When was Yom Kippur invented? A hard ...

When was Yom Kippur invented? A hard study into the biblical texts.....

Posted in the Judaism Forum

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#1 Aug 14, 2011
-
-
In Leviticus 16:29 & 23:27 and Numbers 29:7, it is vividly clear that Moshe “seems” to set up “Yom Kippur” in the Torah.

However, if we read the rest of the Tanach and do not take the “Torah” with blind faith to be 100% reliable, we see something dramatically at odds with the “Torah’s” account of Yom Kippur.

What is the problem?

According to First Samuel, the Ark goes into the hands of the Philistines during a awful war. However, after a short period of time the Philistines sent it back to the Israelites.

After this point is where we get into problems….

The people of Israel did not put the Ark back into the Tabernacle, but into a person’s house named Abinadab (1 Sam 7:1). It apparently remained there from the time Samuel was a boy to the time David was King in Jerusalem. It was in this person’s house, for several decades (2 Sam 6:3). After David tries to move the ark from Abinadab’s house to the City of David, his friend Uzzah got cursed and died. David was afraid to bring the ark to the City of David and instead moved the Ark to Obededom’s house (2 Sam 6:10) for three months. Eventually, however the Ark was taken out of Obededom’s house and brought to Zion, to the new tent (not the tabernacle) that David had made for it. The Tabernacle remained somewhere else, probably at Gibeon (1 Kings 2:28-29, 3:4.)

The Ark remained separated from the Tabernacle from the time that Samuel was a young man / boy to the time Solomon actually built the Temple. Therefore……..

The question is:

If David was righteous and the priests were righteous, then how in the world can the High Priest perform Yom Kippur if the Ark is not in the Tabernacle, especially when blood must be sprinkled towards it several times?

It seems, therefore, that the existence of Yom Kippur came after the sanctification of the Temple, not with the Tabernacle.

These are the things we at www.ancientjudaism.org are trying to figure out.

Give me your thoughts….

I passed this by our local Rabbi and he was shocked by what I said, because all that I said was purely biblical.

Maregaal

Join the discussion at:
http://www.facebook.com/note.php...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Judaism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 33 min First Amendment 72,120
News The elephant in the room 4 hr lavon affair 1
News Multiracial Orthodox rabbi uses his background ... 4 hr such an ally 4
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 4 hr WHO IS BOTEACH 256,435
News Rabbi Shmuley Boteach (Aug '10) 4 hr masada myth 17
Black Hebrew Israelites (Feb '11) Jul 9 stein 708
News A nightmare happening in daylight' NEW Jul 6 Pugs 2