Jehovah's witnesses' convention

Jehovah's witnesses' convention

There are 74 comments on the Manila Bulletin story from Apr 30, 2012, titled Jehovah's witnesses' convention. In it, Manila Bulletin reports that:

Every year, the religious group of Jehovah's Witnesses organizes assemblies that provide timely advices for the problems of the world.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Manila Bulletin.

Caligula

Beyer, PA

#44 May 7, 2012
Christian Witness wrote:
If you are somone who is really concerned about what is going to happen in the near future, I should say, what God is going to do about all the wickedness on this earth, in the near future, I would like to invite you to attend a convention of Jehovah's witnesses this Summer.
There are never any collections taken at any meetings of Jehovah's witnesses and no one ever asks for your donations. Remember to bring a bag lunch and your personal copy of your Bible, and be prepared to be educated in the ways of God's people.
The main talk on Sunday will be "The Former Things Will Not...Come Up Into the Heart."
That prophecy will be fulfilled in the new world, we are looking forward to living in.
(Isaiah 65:17, 18). . ."For here I am creating new heavens and a new earth; and the former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart."
Nobody asks for donations?

Oh, thats right, they just mention that there are strategically placed donation boxes every - frickin - where.

Really, why is this a point that Jdubs try to use to distinguish themselves from other religions when they love to say that they are completely supported by donation based funds? Sorta hypocritical of you all.
U R MM

Tampa, FL

#45 May 7, 2012
Caligula wrote:
<quoted text>

Oh, thats right, they just mention that there are strategically placed donation boxes every - frickin - where.
Oh, thats right, you are MM. MM and you both say Oh, thats right all the time.

Since: Aug 09

Bedfordshire, England

#46 May 8, 2012
Christian Witness wrote:
If you are somone who is really concerned about what is going to happen in the near future, I should say, what God is going to do about all the wickedness on this earth, in the near future, I would like to invite you to attend a convention of Jehovah's witnesses this Summer.
There are never any collections taken at any meetings of Jehovah's witnesses and no one ever asks for your donations. Remember to bring a bag lunch and your personal copy of your Bible, and be prepared to be educated in the ways of God's people.
The main talk on Sunday will be "The Former Things Will Not...Come Up Into the Heart."
That prophecy will be fulfilled in the new world, we are looking forward to living in.
(Isaiah 65:17, 18). . ."For here I am creating new heavens and a new earth; and the former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart."
Why would anyone want to go to a convention that historically has always got everything wrong when speaking about the future.
The main talk about the former things is quite timely. Hopefully it will explain all the wrong dates and happenings that the society said would happen, but didn't.
Nathan Homer Knorr

Middletown, NY

#47 May 8, 2012
Think of the conventions as a social event. You can gossip about people you dislike in your congregation.Good "clean" fun.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#48 May 8, 2012
Christian Witness wrote:
Why would you invite them to a convention, when you should direct them to the Bible. The bible tells us what is going to happen in the future, but it also tells us what we must do to be saved. that is to give our lives to Jesus Christ. the bible tells us to believe in Jesus and we will gain eternal life. It does not tell us to go to conventions or churchs, but to Jesus Christ.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the away, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 11:25
"Jesus said unto her, I am the Resurrection, and the Life: he that believeth in Me, though he were dead, yet shall he Live"

1John 5:11-12
11 And this is the Record, that God hath given to us Eternal Life, and this Life is in His Son. 12 He that hath the Son hath Life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not Life"

"These things have I written unto you that believe on the Name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have Eternal Life, and that ye may believe on the Name of the Son of God" (1John 5:13).

"3 And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His Commandments. 4 He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His Commandments, is a liar, and the Truth is not in him" (1John 2:3-4).

To teach that we can be saved by being a certain religion or belonging to an organization is a lie according to the bible. The scriptures above show who we must believe in and go to in order to obtain everlasting life and it is Jesus Christ.

