Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32096 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

Father overtime

United States

#20512 Feb 21, 2013
concerned in Egypt wrote:
<quoted text>
well I really have laugh at you. YOU are the dumbest of the Dumb Dumbs
OK lets take your illogical to its dumb dumb end.
Ten commandments were for just the Jews of Moses's day so its OK to take your wife steal your car to transport her in and end your life on the way out to the garage because none of that message was for today.
Yep you are not the brightest bulb in the pack.
If you learn to comprehend what you are reading, exactly who did the writing, and who was he writing to? It wasn't to you or me. You must be 5 years old calling everybody dumb dumb. Just sayin.
concerned in Egypt

Aberdeen, UK

#20513 Feb 21, 2013
Father overtime wrote:
<quoted text>
If you learn to comprehend what you are reading, exactly who did the writing, and who was he writing to? It wasn't to you or me. You must be 5 years old calling everybody dumb dumb. Just sayin.
Actually I have and as I have demonstrated from scripture that I comprehend that you don't your claim is empty.

If you have not been paying attention I call those who engage me in name calling first dumb dumbs.

I figured from all your posts illogical and just name calling that this would be one of your 5 year old tricks to try. That you would say that someone must be a 5 year old for calling everybody a dumb dumb.

I don't call everybody dumb dumb that is just your DRAMA QUEEN coming out again and I call those dumb like yourself who open up the box first and then to see if there here to debate or just slander.

YOU failed the test big time.

So the Evidence something LDS here post very little of and you absolutely none.

Three posts to me from you in the last two days.

Trying to prove faith again? When will you dorks realize you can't prove anything. Proclaiming Truth without actual proof is a lie. I have faith of truth but don't proclaim that I know it's the truth. Bunch of liars on this board. Shameful.

Faith matters more than your supposed truth that you pretend to comprehend liar

I'm not sure these bible thumpers have the credentials to say what a Christian is and what a Christian isn't. Bunch of numbskulls.

So previous to calling you a dumb dumb you chose to call me LIAR, Bible Thumper and numbskull and now some how you pretend to be offended LOL ROFL.

So I call you what your are a HYPOCRITE. Just sayin. LOL
concerned in Egypt

Aberdeen, UK

#20514 Feb 21, 2013
Oh missed Dorks above like somehow that's better than dumb dumb.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#20515 Feb 21, 2013
<quoted text>
The forum is about whether LDS Mormons are Christian.
It is not about me.
My definition of Christian is irrelevant.
My religious background is irrelevant.
Whether you are going to hell or not is irrelevant that's your choice.
How you are saved is irrelevant to this forum other than the fact how Christians have believed one is saved for the last 2000 years differs from how Mormons believed one is saved for the past 180 years of so.
My post and Posts that you have posted to are not a dodge as you try to imply as you ignore the 6 pages of LDS prophets and apostles I quoted teaching contray to what again Christians have taught for 2000 years.
Christianity is defined in the Bible not me it is defined by what Christians believed and taught in the Bible.
LDS teachings directly contradict it.
For one the Bible teaches there is only one REAL God and Christians have been and are monotheistic. LDS are polytheistic and believe in many REAL Gods and thus are not Christian.
Shall I continue with the facts.
Ok, then what does the Bible say a Christian is? Sum it up for me.

I totally believe that to us there is only one REAL God. God the Father. We are on the same page there.

Really, I think you are implying that I believe a lot of things that I don't believe. You look at things that were not published by the church and claim it is said by the church.

It's rather ridiculous. It would be like following this silly story line: My friend is a member of Bob's Church. My friend spoke in a Bob's Church meeting and said that he feels that in order to be saved in Bob's church we shouldn't use plastic wrap to wrap our sandwiches. Some one wrote down what my friend said, published it in a book and sold it to make some money.
-Now you enter the scene, read the book and say: "Well, Bob's church is stupid because this guy said in a Bob's church meeting that members shouldn't use plastic wrap. By extension I can say that Bob's Church doesn't like the Saran company who makes the majority of plastic wrap and Bob's Church obviously hates oil companies because oil companies provide the plastic stock used to make plastic wrap. Also, Bob's Church oppresses women, because everyone knows that women in Bob's Church generally make a lot of sandwiches, and sandwiches are most easily prepared and wrapped in plastic wrap and Bob's church hate's plastic wrap.

