Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,302
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#65693 Jan 12, 2014
A little later.

Location hidden

#65694 Jan 12, 2014
A few days ago, I purchased a liter of pure handpressed almond oil. I bought the Afghan almonds from a dealer in dried fruits and got it handpressed. The golden liquid is soothing and nourishing. I drink it and apply it on my body and hair. Pure magic. I love using natural stuff of high quality.

Location hidden

#65695 Jan 12, 2014
Hey does metallothionein have anti-ageing properties? Hugh, try some to appear youthful. LOL.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65696 Jan 12, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
yes and no. The simplest explanation is that I dont recognize God as the name of "_____". I only recognize the name in Hebrew. Therefore, I guess from your perspective, its only a nickname. Other Jews do recognize it as a name (since they extend the concept over to English as well). I dont extend the concept over to English because I dont think the English language does justice to the concept of God in general.
I dont hang my identity on an institutional affiliation. Most affiliated Modern Orthodox would not consider me Orthodox. My practice is "egalitarian" - i.e. I follow most of the orthodox traditions except those that pigeonhole the role of men and women. I am ok with women reading from the Torah during religious services, where the orthodox do not. I am more traditional than the Conservative, but also borrow a little from the Reconstructionists.
I thought it was you who used the term "nickname"?? Though I guess not about yourself.

Wouldn't you say that most American Jews would describe themselves as reform(ed?)?/ Is that the term the next step more liberal than conservative?

I thought you ate bacon but I could be wrong? any other pork? shellfish? Growing up we ate no meat on Friday. Fish I think.

There's a famous hotdog place up here named Blackie's "since 1928." Has never been open on Friday. From an old Catholic family. Really good dogs by the way!

Location hidden

#65697 Jan 12, 2014
My friends and I are planning a winter trip to Zurich, Geneva and Interlaken. May leave as soon as the plans are finalized.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#65698 Jan 12, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought it was you who used the term "nickname"?? Though I guess not about yourself.
Wouldn't you say that most American Jews would describe themselves as reform(ed?)?/ Is that the term the next step more liberal than conservative?
I thought you ate bacon but I could be wrong? any other pork? shellfish? Growing up we ate no meat on Friday. Fish I think.
There's a famous hotdog place up here named Blackie's "since 1928." Has never been open on Friday. From an old Catholic family. Really good dogs by the way!
It was me that used the term. But it appears I confused you. I dont really consider the word God a nickname - as it is not a traditional Hebrew nickname - such as "melech haolam" etc etc. Bottom line is I never grew up with the custom of writing G-d, so I dont do it now.

Pew just came out with a survey of American Jews. The majority of them do not consider themselves with an allegiance to any denomination (similar to me, but a lot of those dont go to synagogue either and see themselves as ethnic/cultural rather than religious). Of the synagogue affiliated, the majority are actually orthodox (which includes modern orthodox and the black clad folks), followed I think by Reform (which is more liberal than Conservative). Conservative movement, once THE alternative to orthodoxy, is actually on the decline. Reform is usually the gateway for nonobservant Jews becoming more observant, AND simultaneously the gateway for Jews on the way out to becoming fully secular.

I dont keep strict kosher but I do not eat pork. I do eat shellfish (how could I not? We live in New England!). I usually dont eat nonkosher meat, at least not at home, but the fact is I rarely eat meat other than chicken or lamb anyway.

Location hidden

#65701 Jan 12, 2014
IIT has slipped further down in the global rankings. It was never known for creative inventiveness and is just a high quality teaching shop for undergrads who clear the stiff entrance exam, the IIT JEE. The grad and doctoral programs suck. I was not happy for the 5 years that I studied at the IIT. I enjoyed life much more while in high school at Cathedral. India is in a state of steady decline and prominent sings of mass degradation are everywhere and I guess there's no remedy to pull it out of the rampant mess. The only remedy is destruction of most of India via nuclear warfare and/ore natural calamities. I don't like venturing out of the few posh localities in South Mumbai. The other parts of the city are dirty, noisy, crowded, disorganized, polluted, crime infested and overrun by a growing Muslim population who live like animals in ghettos and whose only vocation in life is prayer, superstition and spewing hatred with the mosque loudspeakers blaring out those stupid verses from the Quran.

Location hidden

#65702 Jan 12, 2014
signs, not sings

Location hidden

#65703 Jan 12, 2014
The selection to the IITs is brutal since hundreds of thousands of students take the entrance exam every year and besides the questions that appear in the IIT JEE in Math, Physics and Chem are of such a high order of difficulty that most university students anywhere in the world would be incapable of answering a majority of the questions. This emphasis on theory is so overwhelming that the selectors ignore natural aptitude for the subject - pure science or engineering. Most of the students who enter the IITs are misfits in science and engineering and aside from being book worms and expert number crunchers they lack creative thinking and have little inborn practical skills needed to make significant contributions in their chosen disciplines. IIT students are much sought after at the world's elite universities like MIT, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge and others on account of their strong academic basis but later they fade into the woodwork when it comes to creative thinking and practical skills.

