Southern Baptists vs. the Mormons ht...

Southern Baptists vs. the Mormons http://www.slate.com/id/2180391/

Chuck

Redwood City, CA

#1 Dec 26, 2007
So, it sounds like Baptists make great Mormons. From this article I see now why the Anti-Mormon rhetoric has become so engaging the last few decades, 40% of Mormon converts coming from the Baptist background, wow no wonder the Anti-Mormon topic has become a multi-million dollar industry. Like it says:

In the early 1980s, Southern Baptist Convention leaders discovered—much to their horror—that 40 percent of Mormonism's 217,000 converts in 1980 came from Baptist backgrounds. More than 150 Mormon missionaries had descended on the northern Georgia area alone, a Southern Baptist magazine noted warily in 1982, and they found Southern Baptists among their most promising targets. When the Mormon Church built temples in the early '80s in Atlanta and Dallas, two of Southern Baptism's most important hubs, it was as if the Mormon Church had thrown down the gauntlet in an arms race between two of the most missionary-minded faiths. Mormonism was declaring its permanent presence in the American South, where Southern Baptism enjoyed status as the de facto religion.

And the SBC got serious about tempering the expansion of what was becoming the fastest-growing religion in the world. They developed programs, trained pastors, hosted Mormonism-awareness conferences, and published articles to help spread the message to Southern Baptists that Mormonism was a dangerous cult religion they had to avoid. The SBC's Sunday School Board developed an instruction kit, "The Christian Confronting the Cults," that covered five religious groups: the Mormon Church, Jehovah's Witnesses, the Worldwide Church of God, the Unification Church (the Moonies), and Christian Scientists. The book quickly became the Sunday School Board's top-selling item.

The Baptist Film Centers even purged two films produced by Brigham Young University from its distribution lists. Neither film addressed doctrinal issues, but the Southern Baptist Convention dropped the titles so as not to appear approving of Mormon-produced messages.

All of these efforts against Mormonism, an SBC magazine explained, were "to help Baptists witness to Mormons without becoming 'Mormonized' themselves."

http://www.slate.com/id/2180391/

This pretty much sums what why the EVs have such a problem with the Mormons.....sheepstealing!!!!

In the end it will be their demise as it whittles away at their moral character and religious credibility as a body of Christ.
Do SB object to the idea that their leaders chose to do this which seems so reminiscent of teaching people to hate and fear others?

If I were a SB and read the Slate article for the first time, I would wonder what there was in Mormonism which made my church so afraid of it that they would misrepresent what the church was about. It would prompt me to inquire.

It would also make me wonder if my own SBC were a real cult because it developed a specific curriculum intending to isolate me from those I might encounter by teaching me to fear and hate those who thought differently.

I'd be really concerned that my faith did not believe it was sufficient to stand on its own feet without tearing down others. And I'd be mad no one had told me that the reason they were spewing all this anti- material is because they saw numbers that made them concerned about loosing their flocks.
Larry

Redwood City, CA

#2 Dec 26, 2007
Saw this on a Mormon forum about this same article that I thought was interesting:

Kolob is such a non-issue. The word "Kokob" (which also appears in the BoA) is a transliterated Hebrew word meaning "star." The word Kokob sounds weird, but only when one doesn't realize it comes from another language. Once one understands this fact, the word "Kolob" isn't much different. by Zeta-Flux
Larry

Redwood City, CA

#3 Dec 26, 2007
Oh yeah, another observation from some of the blogers was that they didn't think these answers really came from the Church. Dummy article.

Ann wrote:
I'm not so sure this was given by the First Presidency for one very simple reason. The answers use the term Mormon. I don't think the FP would use that term, I think they would say The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints every chance they got.

I think she's might be right because wasn't there a directive from the First Presidency not too long ago on how to use the name of the Church in all correspondents or public articles so that we are not confused with the Fundamental Mormons and not to use Mormon but LDS for that reason?
Larry

Redwood City, CA

#4 Dec 26, 2007
Hey Chuck,
Did you see my answer in the other forum about your question on the 80 percent?
Chaplain

Redwood City, CA

#5 Dec 26, 2007
This is a quote given by Elder Vaughn J. Featherstone as he quoted President Spencer W Kimball.
"President Spencer W. Kimball stated, "Make no small plans, they have no magic to stir mans souls. This is the Vision I have for the South. I believe one day the South will baptize more people into the church than all other English speaking missions in the World together. There are hosts of marvelous Baptists, members of the Church of Christ, Methodists, and Catholics, who are honorable people and have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and love him. As they see their church veering off to the right of the left of those basic teachings, they will begin to search for truth. And as pivitol teachers come into the church and have influence, we will see the time when we will baptize hundreds, and thousands, tens-of-thousands, in your day you will see a million members of the church in the South. There will be Temples plural in the South State. What a great call you have to serve with these marvelous people." Vaughn J. Featherstone
Deborah

Samaria, MI

#6 Dec 28, 2007
I have a hard time understanding why they dislike Mormons so much...I was shocked at how many of them were bigots but this elections has really brought them out of the woodworks. There is talk of good people going for a third party in future elections.
Piss on it

United States

#7 Dec 29, 2007
Larry, I still have not heard back from NASA in regards to sending a man to Kolob.

