Who is Abaddon /Apollyon - the Destr...

Who is Abaddon /Apollyon - the Destroyer?

Posted in the Jehovah's Witness Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Loretta

Fonthill, Canada

#1 May 13, 2009
I'm curious to know who you think Abaddon is?

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#2 May 13, 2009
I bet.
colin

Barrow, UK

#3 May 13, 2009
Loretta wrote:
I think you may have got the two mixed up a little loretta

Abaddon comes to mean "place of destruction", or the realm of the dead, and is associated with Sheol.(Job 26:6; Proverbs 15:11)

whereas

APOLLYON. The Greek name, meaning "Destroyer," given in Revelation 9:11 for "the angel of the bottomless pit"
Houle

United States

#4 May 13, 2009
Loretta wrote:
Hello, Loretta;

To me, Abbadon is the Hebrew word for 'destruction', and is the biblical dwelling place of the dead found in the OT and the New Testament. It is used interchangably with SHEOL.

Revelation refers to an angel named Abbadon as the king of the place for those who 'neither repented of their murders, nor their devil worship, nor their fornications, nor their theft'(Rev.9:21) It is described as a foul, smoky bottomless abyss out of which locusts, demons and monsters emerge to destroy the earth, with their leader named in Greek APOLLYON.

Abbadon has also been described as a demon in 'The Pilgrim's Progress' and also in the sequel to 'Paradise Lost'; titled 'Paradise Found'. The name in these stories usually refers to the personification of evil.

Hope this helps.
Loretta

Brampton, Canada

#5 May 13, 2009
I looked it up.

In the NT Abaddon is personified as "the angel of the bottomless pit", whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon, but in Greek has the name Apollyon "destroyer". He is said to reign over the locusts which rose from the bottomless pit at the sounding of the fifth trumpet, in the vision of the seven plagues of John the Apostle (Rev 9:11).

In my Strong's concordance:
Abaddon: Angel of the Abyss name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon Rev 9:11

Apollyon: The Angel of the Abyss. The Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon Rev 9:11

Revelation 9:11 (New International Version)
11They had as king over them the angel of the Abyss, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in Greek, Apollyon.[a]

My understanding from reading Rev 9:11 is that's speaking of the same thing, a king of the Abyss.

Gareth:

What kind of a comment is that? Who do you think he is?

The Old Lady

“Virtus in Arduo”

Since: Feb 08

Paradise

#7 May 13, 2009
Well, it isn't Jesus.

Location hidden

#8 May 13, 2009
Loretta wrote:
What kind of a comment is that?
Cynical.
Loretta wrote:
Who do you think he is?
Jesus.

Location hidden

#9 May 13, 2009
When Peter was talking at Pentecost 33CE he quotes part of Joel's prophecy of the locusts who were God's people.

They signified the early Christians that went throughout the land causing anguish among the Jewish leaders and causing them to suffer great spiritual pains.

Revelation talks about a similar insect invasion. It is begun by Apollyon, the king of the Abyss.

The creatures that come out from the Abyss are very similar to those in Joel's prophecy that Peter quotes at Pentecost.

They are also wearing crowns and they follow the king of the Abyss. This is signifying that they are those who belong to Jesus and who are to be kings ruling alongside Christ.

The locust invasion spoken of in Revelation is a new explosion in the preaching work just like the one that begun at Pentecost 33CE.

This is the beginning of the fulfilment of Matthew 24:14 where a global preaching is being done before the end comes.

Jesus is referred to the destroyer by the demons whom he will ultimately destroy:

*** Luke 4:34 saying,“Ah! what have we to do with you, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know you who you are: the Holy One of God!”

The demons also recognise Jesus as the ruler of the Abyss:

*** Luke 8:31 They begged him that he would not command them to go into the abyss.

And his mission is to destroy Satan's works:

** 1 John 3:8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil

The Old Lady

“Virtus in Arduo”

Since: Feb 08

Paradise

#10 May 13, 2009
Baloney!

Since: May 09

Shenyang, China

#12 May 14, 2009
colin wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you may have got the two mixed up a little loretta
Abaddon comes to mean "place of destruction", or the realm of the dead, and is associated with Sheol.(Job 26:6; Proverbs 15:11)
whereas
APOLLYON. The Greek name, meaning "Destroyer," given in Revelation 9:11 for "the angel of the bottomless pit"
shite..abaddon..is the angel of destruction..and it is christ the foremost angel, as he is the one who will abbys satan, and eventually destroy him..
HaShomer

Howell, MI

#13 May 14, 2009
WOW!
Loretta

Brampton, Canada

#14 May 14, 2009
Gareth:

Thanks for the response. I will look into it later on.

HaShomer:

WOW. I understand that response. I remember the first time I found out that Jehovah's Witnesses believed that Abaddon was Jesus. Either the angel of destruction is Christ or he is Satan, or an angel of Satan.
HaShomer

Howell, MI

#15 May 14, 2009
Abbadon is a BAD dude, he is called the sovereing of the abyss, he is also known as THE messenger of the pit of the deep. He has been kept there for this very purpose and hour.
Revelation 9:11 And they have over them a sovereign, the messenger of the pit of the deep, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon, but in Greek he has the name Apolluon.

