Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72042 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#21011 Mar 17, 2011
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
To a certain extent? I'm guessing that that is to the same extent that they agree with your interpretation of common scripture.
I'm not interested in areas of non-overlap. That's a red herring. I was clear that I am talking about material that you agree is the word of God/G_D.
This won't be easy, either. I feel like I need an old Negro spiritual work-song to help me with my burden here : "Tote that barge, lift that bail."
"I feel like I need an old Negro spiritual work-song to help me with my burden here "

What you NEED is self-respect and INTELLIGENCE.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#21012 Mar 17, 2011
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
So then you're right and they're wrong? Is that correct?
And you say that I shouldn't have raised the matter? It was a question, although I can tell now that I'll never get a straight answer from you, will I? I'll always have to ferret it out myself.
But I can see that every issue with you is going to be a syssiphean effort. Once again, it's like pulling a car uphill. Or slogging through waist deep mud. No tiny, simple or self-evident idea can be addressed without a major ordeal, right?
"So then you're right and they're wrong? Is that correct?"

What part of to a certain extent do you NOT understand.
Frijoles

United States

#21013 Mar 17, 2011
<quoted text>
I am saying that many of the Jews think that what you write as God should be written as G_D.?
That is actually a custom (minhag) not halacha (law). I never grew up following the custom, so I do not do it.

http://judaism.about.com/od/judaismbasics/a/W...
"....There is no prohibition in Jewish law against writing out or erasing the word "God" in English. However, many Jews have afforded the word "God" with the same level of respect as the Hebrew equivalents. Because of this, many Jews substitute "God with G-d so that they can erase or dispose of the writing without showing disrespect to God. Some Jews also use G!d in the same way, utilizing the exclamation point to convey their enthusiasm for Judaism and God...."

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#21014 Mar 17, 2011
IANS: "Who's right?"
rabbee yehoshooah adam wrote:
rabbee: why do people always leave out, the possibility that everyone is wrong about G-D and nobody is actually right?

why does it have to come down to be jews, christions one must be right. rather than both couldn't be more wrong?
OK. You convinced me. You're both wrong.
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsH/743... [image]

"Tote that barge, lift ..."
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#21015 Mar 17, 2011
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I know. LOL.
Answer my question below if you have the mental capacity to understand it.

Do you suppose that the concept of NOT stealing originated with the Jews?
Frijoles

United States

#21016 Mar 17, 2011
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
So then you're right and they're wrong? Is that correct?
And you say that I shouldn't have raised the matter? It was a question, although I can tell now that I'll never get a straight answer from you, will I? I'll always have to ferret it out myself.
But I can see that every issue with you is going to be a syssiphean effort. Once again, it's like pulling a car uphill. Or slogging through waist deep mud. No tiny, simple or self-evident idea can be addressed without a major ordeal, right?
It seems like a syssiphean effort because the gentleman has an agenda, and will not stop questioning you until he feels he has guided you into his theoretical space. Wnich probably will never happen, if I was a betting man.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#21017 Mar 17, 2011
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems like a syssiphean effort because the gentleman has an agenda, and will not stop questioning you until he feels he has guided you into his theoretical space. Wnich probably will never happen, if I was a betting man.
"Wnich probably will never happen, if I was a betting man."

I agree, given the requirement of wisdom.

Fennario

#21018 Mar 17, 2011
rabbee yehoshooah adam wrote:
and thank you for calling me anyonomous, cause that is so much better than calling me jesus.
You blew your cover. The IANS Poster Protection Program cannot protect you from self-disclosure.

And I never called you Jesus. I said that you were heavily influenced by evangelical Christianity, especially your manner, but also with some of the words you use, like HisSon or whatever.

Change your posts such that G_D becomes God, HaShem becomes Jesus, Torah becomes bible, and you're good to go with all of your hypomania, devils and demons. You're a regular Cotton Mather.
former res

Broomall, PA

#21019 Mar 17, 2011
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexuals like ALL others who engage in immorality shall be punished.
I'm not interested in the legal aspects. I didn't repond to that part of your post.

Nor am familiar with local laws here in the US.

I asked you:

Who says what homosexuals engage in is immoral?

Do you personally feel this way?

Who says they will be punished?

Do you think they should be punished?

Are you saying that the only "punishments" you were referring to were the legal type?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#21020 Mar 17, 2011
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not interested in the legal aspects. I didn't repond to that part of your post.
Nor am familiar with local laws here in the US.
I asked you:
Who says what homosexuals engage in is immoral?

How old are you? What a good question especially when I spoke of legal and SPIRITUAL consequences.

"Nor am familiar with local laws here in the US."

What can I say, you live in the US and you do not know whether or not homosexuality, your favourite subject, is illegal in some parts of the country.

Given the quality of your responses above I have deemed that you are entering waters that are above your head. Therefore, you shall not be getting any other response from me on the matter. Why? You are not serious. You should look up the meaning of TRUTH and get help in understanding its meaning and how to apply it to your life.

Fennario

#21021 Mar 17, 2011
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer my question below if you have the mental capacity to understand it.
Do you suppose that the concept of NOT stealing originated with the Jews?
Are you questioning my mental capacity? Is that where you really want to take this, HughBe?

All that you are showing the panel here with your ad hominems is that you don't like my message. Sorry. I don't like yours, either. Let's try to keep it form becoming personal. I will rise or sink to the level you choose. Your intelligence is now fair game.

Back to the subject at hand: What you ask is irrelevant. I wasn't asking you where you got the idea. I was asking you where you got the Commandment. And you told me : you stole it.

The concept of stealing being antisocial is undoubtedly older than the Jews. I assume that it exists in almost every moral code. I'll bet that the Jainists and Baha'i also admonish against stealing. But as I said, that's irrelevant. It's not the point.

