Teen Bride Describes Her Wedding Day

Teen Bride Describes Her Wedding Day

There are 24 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 15, 2007, titled Teen Bride Describes Her Wedding Day. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

ST. GEORGE, Utah - A former follower of a polygamous-sect leader sobbed on the witness stand Friday as she described the terror and despair she felt on the eve of her wedding at age 14, and said she became ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
robert smyth

United States

#1 Sep 15, 2007
Our Founders made it clear that the USA was not to recognise any particular religon or religous belief.This bunch of sex sick-os in Utah should be treated as firmly as other law-breakers.Decent members of traditional faiths should be the first to act.Sadistic nuts should not be allowed to be above the law by claiming child Rape is a holy sacrement in the church they just invented.
decent member

New Haven, CT

#2 Sep 15, 2007
What a terrible story of abuse and coercion. As a Muslim, I find such actions to be deeply offensive. Often it is Muslims who are cited as polygamists, but there is no positive moral value ascribed to polygamy in Islam (we do not believe for instance that "polygamy brings exaltation in heaven"). And we certainly do not believe in coerced marriages, as the Prophet Muhammad affirmed the woman's right to choice and consent. Unlike the supposed "prophet" in this story, he did not force women to abide by his marriage recommendations. There are accounts from Muhammad's life where he recommended particular women when men would come to him asking for advice on whom to marry. If the suggested woman refused, the matter was left at that. What happened in the account of the life of this young woman should be condemned by all.
Quadrillion Jackson

York, PA

#4 Sep 25, 2007
When did polygamy become outlawed in the United States?
beatrice

Chicago, IL

#5 Sep 25, 2007
Polygamy became outlawed a long time ago - Utah had to abandon plural marriage to join the Union, and President Lincoln spoke out about it before the Civil War.
Dave

United States

#7 Sep 25, 2007
LOL, decent member, I am sure you are a good upstanding person but ya know what? Over in many Muslim countries the women are treated like dirt. They are kicked, beatern FORCED into marriage, treated by their families as Liabilities, genetially mutilated and more, please, dont tell me Muslims dont do bad things to wives and women! Puuhhlease!! Now, as for you, am sure you are a good person, and not saying all Muslims are that way, certainly not saying that, but come on dude, do you expect everyone to believe what you just said? LOL

“Educate everyone.”

Since: Aug 07

Sacramento, California

#8 Sep 25, 2007
Dave wrote:
LOL, decent member, I am sure you are a good upstanding person but ya know what? Over in many Muslim countries the women are treated like dirt. They are kicked, beatern FORCED into marriage, treated by their families as Liabilities, genetially mutilated and more, please, dont tell me Muslims dont do bad things to wives and women! Puuhhlease!! Now, as for you, am sure you are a good person, and not saying all Muslims are that way, certainly not saying that, but come on dude, do you expect everyone to believe what you just said? LOL
There was no need to attack this guy. I'm sure Muslim fundamentalists are just as bad as Christian fundamentalists. Just because the guy is a Muslim doesn't mean he beats his wife(s).
Lou Pee

United States

#9 Sep 25, 2007
I hate all religions that treat women like animals and dictate their way of life. Aren't Muslim women not allowed show their skin in public? How can anyone condone this? That's like wearing underwear on your head because your religion tells you to.
Mostoccoli

Lake In The Hills, IL

#10 Sep 25, 2007
"Under the Banner of Heaven"
The Truth

Waxahachie, TX

#11 Sep 25, 2007
decent member wrote:
What a terrible story of abuse and coercion. As a Muslim, I find such actions to be deeply offensive. Often it is Muslims who are cited as polygamists, but there is no positive moral value ascribed to polygamy in Islam (we do not believe for instance that "polygamy brings exaltation in heaven"). And we certainly do not believe in coerced marriages, as the Prophet Muhammad affirmed the woman's right to choice and consent. Unlike the supposed "prophet" in this story, he did not force women to abide by his marriage recommendations. There are accounts from Muhammad's life where he recommended particular women when men would come to him asking for advice on whom to marry. If the suggested woman refused, the matter was left at that. What happened in the account of the life of this young woman should be condemned by all.