You don't want to mess around with this DUDE, especially since this happens after the 144,000 literal Israelites are sealed.
These are the first-fruits to be harvested from the earth.

Listen to what the four messengers that are holding back the four winds of strife are told:

Revelation 7:“Do not harm the earth, nor the sea, nor the trees until we have sealed the servants of our Elohim upon their foreheads.”

After the 144,000 are sealed all hell is let loose upon the earth and its inhabitants.

This is the opening of the seventh seal, what is written will now begin, notice that it is the beginning of the seven trumpet blasts.

Important to see here that there is silence in heaven for about half an hour. Everyone their knows exactly what is about to begin!

Read Chapter 8 and you will see. Take special notice of the eagle flying in mid heaven after the fourth trumpet has blown its judgements:

Revelation 8:13 And I looked, and I heard an eagle flying in mid-heaven, crying with a loud voice,“Woe, woe, woe (3 Woes, this is not good!)to those dwelling upon the earth, because of the remaining blasts of the trumpet of the three messengers who are about to sound!”
MeMe

Red Hill, PA

#16 May 14, 2009
He is an angel of God, who binds and hurls Satan into the abyss!
LUIS

United States

#17 May 14, 2009
Loretta wrote:
This will give you a bit more info on abaddon:

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/jehovahs-...

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/jehovahs-...

Read it all and you will see, not one witness are willing to defend it.
LUIS

United States

#18 May 14, 2009
NWT:

Rev 9:1 And the fifth angel blew his trumpet. And I saw a star that had fallen from heaven to the earth, and the key of the pit of the abyss was given him.

WHAT DO I SEE??
An ANGEL DECENDING FROM HEAVEN, THIS ANGEL WAS GIVEN THE KEYS TO THE ABYSS, WE MUST ASK OURSELVES, HE RECEIVED THE KEYS FROM WHOM???

Lets us continue:
Verse 2 And he opened the pit of the abyss, and smoke ascended out of the pit as the smoke of a great furnace, and the sun was darkened, also the air, by the smoke of the pit.

THE ANGEL OPENS UP THE PIT AND WHAT DO WE SEE, ACCORDING TO VERSE 2?
The SMOKE ASCENDS FROM THE PIT.

Let us continue to verse 3:
Verse 3-4 And out of the smoke locusts came forth upon the earth; and authority was given them, the same authority as the scorpions of the earth have. 4 And they were told to harm no vegetation of the earth nor any green thing nor any tree, but only those men who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads.

WHAT DO WE SEE HERE???
SMOKE OF A GREAT FURNACE CAME FROM WHERE?? FROM THE PIT!!!
LOCUST CAME FROM WHERE???? OUT OF THE SMOKE COMING OUT OF THE PIT!!!
FOR WHAT PURPOSE??? NOT TO HARM THE EARTH, BUT TO BRING HARM TO THOSE WHO DID NOT HAVE THE SEAL OF GOD.
GIVEN AUTHORITY BY WHO?? NOW LET US THINK ABOUT THIS.

HERE IS SOMETHING I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH YOU ALL.
REMEMBER JOB, A GOD FEARING MAN WHO WAS FOUND BLAMELESS AND RIGHTEOUS BEFORE GOD AND GOD ALLOWED SATAN TO BRING FORTH CALAMITIES TO JOB AND YET WAS TOLD NOT TO HARM HIS SOUL??? JOB 1:12.

LIKEWISE THE DEMONS COMING OUT OF THE PIT WAS GIVEN AUTHORITY TO BRING CALAMITY TO MANKIND AND YET NOT TO HARM THOSE WHO HAS THE SEAL OF GOD!!

SINCE THEY WERE GIVEN AUTHORITY BY GOD, DOES IT MEAN THEY ARE GOOD, God’s anointees or ANGELS???? OBSOLUTELY NOT, THEY ARE STILL DEMONS COMING OUT OF THE PIT !!!
LUIS

United States

#19 May 14, 2009
Now let us continue with the scriptures, let us jump straight to verse 11.

Verse 11 They have over them a king, the angel of the abyss. In Hebrew his name is Abaddon, but in Greek he has the name Apollyon.

WHAT DO WE SEE HERE?? THE LOCUST THAT CAME FROM OUT OF THE PIT ALSO HAS A KING WHO REIGNS OVER THEM, YES THE ANGEL OF THE ABYSS, ABADDON, KNOWN AS THE DESTROYER.

LET US THINK ABOUT THIS INDOCTRINATION OF A DECEIVER!!!!
IF THE LOCUST CAME OUT OF THE ABYSS AND THEY HAVE A KING OVER THEM ONE WHO DESTROYS, THEN HOW DARE YOU GOVERNING BODY STATE THIS IS CHRIST??

ARE YOU THE GOVERNING BODY INDOCTRINATING ALL GOD SEEKING WITNESSES INTO BELIEVING IN A FALSE CHRIST, THE ANTICHRIST?????

