And the Sun Stood Still

Posted in the Judaism Forum

Since: Feb 13

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Mar 1, 2013
AND THE SUN STOOD STILL

It is amazing to see how religious Scholars from almost all quarters of religious life struggle so hard to prove that a day is missing in the history of the universe which can be explained only by the "miracle" that the sun stood still so that the Israelites could win a decisive battle at the conquest of Ganaan, so they assert.

Vanity of vanities! When will vanity fade? The answer is in the same chapter of Joshua for how and why the sun stood still.

According to Moses Maimonides in his Book "Guide for the Perplexed" most references to the sun, moon and stars, falling or standing, moving or standing still, are references to the powers that be.

When Joshua entered the Land of Canaan with a power unmatched by any other power in the world of then, five Canaanite kings got into a strong coalition composed by the city states of Jerusalem, Hebron, Jarmuth, Lachish and Eglon in order to be able to stop Joshua. That's when the epic myth that the sun stood still came about and here is how, according to Joshua 10:13-27.

As the Israelites were faring better in the battle and pursuing the enemies, the above coalition of kings got into the cave of Makkedah and stood still in the hope to keep the secret of their hiding place.

Somehow, Joshua was told that they were hiding in that cave and he ordered that a stone wall be built at the entrance to the cave, set some soldiers to watch outside and ordered the Israelites to keep on fighting and pursuing the enemy armies while the kings stood still and until the battle was over. It was a long day so-to-speak as the powers that be stood still until Joshua had achieved complete victory. Then he ordered the cave to be open and the kings to be brought out and over to be punished with death.

That's when the sun stood still until the war was over. That's all. No mystery about a natural miracle. Just a strategy of Joshua to make sure the enemy kings (sun and moon) stood still until the war was over.

Shibolet

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#2 Mar 3, 2013
Part of a day?
I looked at latitude, since that was the same for the two places, and the end of the day the hurried west. And further east ridges blocked the sun sooner as added factor.

Since: Feb 13

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Mar 4, 2013
MAAT wrote:
Part of a day?
I looked at latitude, since that was the same for the two places, and the end of the day the hurried west. And further east ridges blocked the sun sooner as added factor.
I am afraid this is a non-sequitur.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#4 Mar 5, 2013
Let's go for 28 explanations.
;)
http://www.balashon.com/2010/01/shibolet.html

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#5 Mar 5, 2013
The sun dimmed/ceased AND the moon stayed.
I'm afraid declaring my arguement non-sequitur, still does not give us the proper rationale.
It might also have been the moon shifting in fron t of the sun (always usefull for dating events)
http://www.foundationsforfreedom.net/Referenc...

And where/how does the grammar point out it's about the kings?

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#6 Mar 5, 2013
I recall a discussion like this, where we later got an explanation as to how a day was returned.
(The dreadfull thread on the calendar and absolute truth.)

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#7 Mar 5, 2013
Mechon mamre.
Action of god and man are interwoven.
Joshua had ridden all night, so came on the battle in what you might call the middle of the day.

The worst of the enemy defeated and upon that day, presuming evening, stars sighted. Thus beginning of the day.(old Europe had the same way of counting day. Eveningfall was the end of the day, nightfall the new day. So it can't have been a change in calender reckoning, though maybe it was. So an allegory for a different start and end of the day. Though the action is not all on that same day. Nor the same location.)

11 And it came to pass, as they fled from before Israel, while they were at the descent of Beth-horon, that the LORD cast down great stones from heaven upon them unto Azekah, and they died; they were more who died with the hailstones than they whom the children of Israel slew with the sword.{S}

They could still have thrown stones themselves.
Helping along a bit givn the terrain. Otherwise a good one to sooth a guilty conscience: god as thunderstorm.

12 Then spoke Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel; and he said in the sight of Israel:'Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Aijalon.'

b' usally translated as in. Though whether that's correct?(You seem to suggest they were walled in the valley)

13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the nation had avenged themselves of their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jashar? And the sun stayed in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day

Well no book of Jasher ever found, alas.

14. and[...] not a day like that before it or after it, that the LORD hearkened unto the voice of a man; for the LORD fought for Israel.{S}

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#8 Mar 5, 2013
Holman Bible Dictionary
Makkedah
(mak kee' duh) Name meaning,Place of shepherds, of a Canaanite city, the site of Joshua's rout of the combined forces of five Canaanite kings (Joshua 10:10 ). The kings sought refuge in nearby caves but were trapped there (Joshua 10:16 ). Joshua captured the city, killing all its population (Joshua 10:28 ). Later, Makkedah was assigned to the Shephelah (lowland) district of Judah (Joshua 15:4-1 ). Suggested locations include: Eusebius' suggestion of a site eight and a half miles from Eleutheropolis (Beit Jibrin); tell es-Safi south of Hulda (Libnah); el-Muqhar (the Caves) southwest of Ekron; and a site between Lachish and Hebron.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#9 Mar 5, 2013
The 1901 Jewish Encyclopedia
Jewish Encyclopedia