Location hidden

#65704 Jan 12, 2014
The best combination in India is schooling at Cathedral or Woodstock or La Martinere or at anyone of the few elite high schools here and then attending university in the US or in the UK at MIT, Caltech, Harvard, Stanford, Oxford, LSE and other leading institutions of higher learning. This combination for students back here serves to bring out the best in them. IIT has lost its sheen and was never in the reckoning on the gloobal scene even in the past. In recent times, many students who've cracked the IIT JEE with All India ranks in the first 50 and who've won gold, silver or bronze medals at the International Math and Science Olympiads dump the IITs for studies, on full scholarship, in the best universities abroad. The trend is catching on. Good.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65705 Jan 12, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
It was me that used the term. But it appears I confused you. I dont really consider the word God a nickname - as it is not a traditional Hebrew nickname - such as "melech haolam" etc etc. Bottom line is I never grew up with the custom of writing G-d, so I dont do it now.
Pew just came out with a survey of American Jews. The majority of them do not consider themselves with an allegiance to any denomination (similar to me, but a lot of those dont go to synagogue either and see themselves as ethnic/cultural rather than religious). Of the synagogue affiliated, the majority are actually orthodox (which includes modern orthodox and the black clad folks), followed I think by Reform (which is more liberal than Conservative). Conservative movement, once THE alternative to orthodoxy, is actually on the decline. Reform is usually the gateway for nonobservant Jews becoming more observant, AND simultaneously the gateway for Jews on the way out to becoming fully secular.
I dont keep strict kosher but I do not eat pork. I do eat shellfish (how could I not? We live in New England!). I usually dont eat nonkosher meat, at least not at home, but the fact is I rarely eat meat other than chicken or lamb anyway.
Interesting how the religious/cultural/customs/hab its can all influence us.

An old Jewish friend (old friend not old guy!) from Philadelphia ate bacon but wouldn't eat a traditional Phila cheesesteak. He said that to him, the cheese and meat just didn't taste right together. So he would always order just a plain steak sandwich. I always figured this was from his upbringing. Not used to eating the two items together.

I had dinner at his mom's one time and she was serving spaghetti and meatballs. I asked for grated cheese and she acted all nervous and said she had run out. He explained later that they don't use it she never had any to begin with. Said I was sorry for asking for it! No big deal.

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#65706 Jan 12, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: well i guess that leaves, muslims out of your diet too?

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#65707 Jan 12, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting how the religious/cultural/customs/hab its can all influence us.
An old Jewish friend (old friend not old guy!) from Philadelphia ate bacon but wouldn't eat a traditional Phila cheesesteak. He said that to him, the cheese and meat just didn't taste right together. So he would always order just a plain steak sandwich. I always figured this was from his upbringing. Not used to eating the two items together.
I had dinner at his mom's one time and she was serving spaghetti and meatballs. I asked for grated cheese and she acted all nervous and said she had run out. He explained later that they don't use it she never had any to begin with. Said I was sorry for asking for it! No big deal.
A few years back I was invited to a pig roast. A real one, where they buried the smoldering animal in the dirt. I didnt eat any of it, but I found the whole experience interesting.

Location hidden

#65708 Jan 12, 2014
WISH ME THE BEST

I should have followed the example of my late sister, Tina, who did not appear for the IIT JEE and instead got admitted into Cornell University in the US after high school at Cathedral in Mumbai. Her goal was biochemistry from the beginning and she did not waste time preparing for the extremely difficult entrance exam to the IITs back here. I wasted 4 years preparing in earnest for the IIT JEE beginning in Grade 9 and steadily turned into a recluse till Grade 12 as intense preparation for the IIT JEE was foremost in my mind. Then after clearing the IIT JEE, I wasted 5 years in the IIT studying a pure science discipline with lots of Math. The course work was difficult but my creative side got suppressed because of the dull and uninventive atmosphere. My creative side has manifested under the pressure of the yogic force that keeps descending into me but I wish I had given IIT a skip and been exposed to the finest academic atmosphere after high school at MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Cambridge, ZIT (Zurich) or some other elite university abroad. Let's see what life holds for me now. I want to use my sharp intellect in some creative way in a scientific discipline that's heavy on Math. Just dealing with businessmen and spending loads of money on a daily basis gets boring after a time. Yoga can go hand in hand with science in my case. Let's see what steps I take to fulfill my ambition. It will be difficult because my mind, emotions and nerves have been damaged to quite an extent due to you know who. I want to give it a try and succeed since age, intelligence and grit are on my side. Wish me the best, everyone.

Location hidden

#65709 Jan 12, 2014
My eyes are moist after typing that bit above on career as fond memories of the past with family and friends are surfacing and at the same time I'm thinking about the ruin that that monster guru brought into my life that has damaged me in serious ways. I have wasted my life till now despite having the higher intellectual traits that one needs to become a grand success in academics with meaningful contributions to the discipline of specialization. Academics and research in a scientific field with heavy emphasis on Math are always on my mind but my difficult circumstances are creating blocks and pushing me away from achieving my cherished goal. I am sad. Anyway, I have to somehow survive and push forward.

“2015”

Since: Nov 11

Crystal City

#65710 Jan 12, 2014

Location hidden

#65711 Jan 12, 2014
A little later, I'll type out some interesting info on Dr Sam Harris, Stanford University neuroscientist, and his foray into yoga, his fruitless meditation in caves, his turning into a vegetarian, his need for animal protein and his return to the fold of atheism.

Location hidden

#65712 Jan 12, 2014
I am going out. Later.

Location hidden

#65717 Jan 13, 2014
Hugh is missing since a couple of days.

Location hidden

#65718 Jan 13, 2014
Magnetic monopole.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Judaism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 1 hr bmz 207,621
Liberals are tough on Israel and Christianity: ... 2 hr joke 90
Am I a Zionist? 3 hr Rick Moss 43
Is Judaism a religion only? (Feb '14) Sat Deja 21
Fierce Critic of Islam Honored at Israel's Open... Fri Yumpin Yimminy 9
A Hanukkah custom that started in Philadelphia Dec 21 Democracy 14
There is a Jewish response to Michael Brown and... Dec 19 yehoshooah adam 1
More from around the web