“BIBLE TRUTHS *NEVER* CHANGE”

LET GO AND LET GOD

#49 May 8, 2012
Nathan Homer Knorr wrote:
Think of the conventions as a social event. You can gossip about people you dislike in your congregation.Good "clean" fun.
WTS conventions serve three purposes: one...these are pep rallies to keep reminding the GB's followers how "happified" and "special" they think they are told they are...

two...they are to have other devoted-to-the-WTS JWs on the stage to show how *they* can pioneer with a lot on their plate so why can't YOU do the same....

and three....to distribute the "latest releases" on the GB's "ALWAYS accurate bible knowledge" that has been re-shuffled and re-formatted to make another "new" book even possible.

All the good and obedient JWs will eagerly rush to obtain these "new releases" for their 'home libraries' and be expected to donate to the WT publishing corp for them.

Then in the car, when returning home....all the attendees will swoon and gush that THIS was "the best assembly" they ever went to, and in the coming months...they will vow to "do more" and devote more of their time to promote the unique beliefs of the WTS.

“Gods love ... poured out”

Since: Dec 06

Sacramento

#50 May 8, 2012
Christian Witness wrote:
"If you are somone who is really concerned about what is going to happen in the near future,"

>>>JWs must be getting ready to set a new date to trap more suckers.

"I would like to invite you to attend a convention of Jehovah's witnesses this Summer."

>>>Bring a pillow so you can sleep more comfortably. Be prepared to hear talks promoting the Watchtower Corporation.

"There are never any collections taken at any meetings of Jehovah's witnesses"

>>>Laughable! Who pays for the kingdom halls and conventions? not to mention all those new properties of the Watchtower Corporation?

"and be prepared to be educated in the ways of God's people."

>>>Not at one of the JW conventions. You may be "educated" in the ways of Watchtower indoctrinated Jehovah's witnesses.

"The main talk on Sunday will be "The Former Things Will Not...Come Up Into the Heart.""

>>>I have already experienced that, I have had the former things of the false Christian group called Jehovah's witnesses removed from my heart.

"That prophecy will be fulfilled in the new world, we are looking forward to living in."

>>>Keep looking! you will not find it in Jehovah's witnesses.

LET GO AND LET GOD

#51 May 8, 2012
I know that during the 70s-90's that it was quite difficult for me to save the necessary $$$ to pay for the the four days of food, lodging and gas for myself and six children to attend these conventions.

I cannot imagine, with today's economy and the gas prices being what they are....how anyone with a family can afford to go to one of these WTS pep rallies...whether they are staying at a motel or traveling back and forth for 2-3 hours to get there and 2-3 hours getting home each night.

THAT method did save some money...but it was extremely exhausting on everyone and made it very hard to keep everyone awake during the sessions.

I never said this aloud when I was a JW and dutifully following all that the GB demanded....but I would honestly ask myself "after putting forth all that effort to get there....just what new thing DID I actually learn".....and I realized that in all those 30 years....there WAS nothing substantial, new or different to be learned.
Nathan Homer Knorr

Middletown, NY

#52 May 8, 2012
Nedoba wrote:
<quoted text>
WTS conventions serve three purposes: one...these are pep rallies to keep reminding the GB's followers how "happified" and "special" they think they are told they are...
two...they are to have other devoted-to-the-WTS JWs on the stage to show how *they* can pioneer with a lot on their plate so why can't YOU do the same....
and three....to distribute the "latest releases" on the GB's "ALWAYS accurate bible knowledge" that has been re-shuffled and re-formatted to make another "new" book even possible.
All the good and obedient JWs will eagerly rush to obtain these "new releases" for their 'home libraries' and be expected to donate to the WT publishing corp for them.
Then in the car, when returning home....all the attendees will swoon and gush that THIS was "the best assembly" they ever went to, and in the coming months...they will vow to "do more" and devote more of their time to promote the unique beliefs of the WTS.
Excellent comment. You have it completely right.
Christian Witness

Muskogee, OK

#53 May 8, 2012
Jesus said it would only be those who had love and were obedient would be counted as sheep.