I also have not heard back from Cal Tech either asking where to look in the sky for Kolob.
tex

Duarte, CA

#8 May 9, 2008
Last one. For now.
Last Champion

West Jordan, UT

#9 May 9, 2008
Believe in a God or Higher Power (Hell... I do), or whatever word humans have created or used to call the infinite everything of space, time and creation of us... that's fine.

Nothing wrong with being spiritual and pondering what's up with all this evolution of the mind, body, and soul while we are alive.

HOWEVER:(and this is a big however)

To claim that you or someone (that you've never met face to face before in your lifetime) spoke to god (or his son for that matter),... and that they told you how to act, think, and feel by using humans to form an incomplete book written of so-called facts by flawed humans only through inspiration, IS INSANE!!!!(how many other books have been written through inspiration, or were almost chosen for the bible?)

To claim that you know the only and one true way to so-called heaven... yet not know what heaven looks like or even if it's there, let alone know all the answers of this living conundrum we call existance, IS INSANE!!!!

To claim that our scapegoat named satan tempts us to win our souls from an inter-spacial relm because of a dis-agreement of opinions, IS INSANE!!!!

To claim that Jesus actually said, or did this or that, with 100% accuracy as the literal word, wishes, and acts of god IS INSANE!!!!

To claim that a god told you anything about who you are or how to live your life before you die... IS INSANE!!!!

----------

QUESTIONS:(some humour and deep thought required)

How do we really know for sure that god doesn't speak to us through heavy metal to kill our parents, or to shoot your dog, or even end your own life... isn't god's will?

Other than the bible, or any other claimed RELIGIOUS BOOK... how do we know exactly what is real and what is myth/legends to scare people straight?(Just because the cities and time periods match doesn't mean the stories are 100% accuratley told from a third person point of veiw on what happened 2000 years ago... ever played the telephone game?)

If 100% of the religions out there claim to be the one true religion of god... doesn't that mean that 99% of them are a lie?

Why is it, when you have an imaginary friend named bob... you're a crazy person? Yet if you have an imaginary friend named god and a 2000 year old dead friend named Jesus... you're normal?(I'm sure there have been plenty of books written about a great bob somewhere before)

Other than your human emotions caused by your brain about a feeling you have inside that makes you feel good or bad about something... how do you really know anything about why we are here or where we are going other than what you read in a book that only had books chosen as a way to make Jesus more divine than mortal?

----------

These are just some opinions and questions I have on the whole religion topic. I think that ALL RELIGIONS (FLDS, LDS, Christian, Muslim... etc.) are just as good as they are evil. But I also think it's because they are controlled by man... and not god. God didn't create religion, man did. In doing so we have re-created an unknown god that we can't even begin to comprehend in our own image, to help us battle our mortal fears about this life and what might happen after death. Nothing more. That being said... we have let ourselves become our own slave masters, which makes us easier targets to believe in our own bullsh!t that makes our lives easier for that moment in time. People do good and bad things because they choose to... not because satan or god made them do it.

(No... you don't have to be Mormon to live in Utah)

A.K.A. Last Champion
larry

Overland Park, KS

#10 May 9, 2008
Piss on it wrote:
Larry, I still have not heard back from NASA in regards to sending a man to Kolob.
I also have not heard back from Cal Tech either asking where to look in the sky for Kolob.
That is because you do not understand that like much of the Book of Gensis the Book of Abraham is not literal but is figurative. God had to teach Abraham truth that his limited human Language could not fully understand. So he was taught useing what he could understand. After all the Hebrew language has only a few thousand words try to teach something that we understand today useing just ancient languages. You have to use metaphores and you will still not be able top carry over the full thought. Or just go back to say 1850 and teach artificial insemination, or nuclear science or for that matter a simple space shuttle launch.
Nicki

Spring, TX

#11 Jul 2, 2008
Are you the Larry off of Dharma and Greg? Seems like a few circuits might have been blown. Better go flip your breaker switch and see if you can get yourself started up again. Better yet, how about some jumper cables and car batteries?
Cort

Makawao, HI

#12 Oct 5, 2011
The church is true, the book is blue!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Female Deacons: Pope Francis Walks It Back, Wom... 19 hr Julie Chance 6
News Who says Mormons aren't Christians? (Oct '11) May 26 Raydot 31,994
News Romney appeals to evangelicals through - Judeo-... (Sep '12) May 26 Tony Perkins Faith 2
News No gays in heaven? Avoiding new Mormon folk doc... May 10 Just Me 4
News Openly gay rock singer changing tune on Mormon ... May 4 Wondering 4
News Your morning jolt: Mormonism is more like Islam... (Oct '11) Apr 30 Three Days 115
News LDS Church announces 11 new general authorities... Apr '16 Lonnie 2
More from around the web