You said: "And we certainly do not believe in coerced marriages,... If the suggested woman refused, the matter was left at that."

Let us see ...! How many Muslim women were killed because they reused to marry?

Does the woman in Islam realy have a choice?

Muslim women are usually silent in this respect ...

Muhammad said in the Hadith "Her silence means concent".You know why?

... because if she opened her mouth and said "no", she will be killed. That is called "honor killing" and accused of not being a virgin!!

Come on ... tell the world the truth ..
Ange

Shelbyville, IN

#13 Sep 25, 2007
Dave wrote:
LOL, decent member, I am sure you are a good upstanding person but ya know what? Over in many Muslim countries the women are treated like dirt. They are kicked, beatern FORCED into marriage, treated by their families as Liabilities, genetially mutilated and more, please, dont tell me Muslims dont do bad things to wives and women! Puuhhlease!! Now, as for you, am sure you are a good person, and not saying all Muslims are that way, certainly not saying that, but come on dude, do you expect everyone to believe what you just said? LOL
Dave,
Your narrow-minded opinions indicate you're an uneducated man so I'll remind you that other religions, such as Catholicism, have a history of mistreating women. I'm a practicing Catholic, strictly for family obligations, and the Catholic Church has and continues to repress women.

“Educate everyone.”

Since: Aug 07

Sacramento, California

#14 Sep 25, 2007
Ange wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave,
Your narrow-minded opinions indicate you're an uneducated man so I'll remind you that other religions, such as Catholicism, have a history of mistreating women. I'm a practicing Catholic, strictly for family obligations, and the Catholic Church has and continues to repress women.
The Catholic church is one of the worst offenders. Ange, do you remember the picture of Pope whatshisface patting that nun on the head when she went before him to ask him to allow women into the priesthood? I wanted to throw up. He didn't even answer her, just patted her on top of the head like she was a mischievous dog.
Koko

United States

#15 Sep 25, 2007
decent member wrote:
What a terrible story of abuse and coercion. As a Muslim, I find such actions to be deeply offensive. Often it is Muslims who are cited as polygamists, but there is no positive moral value ascribed to polygamy in Islam (we do not believe for instance that "polygamy brings exaltation in heaven"). And we certainly do not believe in coerced marriages, as the Prophet Muhammad affirmed the woman's right to choice and consent. Unlike the supposed "prophet" in this story, he did not force women to abide by his marriage recommendations. There are accounts from Muhammad's life where he recommended particular women when men would come to him asking for advice on whom to marry. If the suggested woman refused, the matter was left at that. What happened in the account of the life of this young woman should be condemned by all.
I wonder as a Muslim if you found it offensive to watch Nick Berg have his head cut off?

Also, what are your thoughts on Gush Katif?
Dave

United States

#16 Sep 26, 2007
Ange wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave,
Your narrow-minded opinions indicate you're an uneducated man so I'll remind you that other religions, such as Catholicism, have a history of mistreating women. I'm a practicing Catholic, strictly for family obligations, and the Catholic Church has and continues to repress women.
Hahaha, Ange, I can almost assure you I am far more educated than you are. I didn't call him a bad person and I didn't say all Muslims are bad people. Again who is the uneducated one here? Get your facts together before you start calling someone something like that. Look at the FACTS. YEs, sure the Catholic religion hasn't been the best to women in the past. They used to make them wear a hat in Church and wouldn't let them become priests. If what I said about Muslims in the middle east as far as their treatment of women, then please, provide facts that prove otherwise. Uneducated? If you think what I said was wrong you are a fool. Go look at how those women are treated over there and dont believe all the PROPOGANDA you see someone writing. I guess you also believe the Iranian President when he said there are no homo_exuals in his country. I didn't attack him, I didn't attack the entire Muslim population, I attacked a majority of it though that still practices those things. Grow up!