They didn't steal it from the Jews. That was the point.

Now what about scripture that you and the Jews consider the word of God/G_D, as in the messianic prophesy in Isaiah, I believe.

The Jews say that Jesus doesn't fit the bill. For starters, he has the wrong name, Jesus, not Emmanuel. And second, we can't trace Jesus' heritage back to David. Or do you have a pedigree for Mary?

In those matters where there is dissent in the interpretation of common scripture, who's right? The Jews, or you Christians?

And don't take this stuff so personally. It's only your belief system that I am criticizing, not you. You already know that. Assimilate it and control yourself.
former res

Broomall, PA

#21022 Mar 17, 2011
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
...I spoke of legal and SPIRITUAL consequences....
Let's focus here since you may have ADD along with your need to evade your own statements rather than explain them.

Are you perhaps ashamed of your own weak-willed inability to think for yourself? Does your religion embarrass you?

I'm simly asking you to explain your own statements. Why is this a problem?

Who/what says that what homosexuals engage in is immoral?

Can you cite this passage(s)?

Can you say what the spiritual consequences would be?
former res

Broomall, PA

#21023 Mar 17, 2011
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I got your ID wrong. I thought you had self-described as an "Agnostic atheist." Was I wrong? Now that I think of it, you did talk about an imperfect god making an imperfect bible....
YOu'll forgive me as much terminlogy has been thrown around lately. In any event - as that's what I thought - I wondered if the argument would win YOU over?! But perhaps unecessary.
I MAY have a problem with the word atheist. I admit it souonds a little harsh and final.
But I'll repeat my response to this easter bunny thing briefly,
The god thing is too important to get wrong. Also, I may want to hold out a little hope that it's true - that there is a god (sure I admit that's emotional). But while I consider the easter bunny to be untrue - and this is my main point - the god thing is too big and too complex to be known or knowable. Hence I'm atheist on the EB and agnostic on god. Inconsistent, perhaps to some - but we're only human.
I appreciate your comments on the Easter bunny matter!
aint it so

Can you respond to this esp the ID part when you get a chance - thanks
truth

Australia

#21024 Mar 17, 2011
ah yes i believed
i am crying every day ispred zida placa..oh no no
israel who is real not be forgoten..
remebering oh moje mrtve kosti..zasarafi..koliko cu ja plakati nitko protiv izraela ..20 mrtvih tamo!
jao zar cete ih peci opet ..shh polako!Tamo tamo
now i am magarica do''nk' y!
ah moje srce==ljubi Boga svoga ..vidi li ti tamo moga doruuuuuuuuu door tetu zoru sto plovi po moru no give up!Najbolja cobanica svih vremena!
Onda cemo tetu milu sto oda po silu ah mila mi je najdraza! volim vas sve do bola smrtnog bola!
I need pray!
God want like that!Moram sve spasavati obitelj i cijeli svijet''zavit za soul!''
The Professor

Etobicoke, Canada

#21025 Mar 17, 2011
Of course what homosexuals engage in is immoral, what kind of a human being wants to have sex with another human being of the same gender in the anal hole? They are dogs and should be treated as such, if I was in a place which I will be soon, they would be eradicated. They are animals and should be hanged and slaughtered, and thrown from the highest buildings. In the religions of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity God destroyed two cities Sodom and Gomorrah for the homosexual sins, he turned them upside down. There is no need for explanation because they are sinners and filthy animals that need to die.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#21026 Mar 17, 2011
<quoted text>
That's an obscure reference. I found that person in affiliation with the Jamaica Gleaner, but nothing about him. What's the connection? Is he their religious editor or editorialist?
Ooops! I got the name wrong: it was supposed to be Bob loblaw. It's just onomatopoeia for "blah blah blah". I got it from an obscure character Scott Baio played on TV.
Really

Stamford, CT

#21027 Mar 17, 2011
The Professor wrote:
Of course what homosexuals engage in is immoral, what kind of a human being wants to have sex with another human being of the same gender in the anal hole? They are dogs and should be treated as such, if I was in a place which I will be soon, they would be eradicated. They are animals and should be hanged and slaughtered, and thrown from the highest buildings. In the religions of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity God destroyed two cities Sodom and Gomorrah for the homosexual sins, he turned them upside down. There is no need for explanation because they are sinners and filthy animals that need to die.
Did a coconut fall on your head, professor?
Frijoles

United States

#21028 Mar 17, 2011
The Professor wrote:
You have evidently spent a lot of time thinking about this.

Hmmmmmmmm.....

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#21029 Mar 17, 2011
Frijoles wrote:
A Jewish view on homosexuality
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274...
My Jewish Perspective on Homosexuality
I tell gay couples they still have 611 of the Torah's 613 rules to keep them busy.
By SHMULEY BOTEACH
Homophobia, as with sexism and racism, is just one more example of an outdated ideology written by men who put their prejudices into print and claim that God inspired them. Society has already rejected slavery, polygamy, racism, and sexism, despite religious texts condoning all those things, and homophobia is simply the next domino to fall. I'm thankful that society evolves despite the albatross of religion around it's neck.
ex-mess

Hoschton, GA

#21030 Mar 17, 2011
The Professor wrote:
You must belong to the Hamas terror group - they throw their own people from the tops of buildings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Judaism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In U.S. presidential first, Trump prays at Jeru... 11 hr democrat punisher 88
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 11 hr Dogen 3,852
News Why Melania Trump covers her head one day and n... 15 hr Eric 9
News Shavuot is about breaking the tablets, and putt... 17 hr yehoshooah adam 3
News Will JFK's grandson become our first Jewish pre... 21 hr Antisemitic 2
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) Sat yehoshooah adam 256,363
News The need to cultivate civility May 26 yehoshooah adam 16
More from around the web