All the rest were counted as goats and were cut off.

All those who leave Jehovah's organization before that judgement starts, are just spiritual goats who refuse to follow direction from any spiritual brother.
Matthew 25:40

LET GO AND LET GOD

#54 May 8, 2012
Christian Witness wrote:
Jesus said it would only be those who had love and were obedient would be counted as sheep.
All those who leave Jehovah's organization before that judgement starts, are just spiritual goats who refuse to follow direction from any spiritual brother.
Your assumptions rely on the very mistaken and unprovable theory that the GB IS who they claim to be and cannot prove what they claim to do. There was no mention of any organization in the scriptures and "Jehovah" is a made up name that even your leaders have admitted to knowing.

The WTS own history has shown that their credibility, honesty and accurate bible knowledge has been a complete and utter failure....ESPECIALLY considering how these men boast of having their own channel to God...but yet can't seem to teach what HE wants them to. After a period of time....those that have discerned this foolishness to be just what it is....have left the Org to maintain the good conscience that they asked God for at baptism.

Those that have prayerfully walked away from this spiritually damaging cult....ARE continuing to search out the living God as the Creator of the universe....and have ceased following a few very mistaken and controlling men calling themselves the governing body of a religious publishing company.

Since: Feb 07

RI

#55 May 8, 2012
Ad Hominen wrote:
<quoted text>Sominex is a sponser
There has been new light on this. Lunesta is now the sponsor.

Location hidden

#56 May 9, 2012
Christian Witness wrote:
What has that scripture got to do with what you just said. First you have to prove that your religion has exclusive rights to Jehovah, you cant do this. Then you have to prove that anyone who is not a JW is not obedient and love Jehovah and Jesus, you cant do that either. No one who leaves an organization is counted as anything, that is something the GB aka F&DS has planted in your heads. Jesus is your savior, not the organization or the religion of JW's. Not any religion is your savior, Only JESUS CHRIST.

Prove from the bible that your organization was chosen to be the only true one. I think something as important as that would have been prophesied don't you?
Christian Witness

Owasso, OK

#57 May 9, 2012
Do not believe the Governing Body is the absolute authority over the witnesses, they are not, Jesus our king is, he is in control of the G.B. using God's word as our authority.

If I show anyone the Scriptures that prove Jehovah God has a people for his name, organized to accomplish his will in these last days, and this work has been accomplished world wide, it is only those who are meek and spiritually alive that would accept the truth.

You are spiritually dead, therefore spiritually blind, even tho you are alive in the flesh. You returned to the world, therefore you gave up your hope of a reward from Jehovah God.

You have no share with Jehovah's people, you have been cut off by Jehovah God's organization, that's the only way of life available and approved by Jehovah God today, because of accurate knowledge of Jehovah ONLY witnesses are given.

2Peter 2:21

Sacramento

#58 May 9, 2012
Christian Witness wrote:
Do not believe the Governing Body is the absolute authority over the witnesses, they are not, Jesus our king is, he is in control of the G.B. using God's word as our authority.
If I show anyone the Scriptures that prove Jehovah God has a people for his name, organized to accomplish his will in these last days, and this work has been accomplished world wide, it is only those who are meek and spiritually alive that would accept the truth.
You are spiritually dead, therefore spiritually blind, even tho you are alive in the flesh. You returned to the world, therefore you gave up your hope of a reward from Jehovah God.
You have no share with Jehovah's people, you have been cut off by Jehovah God's organization, that's the only way of life available and approved by Jehovah God today, because of accurate knowledge of Jehovah ONLY witnesses are given.
I know it is early and I am just having my coffee, but,...I find this comment just plain ridiculous nonsense.

Location hidden

#59 May 9, 2012
Christian Witness wrote:
You are being so deceived to believe what you have said. How can I be spiritually dead and blind when I am now more alive and have my eyes fully opened more than ever before? Just because I left a religious organization? Please explain to me how that works. I never left Jehovah, I left a religious organization. Now were in the bible does it say that we must believe in any religion, or organization, but only in Jesus.

