how many jw's have committed suicide over the years

Posted in the Jehovah's Witness Forum

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
colin

Barrow, UK

#1 May 28, 2009
I was reading something about how many jehovahs witnesses have committed suicide over the years, why do you think that is ?

I know of a Christian friend of mine that lived next door to a jehovahs witness and although my friend had witnessed to him many times the Jehovahs witness took his own life, does anyone else know of circumstances like this?
thinkaboutit

Overland Park, KS

#2 May 28, 2009
colin wrote:
I was reading something about how many jehovahs witnesses have committed suicide over the years, why do you think that is ?
I know of a Christian friend of mine that lived next door to a jehovahs witness and although my friend had witnessed to him many times the Jehovahs witness took his own life, does anyone else know of circumstances like this?
The Witness probably took his own life to get away from your friend.
thinkaboutit

Overland Park, KS

#3 May 28, 2009
colin wrote:
Over the years I was a Baptist, I was suicidal most of the time. I remember lying in bed at night praying to die many, many times. The reason I didn't was that I had been told I would go to hell and burn and be tortured eternally if I did.

Then I met Jehovah's Witnesses and learned that the teaching about hellfire was a pagan lie. What a relief. But the ironic thing was that my desire to die went away as I kept learning about Jehovah and how loving he really was, not like the Baptists had told me at all.

So being a Baptist and fearing the fierce God who would burn me kept me from actually committing suicide when I desperately wanted to, but being one of Jehovah's Witnesses took away my desire to die and made me rejoice in the life I have now, as well as the "real life" to come.

“Tight lines”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#4 May 28, 2009
It is a known fact that Witnesses have committed suicide.
It would be foolish to say otherwise.
becoming a Jehovahs Witness does not mean that all of lifes troubles simply go away.
Now, I fully expect the usual suspects to come out and say that they were pushed to kill themselfs because of the religion but the fact is, any number of reasons can push someone over the edge.

On that note, I doubt that there is any kind of death-religion database out there.
colin

Barrow, UK

#5 May 28, 2009
thinkaboutit wrote:
<quoted text>
my friend is one of the most pleasant people that you could care to meet very humble and quiet it was the JW that always started the conversations off but my friend who knows his Bible and the Lord very well was always able to give an answer and showed from the Bible where he was referring to, so I guess you could be right in one sense as darkness always dissapears when light shines forth and it grieved my friend tremendously but I told him that he had done what the lord has commanded us to do that is to tell the good news of Jesus Christ.
bystander

Citrus Heights, CA

#6 May 28, 2009
Another mountain out of a molehill. JW's are human just like everyone else. A few get depressed and commit suicide just like others do. So what?
colin

Barrow, UK

#7 May 28, 2009
florida native wrote:
It is a known fact that Witnesses have committed suicide.
It would be foolish to say otherwise.
becoming a Jehovahs Witness does not mean that all of lifes troubles simply go away.
Now, I fully expect the usual suspects to come out and say that they were pushed to kill themselfs because of the religion but the fact is, any number of reasons can push someone over the edge.
On that note, I doubt that there is any kind of death-religion database out there.
there is FN just found this one but this is mainly on mormonism

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/ful...

“To God be the glory!”

Since: Feb 09

Lake Hiawatha, NJ

#8 May 28, 2009
thinkaboutit wrote:
<quoted text>
That's brilliant.
thinkaboutit

Overland Park, KS

#9 May 28, 2009
bystander wrote:
Another mountain out of a molehill. JW's are human just like everyone else. A few get depressed and commit suicide just like others do. So what?
Grasping at straws.
thinkaboutit

Overland Park, KS

#10 May 28, 2009
Colin hates Jehovah's Witnesses and doesn't want to admit it.
colin

Barrow, UK

#11 May 28, 2009
thinkaboutit wrote:
<quoted text>
Over the years I was a Baptist, I was suicidal most of the time. I remember lying in bed at night praying to die many, many times. The reason I didn't was that I had been told I would go to hell and burn and be tortured eternally if I did.
Then I met Jehovah's Witnesses and learned that the teaching about hellfire was a pagan lie. What a relief. But the ironic thing was that my desire to die went away as I kept learning about Jehovah and how loving he really was, not like the Baptists had told me at all.
So being a Baptist and fearing the fierce God who would burn me kept me from actually committing suicide when I desperately wanted to, but being one of Jehovah's Witnesses took away my desire to die and made me rejoice in the life I have now, as well as the "real life" to come.
there is a difference in being a baptist and being a christian thinkaboutit, you know I am baptist by denomination, but being a baptsist does not save me it is only through faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ and accepting Him as Lord and saviour that I became a christian and I know from the PROMISES IN GODS WORD that His love is perfect and perfect love casts out fear, so why should I fear Hell when Jesus tells me that where He is there will I be also, and Jesus is not in hell is he? see John 14
GrantPardons

Baton Rouge, LA

#12 May 28, 2009
thinkaboutit wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's that simple, then why are JWs committing suicide?

Suicide is not a denominational issue.

Only a fool would think otherwise.

What's the watchtower society's teaching on people who commit suicide?