“Educate everyone.”

Since: Aug 07

Sacramento, California

#17 Sep 26, 2007
"Hahaha, Ange, I can almost assure you I am far more educated than you are."

An educated man would know not to brag about anything on the internet.
Dave

United States

#18 Sep 26, 2007
Looken,

..........whatever dude! By the way, I never attacked that guy, if you read my first post I complimented him and said I was sure he wasnt that way, but that doesnt mean Muslims aroudn the world are like him.
beatrice

Chicago, IL

#19 Sep 27, 2007
How did a discussion of Mormon fundamentalist polygamy and sexual abuse turn out to be about Muslims and the oppression of women in Islamic culture?
Sanguinec1

Williams Bay, WI

#20 Feb 10, 2008
Dave wrote:
LOL, decent member, I am sure you are a good upstanding person but ya know what? Over in many Muslim countries the women are treated like dirt. They are kicked, beatern FORCED into marriage, treated by their families as Liabilities, genetially mutilated and more, please, dont tell me Muslims dont do bad things to wives and women! Puuhhlease!! Now, as for you, am sure you are a good person, and not saying all Muslims are that way, certainly not saying that, but come on dude, do you expect everyone to believe what you just said? LOL
I agree with a lot of what people have said in response to this person. It seems as though many people, no matter the religion, have taken it upon themselves to interpret the religion how they want and use that interpretation to hide their abuse of other people. Sickly enough, these people often have followers who support their abuse and commit the abuse themselves. Hitler had incredible leadership powers, but used them for evil horrible purposes, what if he had used those leadership powers for the betterment of the world?
hmmm

Lake Zurich, IL

#21 Feb 10, 2008
Sanguinec1 wrote:
It seems as though many people, no matter the religion, have taken it upon themselves to interpret the religion how they want and use that interpretation to hide their abuse of other people.
Sadly, they don't use religion to HIDE their abuse of other people -- they use it to CONDONE their abuse of others.
Tex

Spring, TX

#22 Jun 2, 2008
But according to Fat Willie, it is not going to happen in texas anymore.
Gfarhaaz

Christchurch, New Zealand

#23 Jun 8, 2008
The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You said: "And we certainly do not believe in coerced marriages,... If the suggested woman refused, the matter was left at that."
Let us see ...! How many Muslim women were killed because they reused to marry?
Does the woman in Islam realy have a choice?
Muslim women are usually silent in this respect ...
Muhammad said in the Hadith "Her silence means concent".You know why?
... because if she opened her mouth and said "no", she will be killed. That is called "honor killing" and accused of not being a virgin!!
Come on ... tell the world the truth ..
Yeh whomever u are, i would love to see what hadith you are quoting, BECAUSE YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT. and btw, islam liberated women because they where treated like dirt. islam was first religion ever to give women equal rights, to let them have their say in marrage. in islam, its one of the 10 commandments that u cannot kill anyone.especialy if they are innocent. and for your information, yes, the women have a dam choice!!, the reason islam was brought about was because the MEN MISTREATED THE WOMEN!!! Allah gave them equal rights. As a muslim women, i choose to wear hijab so strange men dont give me unwanted sexual attention!! and i have u know that the 10 commandments are the same in the torah, gospel, and quran. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! i think you need to refer to yusuf estes, he has your questions and answers. www.islamtomorrow.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 6 hr NoMo 7,209
News End of Boy Scouts' ban on gays prompts elation ... 12 hr VeganTiger 126
News Mormons keep affiliation with Boy Scouts despit... Thu tongangodz 2
News VANCOUVER MORMON TEMPLE: LDS Church opens templ... (Apr '10) Thu hello 19
News Mormons keep affiliation with Boy Scouts despit... Aug 26 Marcavage s Trick 1
News Rumors of Mormon Wars (Jan '13) Aug 26 Rupert P Jigglybo... 14
News Now they t ell us: Mormon church says bishop ac... (Apr '09) Aug 25 Joe Smith 7
More from around the web