That is pretty much the story I see unfolded by many of the posts you and Dana post. Lets get back to the cornerstones and foundation of the church, the things we actually believe. Christ is our foundation. He is our Savior and through him we can be saved from death and hell and we can look forward to the glorious day of our resurrection when we will be united with him.

Use church published materials.

Location hidden

#20516 Feb 21, 2013
<quoted text>
ARE you that daft read
Ro 8:17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
Gal 3:29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Eph 3:6 This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.
Tit 3:7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.
Heb 6:17 Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath.
Heb 11:9 By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise.
1Pe 3:7 Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers
They are heirs because they both have faith in Jesus the Christ.
NOT because they are married.
The verse says they won't be married they will be like the Angles
Marriage ends at death.
Again I could give you full lesson on this from the Bible scripture but that not the threads Premise.
What is if if Mormons are Christians and again because you believe contrary to what Christians believe today and Yesterday all the way to 33 AD you are not Christian.
Undoubtedly we are saved because of Christ and not because we are married. The point is that husband and wife can be partakers of salvation TOGETHER.

Location hidden

#20517 Feb 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
There isn't one in the current Ensign. But I have seen them.
Would you like to post a pdf or picture for us? To my knowledge, the ensign has always been published by the Church.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#20518 Feb 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
If what I say hurts, it's because the truth can hurt.
Correct: exposing your agenda,

hurt your credibility.

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#20519 Feb 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
No you don't, he use to be a man.
<quoted text>
Jesus said he will build his church and the gates of hades shall not over come it. I believe Jesus, not Joseph.
Yes, he became a man because he did his DUTY... even though it may have been unpleasant... and he didn't preach against his Church or his teachings or his Prophets... you do that.

By doing his Duty he became OUR Heavenly Father.

If you believe Jesus why did you say you would
"CRUCIFY HIM PERSONALLY?"

sportxmouse

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#20520 Feb 21, 2013
typo above... Heavenly Father was a man... and became our Heavenly Father by doing his DUTY...

Location hidden

#20521 Feb 21, 2013
<quoted text>
DEVIL worshipers can and do believe in Christ DEVIL worshipers believe in God DEVIL worshipers know he Jesus is there savior and his sacrifice is the only thing that gets them into heaven yet like a follower of LDS beliefs and Like those who put their faith in LDS Theology they are not going to heaven and they are not Christians.
So like the DEVIL worshiper no it is not a enough to get to heaven.
Because DEVIL worshipers believe the same thing you just posted and they don't have the right to be called Christians.
But even to complicate matters even worse for the LDS you don't even believe in the same Jesus as does a DEVIL Worshipper your Jesus your Christ he never existed the LDS Jesus is a lie, the LDS put their Faith in a non Biblical fictional Christ that does not come close to the Historical Jesus the Christ revealed in Gods word.
WHAT you think or I think does not Matter.
What the Bible declares is a Christian is what matters.
You can say you are a cow till the cows come home but you are not a cow.
A follower of Jesus the Christ and what he taught is what the Bible declares is a Christian you don't follow the Teachings of Jesus you follow the teachings of the LDS sect which contradict the teachings of Jesus in the Bible on so many major and minor issues that its like a rodent claiming its a Bird and it can't even fly.
If you are LDS you do not have the right to call your self a Christian the Bible says so not me.
Just READ it ONE GOD there are no others.
LDS Many Gods you can become GOD because GOD was once a man like us.
BUT GOD says in the Bible he is eternal, existed before ALL Creation and he GOD is unchanging.
You can't reconcile LDS teachings with what Jesus believed and taught.
PERIOD.
LDS want their cake and to eat it too.
Truth Matters
Ok, so who IS Christian?

Alright. I guess you got us. You have convinced me. We are not Christians because our view of the Godhead breaks with post-New Testament Christian history and returns to the teachings of Jesus Christ Himself.