Will they get an opportunity for a "real life" to come, or were they tossed into the lake of fire, after killing themselves?
colin

Barrow, UK

#13 May 28, 2009
thinkaboutit wrote:
Colin hates Jehovah's Witnesses and doesn't want to admit it.
if you read any of my posts over the time I have been on here and you will see that I have a care and concern for Jehovahs witnesses as people it is the watchtower organization that is false I speak the truth in love by the way
colin

Barrow, UK

#14 May 28, 2009
GrantPardons wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's that simple, then why are JWs committing suicide?
Suicide is not a denominational issue.
Only a fool would think otherwise.
What's the watchtower society's teaching on people who commit suicide?
Will they get an opportunity for a "real life" to come, or were they tossed into the lake of fire, after killing themselves?
maybe this will help grant

http://www.jwinfoline.com/Documents/death/sui...
Mardana

Dixon, CA

#15 May 28, 2009
drads wrote:
<quoted text>

That's brilliant.
I hope you were kidding.
red blood relative

United States

#16 May 28, 2009
thinkaboutit wrote:
<quoted text>
i knew you were a sweetie, thinkaboutit.

now, after the jw commits suicide, even though he is dead, he is disfellowshipped , and thereby not counted as a jw suicide keeping the numbers of the statistics down.

the jw gov body are the wize faithful servants who know how to look good on paper, but their history of lies and deceit and false prophecy and wickedness is recorded now, on the internet for all to see..... they are the murdering wolfs in sheeps clothing of matt 24;24

but i'm sure their lawyers will tell you all about how low the jw suicide rate is according to their statistics.
colin

Barrow, UK

#17 May 28, 2009
thinkaboutit wrote:
<quoted text>
Grasping at straws.
the watchtower are masters of that art (:0)
bystander

Citrus Heights, CA

#18 May 28, 2009
thinkaboutit wrote:
<quoted text>
Grasping at straws.
It's awesome how long Jehovah has endured contrary talk by sinners. I'll be glad when it's no longer allowed.
Susie B

United States

#19 May 28, 2009
One of our dear JW friends father in law committed suicide about 10 years ago. We know several other JW's who have had family members commit suicide too...one of our daughters JW friend [who was about 16 yrs old at the time], committed suicide a few years ago. It came as a huge shock and terrible loss for us all here...we also know several families from other religions who have had families members do it too ;-)
It doesn't matter who or what religion they are from, it is always a tragedy and brings heartbreak, sadness and a big loss not only to the immediate families, but to the entire community they live in.
I just keep praying for everyone who suffers through these bouts of depression to be strengthened by God so they won't harm themselves.
thinkaboutit

Overland Park, KS

#20 May 28, 2009
Here are some statistics. According to this, Dimrod (LAFF) is five times more likely to die from suicide than the average.

http://www.lollie.com/blue/suicide4.html

The following statistic's from CDC - National Center for Injury Prevention and Control
Suicide in the United States

The Problem

* Suicide took the lives of 30,484 Americans in 1992 (11.1 per 100, 000 population) 1
* More people die from suicide than from homicide in the United States.
* On an average day, 84 people die from suicide and an estimated 1,900 adults attempt suicide.
* Males are at least four times more likely to die from suicide than are females. However, females are more likely to attempt suicide than are males.
* In 1992, white males accounted for 73 % of all suicides. Together, white males and white females account for almost 91% of all suicides. Suicide rates are higher than the national average for some groups of Asian and Native Americans.
* Suicide rates are generally higher than the national average in the western states and lower in the eastern and Midwestern states.
* Nearly 60 % of all suicides are committed with a firearm.
* Suicide rates increase with age and are highest among- Americans aged 65 years and older.
* The ten-year period, 1980-1990, was the first decade since the 1940s that the suicide rate for older residents rose instead of declined.
* Firearms were the most common method of suicide used by both men (74%) and women (31%).
* Risk factors for suicide among older persons differ from those among the young. Older persons have a higher prevalence of alcohol abuse, depression, a greater use of highly lethal methods, and social isolation. They also make fewer attempts per completed suicide, have a higher male-to-female ratio than other groups, have often visited a health-care provider before their suicide, and have more physical illnesses.
* Persons under age 25 years accounted for 16.4% of all suicides in 1992. >From 1952-1992, the incidence of suicide among adolescents and young adults nearly tripled. From 1980-1992, the rate of suicide among persons aged 15-19 years increased by 28.3 % and among persons aged 10-14 years by 120%. For African American males aged 15-19, the rate increased 165.3 %.
* For young, people 15 to 24 years old, suicide is the third leading cause of death, behind unintentional injury and homicide. In 1992 more teenagers and young adults died from suicide than died from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia and influenza, and chronic lung disease combined.
* Among persons aged 15-19 years, firearm-related suicides accounted for 81 % of the increase in the overall rate of suicide from 1980-1992.
::::::::::

* People living in a household where a firearm is kept are almost five times more likely to die by suicide than people who live in gun-free homes.(Ref.: Kellerman et al, Suicide in the home in relation to gun ownership. New England Journal of Medicine 1992;327;467-72

::::::::::

* The risk for suicide among young people is greatest among young white males; however, from 1980 through 1992, suicide rates increased most rapidly among young black males. Although suicide among children is a rare event, the dramatic increase in the rate among persons aged 10-14 years underscores the urgent need for intensifying efforts-to prevent suicide among- persons in this age group.

1Suicide data was obtained from vital statistics on the underlying causes of death prepared annually by the National Center for Health Statistics at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do Jehovah's Witnesses Even Understand? 2 min BetheljudgmentDan... 550
What is the trinity? (Apr '13) 4 min roy 26,534
"The body of Christ" 15 min red blood relative 636
Lock them up; Lock them up! 17 min Aneirin 10
Poll The opposition to evolution includes educated p... (Jan '15) 19 min Aneirin 368
Shouldn't governing body nember Jackson be disf... 20 min Aneirin 101
wt lies about the cross 23 min Aneirin 683
Youthful Libido and the New System 1 hr Icaris 112
YES-Jesus WAS once known as Michael (Sep '14) 2 hr roy 10,037
More from around the web