NOW WHERE IN THE BIBLE SHOWS THAT THE ANGEL THAT DESCENDED FROM HEAVEN IS THE SAME AS THE ANGEL OF THE ABYSS????

TO MAKE IT VERY CLEAR TO YOU ALL: CHRIST COMES WITH HIS MIGHTY ANGELS, CHRIST HAS THE KEYS OF THE ABYSS, THE ANGEL DECENDING FROM HEAVEN WAS GIVEN THE KEYS TO THE ABYSS, THERE IS NO SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT TO STATE THAT ABADDON IS JESUS. YOU, GOVERNING BODY ARE GUIDING WITNESSES TO BELIEVE THE ANGEL OF THE ABYSS IS CHRIST. BASICALLY YOU ARE GUIDING THEM TO BELIEVE ONE WHO COMES OUT OF THE ABYSS, ALSO, THERE IS NO SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT TO STATE THAT THE SAME ANGEL DECENDING FROM HEAVEN IS THE SAME ANGEL COMING OUT OF THE ABYSS!!!
LUIS

United States

#20 May 14, 2009
Think who they believe the locust coming out of the smokey abyss represents?
HaShomer

Howell, MI

#21 May 14, 2009
MeMe wrote:
He is an angel of God, who binds and hurls Satan into the abyss!
Shalom MeMe, are you saying that Abaddon is this messenger?
Revelation 20:1 And I saw a messenger coming down from the heaven, having the key to the pit of the deep and a great chain in his hand.

Notice that this messenger comes down from heaven, whereas Abaddon comes up from the pit of the deep or abyss, where Satan is going to be bound.
HaShomer

Howell, MI

#22 May 14, 2009
LUIS wrote:
NWT:
Rev 9:1 And the fifth angel blew his trumpet. And I saw a star that had fallen from heaven to the earth, and the key of the pit of the abyss was given him.
WHAT DO I SEE??
An ANGEL DECENDING FROM HEAVEN, THIS ANGEL WAS GIVEN THE KEYS TO THE ABYSS, WE MUST ASK OURSELVES, HE RECEIVED THE KEYS FROM WHOM???
Lets us continue:
Verse 2 And he opened the pit of the abyss, and smoke ascended out of the pit as the smoke of a great furnace, and the sun was darkened, also the air, by the smoke of the pit.
THE ANGEL OPENS UP THE PIT AND WHAT DO WE SEE, ACCORDING TO VERSE 2?
The SMOKE ASCENDS FROM THE PIT.
Let us continue to verse 3:
Verse 3-4 And out of the smoke locusts came forth upon the earth; and authority was given them, the same authority as the scorpions of the earth have. 4 And they were told to harm no vegetation of the earth nor any green thing nor any tree, but only those men who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads.
WHAT DO WE SEE HERE???
SMOKE OF A GREAT FURNACE CAME FROM WHERE?? FROM THE PIT!!!
LOCUST CAME FROM WHERE???? OUT OF THE SMOKE COMING OUT OF THE PIT!!!
FOR WHAT PURPOSE??? NOT TO HARM THE EARTH, BUT TO BRING HARM TO THOSE WHO DID NOT HAVE THE SEAL OF GOD.
GIVEN AUTHORITY BY WHO?? NOW LET US THINK ABOUT THIS.
HERE IS SOMETHING I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH YOU ALL.
REMEMBER JOB, A GOD FEARING MAN WHO WAS FOUND BLAMELESS AND RIGHTEOUS BEFORE GOD AND GOD ALLOWED SATAN TO BRING FORTH CALAMITIES TO JOB AND YET WAS TOLD NOT TO HARM HIS SOUL??? JOB 1:12.
LIKEWISE THE DEMONS COMING OUT OF THE PIT WAS GIVEN AUTHORITY TO BRING CALAMITY TO MANKIND AND YET NOT TO HARM THOSE WHO HAS THE SEAL OF GOD!!
SINCE THEY WERE GIVEN AUTHORITY BY GOD, DOES IT MEAN THEY ARE GOOD, God’s anointees or ANGELS???? OBSOLUTELY NOT, THEY ARE STILL DEMONS COMING OUT OF THE PIT !!!
Luis, please notice that the messenger does not descend from heaven, but had fallen from heaven. This is not a good guy, that opens the pit of the abyss, although he is allowed or given the key.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jehovah's Witness conventions will draw 11,000 ... 8 min aadrivers 73
YES- People WILL get OUT of HELL! (Nov '15) 58 min HopeReigns 2,614
last of the wt views on a supposed body switch 1 hr Anonymous Brother 26
How Could God Essentially Turn an Angel Into God? 1 hr red blood relative 145
Why does no one post a favourable video? 1 hr aadrivers 4
1914 2 hr red blood relative 247
Do you churchoids agree with IrishDumb & Dumboy? 2 hr Brother P 138
YES-Jesus WAS once known as Michael (Sep '14) 5 hr imagoodboy 7,626
News 'Remain Loyal!' theme of Jehovah's Witnesses co... 13 hr pcloadletter 291
More from around the web