Ajax, Canada

#1 Feb 4, 2013
Hi,

I have an important question to ask.

Mishnah
Seder Nezikin, Tractate Sanhedrin
Chapter 4, Mishnah 5

English Translation
How to caution the witnesses in (cases concerning) life: They enter and are cautioned thus: "Maybe you heard a supposition, or hearsay, or by the mouth of another witness, or by the mouth of a man you trust, or maybe you don't know that you will be checked with examination and investigation. Know that cases of life are not like cases of money! Cases of money, a man gives money and atones through this. In cases of life,(he is responsible for) his blood and the blood of his offspring that would have come until the end of the world," like we see with Cain who murdered his brother, as it is written, "The bloods of your brother calls to me" (Genesis 4:10). It does not say the 'blood' of your brother but rather the 'bloods' of your brother, his blood and the blood of his offspring. Another explanation: The 'bloods' of your brother (refers to the idea that) his blood spilled on the trees and on the rocks. Therefore a single person is created to teach that if any causes a single life to be lost, it is on him as if he has lost a whole world, and if anyone saves a single life, it is on him as if he saved a whole world. It is because of the peace of creation that no man shall say to his fellow "my father is greater than your father" and no heretical groups shall say "many rule in heaven." To tell of the greatness of the Holy One, Blessed be He, that man stamps many coins with one seal, and each is like the other, but the King, King of Kings, the Holy One, Blessed be He, stamps every man with the seal of Adam and not one of them is like his fellow. Therefore every man must say "for my sake was the world created." Maybe you [the witness being cautioned] will say: "What is this trouble for us?" On this it is said, "And he witnessed or saw or knew, if didn't say anything, he bears the sin" (Leviticus 5:1). Or maybe you will say "Why is his blood-guilt on us?" On this it is said, "There is rejoicing when the wicked perish" (Proverbs 11:10).
Here the bolded part are words of rabbi or is it the oral law given to Moses?
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Mishnah/Seder_N...

Here the bolded part are words of rabbi or is it the oral law given to Moses?\

Your prompt reply will be apprectate
Thanks

Hugh

Since: Feb 13

Ajax, Canada

#2 Feb 4, 2013
Actually this text I am interested in.

The 'bloods' of your brother (refers to the idea that) his blood spilled on the trees and on the rocks. Therefore a single person is created to teach that if any causes a single life to be lost, it is on him as if he has lost a whole world, and if anyone saves a single life, it is on him as if he saved a whole world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Judaism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 9 min Truth is Truth 212,370
eternal life (Apr '14) 3 hr Phoenix Ascended 11
Black Hebrew Israelites (Feb '11) 15 hr HughBe 695
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 23 hr JOEL 71,559
Forbidden Knowledge History of the Khazar Empire (Aug '12) Wed Eric 1,128
ARCHEOLOGISTs AGREE: MOSES NEVER EXISTED--See t... (Jan '12) Tue rabbee yehoshooah... 114
Netanyahu: Emerging deal with Iran would assure... Tue Jeff Brightone 1
More from around the web