Harper's Bible dictionary, written by 180 members of the Society of Biblical Literature, reports that "the formal doctrine of the Trinity as it was defined by the great church councils of the fourth and fifth centuries is NOT to be found in the [New Testament]. Faul F. Achtemeier, ed.(1985), 1099; emphasis added.

We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. We believe that these three persons form a single Godhead which is united in purpose, manner, and mission. They have the same godly characteristics of love, mercy, justice, grace, and redemption. We believe they are one in every aspect imaginable except we do not believe them to be three persons combined in one substance. That idea is a Trinitarian idea that was never in the scriptures because it is false.

How is one to love, trust, worship and strive to be like some one who is unknowable and incomprehensible?

How can we receive eternal life from an unknowable and incomprehensible God when Jesus Christ said "this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou has sent?"

I am not here to demean anyone's belief, but to ask that you at least accept that we do have a basis for calling ourselves Christians.

If you tell me that I am not Christian because I do not hold a 4th or 5th century view of the Godhead then, by so doing, you exclude many of the first Christians Saints who were an eyewitness of the living Christ- who did not hold such a view either. It is evident from the scriptures that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are separate persons, as seen in the martyrdom of Stephen, the great Intercessory Prayer, the Mount of Transfiguration, and Christ's baptism.

I fail to see why the idea of a God with a body is so "unChristian." If the idea of God with a body is so "unChristian" why did the Lord Jesus Christ redeem His body?

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#20522 Feb 21, 2013
Father overtime wrote:
I'm not sure these bible thumpers have the credentials to say what a Christian is and what a Christian isn't. Bunch of numbskulls.
I'm sure Mormon leaders don't

Location hidden

#20523 Feb 21, 2013
<quoted text>
No they LDS have not always taught we have the same form as Spirits as we do our physical bodies but hey if I am wrong quote your MORMON Scriptures that prove me wrong. Redeemer no fringe or unofficial LDS documents.
I await your proof.
But the point was not if LDS teach it, the point that you did a dance around is Christians have never taught it from Christianity's inception till today.
That is why Mormons are not Christians
You can not discredit the idea of a God with a body with out discrediting and dismissing both the mortal and resurrect Christ. If you are claiming to be a Christian, surely you wouldn't want to do that.

Marysville, CA

#20524 Feb 21, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, he became a man because he did his DUTY... even though it may have been unpleasant... and he didn't preach against his Church or his teachings or his Prophets... you do that.
You're God started out as a man. That means when you claim he was the same yesterday, today, and forever, you lie.
By doing his Duty he became OUR Heavenly Father.
If you believe Jesus why did you say you would
"CRUCIFY HIM PERSONALLY?"
Stop lying Carol.

Marysville, CA

#20525 Feb 21, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you like to post a pdf or picture for us? To my knowledge, the ensign has always been published by the Church.
Published by the church or now, I have seen it. I believe it was in the "I have a question" section. If I can find it, I will post it.

“ Soon: too late to protest”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#20526 Feb 21, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>LOL!!! I am not acquainted with common sense or logic, yet you are the one posting south park websites as a place to gain truth?? I have actually seen that episode of south park and found it quite funny. I have a sense humor. However, looking to south park for gospel truth is ludicrous. If you want the truth about something, ask people who practice it. Hell, ask people who have left it. Even many of them will give you truth. but asking a person who has never practiced the faith is ridiculous. Get your head out of the sand.
Btw way, DUMB is a person who can not speak or hear. I think you were looking for a different term :)
1. I’ve posted plenty of times where ex-Mormons warn people, so why didn’t you b’tch about them? Because you know your criticism is dumb. I posted the link to South Park for people who are too dumb to get it unless it’s explained in the simplest terms.

2. Here’s my response to your last dumb comment:
dumb
/d&#652;m/ Show Spelled [duhm] Show IPA adjective, dumb·er, dumb·est, verb
adjective
1. lacking intelligence or good judgment; stupid; dull-witted.
2. lacking the power of speech (often offensive when applied to humans): a dumb animal.
3. temporarily unable to speak: dumb with astonishment.
4. refraining from any or much speech; silent.
5. made, done, etc., without speech.