If the GB aka F&DS is not absoulute authority over the JW's, why do they tell you that you MUST believe what they say as if it comes from Jehovahs mouth himself? Why would they tell you that you must be in association with their organization or you will be cut off? Why would they say, "To receive everlasting life in the earthly Paradise we must identify that organization and serve God as part of it." Watchtower 1983 Feb 15 p.12
The bible says..

"... obtain the salvation that is in union with Christ Jesus along with everlasting glory." 2 Timothy 2:10

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life ... He that exercises faith in the Son has everlasting life." John 3:16, 36

So you SEE ANYTHING about an organization in those scriptures. Or how about these?

"I am the door; whoever enters through me will be saved, and he will go in and out and find pasturage." John 10:9

"This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ." John 17:3

And since I have left, OH MY could did I have to go?

the GB aka F&DS says...

The Watchtower 1975 Sep 1 p.531 asks "Where could we turn if we would leave God's organization today? There is nowhere else!(John 6:66-69)". This quote refers to John 6:66-69 for support that there is no where other than the Organization. However, John makes a very different point:

"Simon Peter answered him: "Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life."" John 6:68

Straight to Jesus Christ!!!

The truth is in the bible, the word Organization is no where in the bible.

"Organization" appears 16,789 times on the 2006 Watchtower Library CD, but never in the Bible

"You were bought with a price; stop becoming slaves of men." 1 Corinthians 7:23

That price was the blood of Jesus Christ, not men who demand your total loyality.

Location hidden

#60 May 9, 2012
RedhorseWoman wrote:
<quoted text>
There has been new light on this. Lunesta is now the sponsor.
Thats about right, Lunesta has been proven to cause night terrors and I myself experienced them. What a terror it would be to have to live all of that again.

“Orlando, FL”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#61 May 9, 2012
Before the mentally diseased apostates could get their hands on and dissect ANY information regarding the convention that hadn't been released to regular publishers the society released the district program on the official site completely and utterly slaying every single demented apostate on the face of the earth.

Now have fun dissecting it while Jehovah's people get a taste of solid, spiritual meat this summer.

Continue drowning in misery while God's people go on rejoicing and enduring these last days.

Sacramento

#62 May 9, 2012
circuitoverseer wrote:
Before the mentally diseased apostates could get their hands on and dissect ANY information regarding the convention that hadn't been released to regular publishers the society released the district program on the official site completely and utterly slaying every single demented apostate on the face of the earth.
Now have fun dissecting it while Jehovah's people get a taste of solid, spiritual meat this summer.
Continue drowning in misery while God's people go on rejoicing and enduring these last days.
Your appointment with your psychiatrist is overdue.

Location hidden

#63 May 9, 2012
Another loving JW that wants every one who isn't a JW to die.

The convention will be another repeat of one that has been done before, if you have been a witness any time at all you know this. When you go to as many as I went to, you begin to realize it is all the same thing. But then, sometimes the spiritual meat spoiled along the way and it has to be traded in for NEWER meat. Have they picked a new year for Armageddon yet? I heard it was 2014 but I am not sure about that.

Why would you endure the last days? You should be happy that Jesus is about to come take us home to be safe and with him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ABC: Sexual Encounters an 'Everyday Thing' Luth... 4 min Arkham Bravo 8
What are the new heavens and the new earth? (Mar '13) 5 min joe 2,345
WHY so many cases of church abuse- 6 min Arkham Bravo 8
Watchtower annual Revenue- $951 MILLION (Nov '07) 15 min Aneirin 246
Candace Conti settled 30 min truthsetsfree 1,169
SOS supported in his lies and hypocrisy 41 min truthsetsfree 38
God does not forbid blood transfusions. 55 min Vassy 288
BBC EXPOSES the JWS. 8 hr Chief Sealth 197
"I Do NOT Permit a Woman To Teach 11 hr Maravilla 59
More from around the web