Hebrew Lexicon ■מ&#14 63;קּ& #1461;דָ ה

City situated, according to the Priestly description of tribal boundaries and groups of cities contained in the Book of Joshua (xv:41), among the foot-hills bordering upon Judah and extending westward to the maritime plain. It is mentioned also several times in the narrative (Josh. x.) of the pursuit of the routed forces of the allied southern kings by the Israelites under Joshua, and once (xii:16) in the list of the princes conquered during the southern campaign. Apparently Makkedah was a stronghold of some importance, being deemed worthy of especial mention side by side with Libnah, Lachish, and Hebron (x:28-37). Near the city was a large cave in which the five allies sought refuge. When this was reported to Joshua he ordered the exit of the cave to be blocked by boulders and guarded. The army then followed the fleeing enemy and accomplished its utter defeat. On its return to Makkedah the five kings were led out and executed.

The site of Makkedah is much in doubt. Warren was the first to identify it with the modern Al-Mughar ("the cave"), several miles southwest from Ekron, and about eight miles from the sea and twenty-five miles from Gibeon. The determining reason for this identification is the presence of caves at Al-Mughar. According to Major Conder it is the only site in the Shefelah where caves are to be found. Eusebius declared that Makkedah was eight miles east of Eleutheropolis, but this seems incredible.

S. F. K. S.

Since: Feb 13

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Mar 6, 2013
MAAT wrote:
The 1901 Jewish Encyclopedia
Jewish Encyclopedia
Hebrew Lexicon ■מ&#14 63;קּ& #1461;דָ ה
City situated, according to the Priestly description of tribal boundaries and groups of cities contained in the Book of Joshua (xv:41), among the foot-hills bordering upon Judah and extending westward to the maritime plain. It is mentioned also several times in the narrative (Josh. x.) of the pursuit of the routed forces of the allied southern kings by the Israelites under Joshua, and once (xii:16) in the list of the princes conquered during the southern campaign. Apparently Makkedah was a stronghold of some importance, being deemed worthy of especial mention side by side with Libnah, Lachish, and Hebron (x:28-37). Near the city was a large cave in which the five allies sought refuge. When this was reported to Joshua he ordered the exit of the cave to be blocked by boulders and guarded. The army then followed the fleeing enemy and accomplished its utter defeat. On its return to Makkedah the five kings were led out and executed.
The site of Makkedah is much in doubt. Warren was the first to identify it with the modern Al-Mughar ("the cave"), several miles southwest from Ekron, and about eight miles from the sea and twenty-five miles from Gibeon. The determining reason for this identification is the presence of caves at Al-Mughar. According to Major Conder it is the only site in the Shefelah where caves are to be found. Eusebius declared that Makkedah was eight miles east of E leutheropolis, but this seems incredible.S. F. K. S.
------

MAAT, for heaven's sake, nine posts with so much research to prove to me that the sun literally stood still when the poetic prose had
been recorded to be interpreted metaphorically!!! For the sun to literally stay still would be tantamount to go against nature. I am
quite sure that Joshua and all his army knew that there was nothing
supernatural that happened that day. They knew perfectly well that they had succeeded on their enterprise because the enemy armies were at a disarray and confused because none knew where their kings were. They did not know that they were standing still in the cave.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#11 Mar 8, 2013
Shibolet wrote:
<quoted text>
------
MAAT, for heaven's sake, nine posts with so much research to prove to me that the sun literally stood still when the poetic prose had
been recorded to be interpreted metaphorically!!! For the sun to literally stay still would be tantamount to go against nature. I am
quite sure that Joshua and all his army knew that there was nothing
supernatural that happened that day. They knew perfectly well that they had succeeded on their enterprise because the enemy armies were at a disarray and confused because none knew where their kings were. They did not know that they were standing still in the cave.
How does going for 28 interpretations -or at least giving it a try- give you the idea that i'm aiming to proof the sun stood still!?

Since: Feb 13

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Mar 9, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
How does going for 28 interpretations -or at least giving it a try- give you the idea that i'm aiming to proof the sun stood still!?
-----

I perused your posts over, and again, my understanding is that you are trying to disprove the human effort to succeed and even the place used to keep the five kings locked up. The fall of political powers and nations in Biblical literature is compared to the collapse of cosmological bodies out of their natural standing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Judaism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Liberals are tough on Israel and Christianity: ... 2 hr yehoshooah adam 49
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr scirocco 71,008
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 2 hr Shamma 207,279
There is a Jewish response to Michael Brown and... 3 hr yehoshooah adam 1
More women come forward against Georgetown rabbi 4 hr fedupwiththemess 1
A Hanukkah custom that started in Philadelphia Thu Roll with it 5
If Jesus was a Jew, he would forgive Adolf Hitler Dec 13 rabbee yehoshooah... 21
More from around the web