Notice the FIRST, MAIN DEFINITION???
You could have looked that up yourself, just so you didn’t look really dumb, but you seem to also be lazy, or maybe the only thing that mattered was finding as much BS as you could use to criticize me, even though you’re always wrong. I don’t see how that can be worth the effort.

“ Soon: too late to protest”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#20527 Feb 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether Mormonism is true or false is a matter of opinion, just like the belief that Jesus is God and the Jews didn't recognize him is a matter of opinion to.
Any way, the dead sea scrolls are copies of other copies. The Dead sea scrolls lay buried for some 1800 years before being found that would match other ancient writings in the OT.
So the BOM has only been around for shy of 200 years. And you're pretty confident that nothing hidden in the ground on the Americas will never be found that might validate one or more things in the BOM? What, do you have a seer stone like Smith to make that judgement?:)
No, just common sense, evidence, testimonies, and the courage to accept the truth, whether it's what I want or not.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#20528 Feb 21, 2013
<quoted text>
Who
CARES?
Either way its not Christian, your ship is sinking and burning at the same time and you are worried what time lunch is.
Umm, you should care if what you were trying to establish was truth based on historical facts? But since you don't care if what you said had a total contradiction, that means you don't care if what you post about Mormons is an out right lie or the truth.
That means you prove you're willing to tell a whopper of a lie to just have something to say. And that speaks a lot about your character that you obviously don't care about. It's called self disrespect.
Now if you were an honest type individual, you would have cared and would have said something to the effect of, "No, I didn't see that contradiction. I thought they lined up all the settlers and the settlers willingly let those Mormon elders slit there throats so they could fulfil their blood atonement doctrine. I didn't know that most all those settlers were shot and stabbed to death. You're correct. Being shot and stabbed to death does not meet the requirement of death for the blood atonement doctrine that Young made specifications about, to use a knife on the throat. Gee, thanks for that clarification! I would rather post what is true than a lie."

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#20529 Feb 21, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
You're idiot if you see agreement in our posts,.
lol...there was agreement. You agreed with yourself not to answer the question and I agreed you agreed not to answer the question...debate coward, how you you be anything less?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#20530 Feb 21, 2013
I am also anti-lie
lol...self proclaimed liar...lol.

You just posted historical information along with an opinion that contradicted itself as an out right lie. You agreed that the MMM was done from the blood atonement doctrine that requires the throat to be slit by a (usually)willing victim.
The settlers were shot and stabbed at two main points. They were shot at while encircled and died. Than thinking they were under truce, they were ambushed while walking and were shot and stabbed to death very quickly.
No blood atonement method was used (slicing the throat by a knife) during that massacre that is known of.
Since you claimed the blood atonement doctrine/method was used for that massacre, you lied. Kind of simple understand?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#20531 Feb 21, 2013
<quoted text>
The only conclusion we can come to is you are a liar as you still have not posted a quote from LDS scripture that states we had Spirits that look like our Bodies do now.
Hey dumb dumb just wondering have you really thought this one through.
Did our Spirits look like us when we were 2 months old, 2 years old 20 years old or 45 years old or 98 years old.
Yeh you are a dumb dumb that is clear and not a Christian to boot.
You didn't read the information. If you had read it which you didn't, and since you claim you did but you didn't, you made a liar of yourself AGAIN.
See, if you had actually read that information, you would have understood that the design of the physical body was to conform it to the shape of the spirit/intelligence that would possess it.
But you din't read that info and you claimed you read it. That means you call yourself a liar.
Have a nice day now :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Defending the Faith: Intelligent design vs. 'Go... 12 hr Subduction Zone 149
News Gay Rights Group Slams Judge Who Called Rapist ... Sat Christardy 5
News This Mormon is an Easter Episcopalian Apr 20 No Surprise 4
News Opposing sides in Mormon rift unite for survey ... Apr 13 No Surprise 14
News Mormons: We are Christians, too (Apr '07) Apr 13 No Surprise 28,908
News Joseph Smith's Arrest Records Found (Jun '08) Apr 7 MurphyMobile 46
News Choosing to Stay in the Mormon Church Despite I... (Aug '16) Apr 7 Rabbeen Al Jihad 444
More from around the web