I have enjoyed several "get-a-ways" at the Lamplight Inn and it is by far one of the most enjoyable inns which we have visited! Great amenities, food and music. I highly recommend the Lamplight Inn!
Tom

Cleveland, OH

#17 Mar 16, 2010
My wife and I have stayed at ther Inn and like the way its run. we like the peace and quiet of the Inn. We have stayed at other places and you could hear everything going on in the evening. You should always be considerate of the people who are sharing the B&B with you. I like my peace and quiet. If you didn't have rules everything would be in chaos.
Marnie and Mike

Kent, OH

#18 Mar 16, 2010
Folks who would need to speed past the clipclop Amish buggies to careen late into the driveway should not select this wonderful B&B, because they won't fit in. Generally, anyone who likely objects to "quiet" rules are mostly likely the ones who need them. The point of visiting Amish communities is to join in the peace and serenity and to leave the clatter and hustle of the English city.
Craig E

Canton, OH

#19 Mar 16, 2010
My wife and I are not regulars at B&B's but have stayed at several around the country. It is always a joy to have the owners open their homes to us and treat us like family. Larry and Helen are no exception (although they are exceptional people). The Lamplight is a great "experience" (!) not just a stay. As part of their family we appreciate they have rules to make it an enjoyable stay for all their "family". At the end of an active day touring the downtown area I want to relax ...defined as an environment of peace and quiet. We highly recommend the Lamplight experience and congratulate the Wilguses on providing such an entertaining and peaceful environment (and pretty darned good food, too!)
Amy and Bill

Mount Gilead, OH

#20 Mar 16, 2010
My husband and I have been coming to this Inn for the past 4 years. From our very first stay, we fell in love with this place. My husband actually calls this place "his second home". The owners are absolutely fabulous. Even if we make a trip into Amish Country without staying over night, we always stop by the Inn and visit the owners. The Inn is gorgeous. The views are spectacular. The rooms and beds are so comfortable. The decor in each room is so beautiful. They are wonderfully decorated. The breakfast is very huge and extremely delicious. We are very full by the end of breakfast. Oh, and the snacks that they put out in the evenings are so good. They are all homemade Amish treats. Yummy!:) We love that they have a huge livingroom with a fireplace, TV and tons of DVD's. When we go to the Inn with a group of friends, we all love to sit together in the livingroom and visit. We also do appreciate the "no noise after 10pm" rule. That ensures that my husband and I will never be kept awake by loud guests until all hours of the night. You can still watch TV in your room, talk, and "be romantic" in your room after 10pm, but you just can't be so loud that you disturb the other guests. Personally, I think that rule just ensures common courtesy. If you are ever in Amish Country, be sure to stop by the Inn and check it out. You'll love it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mennonites Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Amish Mafia' finds 'Forbidden Knowledge' on Di... Mar '15 bill 1
News 'Amish Mafia' finds 'A Church Divided' on Disco... Mar '15 Paraguay 1
News 'Amish Mafia' Recap, Season 2 Episode 2: Buggyi... (Sep '13) Dec '14 Hans 2
News Mennonite working with drug cartel gets 15 months (Dec '14) Dec '14 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News Retired pastor loses credentials over gay wedding (Nov '14) Nov '14 Gremlin 8
News Pastor's credentials lost after gay wedding (Nov '14) Nov '14 Thumper56 4
News Breaking bad: the real deal (Oct '14) Oct '14 Deb Kostiuk 1
More from around the web